Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Most likely overthinking this buy anyway, I've transferred the Euro equivalent into my Revolut account (EUR acct, waiting for the exchange rate to improve but that's a different story!) - do I need to notify Revolut I'll be making a transfer of ~£7k? Last thing I want is them to block the transfer and freeze the account or whatever it is they do leaving me high & dry in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭skinny90

why is it soo hard to calculate vrt and duty ? Is there sites that make it easy?

VRT can be calculated on the revenue website (as long as the car is listed) It can take some trial and error finding the exact model but all you really need to do is make sure the CO2 matches what's on the V5. The duty is just 10% of the purchase price + transport costs. There is a website that will calculate it for you for €15 if you really want, but no doubt they have some disclaimer that says it may or may not be accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 22,206 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If there's duty, there's VAT on top.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

Has anyone imported an audi s3 8l 2002 lately?

Nothing showing on the vrt calculator, only showing for the newer models

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 grayyhead

Hi can anyone help me here. I bought a motorbike in Northern Ireland which was registered in 2018 before brexit so I thought I would only have to pay vrt of 555 euro. Upon bringing it there I was told that it’s under 6000 km so it’s classed as new and I would have to pay customs fees of 1700 on top of vrt. I rang the place I bought it from and they issued me a refund and took back the bike. They used it and got it over 6000 km and called me. I bought the bike back off them and got a new invoice with the proper mileage on it. I’m booked in in the next two days and I’m worried I’m going to run into problems. Has anyone experienced this. So to summarise I have a new invoice with over 6000 klm on it for the next vrt this time

• Registered Users Posts: 1 snx92

Hi, i am moving back from the uk after a year of living here. I will be moving back just 4 weeks under the 6 month requirement for vat and customs exemption is there any way I can avoid this ? Also how to i get a customs declaration? Are there any reputable agents to go through ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭jinish

Can anyone help me ?

I am importing a car from NI. This had two owners, the first registration was in 2018 (new) in Northern Ireland. He kept it on his private plate, and sold it to dealer in Newry on Dec 2020.the current owner bought it from the dealer on April 2021 and kept it on his private plate. He gave it to a dealer to sell it and I put a deposit on it.

This car reg start with BSZ. The current dealer tells me that it was always in NI. To be exempt from VAT and Customs, I need to show revenue some proof that it was in NI prior to Jan 2021. I have the current V5C, but its from April 2021. It doesn't show the address of previous keeper. I contacted Tesla Belfast to see if they can give me some sort of evidence, but no, due to GDPR, they would not. I emailed DVLA, but not hopeful. I am awaiting the purchase invoice from the current owner to see, if it has something to prove that it was in NI before 2021 Jan.

I am in love with this car and dont want to let it go. Does anybody got any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I wonder if a history check showed up that northern plate being registered to that car back in 2018, would that be a help?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,306 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If it has paper based receipts/ documentation from service history that should show the previous owners address at each time it was serviced.

Lots of these records are digital so may not be available but receipts may have been kept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭jinish

So I finally managed to get the purchase invoice of the dealer from the its first owner which was in 2020, . I think that should suffice?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,277 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

House on a street near me had an NI reg’d car for a few weeks and now seers it’s in a 202D plate. It’s a GTC4Lusso, similar models for for £170-200k; the VRT must have been €70-100k, depending on the Irish OMSP.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,306 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I think it should, it will tally with number of owners as per V5.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭vidapura

Ehhh... I just tried using the VRT Calculator on the motorcheck.ie

Is the Nox Levy in addition to the VRT ?? If so.. jayses...

Reg JRZ4429

Date of Registration May 2015

Vehicle RENAULT GRAND SCENIC 1.5DCI DYNA S NAV 110BHP 5DR

Engine CC1461 cc

Fuel Diesel

Body 5 DR

Transmission Manual

Mileage 74,720

OMSP €11,560

CO2 104 g/km

Rate of VRT 19.25%

VRT Estimate €2,225

NoX 141g/km

NoX Levy Estimate €2325

Really? so it would be €4550 to import this fecker??

Actually I notice it got the car model wrong.. its not a Grand Scenic.. its just a Scenic...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭User1998

No car has 141 grams of nox

You either left the nox blank or entered it wrong.

If your certain its 141 then enter it as 0.141

And FYI the maximum Nox a late 2015 car can have is 0.060

Hmm.. I didn't actually have to enter any nox value.. just the Reg.. and the motorcheck.ie calculator did the rest...

Seems like its not very reliable then eh? Doesn't instill much faith in their main service so..

Ok, so the Nox Levy value .. if it was right.. would be added to the VRT then ? Grand..

Really wish someone would make a proper calculator available.. you'd think the feckin revenue would do it...

Mmmyeah.. I found that one a bit fiddly.. pickin the exact model off the info provided on usedcarsni .. the info isnt really there..

And then the Nox .. on usedcarsni for a mitsubishi outlander it says "CO2 Emission 154 g/km" but putting that into the Nox box in the revenue VRT calculator it says that number is too high... so, I tried 0.154 .. and it took that but came out with a Nox Levy of €2,650... so. I'm doing something wrong probably.. heh.. not really sure if Co2 emission is the right thing is it?

Your entering the Co2 emmisions instead of Nox, so yes that is wrong

Ahh yeah, thought it might be.. but the usedcarsni and autotrader sites don't seem to show the Nox .. I'll have to find some other way.

All I'm really trying to do is get a feel for the VRT on the NI cars..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Gerry T

If you're buying in NI ask for a copy of the V5C cert. Mine had the NOX value for the car on it. You'll need the original V5C anyway to get the car registered in IRL.

Petrol cars are usually around 0.020g of Nox

Diesel cars pre 2015 you can forget about. Nox is way too high on them.

Maximum Nox for 2016+ diesels is 0.060, so just use that figure

Why use 3rd party vrt calculator when revenue do one that is reasonably good for everyday cars.

Re nox, you need to get it from the registration cert to be sure but lots of good advice here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 coisnacriann

Hi looking for advice with importing a northern reg car. Its a 2019 Ford kuga OSMP is 20k and vrt comes in around 6k but I presume that's based off UK reg. Since car has always been registered in NI would anyone have an idea of roughly how much customs I would have to pay please.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If it's been registered in NI since birth then there are no customs charges due on it.

Anyone had a car be sent to Revenue for an VRT figure recently and how long did it take? Apparently mine was outside the allowable window and had to be sent to Revenue on Saturday morning and not heard anything back yet - last car I imported the same happened but I heard the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Gerry T

For 2019 you shouldn't have vat or customs, once you can show the car was always in NI , is there wasn't an owner in say 2022 in England.

But you will have to pay the VRT.

Yeah, it says that on the document alright but just wondering if anyone had any recent experience in timeframes. Car will be 30 days in on Sunday and don't particularly want to have to pay a fine (not that it appears it'll be much) when I booked the earliest date I could for the VRT appointment

• Advertisement

Why would you have to pay a fine?

If you showed up at vrt centre at earliest available booking?

The fact that they have to go away and comeback with a figure for you is not your problem.

Advertisement