Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mankteln

That's really helpful. If it appears on the calculator is that always the value they use for OSMP? Or do they go off to gauge it from done deal etc which is a bit less predictable?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭User1998

As long as all the details match then they will use whats on the calculator. Very unlikely it will be sent off for a manual valuation

• Registered Users Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭swoofer

Nissan Qashqai

N-Connecta e=power 117g/km petrol. when I go to VRT calaculator I cant find that model unless I select a 1.5dci diesel.

Car is Nov 23 and low mileage but dont want to get bruised with wrong VRT?

Any other way to get the VRT figure?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Ekavo

Does anyone know if a car was directly imported from Japan to NI, is it ok to use the Vehicle Certification Agency for the CO2 values or does it have to come from the Japanese database (I have 0 listed on the V5C)? I'm struggling to find the info required on the MILT website, after countless searches 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Pauljmeh

looking at hybrid cars in Northern Ireland and wondering if anyone could help

Looking at 2020’s post brexit that are roughly £30k-£35k and revenue VRT calculator are coming in at €4k/€5k

Same cars are valued at €60-€70k in Dublin.

what am I missing? There’s no way there’s €15k savings to be had

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,348 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Generally what I've found is that any cars that are suited to import here without vat and duty are inflated to a price that makes the savings hardly worth while.

The cars you are looking at, are you sure they qualify for import here without vat and duty?

I thinks so…they’ve been owned in NI for over 3 months. For context I’m looking at X5s

is there something else I’m missing. Revenues VRT website is accurate and provides all import charges?

A quick search of X5 phev suggests a 2021 could be landed here for something over 55k on irish plates if vat and duty not required

Motorcorp In Dublin are selling one for under 60k.

There would appear to be 5k plus of a saving in general but I've not verified if the ones I'm looking at online are suitable for.import without vat and duty.

Not to mention the fact you might as well have no warranty when buying up North. No finance facilities and I wouldn’t imagine their trade in offers are very strong for ROI reg cars. You’d nearly be better off just buying privately in Ireland at that rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Does the previous owner to the current NI one not have to be addressed in NI also, and if so, for how long?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,205 ✭✭✭✭Esel

No, and previous owner details haven’t been shown on the V5 since GDPR was introduced

• Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭ando

Hey, I'm looking to import an EV from the UK. Other than VRT (which is zero according to the VRT calculator), are there any other payments I need to be aware of? The car will be either a 2020 or 2021 car.

Vat and duty unless the car is in use in NI. Basically 33 percent of the UK price.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

you need to read the new Revenue manual on VRT as cars manufactured in the U.K. no longer attract duty whereas cars manufactured in the EU, sold in the U.K. and transferred to Ireland will likely attract duty unless returned goods relief can be claimed. Not sure which EVs would be regarded as U.K. originating goods for customs purposes.

am I not correct in assuming that with a northern Irish car you’d only have to look after the costs provided on revenues VRT calculator?

Are there other hidden costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,205 ✭✭✭✭Esel

As long as the car has been registered to a private owner in NI (NB not a dealer) for at least 3 months, according to Revenue.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Sure, here's a revised version of your forum post for clarity and conciseness:

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice after speaking to customs, who have confused me more than helped. I've found a vehicle on DoneDeal that I've been wanting for a while, and it's finally within my budget. However, it's located in Northern Ireland, which involves dealing with VRT, VAT, and Duty.

I'm okay with VRT, but understanding the requirements for VAT and Duty before the NCT appointment is proving difficult. Here's the situation:

• The vehicle has been in private ownership for at least a year.
    • I have service records showing it has been serviced in Northern Ireland for over a year, along with MOT records.
    • The registration of the vehicle is TGZ1792, and it was registered in January 2019.

From my understanding, I don't need a customs clearance certificate since the vehicle was registered before Brexit. Upon sale, I will get the seller to sign a letter stating the date of sale and amount.

Can anyone clarify if I should get a customs agent to ensure everything is in order, or should I be okay just bringing it to the NCT for VRT?

Thanks in advance for any help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭mcw92

Can anyone clarify if I should get a customs agent to ensure everything is in order, or should I be okay just bringing it to the NCT for VRT?

No need for Customs or Vat. VRT only.

As long as you have prove to the VRT centre it was in NI the last three months, that's all you need for the VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,633 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I have a friend, permanently resident in the UK but with a second home here. She wants to bring a car across from the UK and have it here permanently. She has owned the vehicle since 2009, has low mileage and it is in great condition.

Is her only option to go through the VRT process or are there any allowances/exemptions due to her permanent address being in the UK ?

• Advertisement

Im looking to buy a second hand EV from the UK. Im trying to reduce the cost as much as possible. I read this comment online: "If a VAT registered business in the UK owned the car then UK VAT has never been paid on this car, these cars are known as VAT qualifying vehicles. You will most likely have to buy a VAT qualifying car from a car dealer in the UK and they can only sell the car excluding UK VAT if the car is being exported from the UK".

Has anyone done this or know any info about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Thanks for your reply.

The V5C has an address of the owner which is in NI. Date of last sale, so it proves he has been the owner for the last 16 months. He has also provided the service history which shows the last 2 years of service have been done by a dealer up north together with an MOT log which shows the last 2 MOT's were in the UK.

I assume all the above is more than enough.

*** on a separate note ***

I rang Applus and they said the best way to do anything is bring the V5 form or a picture of it to the VRT Test Centre and they should be able to answer it. Said no booking required.

Unfortunately, nobody wants to provide anything more than a vague answer over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jenanne

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can help. I bought a 21 Kia Ceed from a garage in Northern Ireland and went to my VRT appointment last Saturday. The person checking the car said that it had been on a private plate and that they needed evidence to show this. I contacted the garage and they sent me a hpi check result showing the car was on a private plate for 1 year and 4 months and that the plate was removed on the 17th April. I went back to the centre and showed them what I got from the garage.

They then phoned their manager and were told this wasn't sufficient evidence and that they could not VRT the car. I was told to contact My Revenue and open an enquiry. I did this on Saturday and my enquiry shows that it is in progress.

The invoice that I have shows I bought the car on the 31st May and I collected it on the 3rd of June. I am just wondering would anyone have been through similar and will I now face penalties from next week if it is not sorted.

Thank you.

Has anyone experience of clearing customs? Do you pay VAT and Customs at the same time? How long in general can one expect this to take, an hour, a few hours.. days? Do you leave the car there at the port if you cant get it done on the same day?

Yes that obviously makes sense as regards GDPR etc, not sure where I read that the previous owner needed to be in NI.

With the new regulations in place, what's not to stop some entrepreneurial private individual in the North becoming private owner of something for 3 months then 'selling' it to 'someone' down South (for a small fee), then rinse and repeat?

Nothing. But registering a strangers car in your name for 3+ months comes with its own risks

There'd be little risk if vehicle was held with the NI 'owner' for the 3 months.

Yeah I guess but me personally I would not leave my newly purchased car in a strangers home in NI for 3 months sight unseen. I would rather they post the new logbook to me while I drive the car in Ireland until it was time for VRT.

There are already several companies in NI doing this for people who have purchased UK cars with no logbooks and need one for VRT. I’m sure some of them will start registering the cars in personal names instead of company names.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭steinbock123

Would you have a name for one of those companies??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

Haven’t brought in a car since Brexit but reading lately that a UK mainland used in the North for a reasonable amount of time will not have vat added along with vrt. People above saying 3 months is reasonable amount of time. Has anyone on here done this lately. Thanks

Advertisement