Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭deezell

All in all wrote: »
    That's good to know. £200 for cert of conformity, so not worth paying that. Have technical spec from manufacturer which has nox at 0.036 so should be €180. Can't find the car on the spreadsheet.

It's really hard to search that sheet, models are all over the place, but it's very comprehensive, and its the one that revenue posted, though it may have been updated since. That's a copy I downloaded a while back. If you can find one close to it you have something to go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭monseiur

Hi all
    Hope I'm in the right tread. Cousin is considering importing a Ford Custom Van
    standard van with front seats only. (From UK) This van is just 4 months old with 3,200 miles - will the fact that the van is under 6 months old make a difference to the VRT he has to pay or does age matter ? He contacted The NCT office in Dublin but they were of little help. Just advised him to book an appointment at his local NCT office etc. etc. when he has the van imported !
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

M.

monseiur wrote: »
    Hi all
    Hope I'm in the right tread. Cousin is considering importing a Ford Custom Van
    standard van with front seats only. (From UK) This van is just 4 months old with 3,200 miles - will the fact that the van is under 6 months old make a difference to the VRT he has to pay or does age matter ? He contacted The NCT office in Dublin but they were of little help. Just advised him to book an appointment at his local NCT office etc. etc. when he has the van imported !
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

M.
    If it's less than a 4 seater from new, which it is, and can carry more than 30% of its unladen weight, the VRT is €200. VAT will have been paid in another EU country, you may have to reclaim and pay Irish VAT at 23% given the age and low milage. If you are not registered for VAT you will have to pay private car road tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Irish94

Would anyone mind helping me estimate the VRT and Nox charge for two cars if I pass on the details? Not sure if I am doing it correctly and I would really really appreciate it. Nervous buyer (always am) and I want to double check I have all my ducks in a row.

If you are willing to could you PM me? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Thanks for all the help and info!
    Read it all. Interesting read.

Can't believe you didn't put up a photo of the car at the end :pac::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Dazed2020

crystalbrite - you've put so much detail into writing that summary, I can't begin to think about how much detail you put into researching the cars, costs etc.
    What's the situation with the warranty on the battery in the 330e? I didn't think the 6yr warranty can be carried over or can you arrange for it through BMW Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭crystalbrite

Dazed2020 wrote: »
    crystalbrite - you've put so much detail into writing that summary, I can't begin to think about how much detail you put into researching the cars, costs etc.
    What's the situation with the warranty on the battery in the 330e? I didn't think the 6yr warranty can be carried over or can you arrange for it through BMW Ireland?

Ya that's the part I've probably taken the risk on. Not sure how these hybrids will age. I meant to look into the warranty more. Originally did a small bit but can't remember now what the deal with it is. The car can run fine without a charged battery so my hopes is that if something ever goes catastrophically wrong with it, the car can still drive without it 😬 hopeful thinking probably! The car is still relatively new so let's hope that's another few years down the line!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭SummerK

Do you get an invoice with VAT amount specified when buying an demo car from UK main dealer?

Am I liable to pay Irish Vat if car is over 6 month old & >6k km when invoice has zero vat?

SummerK wrote: »
    Do you get an invoice with VAT amount specified when buying an demo car from UK main dealer?

Am I liable to pay Irish Vat if car is over 6 month old & >6k km when invoice has zero vat?

No, just VRT plus Nox tax. By zero VAT I assume invoice price is inclusive of Uk VAT, i.e, you paid full UK resident
    retail used car price. The VAT is inferred as the residual VAT from when new. If the car is VAT qualifying, invoice will show the amounts separately, allowing a VAT registered company to treat it as a normal element of trading, or an exporter to claim it back from HM revenue. Be very sure you haven't paid a price which excludes the VAT because the trader never paid it in the first place, or is claiming it back on export.You will definitely have to pay irish VAT then. I assume the demo car was reg'd in which case it would have its new VAT paid.
    Ask if you are liable for an extra 20% if you were a UK private buyer, if this is the case then that's the real price of the car before you export, and no Irish VAT liable as >6 months and >6k miles. I can't remember if non vat qualifying cars' invoice would show 0 VAT, I guess they would, as it was paid in full once, can not be claimed back wholly or partially regardless of business purchase, destruction or export, so I assume they are nominally resold at 0% VAT. Last one I brought in was VAT qualifying, and invoice showed retail price in two parts, 5/6 car and 1/6 VAT. £12500 and £2500. Tread carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭SummerK

deezell wrote: »
    No, just VRT plus Nox tax. By zero VAT I assume invoice price is inclusive of Uk VAT, i.e, you paid full UK resident
    retail used car price. The VAT is inferred as the residual VAT from when new. If the car is VAT qualifying, invoice will show the amounts separately, allowing a VAT registered company to treat it as a normal element of trading, or an exporter to claim it back from HM revenue. Be very sure you haven't paid a price which excludes the VAT because the trader never paid it in the first place, or is claiming it back on export.You will definitely have to pay irish VAT then. I assume the demo car was reg'd in which case it would have its new VAT paid.
    Ask if you are liable for an extra 20% if you were a UK private buyer, if this is the case then that's the real price of the car before you export, and no Irish VAT liable as >6 months and >6k miles. I can't remember if non vat qualifying cars' invoice would show 0 VAT, I guess they would, as it was paid in full once, can not be claimed back wholly or partially regardless of business purchase, destruction or export, so I assume they are nominally resold at 0% VAT. Last one I brought in was VAT qualifying, and invoice showed retail price in two parts, 5/6 car and 1/6 VAT. £12500 and £2500. Tread carefully.

Thanks. I am told it’s non-vat qualifying car and car was registered in the name of dealer principal/manager and hence invoice will have zero vat on it. Not sure if this is normal and if I’m liable for Irish vat.
    Will give a call to revenue,

• Advertisement

SummerK wrote: »
    Thanks. I am told it’s non-vat qualifying car and car was registered in the name of dealer principal/manager and hence invoice will have zero vat on it. Not sure if this is normal and if I’m liable for Irish vat.
    Will give a call to revenue,

Like I said, if the price you're paying is the UK resident take away price, then VAT was paid on new registration, and is implied as one sixth the used retail price, but shown as zero because the car in non vat qualifying. Revenue here will not charge VAT because it was already collected and paid in another EU country, as it was 6 months ago. Anything reg'd or even imported after 31st December? Most likely 23% Irish VAT, even when if not VAT qualifying and full UK had been paid.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Are people using Revolut to transfer funds to sellers revolut account, or directly into their bank account (is that possible on revolut?).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭User1998

I used a chip and pin machine using my Revolut card

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

My car is been loaded on the 0215 stenaline arrives at 0530. Bought from main dealer and used currency fair to exchange the money. My mate pick it up for me on a car trailer he never told me how much I owe him.

Seen the car last Sunday afternoon on their website so will have it a couple hours short of a full week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 LARGElittle

Hello,

Apologies for asking what may well be covered in the thread so far, looking for some guidance and steps to take.

We have owned a car in the UK since March 2017. VW Polo 1.4 2012 reg
    Brought it to Ireland end of March 2020 on the ferry a few days before the NCT centres closed due to Covid.
    Now looking to book VRT process and NCT since they are opening back up.

Is it correct that as we already owned the car for more than 6 month before import there is no VRT charge?

Do we need to complete a TOR form (transfer of residency?

We've been checking the centres in Dublin as that where we are based but they are not accepting bookings yet, although some other centres in the country are - Can we book into any VRT/NCT test centre in the country, or does it have to be in the county we live?

Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

you don't say whether you actually did transfer your residence. Owning it is not enough on it's own.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Smartfc

I have imported a few cars from the NI/UK (and learn something new every time). Just wondering what people's opinion is on flipping cars. Does it work out significantly cheaper than the UK car supermarkets? Is there any way of find out what the cars at BCA have been achieving?

Thanks in advance?

Isambard wrote: »
    you don't say whether you actually did transfer your residence. Owning it is not enough on it's own.

Yes we did transfer our residence. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

I'd say you'll be OK then. I think you have to get clearance form the Revenue in advance but it's a long time since I did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,286 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You need to complete the TOR form and provide lots of paper proofs specified on the form relating to ownership and use of the car overseas, proof that you have given up your work/home overseas and acquired a home/work in Ireland. If adequate proof is provided, you will get an exemption letter from Revenue which you bring to the NCT centre when you go for the VRT inspection (prebooked).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

What is the NOx on a 2018 BMW X5 3.0D?

In mg/km

I can’t find a straight answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Cavanbhoy

Hi looking for advice on buying new Cla coupe180 Auto in the North. I qualify for up to 10k vrt/ vat exemption. Issuse is selling current car Cla coupe 2 year old. Do Northern irish take part exchange Southern reg.
    Or does Joe Duffy buy your car offer good prices or better of selling privately. Or are most private buyers more likely to buy from garage for peace of mind.
    Any advice much appreciated thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 73,453 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Why would you buy a new car up north if you qualify for VRT and VAT exemption?
    Are they actually cheaper before tax?

I’d also imagine your trade in is more valuable down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Cavanbhoy

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Why would you buy a new car up north if you qualify for VRT and VAT exemption?
    Are they actually cheaper before tax?

I’d also imagine your trade in is more valuable down here.

Hi a lot better spec on car in north. Both cars work out at same price. But as you say my problem is selling my own car.
    Cla coupe 180 auto 42. 5 k list price would get 10k off
    CLA Coupe 180 auto premium plus works out 33k euro would not have any vrt to pay

Cavanbhoy wrote: »
    Hi a lot better spec on car in north. Both cars work out at same price. But as you say my problem is selling my own car.
    Cla coupe 180 auto 42. 5 k list price would get 10k off
    CLA Coupe 180 auto premium plus works out 33k euro would not have any vrt to pay

Can Joe Duffy not take in your car as a trade in regardless of your VRT exemption? This is just paperwork to them, it reduces the new car cost by 10K as invoiced to you, no vrt or vat. Their trade in offer should be the same as their margin will be the same. They supply diplomatic all the time. Is your trade in diplomatic exempt or was it bought full vrt/vat paid? If it also was exempt, there are rules for selling back to the market.

Marcusm wrote: »
    You need to complete the TOR form and provide lots of paper proofs specified on the form relating to ownership and use of the car overseas, proof that you have given up your work/home overseas and acquired a home/work in Ireland. If adequate proof is provided, you will get an exemption letter from Revenue which you bring to the NCT centre when you go for the VRT inspection (prebooked).

Legend man, thanks a million for this, very clear.
    I couldn't see it laid out this way on citizensinfo or the revenue site, very much appreciated!

We have all the paperwork from car purchase, all services, MOTs, Gov Uk ownership forms etc etc so hopefully all ok.

Thank again

• Registered Users Posts: 10,286 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Legend man, thanks a million for this, very clear.
    I couldn't see it laid out this way on citizensinfo or the revenue site, very much appreciated!

We have all the paperwork from car purchase, all services, MOTs, Gov Uk ownership forms etc etc so hopefully all ok.

Thank again

They’ll also want to see payslips (if applicabke) from each jurisdiction and proof of former residence (lease or ownership documentation) and similar for Ireland. It’s not just car paperwork, it’s proving that you were resident abroad and are now resident here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Cavanbhoy wrote: »
    I qualify for up to 10k vrt/ vat exemption.

How does somebody qualify for a 10k VRT/VAT exemption? I'd love to save 10k on a new car? Do you have to vote Fianna Fail?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,453 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

How does somebody qualify for a 10k VRT/VAT exemption? I'd love to save 10k on a new car? Do you have to vote Fianna Fail?

Disabled drivers get this.

Advertisement