Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

deezell wrote: »
    Dpf light can come when the pressure differential pre and post exhaust rises too high, and doesn't respond to a regen, or the regen either can't occur or doesn't occur correctly. It will also come on when the differential rise returns in too short a time, indicating that the dpf is near end of life. Regen can be blocked by the car ecu if any glow plugs are faulty, or the glow plug relay has a faulty output (There are often per plug connections on the relay). Regen won't happen if the engine temperature/revs are insufficient, hence the blast down the motorway to get a regen to kick in, not to clear the dpf in itself, though it helps. A regen can occur but fail to clear a near end of life dpf. A regen can also be compromised by a clogged fuel filter, which inhibits the overfueling cycle of the regen from raising the exhaust gas temperature sufficiently. With the exception of a dead glowplug, the rest are all mostly older car problems.

I unfortunately know most of the above through spending over 4500 on a DPF warranty claims on a 6 year old Opel.

My point was, unless the poster has already been told the DPF needs to be replaced, it’s highly unlikely that in a 1 year old car that it does. Again, anything is possible.

Thread gone very off topic!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭deezell

L-M wrote: »
    That’s exactly what I thought prior to investigating further, but a friend (Car dealer) is adamant that it’s correct.

All new cars would be VAT qualifying anyway, they wouldn’t be VAT margin.

Do you mean new as in brand new unregistered, or VAT new as in < 6 months < 6000km? The latter may not be VAT qualifying if it was privately owned in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

Has anyone managed to book an appointment to vrt their car recently?
    I’m getting a car next week from the uk and had a look at booking an appointment but there are no appointments anywhere?
    The revenue site states that they are open from June 29th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

maddness wrote: »
    Has anyone managed to book an appointment to vrt their car recently?
    I’m getting a car next week from the uk and had a look at booking an appointment but there are no appointments anywhere?
    The revenue site states that they are open from June 29th.

Made one last week for the 7th.

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Made one last week for the 7th.

Fair enough but I just looked and there are no appointments anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭SummerK

maddness wrote: »
    Fair enough but I just looked and there are no appointments anywhere.

I see appointments are available in Dundalk and Ballinasloe. They may be available for other places post 29-June.

SummerK wrote: »
    I see appointments are available in Dundalk and Ballinasloe. They may be available for other places post 29-June.

Michellie posted something recently about loitering around the centre and asking for a no show? Or maybe phoning. Go back a few posts.

Michellie posted something recently about loitering around the centre and asking for a no show? Or maybe phoning. Go back a few posts.

Thanks, I’ll have a look

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭User1998

Usually when its busy like now there are no appointments on the website and you have to call and get one that way, you get a text a few days later with a date and time, I’ve only ever been able to book online when Nox was introduced and everyone stopped importing for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Do you mean new as in brand new unregistered, or VAT new as in < 6 months < 6000km? The latter may not be VAT qualifying if it was privately owned in the UK.

Sorry I meant brand new unregistered. Not the Irish definition of new

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Filling in the vrtvpd2 form, it asks for the vat amount, invoice from the dealer says no vat so just want to double check here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Filling in the vrtvpd2 form, it asks for the vat amount, invoice from the dealer says no vat so just want to double check here.

Leave it blank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭djan

Does anyone have any solid resources as where to find Nox values for cars between the 2012 and 2014 range? Looking specifically at the MB C204 series but can't seem to find anything online.

Basically trying to see the difference between a c180 and a c220cdi as they seem to be going for similair money.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,286 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

L-M wrote: »
    Sorry I meant brand new unregistered. Not the Irish definition of new

It’s not the Irisf definition though, it’s an EU wide definition of a New Means of Transport (equiv rules for boats and planes) requiring local VAT to be paid. Issues arise if bought privately in one U.K. for import into another as the first VAT may not be recoverable.

djan wrote: »
    Does anyone have any solid resources as where to find Nox values for cars between the 2012 and 2014 range? Looking specifically at the MB C204 series but can't seem to find anything online.

Basically trying to see the difference between a c180 and a c220cdi as they seem to be going for similair money.

http://www.emissionsfinder.com/

DVLA Site;
    https://www.gov.uk/co2-and-vehicle-tax-tools

ROS Nox Excell sheet
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zig2407cRrC2i6HTPlKsVQuPydMazvjM/view?usp=drivesdk

Thank you so much. Was looking through the DVLA site but couldn't find it, and the spreadheet is fantastic too! :)

Thank you so much. Was looking through the DVLA site but couldn't find it, and the spreadheet is fantastic too! :)

Here's DVLA 2012 c200 cdi auto 17" stop start. Whopping Nox.
    https://carfueldata.vehicle-certification-agency.gov.uk/search-new-or-used-cars.aspx?vid=803298

Anyone waiting for a VRT appointment there is plenty available around the country today.

Looks like I'll have to go for a petrol, shame that there are so few C250 '13 around as I'm worried the C180 will be a bit lacklustre...

• Advertisement

Looks like I'll have to go for a petrol, shame that there are so few C250 '13 around as I'm worried the C180 will be a bit lacklustre...

It would be if you drive c250 first. Nox even lower on these. Only 15
    https://carfueldata.vehicle-certification-agency.gov.uk/search-new-or-used-cars.aspx?vid=833321
    There's a nice grey 2013 coupe on auto trader, looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TripleSSS

Pmoylan wrote: »
    It seems they will be processing them until the end of this year.

From the RSA Website: https://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Brexit/NCT-EU-Roadworthiness-Certificates/

"When the United Kingdom (UK) leaves the European Union (EU), NCTS on behalf of the RSA will continue to process Mutual Recognition applications up until 31 December 2020 (current transition period) in respect of UK private vehicles being imported into the State. These recognition certificates recognise the unexpired portion of EU certificates of roadworthiness issued by a Member State in respect of a vehicle being re-registered in the State."

18. on NCT Website: https://www.ncts.ie/1112

Where can you get the original or a certified true copy of your out of state roadworthiness certificate (MOT in my case)? Just received my car yesterday, to get an NCT from the MOT do I have to do this after VRT (I'm booked in for VRT in two weeks time).

Thanks

If you lean towards late 2014 reg, 64 reg in UK, you will get the updated model C Class, euro 6 standard or ULEZ in the UK. The right car will have CO2 as low as 103-110 depending on wheels, transmission, S/S etc. Nox is only 56, so typical VRT+Nox charge is about €2384.
    Heres an example for £10K, currently €11,100 on revolut. VRT stat code is 42287263, €2384. With Ferry etc, you have a 142 reg 220D new model W205 C class for under €14K, and loads of power.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202002137290581

There's the odd one here close to that, nice one here in Tralee, but miles are high.
    http://www.carsireland.ie/2550395

• Registered Users Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

TripleSSS wrote: »
    Where can you get the original or a certified true copy of your out of state roadworthiness certificate (MOT in my case)? Just received my car yesterday, to get an NCT from the MOT do I have to do this after VRT (I'm booked in for VRT in two weeks time).

Thanks

They don't issue certs anymore over there like we do. I just had a print off from the MOT website. I'd no hassle getting the NCT transfer with it.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

hoodie6029 wrote: »
    They don't issue certs anymore over there like we do. I just had a print off from the MOT website. I'd no hassle getting the NCT transfer with it.

The do still issue MOT certs, it's the tax discs that the don't issue anymore.

mgn wrote: »
    The do still issue MOT certs, it's the tax discs that the don't issue anymore.

I beg to differ from personal experience. If you've something useful to say to this poster who asked a question, say it. Otherwise....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,286 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

hoodie6029 wrote: »
    I beg to differ from personal experience. If you've something useful to say to this poster who asked a question, say it. Otherwise....

Some centres don’t give them out but the rules say that they must. Some centres/garages don’t bother as they know the customer can print them off at home. However, you cannot extrapolate from your personal experience of not receiving one to suggest that they are no longer issues physically on completion of the test.

Perhaps you and mgn could start another thread on the finer points of the MOT certs rather than dragging this OT since you are both so fond of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 immensecotors

Clueless car buyer here - Planning on buying in the UK in September, quick question here if anyone has the time.

Is the Definitive guide from years ago still relevant? From what i gather this is the modus operandi i should approach this with:

* Research Car and calculate VRT (correct NOx values etc)
    * Find the specific car and get it checked by RAC
    * Book flights/hotel and ferry for coming home
    * Organize dealer to collect me from the airport
    * Pay with Revolut
    * Ferry Home
    * Visit tax office and pay the VRT (unfortunately).

Any tips is much appreciated, just for context i am planning on purchasing an Audi A5 Sline between 2013-2014 for between 9-10k(Sterling), hopefully.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

bring the V5C with you or walk away from the deal.

Advertisement