Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 immensecotors

bump

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

Quick question - looking at buying a 2018 Mitsubishi L200 from the North. Price quoted is £15k + VAT.

Had a quick skim over the buying from the UK guide and it says there should be no VAT payable unless the car is new or less than 6k on the clock. Am I understanding this correctly that I wouldn't be liable for VAT in either jurisdiction? Or have I got this arse ways?

Never bought from UK before and completely clueless. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,286 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

ek motor wrote: »
    Quick question - looking at buying a 2018 Mitsubishi L200 from the North. Price quoted is £15k + VAT.

Had a quick skim over the buying from the UK guide and it says there should be no VAT payable unless the car is new or less than 6k on the clock. Am I understanding this correctly that I wouldn't be liable for VAT in either jurisdiction? Or have I got this arse ways?

It’s a commercial vehicle so quoted plus VAT as VAT reg’d persons can get it without UK VAT for export or U.K. VAT reg’d business can recover VAT.

I'm having a car delivered in the morning. Turns out even after all my making sure he understood what to do, I think yer man that sold it to me is after sending the v5c to the DVLA..I've rang the DVLA and they said they will generally send it back to the garage, but it's looking like it's going to be a headache.. I'll ring them again next week, hopefully.. would there be any possiblity of an extension with the way everything is at the minute?..

hoodie6029 wrote: »
    Perhaps you and mgn could start another thread on the finer points of the MOT certs rather than dragging this OT since you are both so fond of them.

Perhaps point that high-powered perception at yourself and recognise that the false statements which have diverted it came:cool: only from you!

• Advertisement

I'm having a car delivered in the morning. Turns out even after all my making sure he understood what to do, I think yer man that sold it to me is after sending the v5c to the DVLA..I've rang the DVLA and they said they will generally send it back to the garage, but it's looking like it's going to be a headache.. I'll ring them again next week, hopefully.. would there be any possiblity of an extension with the way everything is at the minute?..

Was this a private sale? Dealer would generally update records online if they have the facility. You need the original document so keep up whatever pressure/leverage you have to get him to turn it around to you. Any VRT penalty only arises after 30 days so you have some time.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Was this a private sale? Dealer would generally update records online if they have the facility. You need the original document so keep up whatever pressure/leverage you have to get him to turn it around to you. Any VRT penalty only arises after 30 days so you have some time.

No, it was from a dealer..Tbh I just don't know how much faith I have in yer man.. I'll get on to him again tomorrow.. Yeah, if I've to wait for it to go back to the garage from the DVLA and then over here though, that 30 days could pass..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭deezell

ek motor wrote: »

It also has a lower rate of VRT of 13.3% as its "sort of" commercial, with 4 seats, so VRT about €3k, no Nox on these either, afaik. If you have a VAT no. you don't pay UK VAT, or you do and claim it back. If you're a private customer, pay the UK VAT, then the VRT. Without a VAT no, or commercial use for your employment, road tax on commercials is private road tax rates based on CC, not emissions, so at 2442cc, €1080 yearly.

What's the consensus on buying a car from the UK for 10k Sterling, is it worthwhile. I am looking at Audi A5s and the quality of the car seems much higher and it looks like i'd save atleast a grand or two. Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

bump

Bump?after not much more than 2 hours and less than a hour after I at least replied

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,453 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What's the consensus on buying a car from the UK for 10k Sterling, is it worthwhile. I am looking at Audi A5s and the quality of the car seems much higher and it looks like i'd save atleast a grand or two. Thoughts?

Go for it, just beware nox charge on 2015 and older as it could be €2k+ depending. Check this for the particular car as per the V5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Marcusm wrote: »
    Perhaps point that high-powered perception at yourself and recognise that the false statements which have diverted it came:cool: only from you!

I don't think we're reading the same thread. I'll see you over on your MOT thread.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Go for it, just beware nox charge on 2015 and older as it could be €2k+ depending. Check this for the particular car as per the V5

Cheers bud

• Registered Users Posts: 45,399 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Bought a car in the UK a few years ago. Saved a few quid and got a much higher spec.

Is it still worthwhile going over to buy? Are savings as good as they were in 2018?

It depends. The biggest savings are on new cars or certain hybrids.
    Older diesels (pre 15) aren’t as good value as they were, and cars in general are that little bit more expensive than they were a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,399 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

It depends. The biggest savings are on new cars or certain hybrids.
    Older diesels (pre 15) aren’t as good value as they were, and cars in general are that little bit more expensive than they were a few years ago.

As you were so, or until Brexit transition period ends in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,225 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Nox charge they introduced at the beginning of this year on top of VRT has reduced the savings on older stuff especially pre Euro6 diesel cars. There is no one size fits all rule regarding savings though.

6 wrote: »
    Bought a car in the UK a few years ago. Saved a few quid and got a much higher spec.

Is it still worthwhile going over to buy? Are savings as good as they were in 2018?
    According to some UK media used prices are down due to Covid, upcoming brexit etc. Euro 6 diesels not so badly hit by Nox charge, as the diesel VRT dropped by 1% on its introduction. Some good value in Mercedes from about 2014 on with 100-110 mg Co2 emissions, low VRT rate, about €2370 inc Nox.. Biggest difference is the exchage rate, currently about 2% better at the moment than 'a few years ago', though last year in August I exchanged at almost £0.92 to the €, saved over 3% by fortunate timing, about €500 on my purchase. Right now it's just over .90, so I would consider this a positive factor. I'd be shopping about now if I was in the market, after Dec 31st there will probably be 23% VAT added, which will tear the h**e out of private importing, and possibly dealer importing also, as most UK used cars cannot recover UK VAT on export. Expect indigenous used stock here to leap up in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Top Dog

deezell wrote: »
    According to some UK media used prices are down due to Covid, upcoming brexit etc.
    I'm following an interesting thread on pistonheads for the least few weeks, and it seems used cars are holding their prices, and in many cases going for more than book value at auctions. Traders are struggling to get good used stock to replace the units they've sold. Lots of sales due to pent up demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭User1998

I’ve been watching Golf GTE’s on Autotrader recently and two I had my eye on were increased by £1,000

• Advertisement

I'd been keeping an eye on Mercedes 220D sport spec manual, 3 year edge of warranty cars. There's similar or better value to last year, perhaps a little more choice in the sub £14.5k bracket, and also in lower miles examples. Less of the unrealistic prices of 2019 perhaps, although the same car in AMG spec seems to demand a large premium out of all proportion to what you get extra, if anything. Lack of new car sales is going to steady used demand, as the dealers compete for the trade in, PCP and fleet stock. If your'e a UK used purchaser, there's plenty of value in the unloved sub euro6 diesels, but these are the very ones hammered by Nox Tax. We live in Interesting times.

Any truth in March and September being the best months to purchase a used car in the UK, something to do with registration technicalities if i'm not mistaken? Excuse the ignorance

Any truth in March and September being the best months to purchase a used car in the UK, something to do with registration technicalities if i'm not mistaken? Excuse the ignorance

Yes, that's the 2 months where their registration year changes.

Funny setup this year with Brexit looming and CV19. Demand drives price, and perceived value in the market drives demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

Spent some time searching through this thread but it's so large by now.
    Question, would like to import a car form the Uk but not sure in theses unusual times is it best to put out car on donedeal or approach a vendor who deals with second hand cars or is it best to go to an importer who will take your car as part trade. I was looking at ukcarimports and while they seem to have an ok selection, they don't seem to be overy interested in direct trade-ins.
    Does anyone know a reputable importer from the Uk who will take trade-ins?

What’s your trade in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

regedit wrote: »
    Spent some time searching through this thread but it's so large by now.
    Question, would like to import a car form the Uk but not sure in theses unusual times is it best to put out car on donedeal or approach a vendor who deals with second hand cars or is it best to go to an importer who will take your car as part trade. I was looking at ukcarimports and while they seem to have an ok selection, they don't seem to be overy interested in direct trade-ins.
    Does anyone know a reputable importer from the Uk who will take trade-ins?

Sold my car on DoneDeal last week after importing a new one, got what I wanted for it.

What’s your trade in
    If you're asking me, a Skoda Superb L&K 141, diesel

Is it a uk imported car?

Reason I’m asking is some NI dealers would take an ex uk car as it’s easily registered, plus there should be a VRT rebate if VRT was paid. They’ll have no interest in putting uk plates on an original Irish car, but often have traders down here who’ll buy such tradeins off them.

I would sooner put the car on donedeal. L&K is a seriously nice and rare spec, and there are buyers out there for it.
    You’re in a much easier position then, browsing cars on mainland UK and NI, knowing what you have to spend straight off.

Your other option is buying from an Irish (ROI) garage who is making a margin on the uk car. It’s the least hassle, it may not be the cheapest way of doing it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

What u looking for this time?

• Advertisement

What u looking for this time?

A Golf (2019) or Skoda Karoq (2019). I know different cars completely but trying to make up our mind

Advertisement