Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Is it a uk imported car?

Reason I’m asking is some NI dealers would take an ex uk car as it’s easily registered, plus there should be a VRT rebate if VRT was paid. They’ll have no interest in putting uk plates on an original Irish car, but often have traders down here who’ll buy such tradeins off them.

I would sooner put the car on donedeal. L&K is a seriously nice and rare spec, and there are buyers out there for it.
    You’re in a much easier position then, browsing cars on mainland UK and NI, knowing what you have to spend straight off.

Your other option is buying from an Irish (ROI) garage who is making a margin on the uk car. It’s the least hassle, it may not be the cheapest way of doing it.
    colm_mcm
    No, It's an Irish car (Pilsen Skoda), serviced regularly with main dealer. It's a top of the range L&K tbh with many extras which may no longer be relevant

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

regedit wrote: »
    colm_mcm
    No, It's an Irish car (Pilsen Skoda), serviced regularly with main dealer. It's a top of the range L&K tbh with many extras which may no longer be relevant

What part of country are u in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

What part of country are u in ?
    Kildare, Naas

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭F5500

Hi there lads. I've been trying to calculate the VRT on bringing a car down from the North. I've come up with numbers from 1-4k so I'm in need of assistance :o

It's a 2009 BMW 520D M Sport LCI with 150k miles, probably worth around £5k. Anyone care to point me in the right direction? Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,648 ✭✭✭User1998

Have you not heard about the new Nox charge? It will be crazy money on an 09 520D

• Advertisement

User1998 wrote: »
    Have you not heard about the new Nox charge? It will be crazy money on an 09 520D

I've never looked at importing before so I'm fairly clueless tbh.

A 520D of that age in from the North will be a non-runner then?

Pretty much anything diesel older than 2016 is a non runner. Petrol is grand for the most part

Pretty much anything diesel older than 2016 is a non runner. Petrol is grand for the most part

Bah, I should have known the value on them up there was too good to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Tiger72

Right i hope alot of people will read this an advise me :
    So i bought a car in late February it came into the country in a transporter so there is no record of it coming into the port . There was no V5 with it and it had to be applied for ( All Legit i have a receipt or it ). I got a friend in the UK to apply for the V5 which he did in Mid March but with the Lockdown in the UK the DVLA were only dealing with front line workers so even though this normally takes six weeks it went on and on and on - and to be honest i thought it would be the end of the year before ide see it .
    Anyway it arrived last week so now i can actually VRT it .I only started driving it last Friday because of this and did not want to because i couldnt be dealing with Guards asking awkward questions -
    'You have it since last February - why did you not VRT it ' ??????
    ' You only have it with two days ?? why arn't you self isolating '??????
    Couldnt be dealing with that .
    So what are my options i don't want to pay any fine , its a car with a value of €30,000 and a VRT bill of €5,000 + Nox. Can i tell them i brought in through the North from Scotland ?? I bought it off Arthur Daly in the North ? here's the receipt .Also the date on the V5 of new owner is 20th June and on the first page 'Acquired vehicle 24th Febuary' .

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

F5500 wrote: »
    Hi there lads. I've been trying to calculate the VRT on bringing a car down from the North. I've come up with numbers from 1-4k so I'm in need of assistance :o

It's a 2009 BMW 520D M Sport LCI with 150k miles, probably worth around £5k. Anyone care to point me in the right direction? Many thanks.

Nox charge for that is €3600 on top of VRT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭wassie

Tiger72 wrote: »
    So i bought a car in late February it came into the country in a transporter so there is no record of it coming into the port . There was no V5 with it and it had to be applied for ( All Legit i have a receipt or it ). I got a friend in the UK to apply for the V5 which he did in Mid March but with the Lockdown in the UK the DVLA were only dealing with front line workers so even though this normally takes six weeks it went on and on and on - and to be honest i thought it would be the end of the year before ide see it .
    Anyway it arrived last week so now i can actually VRT it .I only started driving it last Friday because of this and did not want to because i couldnt be dealing with Guards asking awkward questions -
    So what are my options i don't want to pay any fine , its a car with a value of €30,000 and a VRT bill of €5,000 + Nox. Can i tell them i brought in through the North from Scotland ?? I bought it off Arthur Daly in the North ? here's the receipt .Also the date on the V5 of new owner is 20th June and on the first page 'Acquired vehicle 24th Febuary' .

You can tell them anything you want. But start by reading the FAQ on the VRT website that gives a checklist of documents get registered, that includes:

Evidence of the date of entry of a vehicle into the State
    • This can include shipping details, travel documents, SAD number or evidence of vehicle storage outside the State where the invoice is dated more than 30 days earlier than the date the vehicle is presented for registration

and
    If you import a vehicle to Ireland you are required to register and pay the VRT due on the vehicle within 30 days. If you fail to do so the following penalties apply.
    • Vehicles in the State more than 60 days but not more than 6 months - The following penalties apply: Category A vehicles: 10% of OMSP, subject to a minimum of € 200

Options:
    (i) Appeal after paying the penalty, or
    (ii) Take it out of the state and re-import it and gather your evidence.

Could you put it down for the price you bought it for for the valuation of the fine?..I could end up in a similar situation, I've a few weeks before the 30 days is up, but the dealer sent off the v5 after o saying it to her man 5 times anyway..

Is the fine 5% of value?..

Late penalties are:

VRT amount x 0.001 x Amount of days late

Eg. €5,000 x 0.001 x 60 = €300

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think the late penalty fine is 0.5% per day of the VRT amount owed for every day over the original 30 days you had to complete the registration process. They have no interest in what you bought it for in another country.

Late penalties are:

Ah, ok, that isn't as bad as I thought.. thanks..

There's a fair difference between .5 and .001 though..

And also if you can prove when the car entered the country they assume that the car entered the country the day the UK road tax expired, so it might be better to just show up and say you lost the ferry ticket depending on when the tax expired

Quote:
    If you import a vehicle to Ireland you are required to register and pay the VRT due on the vehicle within 30 days. If you fail to do so the following penalties apply.
    Vehicles in the State more than 60 days but not more than 6 months - The following penalties apply: Category A vehicles: 10% of OMSP, subject to a minimum of € 200

This is a very different number too though, is it?..
    I saw similar saying 5 % I thought..

From the official VRT manual page 20:

Outstanding VRT on Late/Incorrect Registration

This section provides for liability for the payment of VRT, the raising of a VRT assessment, and how this assessment is calculated. Each District should ensure that only an authorised officer for the purposes of Section 99A, Finance Act 2001 (as inserted by Section 46, Finance (No. 2) Act 2008) signs or issues a Notice of Assessment. Section 62, Finance (No. 2) Act 2008 amends Section 132, Finance Act, 1992 and provides for an additional VRT charge (where, for example, a vehicle has not been registered within the 30 day limit) calculated using the formula A x P x N where A is the VRT, P is 0.1% and N is the number of days

https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/vehicle-registration-tax/vrt-manual-section-01.pdf

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Nox charge for that is €3600 on top of VRT.

Jeeeaysus. That draws a line under that plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭deezell

Late penalties are:

This is the correct rate for late registration. Ignore all the others.

The NCT centres closed on the 28th March, at which point your registration was only 4 days overdue. You will not have to pay for the period during lockdown. Limited VRT reg only resumed on the 15th of June, so as of now you are late by 4 plus 23 days, 27 days and rising, by 0.1% by the VRT.
    You may be asked for the full late payment, and have to apply for the lockdown period refund. This is your best honest strategy, get a VRT appointment asap, and appeal the penalty down due to Covid days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

i think the penalty is reckoned right back to the day of import.

Quote:
    Vehicles in the State more than 60 days but not more than 6 months - The following penalties apply: Category A vehicles: 10% of OMSP, subject to a minimum of € 200

This is a very different number too though, is it?..
    I saw similar saying 5 % I thought..
    From the official VRT manual page 20:

Outstanding VRT on Late/Incorrect Registration

This section provides for liability for the payment of VRT, the raising of a VRT assessment, and how this assessment is calculated. Each District should ensure that only an authorised officer for the purposes of Section 99A, Finance Act 2001 (as inserted by Section 46, Finance (No. 2) Act 2008) signs or issues a Notice of Assessment. Section 62, Finance (No. 2) Act 2008 amends Section 132, Finance Act, 1992 and provides for an additional VRT charge (where, for example, a vehicle has not been registered within the 30 day limit) calculated using the formula A x P x N where A is the VRT, P is 0.1% and N is the number of days

https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/vehicle-registration-tax/vrt-manual-section-01.pdf

Look not been smart - i know all this - but i wonder , and this might sound 'cumbersome' could you drive the car up the North (not the motorway) turn around and declare it in some customs office this side of the border ?
    Or another thought could i register it to someone in the North ? i wonder how long would that take ? Any information on that ?

What do ye take from this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭monseiur

Tiger72 wrote: »

If, as I assume, the V5 is still in your UK's friend name can he/she not ''sell'' the car to you and issue an invoice dated say last Thursday. Book an appointment for VRT etc. and present the invoice as proof of date of purchase in the UK......it may be some time before you get an appointment and the ferry ticket will be accidently 'recycled' in the meantime by an over enthusiastically green other half:p or gone in the washing machine in the back pocket of your favourite jeans.
    The VRT office may accept the date on invoice as the date you became the legal owner of the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭All in all

Does anyone know the waiting times for a VRT figure when the car isn't in the system?

monseiur wrote: »
    If, as I assume, the V5 is still in your UK's friend name can he/she not ''sell'' the car to you and issue an invoice dated say last Thursday. Book an appointment for VRT etc. and present the invoice as proof of date of purchase in the UK......it may be some time before you get an appointment and the ferry ticket will be accidently 'recycled' in the meantime by an over enthusiastically green other half:p or gone in the washing machine in the back pocket of your favourite jeans.
    The VRT office may accept the date on invoice as the date you became the legal owner of the vehicle.

Does anyone think this might work?..I have invoice etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

F5500 wrote: »
    Jeeeaysus. That draws a line under that plan.

Takes the shine off it alright.

All in all wrote: »
    Does anyone know the waiting times for a VRT figure when the car isn't in the system?

Around 4-10 days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Does anyone think this might work?..I have invoice etc..

No! Revenue have heard every bull**** excuse in the book plus a lot more.

Better to blame it on Covid. You only bought it in late Feb. so we were locked down for most of it. The VRT will be based on the current OMSP so will be lower than it would have been in March. Yes you could register it to some mate in the North but so could everyone importing a car from the UK. You still run the risk of being stopped if you're driving on UK plates.

• Advertisement

monseiur wrote: »

Wont work - they require paperwork for when it entered the state ....
    Just some more information the car entered the state on the 02 Mar 2020

Advertisement