Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭User1998

Lads does anyone know the VRT booking phone number?? I can’t find it anywhere online it looks like they removed it and the online booking says there not taking appointments :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭wassie

VRT - BOOK NOW Phone: 01-4135975

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭tom francy

Why would a uk garage not sell to a non resident, looking at a vw main dealer over there and he sayers it has to be sold to a uk address,second hand car,
    I have been looking for the last month and a few emails to dealers they had no problem with it.:confused:

Company policy / too hard / ignorance - take your pick. Mercedes Benz UK have had this policy in place for some time for both new & used cars. When I had this issue and dealer wouldn't budge, I was able to provide a N.I. address and new V5C was sent there. Wasn't even a house, but a business address - as long as it has a postcode.

You could try pointing the dealer to the UK Gov website that deals with selling for export - https://www.gov.uk/responsibilities-selling-vehicle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭deezell

Tiger72 wrote: »
    What do ye take from this ?

You're sorted, that's what. Get appointment asap, they'll only be interested in the V5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

So I live in the UK, and a friend of mine wants to buy a BMW 330e from a garage down the road from me. I'll pop in and check it out on Saturday, and he'll pay cash if it looks good, but my friend obviously wants to avoid an extra name on the car, and any financial complications (if there are any to consider).

I'm happy to hold onto the car in my house until he can sort out transporting it back to Ireland but having never done anything like this I've no idea whether it should be straightforward or if there's anything I need to look out for? I'll find out on Saturday whether he needs a UK address to register is to I guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,225 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If he doesn't want an extra owner on the car then he should not need any UK address. As he is a non UK resident and buying for permanent export then the dealer should follow the DVLA procedure which means he gives your friend the full V5c registration document with the car. The dealer can still fill out and send off the permanent export section of the V5c to the DVLA but the dealer must give your friend the entire V5C registration document otherwise he will not be able to re-register it here in Ireland. If the dealer is unsure of the procedure then point them to this - https://www.gov.uk/taking-vehicles-out-of-uk because alot of UK dealers are unfamiliar with the process and just send off the V5c to the DVLA with a change of ownership. And the DVLA will not post the new V5 to an Irish address.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭All in all

All in all wrote: »
    Does anyone know the waiting times for a VRT figure when the car isn't in the system?

To answer my own question, presented car on Friday and got email today so 2 working days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Hey guys, there was a definitive guide in the past that broke down all of the steps needed to import a car from UK, i used it myself a few years ago however for some reason, i cant seem to find it. Does anyone have the thread where it details this as this thread only goes back to the start of this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Dazed2020

Fol20 wrote: »
    Hey guys, there was a definitive guide in the past that broke down all of the steps needed to import a car from UK, i used it myself a few years ago however for some reason, i cant seem to find it. Does anyone have the thread where it details this as this thread only goes back to the start of this year.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=176389

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Tiger72

deezell wrote: »
    You're sorted, that's what. Get appointment asap, they'll only be interested in the V5.
    I have it booked in for Wed 29th July .... ill let ye know how i get on :)

I just got on to the dealer again to get him to follow up with the DVLA..
    Turns out the administration staff hadn't sent off the V5 yet, so they are going to post it over today..

Woohoo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

I'm thinking of bringing in a 2011 VW CADDY MAXI van 1.6 and even after reading quite a bit, I'm still not sure if it will be liable for a NOX charge? I went on the revenue VRT site to see if I could get an idea of VRT charge and put in VW commercial but the only option is Amarok? is it a flat €200 VRT rate on a Caddy??

newmember? wrote: »
    I'm thinking of bringing in a 2011 VW CADDY MAXI van 1.6 and even after reading quite a bit, I'm still not sure if it will be liable for a NOX charge? I went on the revenue VRT site to see if I could get an idea of VRT charge and put in VW commercial but the only option is Amarok? is it a flat €200 VRT rate on a Caddy??
    Its €200, no Nox.
    If the vehicle's permissible gross loaded weight is more than it's unladen weight (with fuel, driver) by 30%, and was always 3 seat max, then €200 VRT, else 13% of OMSP. There's no Nox charge. Road tax will be by engine cc if you can't prove commercial usage, (vat no, small trader, employer's requirement, farmer), €514 for up to 1.6 engine, €710 for 2l, while commercial road tax is €333.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Jesper

I put the below vehicle English registration into motorcheck and got the below back. I am trying to learn more about the new requirements 2020.

Is the VRT payable figure the total value I will owe it is there NOx or other charges I could get hit with? Hire long can it be in the ROI before I pay the VRT?

Date of Registration March 2018
    Vehicle AUDI Q5 2.0 TDI SLINE QUAT 190PS 5DR A
    Engine CC 1968 cc
    Fuel Diesel
    Body 5 DR
    Transmission Automatic
    Mileage 30,000
    OMSP €42,190
    CO2 133 g/km
    Rate of VRT 19%
    VRT Payable €8,016

Jesper wrote: »
    I put the below vehicle English registration into motorcheck and got the below back. I am trying to learn more about the new requirements 2020.

Is the VRT payable figure the total value I will owe it is there NOx or other charges I could get hit with? Hire long can it be in the ROI before I pay the VRT?

Date of Registration March 2018
    Vehicle AUDI Q5 2.0 TDI SLINE QUAT 190PS 5DR A
    Engine CC 1968 cc
    Fuel Diesel
    Body 5 DR
    Transmission Automatic
    Mileage 30,000
    OMSP €42,190
    CO2 133 g/km
    Rate of VRT 19%
    VRT Payable €8,016

Correct VRT. Nox for this is 46mg so another €230 on top.
    30 days from import to test, 7 day to make appointment for same.
    Before Nox charge VRT for this was 20%, so a reduction of €421, replaced by €230, a saving if €191.

https://carfueldata.vehicle-certification-agency.gov.uk/search-new-or-used-cars.aspx?vid=867177

The dealer recommended using Transfer Mate and doing the deal on the day. Is this the best option for exchange? Any good posts on tips when buying from the north?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

HI, in general do UK franchise garages take trade-ins, if the car was originally a UK car and importted into Ireland? Kept fsh with dealers while here

Some dealers in the North will accept an Irish Reg as a trade as they simply offload them to a wholesaler back down in the South. Be prepared to take a hit for the convenience though.

ankles wrote: »
    HI, in general do UK franchise garages take trade-ins, if the car was originally a UK car and importted into Ireland? Kept fsh with dealers while here
    If it's a car of any value, it would be worth more here. You can re-export it, you can even claim residual VRT back from revenue. You can then re register in the UK, but at what cost or complexity I'm not sure. Minimal I'd imagine, even if the car had it's VAT recovered on original export.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,225 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You need to do some maths. Your old car might be worth more selling/trading down here but the car your buying here will probably be more expensive too. Look at the overall cost of both options - trading it down here v trading it up there. Mainland UK dealers won't want an Irlsh reg car.

I'm VAT registered in Ireland.
    Can I get the dealer to claim VAT back? Does it have to be commercial or what is the tie in with commercial/private/dealer?

Is it any issue to the freshest in North what my VAT number is and do revenue do a check?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

Is there any way to see the prices at which cars sold for in the auctions in the UK?

BCA mainly but interested to get a ballpark for a car I am looking at, Flipping cars give estimates which I think may be accurate versus "retail" prices on Autotrader but would love to see actual sold prices to know. Suspect it might be difficult to find without being in the trade but someone here might know a way.

Jesper wrote: »
    I'm VAT registered in Ireland.
    Can I get the dealer to claim VAT back? Does it have to be commercial or what is the tie in with commercial/private/dealer?

Is it any issue to the freshest in North what my VAT number is and do revenue do a check?

If the car was originally non vat qualifying in the UK, there would have been no recovery or claim back of UK VAT. So if re exported back to the UK, the VAT element is good to go when you reregister as a UK car. If it was a VAT qualifying car, and the UK VAT residual was claimed back in favour of Irish VAT, and Irish VAT was paid on import here, I doubt if you can get back Irish VAT unless the car was registered and used in a commercial manner, not for individual private use. If you've been able to offset the VAT on the vehicle against your business VAT receipts, you'll have to account for VAT on the future sale or trade in I'd imagine.
    On entering the UK to register, you should still be good to go as Irish VAT will have been paid and not recovered, the same as when a private owner imports from the UK, no messing with VAT.
    I've not read any cases of this, other than UK buyers taking new Irish unregd cars to the UK, but thats a different story. Can you not just sell here, privately, or take a hit and to a dealer, then import the new one? What prevents most people doing this even without importing is the very obvious cash implications, financing a replacement while still in possession of the incumbent. If you have a VAT no, talk to your accountant, who'll know your current vehicle VAT status, and how you processed it originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

ustari wrote: »
    Is there any way to see the prices at which cars sold for in the auctions in the UK?

BCA mainly but interested to get a ballpark for a car I am looking at, Flipping cars give estimates which I think may be accurate versus "retail" prices on Autotrader but would love to see actual sold prices to know. Suspect it might be difficult to find without being in the trade but someone here might know a way.

What car are you looking at? PM me if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭User1998

ustari wrote: »

Flipping cars do some package thing where you pay a certain amount each month and you get access to the sale prices and a few other things

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

mgn wrote: »
    What car are you looking at? PM me if you like.

Volvo XC90 T8 (Hybrid) - 2016 or 2017 - Momentum or Inscription trim - Ideally 70k miles or less.
    User1998 wrote: »
    Flipping cars do some package thing where you pay a certain amount each month and you get access to the sale prices and a few other things

Was chatting with someone on flipping cars there and unfortunately they don't provide the sold prices.

Pity, would be great to get a real world sold prices from recent months in the auctions.

Thank you both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Cant seem to find BCA recent sale prices so the must have stopped doing them since the went to online sales only.
    Kept an eye on two that went through today.

VOLVO XC90 T8 T/E R DESIGN G/T
    11/2016
    73K MILES
    GREY
    CAP PRICE £27,500 SOLD FOR £28,900

VOLVO XC90 T8 T/E MOMENTUM G/T
    04/2017
    34K MILES
    BLACK
    CAP PRICE £32,400 SOLD FOR £31,300

• Registered Users Posts: 17 coisnacriann

Waiting on Vrt Valuation for 2000 BMW. Any one have an idea how long this takes at the moment? Also are the valuations priced ok or OTT.

• Advertisement

Waiting on Vrt Valuation for 2000 BMW. Any one have an idea how long this takes at the moment? Also are the valuations priced ok or OTT.

I presume it's not a diesel. Nox for a 2000 reg car will be nearly €4k, way more than VRT.

Advertisement