Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 coisnacriann

Its 2 litre bmw petrol i know nox will be €600

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭deezell

Its 2 litre bmw petrol i know nox will be €600

Is that an E39 520i? Emissions are 215mg on that 2l engine, so VRT rate 34% of omsp. The 2.2 sells for about €1500 for 200-2002, so I guess about €500 VRT, €1100 in total. Ferry etc 250. You'd want to be getting the UK car for nearly free

• Registered Users Posts: 21,937 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Could be a better spec model than here, I understand, and if I were looking to get a relatively large engined petrol I'd be going to the UK for spec too.

Hope it's the 2.2 6cyl 520i, that's a peach of an engine and a lovely note to boost

• Registered Users Posts: 17 coisnacriann

Its a bmw z3 roadster 6 cylinder. There is no stats code had my VRT inspection waiting on a figure from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭All in all

Waiting on Vrt Valuation for 2000 BMW. Any one have an idea how long this takes at the moment? Also are the valuations priced ok or OTT.

Mine took 2 days last week to get VRT figure. It was in line with my expectation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Hey All quick question, I moved home from the UK at the end of April (fun times!) I brought my car with me that I bought over 3 years ago. Have a VRT booking for early August and one of the items asked for is an invoice of purchase which I don't have anymore. Am I going to be able to import the car without this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

ztoical wrote: »
    Hey All quick question, I moved home from the UK at the end of April (fun times!) I brought my car with me that I bought over 3 years ago. Have a VRT booking for early August and one of the items asked for is an invoice of purchase which I don't have anymore. Am I going to be able to import the car without this?
    have you looked into the import free of VRT? sounds like you'd qualify.

I think the invoice is only to establish when you bought it and when you imported it. Ferry details might suffice.

Isambard wrote: »
    have you looked into the import free of VRT? sounds like you'd qualify.

I think the invoice is only to establish when you bought it and when you imported it. Ferry details might suffice.

Cheers just checked and it would fall under the VRT exemption. Been such a stressful move due to lockdown, heads been all over the place but still feel stupid for not checking in more detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

ztoical wrote: »
    Cheers just checked and it would fall under the VRT exemption. Been such a stressful move due to lockdown, heads been all over the place but still feel stupid for not checking in more detail.

You need to contact your local revenue office to apply for your TOR exemption. Some offices will only take this via post as they are working remotely. You send in a form and all the required documentation.

You bring your TOR exemption to your vrt appointment and that will cover you for your invoice, ferry doc and proof of address.

So the documents you need to provide for your VRT apt in the NCT are : original v5, vrtvpd2 form filled out, Proof of pps, ID, TOR exemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭deezell

Its a bmw z3 roadster 6 cylinder. There is no stats code had my VRT inspection waiting on a figure from them.
    The year 2000 2l or 3l roadster have emissions of 220mg and 224 mg, both have VRT rate of 34%, mimimum VRT of €680, on a minimum OMSP of €2000.it depends on what they value the car at. There's 4 on Adverts from 98 to 02, about €3000 seems a fair OMSP, giving VRT of €1020, Nox of €600, so about half the car value in tax. Revenue will try and discover the 2000 new price and depreciate, but at 20 years for this model, they probably have no depreciation table assigned , and they'll possibly use market price. Min is 2k anyway.

• Advertisement

michellie wrote: »
    You need to contact your local revenue office to apply for your TOR exemption. Some offices will only take this via post as they are working remotely. You send in a form and all the required documentation.

I was actually able to do it all via the myenquiries section of the revenue website. Just uploaded the forum and all the supporting documents and they got back to pretty quickly just in case anyone else is in a similar boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Anyone know of companies collecting and bringing the cars back to Ireland? Have my eye on a car over there and was going to chance a trip but now that I hear the UK isn’t likely to be on the green list, I’ll be giving it a miss.

Anyone know of companies collecting and bringing the cars back to Ireland? Have my eye on a car over there and was going to chance a trip but now that I hear the UK isn’t likely to be on the green list, I’ll be giving it a miss.

Put it up on shiply and they'll get back to you with quotes..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭User1998

Depending on where the car is you could get the boat from Scotland to Belfast and drive to your county, handy if the car is far north in the UK and you will avoid the compulsory quarantine. Or the likes of Eiretrans seem to be popular.

User1998 wrote: »
    Depending on where the car is you could get the boat from Scotland to Belfast and drive to your county, handy if the car is far north in the UK and you will avoid the compulsory quarantine. Or the likes of Eiretrans seem to be popular.

Going over isn’t the problem, I’ve brought over loads of cars in the last few years but potential exposure to COVID-19 is a big problem health wise for me added to the need to isolate for a fortnight on my return doesn’t really work for me.

I seen some lad advertising on YouTube as a bit of a middleman, might give him a shout to see what his commission is.

I’ll give Eiretrans a look. Few months ago there was loads doing these runs and I got a car picked up and delivered to me for €300 not so long ago, he’s not doing the run at the moment due to COVID.

I’ll give Eiretrans a look. Few months ago there was loads doing these runs and I got a car picked up and delivered to me for €300 not so long ago, he’s not doing the run at the moment due to COVID.

A couple of them on shiply were cheaper than eiretrans when I checked a couple of weeks ago anyway..

A couple of them on shiply were cheaper than eiretrans when I checked a couple of weeks ago anyway..

I’ll give it a look. Is Shiply a kinda of bidding system where everyone is trying to outbid each other for work? A bit like that series that was on discovery?

I’ll give it a look. Is Shiply a kinda of bidding system where everyone is trying to outbid each other for work? A bit like that series that was on discovery?

Kind of yeah.. seemed to be two big main companies competing for everything, with a few smaller companies bidding on stuff that suited them..they all bid against each other though..if you're lucky that can drive down the price a bit..

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭daddy_boy

how does shiply work? is the car loaded on to the ferry as freight by the ferry company at the port and you collect this side?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,453 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Going over isn’t the problem, I’ve brought over loads of cars in the last few years but potential exposure to COVID-19 is a big problem health wise for me added to the need to isolate for a fortnight on my return doesn’t really work for me.

I seen some lad advertising on YouTube as a bit of a middleman, might give him a shout to see what his commission is.

Flipping Cars?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 donnachag

Hi guys,
    Planning on importing a ford focus between 15 and 17 diesel. I inderstand all the n0x charges and c02 vrt but my friend told me its much cheaper to import a 2016 onwards diesel in comparison to 2015, even if the n0x levels are the same? Can anyone shed any light on this bevause i cant find anything about it online?
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 51,225 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Did your friend provide any specific examples otherwise it sounds like another derriere sourced story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 donnachag

bazz26 wrote: »
    Did your friend provide any specific examples otherwise it sounds like another derriere sourced story.

Yes he imported a 16 for a family member. Someone else mentioned it to me earlier in the year but i brushed it off until i heard it the second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,225 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The only thing I can think of is that the newer car has a Euro6 compliant diesel engine so the Nox charge would be lower than a 2015 car with an older Euro5 compliant diesel engine. Nox charge on Euro6 diesel engines is €600 max whereas it can run into a few thousand for a Euro5 or earlier diesel engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

donnachag wrote: »
    Yes he imported a 16 for a family member. Someone else mentioned it to me earlier in the year but i brushed it off until i heard it the second time.

Put it like this, you can import a 2016 Zetec with 80k cheaper than 2015 Titanium with 40k on it so it depends what you want.
    For me personally i would always look at the service history and spec of car before the plate,
    You don't sit on the number plate is the way i look at it.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Flipping Cars?

Yes that’s them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Im looking at a car that just has the first page of the V5C document and the section of the V5C that the new buyer fills in to register their UK address etc. The section in relation to the permanent export is missing. The dealership said they can order a new V5C but given the pandemic it might take a while.

Does anyone know if I need the full v5C or will the first page of it do? The first page has all the details of the car, engine number, reg, NOX and CO2, enginer capacity etc.

Just curious if anyone has any experience with paying VRT with 'half' a V5C.

Hogzy wrote: »
    Im looking at a car that just has the first page of the V5C document and the section of the V5C that the new buyer fills in to register their UK address etc. The section in relation to the permanent export is missing. The dealership said they can order a new V5C but given the pandemic it might take a while.

Does anyone know if I need the full v5C or will the first page of it do? The first page has all the details of the car, engine number, reg, NOX and CO2, enginer capacity etc.

Front page is what you need. The VRT people will tear off the rest and give it back to you

• Registered Users Posts: 73,453 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yes that’s them.

Friend used them, they’re grand as long as you understand that all they’re really doing is bidding for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Hogzy wrote: »

that bit doesn't matter, so long as you have the first page

Advertisement