Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MJH17

Hi All

I'm hoping to import a car from the UK, a Mercedes 220D SE. On checking the VRT rates this car is listed twice with identical designations but almost €1000 in the difference. Indeed so are many of the other models, AMG 220 etc. How can I possibly tell which one applies or do I have to take a gamble on it and hope for the best when I'm registering the car here. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 73,453 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You need to match the Co2 output of the car to the model on the calculator.

Post a uk reg or a link to the advert and we’ll do our best to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭deezell

MJH17 wrote: »
    Hi All

I'm hoping to import a car from the UK, a Mercedes 220D SE. On checking the VRT rates this car is listed twice with identical designations but almost €1000 in the difference. Indeed so are many of the other models, AMG 220 etc. How can I possibly tell which one applies or do I have to take a gamble on it and hope for the best when I'm registering the car here. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Michael

If you don't want to post reg, go to the UK DVLA site, and check the co2 emissions from the reg.

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/?_ga=2.51982441.1593165008.1595342344-484862888.1592043905.

What you're looking for is a Euro 6 standard model, co2 emissions of about 103mg. Nox emissions on this also very low, 62mg, Nox charge of €330
    This is the generic entry for 2016 model c220 2L diesel, 18" wheels.
    https://carfueldata.vehicle-certification-agency.gov.uk/search-new-or-used-cars.aspx?vid=795687

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Akula

Buying a new car from north but the exact model isn’t listed.

I’m buying a Mercedes A180, 1.3l, petrol, automatic.

They only list the much more expensive amg line or variants with bigger engines.

Any ideas on how to approach. I’m getting a super price, wish they just calculated it off the invoice price!!

• Advertisement

Akula wrote: »
    Buying a new car from north but the exact model isn’t listed.

I’m buying a Mercedes A180, 1.3l, petrol, automatic.

They only list the much more expensive amg line or variants with bigger engines.

Any ideas on how to approach. I’m getting a super price, wish they just calculated it off the invoice price!!

This is the statistical code for the 1.3 petrol auto A180.
    Only one option listed, but it's not AMG, it's sport exec. What year, month and milage on your car?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Rushden

What sort of nox charge would you be looking at for a 2018 320d msport? Had a Google for the emissions but makes no sense to me tbh. Price difference between here and the UK is ridiculous for them

deezell wrote: »
    This is the statistical code for the 1.3 petrol auto A180.
    Only one option listed, but it's not AMG, it's sport exec. What year, month and milage on your car?

That’s a model that is two levels up from the SE model. So not sure how I should approach it with them.

That’s a model that is two levels up from the SE model. So not sure how I should approach it with them.

With who?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    With who?
    Ncts when I go in to pay my VRT since my model isn’t listed on the calculator.

• Advertisement

If there was/is a list price for the basic SE, they'll use that as OMSP new car price used in the calculator, so if you know the difference in € or %, it's an easy sum to come up with the lower used car OMSP and hence the VRT. That car on the calculator was assigned a new price of €33930, so say, the basic model SE is €31,900, about 9% less VRT on the calculator. You don't say what year, milage, saloon or hatch, but it doesn't make a huge diifference. This 1.3 was only launched 2019, so normally, just find the Irish new list price for the one you're buying on Carzone and adjust the VRT by the price difference. I notice that the Carzone variant names are 'style' and 'progressive, not SE.
    https://m.carzone.ie/new-cars/Mercedes/A-CLASS/Hatchback/
    I do see the basic 180 'Style' auto is listed at €34,835 on carzone, which makes it more expensive than that "sport executive' car designated in the VRT calculator. UK A-class variant names are different. One approach is to take the current UK new A180 SE 1.3 auto price, and adjust for Irish VAT and Sterling, to get a pre VRT price. Then add in the VRT and Nox, to get the OMSP

This new UK A180 SE 1.3 auto is £22725
    https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/new/202007060922291?advertising-location=at_cars&keywords=SE&year-from=2019&postcode=bt364pe&drivetrain=Front%20Wheel%20Drive&fuel-type=Petrol&transmission=Automatic&homeDeliveryAdverts=include&model=A%20CLASS&page=1&aggregatedTrim=A180&make=MERCEDES-BENZ&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New

less 20% UK VAT £18,935.50
    Exchange to € at £0.911 is €20,787.60
    plus 23% Ir Vat is €25,568
    Vrt is 18% of OMSP, so this pre VRT price is 82% of the final price, which is €31,281. Add nox of €100 for 20mg, and this is coming in at €31,381 OMSP if you imported brand new.
    This is about €3500 less than the 'style' variant list price here, and €2550 less than the Sport Exec on the VRT calculator, so VRT based on this would be about 7.5% less than shown on the calculator for an SE.

Ncts when I go in to pay my VRT since my model isn’t listed on the calculator.

There’s no ways to approach it as such. If the model isn’t on the calculator then you present it and they calculate a price. You can only appeal after you pay, and they won’t calculate a car you don’t present to them.

If there was/is a list price for the basic SE, they'll use that as OMSP new car price used in the calculator, so if you know the difference in € or %, it's an easy sum to come up with the lower used car OMSP and hence the VRT. That car on the calculator was assigned a new price of €33930, so say, the basic model SE is €31,900, about 9% less VRT on the calculator. You don't say what year, milage, saloon or hatch, but it doesn't make a huge diifference. This 1.3 was only launched 2019, so normally, just find the Irish new list price for the one you're buying on Carzone and adjust the VRT by the price difference. I notice that the Carzone variant names are 'style' and 'progressive, not SE.
    I do see the basic 180 'Style' auto is listed at €34,835 on carzone, which makes it more expensive than that "sport executive' car designated in the VRT calculator. UK A-class variant names are different. One approach is to take the current UK new A180 SE 1.3 auto price, and adjust for Irish VAT and Sterling, to get a pre VRT price. Then add in the VRT and Nox, to get the OMSP

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/new/202007060922291?advertising-location=at_cars&keywords=SE&year-from=2019&postcode=bt364pe&drivetrain=Front%20Wheel%20Drive&fuel-type=Petrol&transmission=Automatic&homeDeliveryAdverts=include&model=A%20CLASS&page=1&aggregatedTrim=A180&make=MERCEDES-BENZ&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New

Vrt is 18% of OMSP, so this pre VRT price is 82% of the final price, which is €31,281. Add nox of €100 for 20mg, and this is coming in at €31,381 OMSP if you imported brand new.
    This is about €3500 less than the 'style' variant list price here, and €2550 less than the Sport Exec on the VRT calculator, so VRT based on this would be about 7.5% less than shown on the calculator for an SE.
    There’s a flaw in the way you’re calculating OMSP (calculating as a product of the net UK price)

It’s probably close enough though, for what the OP needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,395 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Is there a site that has the Nox emissions of every car?

Cannot find one

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

Whats the best way of going about buying a car privately in the UK now? Ill getting the AA o perform an inspection and I expect it to come out well but Im unsure on the next step of actually buying the car. I cant travel over to the UK because of the 2 week quarantine because of work but not sure how you go about handing cash over and the car being collected by a transport company. Whats the best solution here?

I thought that maybe some transport companies might take a bank draft with the and hand it over to the seller upon collection?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    There’s a flaw in the way you’re calculating OMSP (calculating as a product of the net UK price)

It’s probably close enough though, for what the OP needs.

I thought I calculated it correctly, inversely, with the UK price a product of the OMSP. E.g, for VRT rate of 18%, if VRT is 18% of OMSP. Then pre OMSP price is 82%. So divide full import price by .82.
    Say you bring in a brand new unreg car, adjusted for Euro and Irish VAT it's 30k. VRT rate is .18 or 18%. Divide 30k by .82, gives 36,585. This is the OMSP. The VRT is 6585, and this is 18% of OMSP, not 18% of the UK invoice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭User1998

marcos_94 wrote: »
    Whats the best way of going about buying a car privately in the UK now? Ill getting the AA o perform an inspection and I expect it to come out well but Im unsure on the next step of actually buying the car. I cant travel over to the UK because of the 2 week quarantine because of work but not sure how you go about handing cash over and the car being collected by a transport company. Whats the best solution here?

I thought that maybe some transport companies might take a bank draft with the and hand it over to the seller upon collection?

If you set up a Revolut account you can transfer the money to their bank account and they will instantly receive the money. I can’t see a transport company taking a bank draft from you and the person selling the car will want the money in their account before they let the car go

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

User1998 wrote: »
    If you set up a Revolut account you can transfer the money to their bank account and they will instantly receive the money. I can’t see a transport company taking a bank draft from you and the person selling the car will want the money in their account before they let the car go
    Just on this, when I was looking into this 2 years ago there was a limit to how much you can send(5k a week or month cant remember)
    Might have changed now, not sure
    Also you have zero comeback, once that money is gone its gone. Best bet is to use a 3rd party to hold it and release it once the car is delivered. I believ theres a few companies who do it

I had thought of Revolut but didnt think transferring to a bank account was instant. Ill check this out and even ask the seller if they have revolut which would be easiest

seannash wrote: »
    Just on this, when I was looking into this 2 years ago there was a limit to how much you can send(5k a week or month cant remember)
    Also you have zero comeback, once that money is gone its gone. Best bet is to use a 3rd party to hold it and release it once the car is delivered. I believ theres a few companies who do it

Would these 3rd parties be instant? Ill check them out as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

seannash wrote: »

I picked up my car (feb this year) but this is how I used Revolut, I posted in a generic Revolut thread...
    I paid £25k for a car on Revolut in February :pac:.

This is what I did;

Transferred € from main bank account to Revolut.
    Upgraded to Revolut Premium to get fee-free fx over £6000.
    Created a £ vault and converted € to £ in the vault.
    30 minutes before buying the car I withdrew the money from the vault into my £ account on Revolut.
    Paid for the car via a card + pin transaction.
    Two days later, down graded to Revolut Free.

Two weeks later I did get a notification asking for source of funds, but simple upload of documents and they were happy out.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113651201&postcount=981

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

I picked up my car (feb this year) but this is how I used Revolut, I posted in a generic Revolut thread...

Thats a great method, I'll be using that for my next purchase without a doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭User1998

There are no limits as such but I think payments over £10k can be delayed by an hour or so. I needed to transfer £17k so just to be safe I did £5k £5k and £7k and he got all three payments instantly.

But as mentioned by another poster it is quite risky sending a complete stranger a bank transfer. I went over for the car myself and transferred the money sitting in the mans house with the keys and logbook in front of me, I would not have sent it in any other circumstance. Its not like a card payment where you can just get a charge back.

really helpful thankyou. sounds like what i should bring is the price list to show the models and price points.... and a helpful calculation like yours to give them a suggested math and then hope they like i've made it easy for them.

really helpful thankyou. sounds like what i should bring is the price list to show the models and price points.... and a helpful calculation like yours to give them a suggested math and then hope they like i've made it easy for them.
    I think as posted earlier by Akula, they'll inspect, then tell you they need to establish OMSP before assessing VRT. If they take your documents it would be great. The very low OMSP on the Sport Exec. Is encouraging.

Edit. UK list prices directly from some sources seem way over quoted cash sale prices.its hard to f8nd an 'official' MB new car price list. AutoTrader is one source.

I thought I calculated it correctly, inversely, with the UK price a product of the OMSP. E.g, for VRT rate of 18%, if VRT is 18% of OMSP. Then pre OMSP price is 82%. So divide full import price by .82.
    Say you bring in a brand new unreg car, adjusted for Euro and Irish VAT it's 30k. VRT rate is .18 or 18%. Divide 30k by .82, gives 36,585. This is the OMSP. The VRT is 6585, and this is 18% of OMSP, not 18% of the UK invoice.

The OMSP valuation and the UK price aren’t related at all.

Now if MB UK and Ireland apply the same logic to their pricing structure then you could get near enough with your guess, but the OMSP is based on Revenues opinion of its Irish value, so if say an a180 AMG is €50k here and €20k in the UK, the starting point is the Irish price matrix rather than the combination of UK price, VRT VAT etc to make an OMSP. Same logic as any used car.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭username?!

Thanks for that, I'll be doing that myself!
    There are no limits as such but I think payments over £10k can be delayed by an hour or so. I needed to transfer £17k so just to be safe I did £5k £5k and £7k and he got all three payments instantly.

But as mentioned by another poster it is quite risky sending a complete stranger a bank transfer. I went over for the car myself and transferred the money sitting in the mans house with the keys and logbook in front of me, I would not have sent it in any other circumstance. Its not like a card payment where you can just get a charge back.

Good to see there is no delay or limit. hard to find anything about on the Revolut website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

No need to bring that list to your VRT appointment, it is calculated by the CVO if there is no stat code. But certainly keep that list incase you need to appeal it.

Advertisement