Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

User1998 wrote: »
    There are no limits as such but I think payments over £10k can be delayed by an hour or so. I needed to transfer £17k so just to be safe I did £5k £5k and £7k and he got all three payments instantly.

But as mentioned by another poster it is quite risky sending a complete stranger a bank transfer. I went over for the car myself and transferred the money sitting in the mans house with the keys and logbook in front of me, I would not have sent it in any other circumstance. Its not like a card payment where you can just get a charge back.

There is no need to split the payments with revolut. I did a transfer last year while sitting in the dealership for a similar amount and they had it in under 5 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭User1998

Good to know. I just did it to be safe

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Is there delay or issue with either Applus or Revenue from when a car in inspected for VRT to when it appears on revenue's system to be registered?

Was looking at a UK import over the weekend and the dealer told us that they can't give a date at to when it can be handed over due to such issues at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Hurrache wrote: »
    Is there delay or issue with either Applus or Revenue from when a car in inspected for VRT to when it appears on revenue's system to be registered?

Was looking at a UK import over the weekend and the dealer told us that they can't give a date at the moment to when it can be handed over due to such issues at the moment.

I taxed mine 24 hours after the VRT inspection a few weeks ago.

Cheers, are we talking about say last week, the week before or further out than then? Wondering if it's a recent thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭deezell

Was looking at a UK import over the weekend and the dealer told us that they can't give a date at the moment to when it can be handed over due to such issues at the moment.
    If he's a dealer registered on the system, he'll have TAN number and can have his VRT pre-inspection done in advance of sale to a cusomer, VRT amount calculated etc. On selling the car to you he need only add your address in order to get your county reg. The reg no. Is immediate on payment of the VRT. If you're doing it privately, you can even buy the plates at the NCT centre on inspection day. The only delay is the reg appearing on the motor tax site, 24 hrs plus later, then you can tax it. Don't buy on the last days of the month or you'll pay a full months road tax for it.
    He's hardly stuck for the cash to pay the VRT on your behalf, and needs you to pay him first? Hence 'delay'. Pay only a deposit till he has a reg number for you, and plates on the car.

Cheers for the explanation.

Issue defo isn't being stuck for cash, it's a big dealer, and a deposit was offered on the day so I don't think it's a carrot and stick approach. Something odd going on so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Cheers for the explanation.

Issue defo isn't being stuck for cash, it's a big dealer, and a deposit was offered on the day so I don't think it's a carrot and stick approach. Something odd going on so.

Car prices in the UK are increasing daily over the last few weeks due to built up demand because of lock down and lack of supplies, maybe he waiting to see how much further the prices will go.

I doubt it's that, the car is advertised at a certain price for a while and would want it off their books.
    Anyway, we've more to look at this week so no immediate hurry.

If they had the car sitting there in front of you then it should be on their TAN, unless they're struggling to get pre-inspections done?

• Advertisement

Possibly could be the issue, with Covid-19 I'm sure everything is all over the place these days.

Recently a poster here said the dealers were not delayed getting inspections, if they came out straight and told you that it would be a reason. The pre-inspection gives them an absolute value for the VRT, so they know their margin, and allows them to conduct the registration on sale to you with no need for further inspection. How long have they had the car, and why haven't they done their homework?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,957 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Are Emission charges put on vintage cars?

What is VRT on a normal VW Transporter van ?

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRiLIejFCkX8Rgekxn5lXgUS6ajAhnZ7lMm5Q&usqp=CAU

• Registered Users Posts: 73,453 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Are Emission charges put on vintage cars?

What is VRT on a normal VW Transporter van ?

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRiLIejFCkX8Rgekxn5lXgUS6ajAhnZ7lMm5Q&usqp=CAU

€200 VRT

• Registered Users Posts: 35,957 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

colm_mcm wrote: »
    €200 VRT

Oh,
    But why does it say 200 vrt for commercial vehicles that are 3500 kg and up.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,453 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Because that’s also true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Possibly could be the issue, with Covid-19 I'm sure everything is all over the place these days.

There are delays with anything that has to be sent to revenue lately (if there was no stat code or if it was a manual valuation in a newer or vintage car) some are taking the full 10 working days to return back.

A lot of revenue are working remotely at the moment which isn't ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before, but I'm trying to figure out what the situation will be for importing cars after the end of the transition period later this year.

Is it still up in the air pending ongoing negotiations between the UK and the EU, or is there a new set of criteria kicking in from 2021?

I'm thinking about changing car at some point in the next 12-18 months, but could move that forward if buying from the UK becomes prohibitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,338 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

hardybuck wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been asked and answered before, but I'm trying to figure out what the situation will be for importing cars after the end of the transition period later this year.

Is it still up in the air pending ongoing negotiations between the UK and the EU, or is there a new set of criteria kicking in from 2021?

I'm thinking about changing car at some point in the next 12-18 months, but could move that forward if buying from the UK becomes prohibitive.

Yes there's no deal yet. Realistically I can't see there being no deal but stranger things have happened. From 1st January 2021 there may be additional duties imposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

If you're trying to challenge the OMSRP from Revenue with some examples but theres no comparable model in Ireland for sale, whats the plan? Or do you just have to accept their valuation?

• Advertisement

Vicxas wrote: »
    If you're trying to challenge the OMSRP from Revenue with some examples but theres no comparable model in Ireland for sale, whats the plan? Or do you just have to accept their valuation?

If you can obtain the full new retail prices for variants of a model, these will give the percentage price difference across the model range, and this can be used to estimate the price new at the time of sale of the variant you want to import. This becomes the new omsp. It becomes difficult if UK variants and variant names are completely different than here, as in the case of MB A class discussed here recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

deezell wrote: »
    If you can obtain the full new retail prices for variants of a model, these will give the percentage price difference across the model range, and this can be used to estimate the price new at the time of sale of the variant you want to import. This becomes the new omsp. It becomes difficult if UK variants and variant names are completely different than here, as in the case of MB A class discussed here recently.

Thanks,

An example i have is the Volvo S90 i'm looking at, its a D5 R-Design Pro but theres only 1 D5 in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I cant get an appointment at my NCT centre to pay my VRT until after the 30 days has elapsed. Surely I wont be penalised but id like to be able to somehow prove that no appointment was available.

Any suggestions?

Vicxas wrote: »
    Thanks,

An example i have is the Volvo S90 i'm looking at, its a D5 R-Design Pro but theres only 1 D5 in Ireland

Go on the Volvo site, select s90 R- design, add any bits that the pro has extra, and get your price. Thats the OMSP before depreciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭wassie

Hogzy wrote: »
    I cant get an appointment at my NCT centre to pay my VRT until after the 30 days has elapsed. Surely I wont be penalised but id like to be able to somehow prove that no appointment was available. Any suggestions?

Try calling them and see if availability at any other centres - be flexible to travel a bit.

Otherwise pay the VRT then appeal on the grounds you weren't able to make an appointment - this assumes you haven't left it to the last minute to make the appointment, in which case an appeal may not be looked upon favourably.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

wassie wrote: »
    Try calling them and see if availability at any other centres - be flexible to travel a bit.

Otherwise pay the VRT then appeal on the grounds you weren't able to make an appointment - this assumes you haven't left it to the last minute to make the appointment, in which case an appeal may not be looked upon favorably.

Car is in Ireland since yesterday morning. I might just call but their hours seem all over the shop. I am based in Dublin so I'll travel within reason but to be honest I wont be travelling an unreasonable amount to have to fork out a sizeable chunk of money to pay this tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

I know this has been asked before but I cant find the original thread. On the V5 document, what does the seller have to fill out? Also, am I right in saying the I keep the full V5 document? Its looking like I will be using a transport company and the seller (private) hasnt being involved in an export before so want to find out the steps required for the V5 document

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭User1998

The seller should fill out the permanent export slip and send it to DVLA and give you the rest of the logbook, particularly the first page. If the seller is unsure then show them this:

https://www.gov.uk/taking-vehicles-out-of-uk

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

User1998 wrote: »
    The seller should fill out the permanent export slip and send it to DVLA and give you the rest of the logbook, particularly the first page. If the seller is unsure then show them this:

https://www.gov.uk/taking-vehicles-out-of-uk

thats exactly the info I was looking for! Any time I googled it I got third party sources of info that didnt go into detail. Thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭DavidAdam

It appears to be very difficult to get the a car transport company to bring a car from London to Dublin at present. I have tried loads of them but they are all too busy. A number of them told me they would, took the details but I have never heard from them again. Any ideas here.

Advertisement