Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

Did you try shiply.com ? My brother booked via Shiply, he got plenty of quotes, he picked the cheapest & with the best no. Of reviews. His mpv was picked up from dealer in North London & dropped to Kildare address. 490eur.
    His dates were flexible. This was 1 month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,395 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

peaceboi wrote: »
    Did you try shiply.com ? My brother booked via Shiply, he got plenty of quotes, he picked the cheapest & with the best no. Of reviews. His mpv was picked up from dealer in North London & dropped to Kildare address. 490eur.
    His dates were flexible. This was 1 month ago.

Had he inspected or test drove the car? Or did he just get an AA inspection over there, and get it shipped? Presuming the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

Have a quick (potentially stupid!) question on buying a UK import from an Irish dealer.

Is it a red flag if the car is a UK import, but this is not mentioned on the online ad?

Viewed a car the other day and there was no mention of it being a UK import on the ad. Then when I turned on the car, noticed the speedometer was in miles and asked the dealer if it was UK import - it was. He showed me service history etc but just curious if it's a red flag from the dealer that this wasn't mentioned to me upfront/on the ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Goose76 wrote: »
    Have a quick (potentially stupid!) question on buying a UK import from an Irish dealer.

Is it a red flag if the car is a UK import, but this is not mentioned on the online ad?

Viewed a car the other day and there was no mention of it being a UK import on the ad. Then when I turned on the car, noticed the speedometer was in miles and asked the dealer if it was UK import - it was. He showed me service history etc but just curious if it's a red flag from the dealer that this wasn't mentioned to me upfront/on the ad.

Nope, not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭SummerK

DavidAdam wrote: »
    It appears to be very difficult to get the a car transport company to bring a car from London to Dublin at present. I have tried loads of them but they are all too busy. A number of them told me they would, took the details but I have never heard from them again. Any ideas here.

I have used services of val mckenna last month to bring my 530e and highly recommend him. He is on shiply and have very good reviews. You can reach him on 087299 6127.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭deezell

Goose76 wrote: »

I assume it already has an Irish reg. Only thing to watch is if the dealer tries to pass off miles on the odometer as km. Older imports may not have a setting to change, and there will be nothing on the odometer to indicate it is miles. A few years ago a dealer tried to flog me an old Volvo s40 with he said only 110k km, but the car was an import, odometer was in miles, but it's NCT was in km in error, so check NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

I’m moving ahead with purchasing a car from the uk after having had it inspected today. I was hoping to have it transported later this week but have been thrown a bit of a spanner. The car is on a private reg and the seller wants to keep it. Processing time is 2 weeks. Is there any way around this or any way to speed the process up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Have a car i want to buy but it's up near Sunderland.
    They are not tripping over themselves to quote on Shiply.

One guy reckons that cars are being held in Holyhead for 24 hours - any one brought one in in last week or two

One guy reckons that cars are being held in Holyhead for 24 hours - any one brought one in in last week or two

Coincidentally the car im buying is in Sunderland as well. I got a quote from Eirtrans for 450 plus VAT. I tried Shiply as well but never got a quote from there. I havent heard of any cards being held up

marcos_94 wrote: »
    Coincidentally the car im buying is in Sunderland as well. I got a quote from Eirtrans for 450 plus VAT. I tried Shiply as well but never got a quote from there. I havent heard of any cards being held up

Deadly thanks
    You ring or email them?
    That'd do me fine.
    Shiply probably more for the handy ones, London, Birmingham, Liverpool and the auctions.

• Advertisement

Deadly thanks
    You ring or email them?
    That'd do me fine.
    Shiply probably more for the handy ones, London, Birmingham, Liverpool and the auctions.

I just sent them an email with the postcode location of the car and my postcode. Probably can do the same through a call. They also told me it would be about 10 days between confirming the transport and car arriving (didnt say if it was working days or not). Not sure of the process of confirming it and whatnot as im moving forward with alternative transport through a friend

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

I'm sure this has been answered already but if I travel to the UK for a car, what's the best way to pay for it?

I don't fancy travelling with a huge amount of cash, so what are the options?

How do people normally do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,453 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Pay with your debit card. Assuming it’s a garage

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Pay with your debit card. Assuming it’s a garage

My debitncars has a daily limit of 2,500 and apparently that can't be removed, even if its

My debitncars has a daily limit of 2,500 and apparently that can't be removed, even if its

Don't try and use a useless Irish bank debt card, sign up to Revolut, move your cash into it, exchage to £, and pay for the car in one transaction like a fill of petrol, usung the card machine. You can also do a direct transfer to the dealers bank ìaccount if he doesn't like paying debit card fees, takes 10-15 minutes to appear.
    The alternative is to lodge your € with a company like Transfermate, then a phone call to them will push the money to the dealers account once you're happy with the horse

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Tiger72

Tiger72 wrote: »
    Right i hope alot of people will read this an advise me :
    So i bought a car in late February it came into the country in a transporter so there is no record of it coming into the port . There was no V5 with it and it had to be applied for ( All Legit i have a receipt or it ). I got a friend in the UK to apply for the V5 which he did in Mid March but with the Lockdown in the UK the DVLA were only dealing with front line workers so even though this normally takes six weeks it went on and on and on - and to be honest i thought it would be the end of the year before ide see it .
    Anyway it arrived last week so now i can actually VRT it .I only started driving it last Friday because of this and did not want to because i couldnt be dealing with Guards asking awkward questions -
    'You have it since last February - why did you not VRT it ' ??????
    ' You only have it with two days ?? why arn't you self isolating '??????
    Couldnt be dealing with that .
    So what are my options i don't want to pay any fine , its a car with a value of €30,000 and a VRT bill of €5,000 + Nox. Can i tell them i brought in through the North from Scotland ?? I bought it off Arthur Daly in the North ? here's the receipt .Also the date on the V5 of new owner is 20th June and on the first page 'Acquired vehicle 24th Febuary' .
    Wont work - they require paperwork for when it entered the state ....
    Just some more information the car entered the state on the 02 Mar 2020
    I have it booked in for Wed 29th July .... ill let ye know how i get on :)

So Im living in Cork but could not get a date in Blarney before end of July but was going on holiday to Westport Mayo so i got an appointment there no problem . He asked for a shipping receipt and i told him there was none as it was brought in from Scotland to Northern Ireland and there was no record of it coming into the country-i never mentioned that Revenue would not impose any fines up to the end of July , so he then said ok , go to the car and he would see me there to check the chassis no.
    I was waiting a good 20 minutes outside - now did he ring revenue and say it to them ??? i dont know ... but anyway all was fine a part from the €5197 bill !!!! .
    Now starts the long road of appealing that

• Registered Users Posts: 73,453 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

deezell wrote: »
    Don't try and use a useless Irish bank debt card, sign up to Revolut, move your cash into it, exchage to £, and pay for the car in one transaction like a fill of petrol, usung the card machine. You can also do a direct transfer to the dealers bank ìaccount if he doesn't like paying debit card fees, takes 10-15 minutes to appear.
    The alternative is to lodge your € with a company like Transfermate, then a phone call to them will push the money to the dealers account once you're happy with the horse

In my experience I used a visa debit and the difference between it and Revolut was marginal.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

Is there limit for daily use, when using visa debit card? Revolut doesn't have limit I believe.

Have actually ended up buying in the north.
    Got same value as England after waiting few weeks.
    I'm sure you all know this but UsedcarsNI far superior for the north.

1 car in filters on autrader
    30 on UsedcarsNI

I was flat out on autotrader....

... but anyway all was fine a part from the €5197 bill !!!! .
    Now starts the long road of appealing that

Why are you appealing? You said VRT was 5k plus Nox. I wouldn't be making a song or dance about it you've told a porky about date of entry and got away with it. 5k small vrt on a 30k car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Quick question if you send a truck to get the car from the UK, does the dealer hand over the V5 to the man in the truck to bring back to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,225 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's been discussed to death in this thread, you cannot register the car over here without the full V5c. Do not buy the car without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Vicxas wrote: »
    Quick question if you send a truck to get the car from the UK, does the dealer hand over the V5 to the man in the truck to bring back to you?

Yes, you need to make sure the garage and the driver understand that you have to have it. There have been cases of the truck returning with no V5C.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

deezell wrote: »
    Why are you appealing? You said VRT was 5k plus Nox. I wouldn't be making a song or dance about it you've told a porky about date of entry and got away with it. 5k small vrt on a 30k car.

Deezell is right. I wouldn't be bringing any attention to this.

My car is arriving on Friday from the UK so going about booking a VRT appointment. i have heard that VRT for cars not on the VRT site can be better (ie cheaper) in centres outside of Dublin from someone in the trade who has had to use centres outside of Dublin recently. Is there any truth to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,225 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Old wive's tail or ****e talk I'd say. What base of comparison have they, it's not as if you can go to multiple VRT appointments with the same car until they give a cheaper figure that you like.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Old wive's tail or ****e talk I'd say. What base of comparison have they, it's not as if you can go to multiple VRT appointments with the same car until they give a cheaper figure that you like.

They bring in a few of the same cars (think 520ds etc). i was surprised to hear it too but just wanted to ask. Any saving on VRT is a win!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Hi guys,

I will be picking up a car up north during the week, and I managed to grab a VRT appointment for coming Sunday up in Dundalk.
    Is it possible to have the assessment on Sunday but not pay, and if so, must you go back to Dundalk and pay or can you go to more local NCT/VRT locations to pay (and if so do you need an appointment to pay?)#

Cheers for the help!
    Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭User1998

You don’t need to pay on the day and you don’t need to make an appointment to pay either, I’d say you can pay in any centre but I’m not sure as I’ve only ever been to one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

marcos_94 wrote: »
    My car is arriving on Friday from the UK so going about booking a VRT appointment. i have heard that VRT for cars not on the VRT site can be better (ie cheaper) in centres outside of Dublin from someone in the trade who has had to use centres outside of Dublin recently. Is there any truth to this?

Haha

No.

Advertisement