Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭User1998

Yeah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

How many cars can u v r t in a year? Is 2 the limit and is it Jan 1st to Dec 31 st

• Registered Users Posts: 82,337 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

gally74 wrote: »
    How many cars can u v r t in a year? Is 2 the limit and is it Jan 1st to Dec 31 st

Think it's 4 before you raise suspicion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

anyone any experience buy a VAT registered car in the UK without VAT and then importing ?

I am looking to buy a VAT registered Tesla in UK through my company and running it as a company car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭deezell

RobAMerc wrote: »
    anyone any experience buy a VAT registered car in the UK without VAT and then importing ?

I am looking to buy a VAT registered Tesla in UK through my company and running it as a company car.

The correct term is 'VAT Qualifying', a car which was a buisness asset from new, not a personal vehicle. You simply ask the trader/dealer (not a private owner) if the vehicle is VAT Qualifying, and comes with an Invoice showing the sale price spilt. I Imported a VAT qualifying car, ( ex. Lease), it had such an Invoice, but it was for private use, so I just paid full UK VAT inclusive price. I'm not familiar with the steps taken if you are Irish VAT registered. Can you take the car back without paying UK VAT? Do you pay it and claim It back from UK, if it's still in the EU? Or do you set the UK VAT against your Irish buisness VAT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,286 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

deezell wrote: »
    The correct term is 'VAT Qualifying', a car which was a buisness asset from new, not a personal vehicle. You simply ask the trader/dealer (not a private owner) if the vehicle is VAT Qualifying, and comes with an Invoice showing the sale price spilt. I Imported a VAT qualifying car, ( ex. Lease), it had such an Invoice, but it was for private use, so I just paid full UK VAT inclusive price. I'm not familiar with the steps taken if you are Irish VAT registered. Can you take the car back without paying UK VAT? Do you pay it and claim It back from UK, if it's still in the EU? Or do you set the UK VAT against your Irish buisness VAT?

If it’s VAT qualifying and a New Means of Transport ( ie below 6k km/6 months since registration) then the U.K. VAT should Be reduced to nil at source (VAT411 process) and Irish VAT paid after importation (administratively through the VRT inspection. In practice, obtaining a U.K. refund later is more problematic.

If it’s an Irish business importing a VaT qualifying car then the overseas vendor should reduce VAt to nil on invoice.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Akula

Couple of questions folks re: registering a new car I brought down from the north that I bought in a dealers there.

1. How / when do I actually pay the VAT? Do I just pay it along with the VRT or some other way?

2. The eCOC - I only have the document that came in the car glove box, and the registration document for the UK? Do I just stick that in online?
    The online form looks like a nightmare....

3. How strict are they on the proof of address. I literally have nothing with my current address as I moved and the bills are in my partners name

• Registered Users Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Akula wrote: »
    Couple of questions folks re: registering a new car I brought down from the north that I bought in a dealers there.

1. How / when do I actually pay the VAT? Do I just pay it along with the VRT or some other way?

2. The eCOC - I only have the document that came in the car glove box, and the registration document for the UK? Do I just stick that in online?

3. How strict are they on the proof of address. I literally have nothing with my current address as I moved and the bills are in my partners name

Vat is being reduced soon to 21 percent I'd hang on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Akula wrote: »

Is it a second hand car or brand new? Vat is only due when less than 6 months old or less than 6k km.

As long as it's not something rare you don't need to worry about the cert of conformance.

You'll need 2 proof of address for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Is there any handy calculator online where you can quickly get a rough price on nox plus vrt that isn’t the revenue.ie one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Is there any handy calculator online where you can quickly get a rough price on nox plus vrt that isn’t the revenue.ie one?

Why would you want another calculator. The revenue one is as good as it gets and always fairly accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

Why would you want another calculator. The revenue one is as good as it gets and always fairly accurate

Do you have to get the Nox from the V5 or is there a way to find out the nox. I've googled a few times and cant seem to find anything?

masit wrote: »
    Do you have to get the Nox from the V5 or is there a way to find out the nox. I've googled a few times and cant seem to find anything?

The best and most definitive way is from the V5. I can't find any good site which lists all the nox ratings for all vehicles. Some of the traders have started adding the nox emissions to their ads but not enough of them are doing it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

The best and most definitive way is from the V5. I can't find any good site which lists all the nox ratings for all vehicles. Some of the traders have started adding the nox emissions to their ads but not enough of them are doing it yet

Just wondering, If I was able to find the nox of 1 type of car, for example, a Passat with a Co2 of say 109 and the type of car I was looking for, for example, a Mondeo had a Co2 of 109, would the nox be the same on both cars or totally different?

masit wrote: »
    Just wondering, If I was able to find the nox of 1 type of car, for example, a Passat with a Co2 of say 109 and the type of car I was looking for, for example, a Mondeo had a Co2 of 109, would the nox be the same on both cars or totally different?

It could be totally different

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭DavidAdam

How accurate is the Revenue website for calculating VRT.?

DavidAdam wrote: »
    How accurate is the Revenue website for calculating VRT.?

It's very accurate provided you enter the correct details of the car you're registering. Most people get caught out by not doing this and not checking everything out before buying the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭omri

It's very accurate provided you enter the correct details of the car you're registering. Most people get caught out by not doing this and not checking everything out before buying the vehicle.

I'd say expect +10% of what it shows. That's what happened with my car.

omri wrote: »
    I'd say expect +10% of what it shows. That's what happened with my car.
    Only if you enter the wrong data. People see a lower vrt after choosing the wrong model/variant, and fixate on that, so no surprise if they are correctly assessed for a higher amount later. The calculator shows the co2 emissions for the variant you've selected. If your v5 emissions are not the same or in the same band, or if you've selected a base model while your variant is S line sport or somesuch higher spec, wishful thinking is not going to reduce it. You can also check the co2 from the UK reg on the DVLA emissions site, this is the co2 which will be printed on the V5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Mine was calculated bang on a couple of months ago.

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Mine was calculated bang on a couple of months ago.

Same as. I've brought in many cars over the years and it's always been accurate. The only time I got a major difference was my own fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

There’s only one source of truth when it comes to the amount of VRT and NOx to be paid and that’s the amount decided on the day. The government’s calculator is the next best thing (and is what the use in the centre to determine the VRT and NOx).

The biggest opportunity for error is the Nox calculation, as this is user entered. You really need to know this before importing.

The biggest opportunity for error is the Nox calculation, as this is user entered. You really need to know this before importing.

I calculated mine at €15 with the last import, they tried to charge me €5/600 on the day until I flat out refused and insisted they check it again, sure enough it went down to €15 when they checked it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭DavidAdam

Why is there such a difference between the price of a particular car new and the OMSP determined by Revenue. The price new on
    the manufacturers website tend to be a lot higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,453 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

DavidAdam wrote: »
    Why is there such a difference between the price of a particular car new and the OMSP determined by Revenue. The price new on
    the manufacturers website tend to be a lot higher.

Built in discount in the RRP.

I calculated mine at €15 with the last import, they tried to charge me €5/600 on the day until I flat out refused and insisted they check it again, sure enough it went down to €15 when they checked it again.

€15? That's a Nox of 3 mg. What were you importing, a lawnmower? I'd love to know what vehicle has a Nox of 3mg

€15? That's a Nox of 3 mg. What were you importing, a lawnmower? I'd love to know what vehicle has a Nox of 3mg

Pretty sure it was €15, might have been €45 but certainly no more.
    Outlander phev.

• Advertisement

Pretty sure it was €15, might have been €45 but certainly no more.
    Outlander phev.
    I figured it was an electric vehicle. The figures given by the manufacturers are a bit of a con. A fully electric vehicle of course has 0 Nox. A non plug in hybrid will have the Nox of its petrol/diesel engine, tempered by the electric mode due to regenerative braking and electric assisted acceleration, and even a few km of EV mode only, which is ultimately powered by the engine. A plug in EV is a normal fuel hybrid which can have its small battery topped up at the mains. To get a Nox of 3 from a two litre petrol SUV with a small range rechargeable battery would require you to be in electric only mode for something like 95% of the drive time, which is extremely unlikely, unless you plug it in religiously every 20 odd miles. In real world use I'd expect mpg of maybe 60, electric only contributing 10-15% of your driving, and real Nox of maybe 50-80.
    The revenue also thought likewise, but were forced to accept the fantasy figure printed on the V5C, which is in fact a ludicrous 3mg as you stated. Happy days for you, but a bigger scandal imo than the VW massaging of Nox figures. Drive an outlander from Dublin to Cork, you'll get to Naas on eletric only with luck, petrol for the rest of the 220km, with a Nox in highish double figures.
    I'm not knocking hybrids, or plug in ones either, but there's no such thing as a free lunch.

Advertisement