Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 BaconSalad

Has anybody purchased from car auctions?
    If so, could you please share your thoughts?;

1- What sites would you recommend and if you have any tips on what to look for into the reports as well, that'd be great!

2- How does the V5C form works, are they all included on the cars being offered or it's something apart that I would have to request? As far as I have seen, it's a hassle if you don't get this form here together with the car, correct?

3 - Additionally, let's say once I bid in a car there and I win, do auction houses allow couple days for the car to be in their stock, in order for me to organize the transportation method?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭User1998

Only dealers can bid at auctions

User1998 wrote: »
    Only dealers can bid at auctions

all of them? there's not a single auctioneer that accepts private?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

BaconSalad wrote: »
    all of them? there's not a single auctioneer that accepts private?

You can bid privately but you'll only get the dregs

Well BCA and Manheim are the main ones and they are dealer only. You can bid at them in person as a private individual but not online, and the fees for private individuals are very high. You need to use a service such as Flipping Cars to bid on cars on your behalf. Their fee starts at £295 I think and then you have to pay auction fees on top of that. I’ve done it a few times, I suppose I’d recommend it but their delivery service takes absolutely ages. You’d want to be spending over £5,000 to make it worthwhile compared to buying from Autotrader. And to answer your previous question:

1: BCA, Manheim, Copart (Mostly damaged cars), and Flipping Buddy (Combination of Manheim and BCA stock). The reports from each are fairly basic and easy to understand.

2: Most come with the logbook, it says if they do or not.

3: You have a certain amount of time until they start charging storage fees

• Advertisement

User1998 wrote: »
    Well BCA and Manheim are the main ones and they are dealer only. You can bid at them in person as a private individual but not online, and the fees for private individuals are very high. You need to use a service such as Flipping Cars to bid on cars on your behalf. Their fee starts at £295 I think and then you have to pay auction fees on top of that. I’ve done it a few times, I suppose I’d recommend it but their delivery service takes absolutely ages. You’d want to be spending over £5,000 to make it worthwhile compared to buying from Autotrader. And to answer your previous question:

1: BCA, Manheim, Copart (Mostly damaged cars), and Flipping Buddy (Combination of Manheim and BCA stock). The reports from each are fairly basic and easy to understand.

2: Most come with the logbook, it says if they do or not.

3: You have a certain amount of time until they start charging storage fees

This would be my first car, so I am looking for something within 5k (including all fees) to be fair. Something like a VW Polo or Up.

The only decision towards purchasing in the UK would be to get a newer model.

Do you think is worth the hassle or in the end will be pretty much the same as here?

sorry for spamming, just trying to gather some info in order to make the best decision. Being a first time buyer can be a bit stressful..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Has anybody purchased from car auctions?
    If so, could you please share your thoughts?;

1- What sites would you recommend and if you have any tips on what to look for into the reports as well, that'd be great!

2- How does the V5C form works, are they all included on the cars being offered or it's something apart that I would have to request? As far as I have seen, it's a hassle if you don't get this form here together with the car, correct?

3 - Additionally, let's say once I bid in a car there and I win, do auction houses allow couple days for the car to be in their stock, in order for me to organize the transportation method?

All Uk car auctions have being online only for the past couple of months so only dealers or traders can buy online.

This would be my first car, so I am looking for something within 5k (including all fees) to be fair. Something like a VW Polo or Up.

The only decision towards purchasing in the UK would be to get a newer model.

Do you think is worth the hassle or in the end will be pretty much the same as here?

sorry for spamming, just trying to gather some info in order to make the best decision. Being a first time buyer can be a bit stressful..

Definitely avoid if it’s your first car. I’d probably avoid importing all together for your first car as there’s a lot that can go wrong with the V5 and the logistics of it all. Lots of nice Polos here for around the €5k mark. If your confident enough have a look on Autotrader UK and see what €5k gets you and compare it to prices here. VRT is €800/€900 for a 2010/2011 Polo, flight and ferry is €250, or transport company €450, NCT+Tax minimum €150

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Agree with above
    There's very little to be saved on cheaper cars.

In fact in my opinion due to reg snobbery you might get better older cars here.
    Keep your eye on donedeal and for a first car chance calling into a couple local sellers.

My first Corolla was a peach. Local secondhand dealer knew he had it coming as a trade in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

The Revenue calculator doesn't have the Ford Galaxy 1.5 petrol in its dropdown...how can I calculate the cost to VRT the car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,225 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That's probably because nobody has imported one in recent times. They will tell you present the car for inspection and they will then send the car'd details off to Revenue for a figure.

bazz26 wrote: »
    That's probably because nobody has imported one in recent times. They will tell you present the car for inspection and they will then send the car'd details off to Revenue for a figure.
    OK, I'll call revenue tomorrow and see if I can get a quote or statistical code from them I guess.

It's very likely they will tell you to present the car for a VRT inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

The Revenue calculator doesn't have the Ford Galaxy 1.5 petrol in its dropdown...how can I calculate the cost to VRT the car?

My question would be, why would anyone want to import a 1.5 petrol Galaxy?

My question would be, why would anyone want to import a 1.5 petrol Galaxy?
    I figured a petrol car would have been cheaper to buy and we don't do a lot of kms a year. I also think that the pump price difference between diesel and petrol might narrow and reverse in future. I'm thinking of either a Galaxy or an Alhambra shipping container MPV. But from what I can see second hand petrols are more expensive so I'll probably get a diesel version of one of them (they seem the two best all round MPVs around).

Edit: I mean imagine if excise was equalized for diesel, that's 12c. It might take years but that seems a reasonable change to make to the prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Was looking to bring in a 2019 c350e - Merc Dealer in the UK said the car would come over with a 2 year Mercedes Manufacturer warranty, it seems the the third year warranty is just for the UK only. Would this be a common thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭deezell

Was looking to bring in a 2019 c350e - Merc Dealer in the UK said the car would come over with a 2 year Mercedes Manufacturer warranty, it seems the the third year warranty is just for the UK only. Would this be a common thing?
    First 2 years are manufacturer european warranty, the next is MB UK additional year. MB Ireland offer a paltry 2 years manufacturer warranty, you can pay (through the nose) for an extra year. They won't honour UK extended warranty.

The UK 3rd year is good in NI, the second year good here.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

deezell wrote: »
    The UK 3rd year is good in NI, the second year good here.

Cheers, worse case scenario would a trip up to a Merc garage in NI cover any year 3 issues :rolleyes:

Assuming the car is driveable.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Assuming the car is driveable.

Fwiw, i got an MB 1 year extended warranty on 3 yo approved used car, was told it was only valid in the UK, but should be valid in NI.The policy booklet stated It was valid for max 60 days abroad, though I'm not sure how MB would check how long a UK owner was abroad. For export, the answer is obvious, assuming MB Warranty UK (a branch of AXA iirc), note your non UK address. The change of reg is another matter. All told, you would want to be certain they (MB) would honour a claim if you presented in NI. For the original from new warranty, I'd say you'd be OK. For an extended one, fingers crossed. Oddly, the dealer gave me a discount in lieu of the warranty, about a third of the actual £710 it costs to privately buy an extra year UK full warranty, said that's all they pay as dealers. Despite this, MB Warranty UK sent me out a full approved used car 1 year policy. It expired 3 weeks ago, and last week I copped the aircon had stopped working. It's her car, so no idea how long it's out. Such are the risks, and such is life.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

From what I understand is that the 3rd year is from the garage it's self.

masit wrote: »
    From what I understand is that the 3rd year is from the garage it's self.

From here;

https://www.mercedes-benzwarranty.co.uk/faqs#

What is an Extended Warranty?
    Do I have a Mercedes-Benz manufacturer or Approved Used car warranty and when will it expire?

All new cars come with a 3 year manufacturer warranty and Mercedes-Benz Approved Used cars come with a minimum of 12 months Approved Used car warranty. A Mercedes-Benz Extended Warranty can be purchased so that it starts after existing cover comes to an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

DavidAdam wrote: »
    How accurate is the Revenue website for calculating VRT.?

Its very accturate mine was €100 of a diff last year compared to calculator so id a good indication of the price. You need to be spot on tho with the model etc to ensure its correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

masit wrote: »
    Do you have to get the Nox from the V5 or is there a way to find out the nox. I've googled a few times and cant seem to find anything?

The NOX is stated on the V5 - most accurate way of getting it is on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

Has anyone bought brand new car from uk, and reclaimed the vat back? I am not vat registered, just normal individual. Just wondering if this is possible?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,286 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

peaceboi wrote: »
    Has anyone bought brand new car from uk, and reclaimed the vat back? I am not vat registered, just normal individual. Just wondering if this is possible?
    Thanks

You should Not have to claim it back, the U.K. dealer should use the VAT411 procedure to reduce the VAT to nil at the point of supply meaning no U.K. VAT. You then have 2 months to recover the car from the U.K.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

Marcusm wrote: »
    You should Not have to claim it back, the U.K. dealer should use the VAT411 procedure to reduce the VAT to nil at the point of supply meaning no U.K. VAT. You then have 2 months to recover the car from the U.K.

Ok, so at the vrt appointment here, i should pay the vrt amount + the Irish vat 23%? Thanks

VAT rate is dropping to 21% on September 1st so worth waiting until then before buying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,286 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

peaceboi wrote: »
    Ok, so at the vrt appointment here, i should pay the vrt amount + the Irish vat 23%? Thanks

Have you already purchased the car, paid the U.K. VAT and brought it in?

The VAT is calculated based on the U.K. invoice price not the VRT OMSP and should be collected by NCTS in the same manner as the VRT.

Advertisement