Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,453 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at buying a car from a dealer in the North and just wondering about the VRT calculator on Revenue's website. I see some people have said to take it with a massive pinch of salt and that has me concerned. I'm buying a 2 litre diesel 2018 4-Series so should be relatively common and the the dealer has listed a nox value of 0.023 g/km. The VRT calculator is saying €6,200 for this car. How likely is the figure to be close to that? Just would hate a nasty surprise at the time of payment.

Revenue value ‘extras’ on a car over 2 years but under 3 years at 60% of their original value.

So say for instance the car has €8000 worth of factory fitted extras above and beyond the features that came standard issue on the particular variant of car (example 420d M-Sport Shadowline), the value of those would be €4800 now, assuming the cars emissions put it in the 18% category, you’d be liable for €864 extra VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭adocholiday

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Revenue value ‘extras’ on a car over 2 years but under 3 years at 60% of their original value.

So say for instance the car has €8000 worth of factory fitted extras above and beyond the features that came standard issue on the particular variant of car (example 420d M-Sport Shadowline), the value of those would be €4800 now, assuming the cars emissions put it in the 18% category, you’d be liable for €864 extra VRT.

Thanks Colm. So the 'extras' are determined by comparing the absolute base model car vs the spec/trim level of the car being imported? I ask this because using the VRT calculator there are multiple options for the same car but they vary in terms of the VRT estimate by up to €700 in some cases. Then within the options given there are M-Sport selections available.

For example:

I select the model BMW 420. In the version list then I am given loads of options including Diesel F32 M-Sport. Selecting this gives a VRT estimate of €5,700. If I choose the option without the M-Sport it's €5,580.

Then I select the model BMW 420D. In the version list again I see Diesel F32 M-Sport, but in this case the VRT estimate is €6,200.

So I've no idea if I'm going to be paying €5,700 with no extras, or as much as €6,200 + extras! It's not a great system it has to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,224 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Compare the Co2 rating that the VRT quote is giving you versus the Co2 rating on the actual car. The 4 Series got newer engines midway through it's life span. BTW M Sport is trim level, it's not deemed an extra. A M Sport trim cost more than a SE when new so it would have a higher OMSP that is used to calculate the VRT. Extras are factory options fitted on top of the various trim levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭deezell

Thanks Colm. So the 'extras' are determined by comparing the absolute base model car vs the spec/trim level of the car being imported? I ask this because using the VRT calculator there are multiple options for the same car but they vary in terms of the VRT estimate by up to €700 in some cases. Then within the options given there are M-Sport selections available.

For example:

I select the model BMW 420. In the version list then I am given loads of options including Diesel F32 M-Sport. Selecting this gives a VRT estimate of €5,700. If I choose the option without the M-Sport it's €5,580.

Then I select the model BMW 420D. In the version list again I see Diesel F32 M-Sport, but in this case the VRT estimate is €6,200.

So I've no idea if I'm going to be paying €5,700 with no extras, or as much as €6,200 + extras! It's not a great system it has to be said.

It is quite a good system, and once they can find an entry for the new OMSP price for your variant of the car, that's the price theyll use for the OMSP. If the extras are part of the variants spec, then they will he included in the base price. They don't go tracking through the manufacturer's VIN database to see what was included and what the customer added. Maybe an eagle eyed VRT inspector might notice a €5000 Harman Kardon optional stereo, or top spec optional Nappa leather seats, but I'd be surprised.
    We brought in a Lexus IS 300 F Sport which the original owner had loaded with every missing option from the other high end Premium IS, so it had bells and whistles, cooled seats, radar, etc. VRT was based on an existing entry for the IS F Sport. That was it.
    Way back in 2009 when inspections were done by public servants, not NCT, I remember the old dear going around with her list as she examined our BMW E60, looking for leather seats, sunroof, CD players, full electric windows etc, but some of this stuff was standard on the cars even then. I Don't think they have the time for that sh1te now. If your car variant is already on the system, they'll use that. If your original owners added keyless entry or cooled seats or LED lightst or upgraded alloys, how will they know without forensic study of the spec sheet on a VIN decoding database for that model. No one here has posted about being stung for VRT on 15 grands worth of customer extras, an it's easy to spend that on a high end car.

For example:

No.

For example they’ll have trim level categories for an SE, M-Sport, M Sport Business Edition, or whatever.

Then if the car got something like Pro Navigation, Harman Kardon speaker system, Nappa leather, winter package, or whatever on top of the trim level, that’s your factory extras.

You need to select the exact model that the car is, along with the correct Co2 emissions figure.
    Familiarize yourself with standard equipment for particular models if you want to see which one have options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

No.

For example they’ll have trim level categories for an SE, M-Sport, M Sport Business Edition, or whatever.

Then if the car got something like Pro Navigation, Harman Kardon speaker system, Nappa leather, winter package, or whatever on top of the trim level, that’s your factory extras.

You need to select the exact model that the car is, along with the correct Co2 emissions figure.
    Familiarize yourself with standard equipment for particular models if you want to see which one have options.

Exactly and somewhere like

https://www.parkers.co.uk/

Will give you the different standard spec for each spec level. Within reason

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

Can anyone tell me of it's still not possible to import a Mercedes from the UK or Northern Ireland?

Jane98 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me of it's still not possible to import a Mercedes from the UK or Northern Ireland?

Since when was it not possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

i imagine he's referring to dealers not selling to Irish biuyers.

Isambard wrote: »
    i imagine he's referring to dealers not selling to Irish biuyers.

That would be illegal restrictive practice, if UK still obeying the single market. Obviously it's at the behest of MB Ireland, who have no problem importing MBs from UK. I'd no problem last August from an MB main dealer. I'd imagine non MB dealer's wouldn't refuse your cash either.

• Advertisement

There are some main dealers playing ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

There are some main dealers playing ball.

Name and shame?

It checks out as type N light commercial here,
    https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk
    So its category B here for VRT, which is 13.3% of the OMSP of this vehicle here. It's not listed on the commercial VRT site, so will have to be assessed.
    Nearest I can find is this 2015 transporter shuttle,
    http://www.carsireland.ie/2440053
    €30K for 2015, but thats high, there are 2016-2017 on carsireland for that, so the one you're looking at would have an OMSP of about maybe €22-25K? Less given the high milage, 250k in km.They're about €57K new, one like this,
    http://www.carsireland.ie/2616329 , so revenue will depreciate 6 years from that for 2014, if they take it as a base new OMSP.
    If they quote OMSP of say €25k, VRT at 13.3% will be €3325. As it's commercial, you'll have to have a VAT no. to tax it at the commercial rate, which I assume you will be, otherwise it's private, but based on CC, not emissions, so €710 p.a.
    If this was a caravelle, VRT plus Nox anywhere in the region of €8K

Which crewcabs are liable for nox? I know some of them definitely are.

Which crewcabs are liable for nox? I know some of them definitely are.
    Privately owned more than 3 seats, they closed that loophole a while back. Imports that are pre change still qualify, say a 2018 amorak auto comes in at 13.3%, no Nox

• Registered Users Posts: 35,957 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

deezell wrote: »
    It checks out as type N light commercial here,
    https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk
    So its category B here for VRT, which is 13.3% of the OMSP of this vehicle here. It's not listed on the commercial VRT site, so will have to be assessed.
    Nearest I can find is this 2015 transporter shuttle,
    http://www.carsireland.ie/2440053
    €30K for 2015, but thats high, there are 2016-2017 on carsireland for that, so the one you're looking at would have an OMSP of about maybe €22-25K? Less given the high milage, 250k in km.They're about €57K new, one like this,
    http://www.carsireland.ie/2616329 , so revenue will depreciate 6 years from that for 2014, if they take it as a base new OMSP.
    If they quote OMSP of say €25k, VRT at 13.3% will be €3325. As it's commercial, you'll have to have a VAT no. to tax it at the commercial rate, which I assume you will be, otherwise it's private, but based on CC, not emissions, so €710 p.a.
    If this was a caravelle, VRT plus Nox anywhere in the region of €8K

So some what positive then, in that one would avoid high VRT+NOX charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

Can someone help me figure out how much vrt for 2018 Ford Torneo custom 8 seater automatic? Short wheel base. L1
    It's classified as M1 passenger car in the v5c.
    Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Lads I’m not following this thread so I can I please ask how much will Uk imports go up by 1st January 2021 after Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,337 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Lads I’m not following this thread so I can I please ask how much will Uk imports go up by 1st January 2021 after Brexit.

Somewhere between a million and a billion :D. Nobody knows, worst case is same as an import from Japan.

• Advertisement

peaceboi wrote: »
    Can someone help me figure out how much vrt for 2018 Ford Torneo custom 8 seater automatic? Short wheel base. L1
    It's classified as M1 passenger car in the v5c.
    Thanks
    Find out if you can change class to light commercial, i.e, minibus. Youll need to be vat registered. Then VRT is 13.3% of 2018 used price, OMSP. Otherwise it's going to be private car, 27% vrt plus Nox, which will be less than €600 If the bus is euro 6 standard, but could be almost €4000 If it's high or undeclared on the V5 (I note no euro entry on the DVLA site for a typical 2018 tourneo enquiry). I note seated Tourneos for sale here have private road tax rates, not commercial.

That doesn’t look right to me ^ ^

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the advice earlier regarding the VRT. I've gone ahead with the purchase and now I have some more questions if you could help me out I'd really appreciate it.

I have to transfer funds to the dealership but I believe I'll be crucified with FX fees and charges if I use my bank. Is there a way that people commonly do payments for imports?

Finally I understand I have to get the V5C form from the dealership (they're based in the North so I assume they'll be well used to doing exports to the Republic). Is there anything else I need to get from the dealership specifically? Also I am trading my car in as part of the deal. Is there anything I need to give them other than the logbook?

Many thanks!

I used chip and pin visa debit and wasn’t fleeced on exchange rate or fees. That’s Bank of Ireland - they have a €25k limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

Hi everyone,
    I have to transfer funds to the dealership but I believe I'll be crucified with FX fees and charges if I use my bank. Is there a way that people commonly do payments for imports?

Use Revolut if you have it. I had it and upgraded to premium (7.99) which allowed me to exchange an unlimited amount to sterling with no fees. Saved me a few hundred euro vs using my Bank of Ireland card. I also used revolut for transfering to the sellers UK bank account which happens instantly.

Finally I understand I have to get the V5C form from the dealership (they're based in the North so I assume they'll be well used to doing exports to the Republic). Is there anything else I need to get from the dealership specifically? Also I am trading my car in as part of the deal. Is there anything I need to give them other than the logbook?

Many thanks!

Only other thing you need from the seller is an invoice but im assuming that being a dealer you will get that as standard.

I used chip and pin visa debit and wasn’t fleeced on exchange rate or fees. That’s Bank of Ireland - they have a €25k limit.

Yeah I'm going to be paying via BoI and the car is about €20k. I checked with Transfermate, Transferwise and Revolut and Revolut are significantly cheaper but I think include fees. There's €600 in the difference between Revolut and BoI using the calculator on the BoI site but I don't even have a Revolut account. This is all new to me! :P

I was spending less than you were, but I wasn’t out by the same percentage you seem to be. Where are you getting the BOI rates from?

I was spending less than you were, but I wasn’t out by the same percentage you seem to be. Where are you getting the BOI rates from?

This page, selecting 'Send an International Payment' https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/bank/international-payments/foreign-exchange-currency-converter/

BOI are giving an exchange rate of 0.8898 where Revolut are giving 0.922 which is very significant given the amount of money involved.

Is that the same as using Visa Debit though? I think visa have their own rates?

• Advertisement

Is that the same as using Visa Debit though? I think visa have their own rates?

You may have me here Colm, this is where my knowledge of all this stuff goes out the window :pac:

Just checked Visa directly they are offering 0.8969, better than BoI's payment page but still a fair difference between that and Revolut

Advertisement