Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭deezell

Quick question for anyone who used Revolut recently. I’m getting ready to pay for a car which is being picked up later in the week. Have a deal in place where I have the car being inspected by the person collecting it and I was to send payment there and then if he’s happy and he takes it with him.

My issue is, Revolut seems to have dropped the turbo transfer feature they had when I used them earlier in the year.

Anyone who’s used it recently, how long did the transfer take to go through? If the instant transfer is gone I’m gonna have to start getting the cash over to transfermate.
    If the vendors bank is on the Sepa Instant list then it should take seconds. If you were there in person, you could pay by Revolut debit card, instant on the chip and pin machine. I wonder if there's a limit with paying using Google pay and an associated revolut card. There's no tap and pay limit when you use ypur phone, other than the normal card limit, so would the revolut unlimited limit transfer to G pay?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

bazz26 wrote: »
    The process is the same. However your biggest problem will be convincing a private buyer to hand over the V5c registration cert to you with the car. Most will not know the process for selling to a non UK resident for permanent export and will either send off the new owner section to the DVLA as if you were a UK resident or just shy away from selling to you all together in thinking you are trying to scam them. It can also be more awkward arranging a mechanical inspection of the car with them too.

U have to get ur hands on the registration cert (v5c) and hand written invoice?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,224 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You need the V5c to VRT and register the car here. You need an invoice along with a ferry ticket stub to prove the date when you brought it into the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭HotDudeLife

You need the V5c to VRT and register the car here. You need an invoice along with a ferry ticket stub to prove the date when you brought it into the country.

Thank you sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

looking forward to sterling dropping some more this week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

looking forward to sterling dropping some more this week

The thing i have always noticed with sterling is that when you would expect it to go one way, it usually goes the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Looking to book VRT appointment (car due in this week from UK) but no appointments available in Naas, Carlow, PortLoaise or Dublin. Am I missing something? Are they on hold or just really busy??

Reduced staff due to Covid-19 and with Brexit now at the end game phase importing has gone up again. Keep trying or ring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Earliest we could get was 3 weeks.
    Did last week
    Every appointment in use

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭big dar

I got vrt appointment in Dundalk for next week was a good few available if any use to anybody

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

The day I bought my car in the north last October, it shot from 1.09 to 1.14 overnight!! Biggest daily change and cost me another €5/600

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

I got a VRT appointment at Northpoint on 8 October. There are some available on 9/10/11 if anyone still looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Posted this in the main forum but reckon its better suited here.

Hi,

I know this may have be answered before but p60's don't seem to exist anymore so looking for some help with the following.

1. Documentation verifying the new registered owner’s name and address. The following documents will only be accepted: Original P60, Bank/Financial Institution Statement, Credit Card Statement, Utility bill (Electricity, Gas, TV Service Provider eg SKY/UPC, Landline phone bill and Mobile Telephone (Bill pay only)). If a hard copy utility bill/bank statement cannot be provided, two online statements from two different service providers must be submitted. One of the online statements must be from a Utility provider and the other a Bank Statement. Please note original documentation will only be accepted and must be no older than 6 months

Original p60 does not seem to exist anymore its now a “Employment detail Summary” which seems to be only online and can't find a way to get an original documentation from revenue for it
    I have an original letter from revenue from December 2019 but that's past the 6 months period.
    I've ordered an online bank statement so should have this on time. I also can print off my broadband provider but I have no order household bills in my name. My broadband provider do not provide original documentation its all online. Its AIRWIRE in Galway.
    So I should be able to satisfy this requirement

2. Personal Public Service (PPS) Number of the person in whose name the vehicle shall be registered to (Official documentation will only be accepted i.e Social Services Card, P60)

For my PPS Number I have my driving license but I never updated the address on it when I moved house last year will this be an issue. I have payslips but again they are all online so not original can I use these? I have a passport could this be used. Is there anything else I can use.
    Psygnosis is online now Report Post

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭jamesbil

Hi all,
    anyone got any idea on the vrt on this? 132 Peugeot partner crewcab
    https://www.donedeal.ie/commercials-for-sale/peugeot-partner-132/25949749

• Registered Users Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Psygnosis wrote: »
    Posted this in the main forum but reckon its better suited here.

Hi,

I know this may have be answered before but p60's don't seem to exist anymore so looking for some help with the following.

1. Documentation verifying the new registered owner’s name and address. The following documents will only be accepted: Original P60, Bank/Financial Institution Statement, Credit Card Statement, Utility bill (Electricity, Gas, TV Service Provider eg SKY/UPC, Landline phone bill and Mobile Telephone (Bill pay only)). If a hard copy utility bill/bank statement cannot be provided, two online statements from two different service providers must be submitted. One of the online statements must be from a Utility provider and the other a Bank Statement. Please note original documentation will only be accepted and must be no older than 6 months

Original p60 does not seem to exist anymore its now a “Employment detail Summary” which seems to be only online and can't find a way to get an original documentation from revenue for it
    I have an original letter from revenue from December 2019 but that's past the 6 months period.
    I've ordered an online bank statement so should have this on time. I also can print off my broadband provider but I have no order household bills in my name. My broadband provider do not provide original documentation its all online. Its AIRWIRE in Galway.
    So I should be able to satisfy this requirement

2. Personal Public Service (PPS) Number of the person in whose name the vehicle shall be registered to (Official documentation will only be accepted i.e Social Services Card, P60)

For my PPS Number I have my driving license but I never updated the address on it when I moved house last year will this be an issue. I have payslips but again they are all online so not original can I use these? I have a passport could this be used. Is there anything else I can use.
    Psygnosis is online now Report Post
    register for myaccount on ROS.ie and you should get instant access and print out the employment detail summary. I used that today as my PPS number proof and there wasnt any issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

irishgeo wrote: »
    register for myaccount on ROS.ie and you should get instant access and print out the employment detail summary. I used that today as my PPS number proof and there wasnt any issue.

Yeah Id done that already. Your a legend thank you so much you've put my mind at ease. I think I have everything ready now for when the car arrives

• Registered Users Posts: 17,445 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Little confused as to a number the calculator is throwing back at me...

Details:

2009 BMW e91 msport auto
    335d
    125k miles

Calculator is showing VRT+Nox+Co2 emissions, do I add all three to get the final figure? It's coming to 8k. The CURRENT OMSP on the car is less than 5k.

Thanks.

I think the figure at the bottom is the total including VRT + Nox.

I think the figure at the bottom is the total including VRT + Nox.

I hope you're right, 4k is workable, 8k isn't.

Stick a screen shot of it on here.

• Advertisement

jamesbil wrote: »
    Hi all,
    anyone got any idea on the vrt on this? 132 Peugeot partner crewcab
    https://www.donedeal.ie/commercials-for-sale/peugeot-partner-132/25949749

13.3% of the OMSP as a commercial vehicle, which oddly is showing as only €2061 on the calculator, so only €274. It would be €200 for a goods van suitable for carrying 30% of its own laden weight ( van, fuel and driver). The number of seats allowed from new is a bit vague, but the 13.3 % rate its ok, but for goods van it must be 3 seats or less. It's registered in the uk as a N1 category commercial, so you should be ok. A 5 seater vehicle with the goods area in the same space would normally be designated a private vehicles, higher VRT and Nox, but if the bodywork code of the vehicle at the type approvsl stage is type BE, then its considered commercial, in other words its an ugly goods van with extra seats, not a car. There seems to be a glitch in the ros calculator, as its determining the OMSP new as only €4892, less 57% depreciation to €2061, so grab a VRT bargain while you can. Make sure seller has the UK V5 cert.
    Statistical Code

Stick a screen shot of it on here.

Can't screenshot at the minute. Just copied the text.
    Your VRT Calculation
    Date15/09/2020
    Time23:58
    Rate of VRT
    30%
    Vehicle Registration Tax
    (payable on enquiry)
    €4,901
    Vehicle Details
    Statistical Code
    Model
    Make
    BMW
    Version
    D E91 M SPORT TOURING 5DR AUTO
    Breakdown of VRT Calculation
    Open Market Selling Price (OMSP) determined by Revenue
    €69105
    Monthly Adjustment
    N/A
    Depreciation Code Allocated by Revenue
    F1
    Odometer Reading
    125000 Miles
    Date of First Registration
    January 2009
    Mileage/Kilometre Reduction
    €0
    Rate of Depreciation for this Vehicle
    93%
    Current OMSP determined by Revenue
    €4837
    Revenue CO2 Estimate
    CO2 Emissions
    Rate of VRT
    30%
    CO2 VRT Charges
    (payable on enquiry)
    €1,451
    Revenue NOx Estimate
    NOx Emissions
    NOx Units
    mg/km
    NOx VRT Charge
    (payable on enquiry)
    €3,450
    Registration Tax Total
    CO2 VRT Charges
    €1,451
    NOx VRT Charge
    €3,450

Vehicle Registration Tax
    (payable on enquiry)

I think your looking at near 5k there including VRT + Nox but don't take my word as gospel. They list each figure twice and the fifth line from the bottom mentions Registration tax total with CO2 and NOx VRT charge listed separately below them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭User1998

If you do the calculation on your phone, the total vrt payable (co2 + nox) is the figure that first appears, and under it is the breakdown of co2 and nox. I think on the desktop site its similar to mobile where the total vrt payable is shaded in grey

Eg: (scroll down on the photo slightly)

Little confused as to a number the calculator is throwing back at me...

Details:

2009 BMW e91 msport auto
    335d
    125k miles

Calculator is showing VRT+Nox+Co2 emissions, do I add all three to get the final figure? It's coming to 8k. The CURRENT OMSP on the car is less than 5k.

Thanks.

The current OMSP value here of this car is indeed only €5k, a bit low for a powerful but 11 year old 3 series estate, M spec. The Nox charge is €3450 of the total VRT charge of €4901, actual co2 VRT component is only €1451. Assuming you can bring a 09 in for say €7000 all in, (fairly scarce in the uk), your outlay is €12,000, for a car you will struggle to sell for €8000. So unless it's a collector thing or a future classic investment, you're on a hiding to nothing here, and that's before you pay annual road tax of €750, not bad but could be hammered in this years green budget. The Nox is the killer, it is only €600 on the 330i petrol, but these are even scarcer in estate/tourer.

deezell wrote: »
    The current OMSP value here of this car is indeed only €5k, a bit low for a powerful but 11 year old 3 series estate, M spec. The Nox charge is €3450 of the total VRT charge of €4901, actual co2 VRT component is only €1451. Assuming you can bring a 09 in for say €7000 all in, (fairly scarce in the uk), your outlay is €12,000, for a car you will struggle to sell for €8000. So unless it's a collector thing or a future classic investment, you're on a hiding to nothing here, and that's before you pay annual road tax of €750, not bad but could be hammered in this years green budget. The Nox is the killer, it is only €600 on the 330i petrol, but these are even scarcer in estate/tourer.

Thanks for clearing that up. That makes more sense. Total price is closer to 10k if I’m honest.

Resale price is irrelevant, it will not be sold. Like my current wagon 330d, it’s essentially worth nothing to anyone else but me. It will not be sold either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Thanks for clearing that up. That makes more sense. Total price is closer to 10k if I’m honest.

Resale price is irrelevant, it will not be sold. Like my current wagon 330d, it’s essentially worth nothing to anyone else but me. It will not be sold either.

not the way revenue look at it though

not the way revenue look at it though

The revenue thing was cleared up for me.

I get that. Are you spending €10k on the car before VRT? You'd have to get anything decent, prices high for these in UK. I've kept 4 old favourite cars at different times to date for years after I moved up, especially an Alfa GT. Sitting idle mostly for 3 years, then I just had to shift it. The others the same.

• Advertisement

deezell wrote: »
    I get that. Are you spending €10k on the car before VRT? You'd have to get anything decent, prices high for these in UK. I've kept 4 old favourite cars at different times to date for years after I moved up, especially an Alfa GT. Sitting idle mostly for 3 years, then I just had to shift it. The others the same.

€6k before VRT. Yeah the prices are still wild in the UK especially for tourings. There was one for sale on donedeal a year or so ago that fetched 8k on the old tax system so it’s hard to say what they’re actually worth here. It’s a niche car and not for most people. The resale isn’t an issue though. It’s just getting it on the road this side of the pond.

Advertisement