Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Incredible, so two adults can't own three cars?! How are we meant to sell our third car, will the test drives have to be uninsured? Unbelievable stuff.

It's hardly incredible.
    Sure if one policy could insure 2 cars what family would take out a second policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭deezell

Incredible, so two adults can't own three cars?! How are we meant to sell our third car, will the test drives have to be uninsured? Unbelievable stuff.

2 adults can own 300 cars, you just need a policy for each car. If you have two cars whats the problem with taking one off the road? You can transfer it back to sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

it's an old wives tale, you can have as many as you want, but your no claims usually will only be on one policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

It's hardly incredible.
    Sure if one policy could insure 2 cars what family would take out a second policy?
    Ha sorry I didn't mean one policy for two cars, I meant a second policy for the other car but a more temporary one. Sorry I phrased it very badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,224 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You can own as many cars as you like but you need a separate policy for each car and you can only use your no claims discount on one policy. Your policy will also only cover one car at any one time.

• Advertisement

Ha sorry I didn't mean one policy for two cars, I meant a second policy for the other car but a more temporary one. Sorry I phrased it very badly.
    That's the thing, Irish insurers simply wont issue short term insurance to anyone, not even existing clients. You can get online in the UK and elsewhere, but they're fearful of scams here, with some justification. A lot of auto accident fraud is done in cars insured provionally from a full years quote, with the fake accident and claim happening within days of issue, whence the policy is cancelled, with liability only for the first week or so premium. K's fly over from England to participate, crash, (often in a hired car), claim and fly back. The insured (for the week), of course doesn't claim and pretends not to know them, but is in on it. Mimimum outlay, maybe 5 whiplash claims from abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭username?!

I've a print out of my P60 as my PPS number proof for my appointment tomorrow. I've no original, as I haven't been sent one out in years. Should be OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

username?! wrote: »
    I've a print out of my P60 as my PPS number proof for my appointment tomorrow. I've no original, as I haven't been sent one out in years. Should be OK?

That's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭username?!

michellie wrote: »
    That's fine.

thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

I've a reserve put on a low mileage 2013 BMW 1 series 125i, full BMW service history and it's a Ford main dealer selling it. Due to the current climate i'm looking at getting it transported over rather than collecting myself. Would it still be worth getting it checked out independently?
    The car looks immaculate on the photos/videos and it will be MOT'd before sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,224 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I certainly wouldn't buy a car blindly. If you cannot get to it yourself then you would be mad to just buy it without someone local at least checking it out. Remember as soon as you pay for it and it's put on a transporter it's your problem no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭creedp

I'm looking at a number of 2016 s-max and I'm wondering what kind of discount I could expect for a higher mileage car. Most of the cars have approx 25k to 40k miles but a couple have over 60k miles. Would it be reasonable to get a £1k or so discount for an extra 20 to 30k miles above the norm?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

If you're looking at cars online on UK forecourts expect very little discount from list price.

If you're looking at cars online on UK forecourts expect very little discount from list price.

Thanks. Sorry I phrased my Q badly. What I was trying to ask is how much should the list price vary for a car that has mileage 20 - 20k above average or would that kind of mileage differential have very limited impact on the list price?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭SummerK

creedp wrote: »
    Thanks. Sorry I phrased my Q badly. What I was trying to ask is how much should the list price vary for a car that has mileage 20 - 20k above average or would that kind of mileage differential have very limited impact on the list price?
    Depends on the car value but it should be cheaper by 500-1000£. Check realistic price on https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/used-prices/

SummerK wrote: »
    Depends on the car value but it should be cheaper by 500-1000£. Check realistic price on https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/used-prices/

Thanks. I was looking at what seems like 2 identical cars except for colour and mileage with a price difference of over 2k. Although I'd prefer a car with less that 40k miles, saving over £2k for a car with 30k more miles seems to make financial sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭piobhan

Is there any limitations to how many cars you can VRT for person use, I purchased a car back in December which I have since sold, im looking at registering another this month.
    That would be 2 within a year,is that alright? is there any limit on it.
    Thank, I did a quick search but can't find an answer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭User1998

piobhan wrote: »
    Is there any limitations to how many cars you can VRT for person use, I purchased a car back in December which I have since sold, im looking at registering another this month.

Theres no set limit, a few cars a year is grand

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

No set limit but heard around 6 and revenue will be on to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

2 is fine. If it becomes a regular occurrence Revenue will start asking questions and asking you to set up a TAN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Don't think you'll get anyone to confirm it but I knew someone who dealt with this and he told me that they take an interest in people with more than 4 a year but don't follow up with them all. Id imagine after 4 would be asking for trouble unless you have a genuine reason to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

i got quizzed once in the old days of re-registering at the Revenue. The girl commented that I'd brought in a few recently and I replied "I know, my Wife is going to kill me" and that was that. You wonder what report was made about it though

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gotya

Quick question, am I right in saying this is what is paid on a diesel car coming into Ireland, vrt, co2 and NOx?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Hi all, quick questions. I brought a car in from the North and have the VRT appointment tomorrow.

1. The V5C is missing section 9. As I bought the car from a dealer I presume this is ok? I see 'complete V5C' mentioned a lot so that's why I ask!
    2. The invoice has a price for the car, plus upgraded wheels. In the VRTVPD2 form it asks for the purchase price of the car and the VAT value. Do I include the upgraded wheels in this price or is it just the car itself that counts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭wassie

Gotya wrote: »
    Quick question, am I right in saying this is what is paid on a diesel car coming into Ireland, vrt, co2 and NOx?

Sort of - Technically, Nitrogen Oxide (NOx) charge is combined with the existing CO2 charges to form the VRT payable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Hi all, quick questions. I brought a car in from the North and have the VRT appointment tomorrow.

1. The V5C is missing section 9. As I bought the car from a dealer I presume this is ok? I see 'complete V5C' mentioned a lot so that's why I ask!
    2. The invoice has a price for the car, plus upgraded wheels. In the VRTVPD2 form it asks for the purchase price of the car and the VAT value. Do I include the upgraded wheels in this price or is it just the car itself that counts?

The V5C is fine all you need is the first page,

Just put down total purchase price on VRTVPD2 and forget about the VAT, the are not bothered about what you paid for the car.

Quick question. I've just got a message for a UK dealer saying that they do not release cars to transportation companies and I would have to collect the car in person. Surely this is not common practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭All in all

Quick question. I've just got a message for a UK dealer saying that they do not release cars to transportation companies and I would have to collect the car in person. Surely this is not common practice?

It is pretty common in my experience, they are concerned about distance selling rules in some cases, wary of scam in other cases.

I had a flat no from a few when I was buying earlier in the year, I got talking to a manager in one of dealerships and eventually they agreed. I had narrowed search to 3 cars in different dealerships and there was no budging with the other 2. They were all large main dealerships.

See also money laundering by bulk importing of cars by crimbos with their own garage, transporter, etc. in Tipp. Did one of their dodgy sales guys post here a few months back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭JHet

Must admit when I clicked on this thread was expecting a step by step guide.

Can I take it the process at a high level is as follows:
    1. Find a car/s on UK forecourt you want to purchase
    2. Contact dealer, explain your situation, how you expect payment and collection to work and assuming all is ok:
    3. Arrange a local independent inspection of the car (usually 1 hours labour) and depending on findings negotiate price accordingly
    4. Pay for car using Bank transfer or Revolut (be interested to hear more on how this works - any limits etc)
    5. Arrange to have the car(including V5C) collected and transported back home using ALM Transport & Recovery, Eiretrans or similiar.
    6. Arrange an appointment at a designated NCT centre to have the vehicle inspected within 7 days of the vehicle entering the State in order to register and pay the VRT (and any other tax liabilities due on the vehicle).
    7. Complete the registration process within 30 days of arriving in the State.
    8. Apply for motor tax by presenting RF 100 and appropriate fee at your local Motor Taxation Office.

I'm sure I've missed some important details!

Update - You can buy reg plates in some NCTs(not all of them) Can tax online the next working day - No need to go near a tax office. Registration doc arrives in the post a few days after you tax the car.

Advertisement