Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭deezell

bazz26 wrote: »
    Anything imported from outside the EU attracts VAT and import duty.

That said, you won't pay the local VAT or equivalent, IF it's refundable on export. This is what really makes hard brexit a f *** up. Very few used UK cars are VAT qualifying, that is, the one sixth of their price which represents the depreciated 20% UK VAT added when new is not refundable on export. It's called VAT, but is really a 20% flat excise or vehicle tax. Once HM revenue get it on a private car, they're never giving it back. After hard brexit, you will eventually have to pay our 23% VAT, (going to 21% ?), on top of the full UK price which still has a 20% element built in. As UK won't be a EU member state, imports which incude UK VAT will no longer be exempt from Irish VAT. You may also have to pay import duty if the car was not originally produced in the EU or a country that has a trade deal with the EU to send cars here, (e.g., an Audi made in South Africa for VAG European market, supplied to UK, should be traded as duty exempt on import, as it's an EU member state product made under agreement outside the EU originally). It will still be very complex tbh. The Turkish components in Jaguars are going to run foul of import rules even if UK are allowed export jags into EU duty free. It's a nightmare for Britain, which is why we had the EU in the first place, the common market.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gadge

Hi guys, I'm looking at something like this below:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2015-toyota-rav4-icon-d4d-auto-low-nox/25911528

I used cartell to calculate the VRT etc., list price of the car is £10,600 (€11,600 going by Revolut) any idea how they came to the figure of €5840? Seems really excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Gadge wrote: »

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2015-toyota-rav4-icon-d4d-auto-low-nox/25911528

I used cartell to calculate the VRT etc., list price of the car is £10,600 (€11,600 going by Revolut) any idea how they came to the figure of €5840? Seems really excessive.

Go in the revenue VRT calculator and it will show exactly how they arrive at VRT figure

You'll get a breakdown like this;

VRT Home
    VRT Calculator
    Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) calculation for vehicle.
    Edit Details
    Your VRT Calculation
    Date01/10/2020
    Time08:05
    Rate of VRT
    30%
    Vehicle Registration Tax
    (payable on enquiry)
    €5,849
    Vehicle Details
    Statistical Code
    Model
    RAV4 2.2 D4D
    Make
    TOYOTA
    Version
    INVINCIBLE 150BHP 5DR 5DR AUTO
    Breakdown of VRT Calculation
    Open Market Selling Price (OMSP) determined by Revenue
    €37393
    Monthly Adjustment
    +97%
    Depreciation Code Allocated by Revenue
    B1
    Odometer Reading
    75000 Miles
    Date of First Registration
    May 2015
    Mileage/Kilometre Reduction
    €0
    Rate of Depreciation for this Vehicle
    49%
    Current OMSP determined by Revenue
    €18498
    Revenue CO2 Estimate
    CO2 Emissions
    Rate of VRT
    30%
    CO2 VRT Charges
    (payable on enquiry)
    €5,549
    Revenue NOx Estimate
    NOx Emissions
    NOx Units
    mg/km
    NOx VRT Charge
    (payable on enquiry)
    €300
    Registration Tax Total
    CO2 VRT Charges
    €5,549
    NOx VRT Charge
    €300

Vehicle Registration Tax
    (payable on enquiry)
    €5,849

High emissions give a high VRT rate if 30%, I just guessed the Nox but you can look it up. Its OMSP, open market selling price is high also, only 49% depreciation on a 5+ year old vehicle, plus the high new price of a 2.2 auto means they are valuing it here at €18.5k, which is about its worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭wassie

The 2.2 auto is the killer as deezell has explained. You will also be looking at €750/year motor tax. I was going to buy an 2.2 auto avensis a few years back from the North but this stopped me, plus the fact it would be difficult to resell.

If your after the auto and your budget can stretch, you would be far better off getting a 2016 hybrid from the mainland. Cheaper VRT (until 31 Dec 2020) & motor tax of €200. Resale is very strong also.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-search?sort=price-asc&postcode=bt11aa&radius=1500&make=TOYOTA&model=RAV4&fuel-type=Hybrid%20%E2%80%93%20Petrol%2FElectric

Some nice ones there alright, the major reason I was going for diesel is that I do about 90 miles a day to work round trip (mostly motorway) and diesel seemed more cost effective. Need something a decent size for comfort for the wife and kids and needs to be high off the ground due to the terrible country roads in my area. How good would the RAV4 hybrid be on fuel? I have a 2011 1.8 auris hybrid and get about 40mpg on my commute.

Thanks for the help.

Just brought in a Honda CRV diesel.
    Much lower CO2 emissions, similar car to the RAV

You could have a 2017 Mazda 6 estate 2.2 here for way less money, only €190 road tax. Really nice car, best looking estate in that segment, http://www.carsireland.ie/2572492
    or a top of the range 175hp sport nav saloon, still less than a 2015 rav4. Its a gorgeous driver. http://www.carsireland.ie/2572606
    Death to SUVs, drive a proper car, enjoy every mile. If you want to drive a plonky jeep, join the army.

Don't buy a Mazda 6 diesel
    Their engine is made of chocolate

• Advertisement

deezell wrote: »
    You could have a 2017 Mazda 6 estate 2.2 here for way less money, only €190 road tax. Really nice car, best looking estate in that segment, http://www.carsireland.ie/2572492
    or a top of the range 175hp sport nav saloon, still less than a 2015 rav4. Its a gorgeous driver. http://www.carsireland.ie/2572606
    Death to SUVs, drive a proper car, enjoy every mile. If you want to drive a plonky jeep, join the army.

Nice car, I need something higher off the ground due to rough country roads where I live. Also need an automatic since I did my test in the hybrid!

Good to know!

Some nice ones there alright, the major reason I was going for diesel is that I do about 90 miles a day to work round trip (mostly motorway) and diesel seemed more cost effective. Need something a decent size for comfort for the wife and kids and needs to be high off the ground due to the terrible country roads in my area. How good would the RAV4 hybrid be on fuel? I have a 2011 1.8 auris hybrid and get about 40mpg on my commute.

Thanks for the help.

Your thinking is right. Toyota hybrids are old technology and the RAV4 is heavier so won't fare well doing motorway miles. Doing mixed driving realistically your probably going to get around 34-35 mpg.

Ride & handling is average but balanced by Toyota reliability & lower servicing costs. At that price point your also going to be looking at 2WD hybrids vs AWD diesel.

The 2.2 auto would be a great motorway cruiser & I'm a big fan of autos when dealing with traffic. Tough choice.

Not true, but don't buy (ab)used imports of them from a certain dealer on the Kylemore road. Worst engine in my driving lifetime? (48 years), BMW N47, from 2008. 2 turbos, 2 dpf, timing chain, glowplug system relay, inlet manifold swirl system failure, all complex, expensive and leave-you-stranded failures. I was only stranded once before, in '78 when my cortina dropped its drive shaft on the N4. The newr Mazda 2.2 from 2017 in the higher hp is a super engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,224 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You would want your head examined to buy a Mazda 6 diesel. They are notorious for problems and Mazda won't acknowledge it. Some poster on here is taking legal proceedings against Mazda Ireland because they said there was nothing wrong for the oil level to rise above maximum in a 2 year old one. The thread has been removed on request of the owner due to obvious legal reasons.

bazz26 wrote: »
    You would want your head examined to buy a Mazda 6 diesel. They are notorious for problems and Mazda won't acknowledge it. Some poster on here is taking legal proceedings against Mazda Ireland because they said there was nothing wrong for the oil level to rise above maximum in a 2 year old one. The thread has been removed on request of the owner due to obvious legal reasons.

Hearsay. Here's some facts.

Reliability by brand for cars up to five years old
    Rank Brand Score
    1. Lexus 98.7%
    2. Mitsubishi 97.9%
    3. Toyota 97.7%
    4. Mini 96.8%
    5. Skoda 96.4%
    6. Hyundai 96.3%
    7. Kia 95.9%
    8. Honda 95.3%
    =9. BMW 95.2%
    =9 Mazda 95.2%
    11. Alfa Romeo 94.6%
    =12. Fiat 94.5%
    =12. Subaru 94.5%
    =14. Dacia 94.4%
    =14. Suzuki 94.4%
    =16. Citroën 93.8%
    =16. Volvo 93.8%
    18. Ford 93.7%
    19. Seat 93.6%
    20. Volkswagen 93.2%
    21. Jaguar 91.8%
    =22. Audi 91.5%
    =22. MG 91.5%
    =22. Porsche 91.5%
    25. Peugeot 91.1%
    26. Mercedes 91.0%
    =27. Nissan 90.1%
    =27. Vauxhall 90.1%
    29. Tesla 88.6%
    30. Renault 87.6%
    31. Land Rover 78.2

• Registered Users Posts: 51,224 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

So the poster made it all up, right! Believe what you want. I don't care enough to try to convince you otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SecondScience

Hello. Looking a buying a car in the UK and one point raised by a dealer is tax to cover driving in the UK while getting the car back to Ireland. Is this a genuine consideration and if so how do you cover this gap. I would have thought if stopped in uk you just explain that you are exporting. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Hello. Looking a buying a car in the UK and one point raised by a dealer is tax to cover driving in the UK while getting the car back to Ireland. Is this a genuine consideration and if so how do you cover this gap. I would have thought if stopped in uk you just explain that you are exporting. Thanks

just tax it,the dealer will do it for you online. The Police may well impound it for no tax if they catch you. There's no middle ground in the UK, it's taxed or you get a fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭User1998

Ah a few people have been stopped and after explaining their going straight to the port they were let go. Dealers aren’t supposed to let you leave without taxing the car which is why it can be an issue. Tax isn’t transferrable like it is here so once a car is sold the tax is no longer valid afaik. I’ve driven to the port with no tax (even though the tax on the car was free it still needs to be taxed)

wassie wrote: »
    Your thinking is right. Toyota hybrids are old technology and the RAV4 is heavier so won't fare well doing motorway miles. Doing mixed driving realistically your probably going to get around 34-35 mpg.

Ride & handling is average but balanced by Toyota reliability & lower servicing costs. At that price point your also going to be looking at 2WD hybrids vs AWD diesel.

The 2.2 auto would be a great motorway cruiser & I'm a big fan of autos when dealing with traffic. Tough choice.

Any opinions on the Nissan X-Trail? I've been told that the 1.6 diesel is a bit too small for the size of the car with my commute, grand for tipping around with but on the motorway the revs would be high constantly.

• Advertisement

You generally pay for 6 months and claim back 5 when you get back, or else if you can set up a direct debit, just cancel when you get home. Either way you will be out 1 months tax (you cant claim a part month) if you choose.

I was checked once whilst waiting in line. Had arrived early at the port for a 2am departure at Merseyside a couple of years back (Merseyside), coppers also checked my insurance. Had paid up and a cover note for the insurance which was a relief. For me - peace of mind for small money given things don't always go to plan - YMMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Any opinions on the Nissan X-Trail? I've been told that the 1.6 diesel is a bit too small for the size of the car with my commute, grand for tipping around with but on the motorway the revs would be high constantly.

Have a look at the Ford Kuga, the are a nice comfortable SUV with good spec and the have a high driving position.

mgn wrote: »
    Have a look at the Ford Kuga, the are a nice comfortable SUV with good spec and the have a high driving position.

Are they reliable? That would be most important 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 73,453 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I was shocked at how good the 1.6 dci was. It’s very torque-steery and wheel-spin-ish though.

I had to check it was 1.6, and check that the tyres weren’t Wallis or Triangles. They were Yokohama’s.

I’d guess the 4wd wouldn’t have this issue.

Didn’t notice it revving high on the motorway.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I was shocked at how good the 1.6 dci was. It’s very torque-steery and wheel-spin-ish though.

I had to check it was 1.6, and check that the tyres weren’t Wallis or Triangles. They were Yokohama’s.

I’d guess the 4wd wouldn’t have this issue.

Didn’t notice it revving high on the motorway.

Do you own one yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,453 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Do you own one yourself?

No, but have got them as rentals.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    No, but have got them as rentals.

Thanks for the info. Them 4WD models are hard to come by!

SUVs might get hammered in the budget. Hybrids might be left alone. Try this for size. http://www.carsireland.ie/2644870

deezell wrote: »
    SUVs might get hammered in the budget. Hybrids might be left alone. Try this for size. http://www.carsireland.ie/2644870

Beast of a thing but at 3.5L slightly out of my economy budget 😅. Also I did my test in the hybrid so only have a license to drive an automatic.

• Advertisement

Beast of a thing but at 3.5L slightly out of my economy budget 😅. Also I did my test in the hybrid so only have a license to drive an automatic.
    It's a hybrid auto, only €390 road tax, 44mpg, better than the rav, and absolute luxury. You'd get a good deal on this, better than on a similarly priced Rav.

http://www.emissionsfinder.com/lexus-rx-my2012-rx450h-advance-35cc

Advertisement