Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭User1998

Whats the story with importing a car and declaring it off the road straight away? Do I just log on to motortax.ie and instead of taxing it I declare it off the road? And if I import on the 29th and declare it off the road immediately I won’t have to pay any arrears for the month will I?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

User1998 wrote: »
    Whats the story with importing a car and declaring it off the road straight away? Do I just log on to motortax.ie and instead of taxing it I declare it off the road? And if I import on the 29th and declare it off the road immediately I won’t have to pay any arrears for the month will I?

I'd imagine you are going to VRT it first because I don't think you could declare a car off the road on motortax.ie with an UK reg. If not, they will still look at the date which it was imported and back date arrears. I've imported cars near the end of the month and had to bad date tax for the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

User1998 wrote: »

there's a timeframe for declaring it off the road, might be ten days.If you're in time, there won't be any arrears.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭User1998

Thanks its on the €1800 rate so I definitely don’t want any arrears :o

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Mammapinkbear

I've just seen a car that I like here in Ireland but it's still on UK plates. I have done all the checks and it seems ok although I can't get any MOT details as it was on private plates while in uk. Is there a way to check this? The private plate is now on a different car.
    Also the car has been in Ireland since January but hasn't been vrt'd. Does this mean I would be caught for penalties if I bought it as it's a private seller. She says she didnt vrt it as she was driving on her dads garage plates (?).
    The car is coming in at a good price even taking vrt and nox charges into account but if I were to get stung with penalties then I may have to rethink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I've just seen a car that I like here in Ireland but it's still on UK plates. I have done all the checks and it seems ok although I can't get any MOT details as it was on private plates while in uk. Is there a way to check this? The private plate is now on a different car.
    Also the car has been in Ireland since January but hasn't been vrt'd. Does this mean I would be caught for penalties if I bought it as it's a private seller. She says she didnt vrt it as she was driving on her dads garage plates (?).
    The car is coming in at a good price even taking vrt and nox charges into account but if I were to get stung with penalties then I may have to rethink.

It should show up under the current reg if it has been MOT’d or at least my recent purchase which had a private plate did. Otherwise a HPI check should have the info you need if you buy one.

Just be careful and double check everything. The story about garage plates doesn’t really add up, they could’ve bought a bad one and want to shift it quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,936 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Does anyone know the up to date story on VRT for a 5 seater crewcab?
    Lookig at a 5 seat pickup (Dodge Ram, Ford Ranger/F150, hilux etc). Are these 13% VRT and no NOX as they are N1 from factory?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭deezell

ELM327 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the up to date story on VRT for a 5 seater crewcab?
    Lookig at a 5 seat pickup (Dodge Ram, Ford Ranger/F150, hilux etc). Are these 13% VRT and no NOX as they are N1 from factory?

Yes. But beware of road tax if you are not commercial/VAT registered. Road tax for private use based on CC, not emissions. A 2.5l is €333 commercial, €1080 private.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

You will have to prove when it came into the country so yes you will incur penalties.

If her father has a garage as they say, they should register it before selling it. If they're a tan holder they don't pay penalties.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Cona wrote: »
    anyone any experience of dealing with BMW dealers up the North? The particular BMW I am looking at is slightly out of my budget, any chance of a dealer negotiating and coming down in price or is there price set in stone?
    Have heard that UK dealers dont haggle whatsoever hence the question here...

Bought my bmw almost new few years back from main dealer ! I offered them 1k less than advertised as I knew it was a good price , they accepted it after few days and met us near Dublin .
    Dead sound they were .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Mammapinkbear

michellie wrote: »
    You will have to prove when it came into the country so yes you will incur penalties.

If her father has a garage as they say, they should register it before selling it. If they're a tan holder they don't pay penalties.

Thanks, I'm thinking I may walk away because the story keeps changing and I don't even know now who the registered owner is. Pity because it was a lovely car.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,336 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Thanks, I'm thinking I may walk away because the story keeps changing and I don't even know now who the registered owner is. Pity because it was a lovely car.

Yes don't let how good the deal looks blind you in to not checking it out properly. Could be massive NOX bill to register too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭phill106

So with current covid fun, is there any UK dealers who arrange shipment of cars to ireland?
    Would prefer that over 2 weeks isolating...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,224 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Very few UK dealers will offer the hassle of arranging shipping for you unless they regularly sell large volumes to Irish customers and have some sort of agreement in place with a transport company. They will either let you arrange your own transport collection from their door or some may drop the car off at the nearest ferry port depending on the distance and you then arrange getting it home from there. Ferry companies can offer a service of loading and unloading the car for you if it's booked in on the trip as freight rather than passenger vehicle. There are also plenty of transport companies here who will collect the car for you from the dealership and drop it to your door but make sure the dealer agrees to this as some will refuse to release the car to a 3rd party for security reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭creedp

bazz26 wrote: »
    Very few UK dealers will offer the hassle of arranging shipping for you unless they regularly sell large volumes to Irish customers and have some sort of agreement in place with a transport company. They will either let you arrange your own transport collection from their door or some may drop the car off at the nearest ferry port depending on the distance and you then arrange getting it home from there. Ferry companies can offer a service of loading and unloading the car for you if it's booked in on the trip as freight rather than passenger vehicle. There are also plenty of transport companies here who will collect the car for you from the dealership and drop it to your door but make sure the dealer agrees to this as some will refuse to release the car to a 3rd party for security reasons.

I've had that issue with a number of dealers that is they won't release the car to a 3rd party unless you turn up in person and complete the paperwork. Your only option then is to use a company that will buy the car on your behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Not sure how widespread this practice is.

I rang 2 Honda dealers in England 2 months ago about cars. No problem with giving car to Eirtrans

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

Folks, how can I pay the DVLA from within the ROI. Ive sent over a bank draft with the V62 form but they sent me back the draft on its own. Postal Orders in sterling don't exist anymore and I don't think I can send sterling from a euro account via cheque.
    Any suggestions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

14murphy wrote: »
    Folks, how can I pay the DVLA from within the ROI. Ive sent over a bank draft with the V62 form but they sent me back the draft on its own. Postal Orders in sterling don't exist anymore and I don't think I can send sterling from a euro account via cheque.
    Any suggestions ?

Why would you want to pay the UK DVLA? They won't send a V5C to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,224 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The V62 form is for UK residents only. They sent it back because they won't issue the replacement V5c to a non UK address.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

14murphy wrote: »
    Any suggestions ?
    Revolut direct debit to Revolut GB account can be set up in a post office the day you buy the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

bazz26 wrote: »
    The V62 form is for UK residents only. They sent it back because they won't issue the replacement V5c to a non UK address.

Reading between the lines, this is another buyer who didn't get the V5C on purchase. If that's the case, try ringing them and if they can find it they may post it to you. If it's been shredded, it will be a big problem. A guy on fb the other day had sold to an Irish buyer and they obligingly posted the original V5C to the new owner even though it was marked exported. Worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 se25

Walk away..plenty of other yokes out their..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Hi

Hoping to collect car from newry tomorrow. In all the excitement I never thought to transfer my insurance and AIG who I am with are not open until Monday morning again. I have fully comp on my current car but I was hoping to cancel that policy today as I’ve a private sale agreed. Would I be better not collecting the car now tomorrow and waiting.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Personally I'd wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Personally I'd wait

So wait until Monday and contact my own insurance company? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭deezell

So wait until Monday and contact my own insurance company? Thanks

Register and do it online?
    https://www.aig.ie/existing-customers/myaig

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Why would you cancel your insurance, move it online to your new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Hi

Hoping to collect car from newry tomorrow. In all the excitement I never thought to transfer my insurance and AIG who I am with are not open until Monday morning again. I have fully comp on my current car but I was hoping to cancel that policy today as I’ve a private sale agreed. Would I be better not collecting the car now tomorrow and waiting.

Thanks

You won’t be insured so hard to see how you could drive it lawfully. A friend with a “driving other cars” extension might be able to collect it for you but they will likely only have 3rd party cover depending on the insurer’s Ts & Cs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Anyone able to give some recent figures on transport from UK back to Dublin? I know its dependant on car location but a rough idea would be good as i haven't been able to get any prices back by email yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭creedp

5500 wrote: »
    Anyone able to give some recent figures on transport from UK back to Dublin? I know its dependant on car location but a rough idea would be good as i haven't been able to get any prices back by email yet

Ballpark €350 - €400

Advertisement