Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

5500 wrote: »
    Anyone able to give some recent figures on transport from UK back to Dublin? I know its dependant on car location but a rough idea would be good as i haven't been able to get any prices back by email yet

It’s 500 to Galway, but I’d imagine they could charge same for Dublin delivery !
    As it must depend what part of Uk it has to be collected too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Thanks lads, is that with the likes of eirtrans or independent guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭deezell

Marcusm wrote: »
    You won’t be insured so hard to see how you could drive it lawfully. A friend with a “driving other cars” extension might be able to collect it for you but they will likely only have 3rd party cover depending on the insurer’s Ts & Cs.

The driving other cars facility is conditional on the other car being insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

deezell wrote: »
    The driving other cars facility is conditional on the other car being insured.

Not always
    However not sure I'd trust it in another jurisdiction

Not always
    However not sure I'd trust it in another jurisdiction

Yes always, unless you have a fully open any car policy, used by car dealers and mechanics. Maybe 3-4 times the cost of a single private owner car policy. Otherwise you could drive multiple uninsured cars on one policy, with the wife and kids listed as owners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,453 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yes always, unless you have a fully open any car policy, used by car dealers and mechanics. Maybe 3-4 times the cost of a single private owner car policy. Otherwise you could drive multiple uninsured cars on one policy, with the wife and kids listed as owners.

Dont think so. Far as I know it’s only a few insurers that require this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭pearcider

Incorrect. In fact the third party extension only applies to the policy holder not the car itself. You can drive multiple uninsured cars as long as they are owned by other people and not hired or leased to you. It’s just not very practical as the car will still need valid NCT and tax and the legal requirement is you display a valid insurance disc...you will also not have cover for fire or theft. So basically it’s designed for emergency use. I’ve been stopped by Garda doing this and it was fine. Just showed them my cert.

pearcider wrote: »
    Incorrect. In fact the third party extension only applies to the policy holder not the car itself. You can drive multiple uninsured cars as long as they are owned by other people and not hired or leased to you. It’s just not very practical as the car will still need valid NCT and tax and the legal requirement is you display a valid insurance disc...you will also not have cover for fire or theft. So basically it’s designed for emergency use. I’ve been stopped by Garda doing this and it was fine. Just showed them my cert.

From Aviva's policy booklet.

"4 a current certificate of insurance
    has been issued and remains in
    force on the Private car being
    driven under the Driving other
    cars cover provided;
    5 you have the consent of the
    owner to drive the Private car"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭User1998

Aviva is more strict than other insurers, Liberty also require the other car to be insured but apart from those two I think the rest don’t require the other vehicle to be insured

cars cover provided;

There's some insurers that have that stipulation and some that don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭pearcider

cars cover provided;

Yeah that’s aviva. Probably the most expensive shower in the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

It’s 500 to Galway, but I’d imagine they could charge same for Dublin delivery !
    As it must depend what part of Uk it has to be collected too ?

Who so this with and does that cover everything

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭square ball

There's some insurers that have that stipulation and some that don't.

They do say it but its incorrect. If an insurance policy covers you to drive a vehicle under third party extension whether or not the vehicle is insured or not is irrelevant as you cannot have dual insurance anyway.

However they may not cover you to drive a car that is not registered to the Republic of Ireland or a car while being driven outside the Republic of Ireland under the third party extension.

It might be possible to email them to do a temporary substitution for the times you need to drive it, most companies can backdate cover once they have confirmation of times and dates of transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

They do say it but its incorrect. If an insurance policy covers you to drive a vehicle under third party extension whether or not the vehicle is insured or not is irrelevant as you cannot have dual insurance anyway.

However they may not cover you to drive a car that is not registered to the Republic of Ireland or a car while being driven outside the Republic of Ireland under the third party extension.

It might be possible to email them to do a temporary substitution for the times you need to drive it, most companies can backdate cover once they have confirmation of times and dates of transfers.

The previous points all miss the fact the the OP will be the owner of both cars, driving other cars under your policy won’t cover you if you own the other car.

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    The previous points all miss the fact the the OP will be the owner of both cars, driving other cars under your policy won’t cover you if you own the other car.

All in response to a poster saying that a friend with driving other cars could collect

LillySV wrote: »
    Who so this with and does that cover everything

I think so ! It was a car dealer told me that

Lads just asking the unknown and a stupid question I know !
    come January is it in yer opinion a car costing 10k in December will it be 12100 in January from the uk . Plus all the rest of the charges

I’m deciding wether to go ahead with a car purchase or not . Car is genuinely not needed till next year any advice or opinions appreciated !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

come January is it in yer opinion a car costing 10k in December will it be 12100 in January from the uk . Plus all the rest of the charges

I’m deciding wether to go ahead with a car purchase or not . Car is genuinely not needed till next year any advice or opinions appreciated !

I asked the same question a few weeks ago when I was in the VRT centre and was told that have no idea as of yet, the have being told nothing.
    There is a poster on this thread that works in a VRT centre maybe he/she can update us when the get some information.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sayno

Buy now. It will be more expensive in January. I am going to buy over the next month or so. Need to sell a Qashqai first. That could be the hard part.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gadge

sayno wrote: »
    Buy now. It will be more expensive in January. I am going to buy over the next month or so. Need to sell a Qashqai first. That could be the hard part.

Automatic or manual 😃

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭User1998

Car price + shipping
    + 12% Customs
    + 21% VAT
    + VRT

So €10,000 + say €400
    = 10,400
    x 12%
    €1,248
    = €11,648
    x 21%
    = €2,446
    = €14,094
    + VRT

This is how import duties are charged from goods bought outside the EU. Eg. Cars from Japan

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭username?!

User1998 wrote: »
    Car price + shipping
    + 12% Customs
    + 21% VAT
    + VRT

So €10,000 + say €400
    = 10,400
    x 12%
    €1,248
    = €11,648
    x 21%
    = €2,446
    = €14,094
    + VRT

This is how import duties are charged from goods bought outside the EU. Eg. Cars from Japan

That is depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭phill106

Anyone able to give some recent figures on transport from UK back to Dublin? I know its dependant on car location but a rough idea would be good as i haven't been able to get any prices back by email yet
    Below is the price for an unattended car on ferry from liverpool to dublin.

Liverpool Customer Services <Liverpool.CustomerServices@poferries.com>
    12:44 PM (5 hours ago)
    to me

Hi,

It would be £257.10 inc vat

Car price + shipping
    + 12% Customs
    + 21% VAT
    + VRT

So €10,000 + say €400
    = 10,400
    x 12%
    €1,248
    = €11,648
    x 21%
    = €2,446
    = €14,094
    + VRT

Whatever about the vat, which would be cancelled by reclaim of UK VAT from a vat qualifying car, I wonder about the import duty on cars of European manufacture. Would the EU charge duty on a vw or audi?, as against a Japanese car, or a UK manufactured car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

phill106 wrote: »
    Below is the price for an unattended car on ferry from liverpool to dublin.

Liverpool Customer Services <Liverpool.CustomerServices@poferries.com>
    12:44 PM (5 hours ago)
    to me

Hi,

It would be £257.10 inc vat

Never knew this was an option before, do you just need to get the dealer to deliver the car to the ferry port in liverpool for a specific time ect or is there more to it? I've done similar with cars via zebrugge before but an agency/stevedore would normally handle it all

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sayno

Gadge wrote: »
    Automatic or manual ðŸ˜႒
    Manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭phill106

Never knew this was an option before, do you just need to get the dealer to deliver the car to the ferry port in liverpool for a specific time ect or is there more to it? I've done similar with cars via zebrugge before but an agency/stevedore would normally handle it all

I came across it online recently, i think here?
    Basically car is shipped as freight.
    I imagine there may be some logisitcal issues like you mention, but am unsure of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Car price + shipping
    + 12% Customs
    + 21% VAT
    + VRT

So €10,000 + say €400
    = 10,400
    x 12%
    €1,248
    = €11,648
    x 21%
    = €2,446
    = €14,094
    + VRT

Thanks for that info.

Was just wondering about this myself this weekend, as we've decided to part with our last 2 right-handers (ex-UK, re-reg'd in Lux) and I'm weighing what to do with them. Had planned to take them back & sell them private in UK, but then I thought (a bit late!) "hang on, what about Brexit?"

There's a low-ish volume of recent and (many more) not-so-recent right-handers on the Continent, ex-UK re-registered locally like ours, that could become a bit more interesting to the Irish market come 1st January: they'll still be EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭quattro777

Is the "Declaration Form for the Registration of a used Vehicle/ Motorcycle" form still required for a VRT inspection?

It's still on the checklist but the link to it on the NCT website has been removed.

• Advertisement

quattro777 wrote: »
    Is the "Declaration Form for the Registration of a used Vehicle/ Motorcycle" form still required for a VRT inspection?

It's still on the checklist but the link to it on the NCT website has been removed.

Yes.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/documents/vrt/form-vrtvpd2.pdf

Advertisement