Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Looks like there putting up vrt in the budget as well

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭quattro777

deezell wrote: »

Thanks,

That is VRTVPD2 which is different.
    Does this replace the one I mentioned or do I need both?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭wassie

I don't recall any such declaration. The only form I recall is the VRTVPD2 - the FAQ on the VRT section of the website seems to be out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Whatever about the vat, which would be cancelled by reclaim of UK VAT from a vat qualifying car, I wonder about the import duty on cars of European manufacture. Would the EU charge duty on a vw or audi?, as against a Japanese car, or a UK manufactured car.

You’ll have to recognise that only a. Small fraction of U.K. cars are sold as VAT qualifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭deezell

Marcusm wrote: »
    You’ll have to recognise that only a. Small fraction of U.K. cars are sold as VAT qualifying.

Sadly, yes. Budget will probably ride imports, lest anyone should devise a way to move them via a vat/duty friendly EU state, then on to here.
    Or maybe imports from NI will be tolerated under old rules, due to special brexit status, while NI can import as many as they like from UK. What a cash cow for NI economy, win win for this island.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭wassie

Sadly, yes. Budget will probably ride imports, lest anyone should devise a way to move them via a vat/duty friendly EU state, then on to here.
    Or maybe imports from NI will be tolerated under old rules, due to special brexit status, while NI can import as many as they like from UK. What a cash cow for NI economy, win win for this island.

Doesn't get any more Irish than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭thadg

User1998 wrote: »
    Car price + shipping
    + 12% Customs
    + 21% VAT
    + VRT

So €10,000 + say €400
    = 10,400
    x 12%
    €1,248
    = €11,648
    x 21%
    = €2,446
    = €14,094
    + VRT

This is how import duties are charged from goods bought outside the EU. Eg. Cars from Japan

If you import a car in mid december and pay vrt in january within the 30 days can the import charges be avoided?

VRT and NOX should be the only things to be paid?

The car would be in the state before the 01/01/21

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭User1998

• Registered Users Posts: 33 se25

thanks User 1998

Excellent video. Answers some question, poses others. Startling figure of used vehicles being 90% of our stock. We simply can't afford to lose that, else we're back to driving hugely overpriced, older and knackered indigenous used stock, as we suffered before used importing reforms.

First, we need to see the earlier session he mentioned on potential import custom duties and VAT.

The presenter and panel refer to 'potential' customs duty and VAT. What are the circumstances for none?

The phrase 'duty VAT' was used, inferring VAT on the potential duty, as distinct from VAT on the entire vehicle price? Again, unclear.

For a private importer, these 'potential' charges are paid up front.

On NI stock, there is no hope of a conduit through NI after Jan1, but again, it's not clear if prior NI ownership of a post Jan 1st UK import will give that vehicle 'residency' in NI. It seems imports of NI registered vehicles will continue under current rules. Do NI residents re register UK vehicles to NI plates? Or is simply having it registered to a NI address sufficient?

On type approval, it's not clear if EU manufactured vehicles coming from the UK will carry an EU type approval on the V5, but I'm guessing not. This will require a CoC as well as the other documents. Note that UK have already removed EU type approval from new cars, so already used imports are showing up without this vital data. The implications for customs on a EU manufactured vehicle are still not clear.

On thing for sure, it's a clusterf***. Used car prices will rocket, while quality will collapse unless there is some give in the system.

Anyone got a link to that earlier session mentioned?

• Advertisement

quattro777 wrote: »
    Thanks,

That is VRTVPD2 which is different.
    Does this replace the one I mentioned or do I need both?

I'm guessing that form is/was the Customs Declaration form for non EU imports, which you will be needing once again soon. I recall confusion over the NCT links before, but the VRTV-dippety-do form is all you need for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,936 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

thadg wrote: »
    If you import a car in mid december and pay vrt in january within the 30 days can the import charges be avoided?

VRT and NOX should be the only things to be paid?

The car would be in the state before the 01/01/21
    Yes you are correct

• Registered Users Posts: 47 xPrePF7z4jLy7M

Two questions about VRTVPD2:

1. Is "Version" in Section 1 the technical version on the V5, or is for for minor model versions like "Luna" and "Sol"?

2. Question 3 says "If the vehicle was purchased abroad and imported into the State by a third party please enter their details here", is this referring to an importer? Or should the transporter be filled in here? (I bought the car myself, and had it collected by a transporter.)

Two questions about VRTVPD2:

1. Is "Version" in Section 1 the technical version on the V5, or is for for minor model versions like "Luna" and "Sol"?

2. Question 3 says "If the vehicle was purchased abroad and imported into the State by a third party please enter their details here", is this referring to an importer? Or should the transporter be filled in here? (I bought the car myself, and had it collected by a transporter.)

1. What's on the V5

2. If the name on the invoice differs from the name of the owner, e.g, if you buy a car for the missus, your name on the garage invoice but her name as the reg owner, you fill this in, and you'll need two sets of Id at the inspection.

Does anyone know the budget vrt Changes will come into effect when ?

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

Does anyone know the budget vrt Changes will come into effect when ?

Usually January 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

grayzer75 wrote: »
    Usually January 1st

Normally.
    With this and the Brexit risk I just bought up the North. Was planning a 2021 purchase but the risk was too much.
    Managed to sell my car over the weekend and just secured its replacement. Collecting this Sat.

VRT and motor tax being based on WLTP Co2
    Hybrid grant gone
    Nox charges being increased
    New motor tax rates for 2021 cars

Sound Paschal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Hybrid grant gone

Sound Paschal

Anyone know where the details of the new VRT are. He announced they would be changing but theyre nowhere to be seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

Hybrid grant gone

Sound Paschal

Presume this is for any purchases from Jan 1st 2021 onwards? So still applying the same rules if bought before the end of year?

• Advertisement

Yeah from January 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

is that cars landed after jan 1st or is it VRT appointment after jan 1st?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Anyone know how much of an increase its going to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,453 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Irishder wrote: »

I would suppose it applies to new cars from 2021 and not cars originally registered before then?

They wouldn’t have WLTP data for older cars.

Edit; they’re gonna guesstimate the emissions and charge based on that. You couldn’t make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

NEW VRT RATES:

See page 19 of the document

VRT RATES ON PAGE 19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Irishder wrote: »

All new and imported cars registered from January 1st will be based on WLTP ratings.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,936 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Hybrid grant gone

Sound Paschal
    Any definitive link to the actual new rates? I'm curious. Especially if they up the nox and motor tax co2

• Registered Users Posts: 51,224 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There is a dedicated budget 2020 discussion thread on the main motors forum.

In a nutshell, old co2 is being converted to new wltp by increasing it approximately 15%. Applied to the new VRT tables, it pushes the average vrt rate mid band up by 2%. Nox is up €200 on 80mg , from €600 to €800. So vrt on a C220D say of €5000 based on 16% rate is now €5625 at 18%, plus the up to extra €200 on the Nox, a tidy €800 ball park increase on a 3 year old import euro 6.

• Advertisement

In a nutshell, old co2 is being converted to new wltp by increasing it approximately 15%. Applied to the new VRT tables, it pushes the average vrt rate mid band up by 2%. Nox is up €200 on 80mg , from €600 to €800. So vrt on a C220D say of €5000 based on 16% rate is now €5625 at 18%, plus the up to extra €200 on the Nox, a tidy €800 ball park increase on a 3 year old import euro 6.

What would a 3 year old 1.6d golf cost? at present i think it’s 2800 to clear in full .

Advertisement