Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭pat1981

Cona wrote: »
    Sorry what?
    Do you mean you tried to buy from one of the Car Supermarket types but they refused so you had to go to a main dealer?

No, it was a franchised main dealer in the uk that refused to sell to me. I had to buy from the retailer directly (car brand that dealt with export).

• Registered Users Posts: 9 BaconSalad

Finally got my car today!!

Just wanted to share my experience as might be helpful...

Also, thanks @User1998 for previously replying to my questions.

For reference and to help anybody considering using the service; I used Flippingcars to purchase. Took me 20 working days to receive it, shipping cost was £395.

My winning bid for a Toyota Auris 2014 Sport (55k miles) was £5300 + auction fee (£335). Final price with shipping & all fees (£6404,20).

The car was grade 3 but no major marks on body, just some scratches through paint but seems to be a quick fix. Also some minor scratches in the interior (door handle etc).

Didn't have the time to check mechanically yet, but drove ok from the port to home.

If anybody needs additional details, feel free to ask!!

On a side note, I would like to ask you for garages in Dublin, with a good service level and fair price that you could recommend?

Also in terms of parts, where do you guys get new & second hand parts?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,336 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

BaconSalad wrote: »
    Also in terms of parts, where do you guys get new & second hand parts?

Have used these before, sadly no dealers here that I know offer anything like this...

www.toyotadirectparts.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Does anyone know if the VRT offices are affected by lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

deezell wrote: »
    ;)
    Closer to 60k maybe? VRT of 36% is correct, Nox of €600. It's all down to the new price in 2010 depreciated by a fair whack. They'll have to base this on open market sales, but I've seen a 2011 for €71k, so.. Good luck, fingers crossed.
    Road tax €2350 btw.

Why would anyone pay 20k+ VRT then 2350 a year tax on a 10 year old car. Why not get a 30 year old 911 or 944 Turbo and pay next to nothing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,224 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Why would anyone pay 20k+ VRT then 2350 a year tax on a 10 year old car. Why not get a 30 year old 911 or 944 Turbo and pay next to nothing?

How much does a 30 year 911 or 944 sell for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

commited wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the VRT offices are affected by lockdown?

I rang this week to check with them ( my appointment is 5th Nov ) and the line is that they are an “Essential service” and will remain open and operational. She also told me that you are exempt from the 5km rule when traveling to and from the centre.

By all accounts the fines for not clearing within 30 days are also waived until Dec 31st. Mine is in since middle of Sept so I’m banking on this 🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

How about an s6? I’m tempted... tax is 1200 for having a v8 under your bum

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭creedp

I rang this week to check with them ( my appointment is 5th Nov ) and the line is that they are an “Essential service” and will remain open and operational. She also told me that you are exempt from the 5km rule when traveling to and from the centre.

By all accounts the fines for not clearing within 30 days are also waived until Dec 31st. Mine is in since middle of Sept so I’m banking on this ��

Can anyone confirm if fines are waived? I'm sweating on the arrival of my VC5 by post and my appointment is next Thursday but I'm considering moving it back to the following Monday in case VC5 doesn't arrive on time. However, that's my last date to stay within the 30 day limit so in case disaster hits and it doesn't arrive in time it would be a relief if I knew the fines were waived under year end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

creedp wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm if fines are waived? I'm sweating on the arrival of my VC5 by post and my appointment is next Thursday but I'm considering moving it back to the following Monday in case VC5 doesn't arrive on time. However, that's my last date to stay within the 30 day limit so in case disaster hits and it doesn't arrive in time it would be a relief if I knew the fines were waived under year end.

V5C you mean? who is posting it to you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭unknownlegend

Just got a car imported today, have the v5c document etc.

Going to kick off the VRT process when the local office opens on Tuesday.

I’ll report back on timelines as I go through the process.

If anybody else has been through it recently would be good to get a sense on timelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Have you an appointment at the local NCTS/VRT place? I searched for an appointment online the day the car arrived. Git one after 3 weeks, kept searching and got a cancellation day after arrival. They didn’t have my car in the system so had to wait 3 weeks for the valuation. I called them after two weeks and that seems to have jogged things along. Didn’t need a second appointment and just went out to Northpoint the next day and paid the money and got my reg. Paid motor tax online the next day and got the disc two days later. Waiting on reg docs before setting up an NCT appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 xPrePF7z4jLy7M

Can anyone confirm if fines are waived?

https://www.ncts.ie/vrt-home/vrt-faq/

Hi Garo, I Haven’t booked in to NCTS yet as no slots in any of the Dublin ones but I’ll keep trying, as you say it looks like they free up every so often. Was going to ring to inquire on Tuesday but will keep trying online in the meantime.
    Hopefully it’s as brisk a process as you experienced!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

Any analysis done to show how much the new rates will add to the cost of importing a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭deezell

Jane98 wrote: »
    Any analysis done to show how much the new rates will add to the cost of importing a car?

Go back to posts on the day of budget and next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Mixupat

Current on an BMW X5 plugin hybrid vrt is 14% and nox 600 i think. Co2 is 77g/km. Car is 2017.

Im not clear what happens in 2021 to plugin hybrid on import? New rate is 9% for 77g/km but diesel and petrol have uplift calculations.

2021 nox i think is circa 750 tbc.

Looking for help to get the correct calculation

That's good news. I had read that as applicable to cars that had been purchased during the period that the VRT centres were closed and so couldn't be VRT's within 30 days. But looking at it again it wouldn't make sense given that the centres have been open since June.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭deezell

Mixupat wrote: »
    Current on an BMW X5 plugin hybrid vrt is 14% and nox 600 i think. Co2 is 77g/km. Car is 2017.

Im not clear what happens in 2021 to plugin hybrid on import? New rate is 9% for 77g/km but diesel and petrol have uplift calculations.

There was a link to the calculation document, and a simple formula, just read back.

Isambard wrote: »
    V5C you mean? who is posting it to you?

Sorry typo! Its being posted by the company that brought the car in for me. I should get it on Tue / Wed but I've had more that one item getting delayed / lost in the post in recent times so am just on tender hooks until it actually arrives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Mixupat

deezell wrote: »
    There was a link to the calculation document, and a simple formula, just read back.
    Does a plugin hybrid petrol fall under the petrol calculation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

That's good news. I had read that as applicable to cars that had been purchased during the period that the VRT centres were closed and so couldn't be VRT's within 30 days. But looking at it again it wouldn't make sense given that the centres have been open since June.

There is a huge backlog at the moment. I’d say once your not taking the piss, you’ll be grand. I got questioned by a customs officer the other morning at a petrol station. I explained the situation and showed him that I had all the paperwork filled out and ready to go and he was happy to leave me go. A few years ago, I’d have pushed out the VRT appointment a few months but nowadays I prefer to get it over and done with quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭User1998

Mixupat wrote: »

Nox is about twenty quid definitely not €600

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Hi Garo, I Haven’t booked in to NCTS yet as no slots in any of the Dublin ones but I’ll keep trying, as you say it looks like they free up every so often. Was going to ring to inquire on Tuesday but will keep trying online in the meantime.
    Hopefully it’s as brisk a process as you experienced!

Yeah I called as well. Got offered one 3 days earlier than original appointment. took it. But then kept searching online every day and on Saturday evening (car arrived Monday) got one for Sunday noon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

I have agreed to buy a car in NI, but can't collect until lockdown finishes. Keen to VRT before Xmas, so would I be looked at sideways if I booked VRT appointment before the car entered the state?

commited wrote: »
    I have agreed to buy a car in NI, but can't collect until lockdown finishes. Keen to VRT before Xmas, so would I be looked at sideways if I booked VRT appointment before the car entered the state?

I can’t comment on trying a VRT appointment before you’ve imported, but I imagine it might be difficult unless you have the registration number and the last digits of the VIN as they are required when booking

I also imported from north but agreed from the supplier they’d arrange transport to the south. Ordinarily I’d have gone up to collect myself, but with restrictions in play it was a good option so they put it on a trailer and delivered to the door, maybe you could discuss if it’s viable

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭User1998

You can enter any reg and vin and show up with something completely different afaik. But sure just ask for the reg and vin before booking

I don’t think they’d care that you booked an appointment before you’ve actually brought the car into Ireland either

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Francescoli

I can’t comment on trying a VRT appointment before you’ve imported, but I imagine it might be difficult unless you have the registration number and the last digits of the VIN as they are required when booking

I also imported from north but agreed from the supplier they’d arrange transport to the south. Ordinarily I’d have gone up to collect myself, but with restrictions in play it was a good option so they put it on a trailer and delivered to the door, maybe you could discuss if it’s viable

I'm looking at the moment to buy from NI but the lock down is putting me off,if I could get it delivered it be great.

Who did you buy from?Can you PM if not allowed mention garages here .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Will the VRT valuations decrease from January 1st due to the car being a year older? If so, at this stage of the year, would it not be worthwhile delaying getting an appointment until the new year, even taking the hit of the late fines for a few weeks, or does the depreciation not kick in on the valuation for a while?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,224 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

New VRT rates announced in the budget come into effect on Jan 1st too so it could end up costing more so don't just assume it will drop because it's a year older.

Advertisement