Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

LillySV wrote: »
    If u referring to the model se85 it’s actually way slower? Don’t know much about Tesla’s so maybe u meant another one?

Slower? You couldn't be more wrong. There is no SE85. The 2014/15 S85 goes from 0-100 in 5.5 seconds for the non-performance version.
    I've driven a lot of cars including V8s and V12s (admittedly 20 years ago). My very first car was a 2.0l petrol. Nothing beats the Tesla on 0-100 speed. Now there are other arguments not to get a Tesla - for instance if you have no space to install a charger or you regularly do > 400km on routes that don't have a Tesla super-charger or you are not sold on the less than premium interior for such an expensive car. But speed is definitely not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

garo wrote: »
    Slower? You couldn't be more wrong. The 2014/15 S85 goes from 0-100 in 5.5 seconds for the non-performance version. Performance is a second faster.

The Audi I had been looking at is something like 4.4 secs

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202009103555637?advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=Bt11aa&model=S6 SALOON&sort=price-asc&page=1&make=AUDI&include-delivery-option=on&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New

Edit:don’t know how to put up links but that’s a 2015 s6 saloon with 4 litre petrol engine

Ps electric makes more sense in long run but I never used sense buying cars or bikes! Haha

Right! I stand corrected. The P85 is 4.2 seconds but they are harder to find though still in a similar price range. And the P85D is 3.2 seconds. The P85D is definitely not a sensible car :D

Right! I stand corrected.

It will most likely stay on a wishlist though as it doesn’t really make sense for me with dog and newborn... need to try be sensible ... spend less too! :)

In regards to the rac used cars query I had, anyone know if that’s extra assurance or just a gimic?

Ps had a look at the p85d... with that power, I think I’d overlook the electric part and have a cdin the car with v12 engine noises that repeats itself haha

• Registered Users Posts: 73,453 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

deezell wrote: »
    That's for OMSP, VRT rate is set, 191-225 is 34%. They're currently depreciating the S6 Quattro 4L petrol by 57% for 2015 model, that's a top of the range car, near 80K new price, it has an OMSP of about 33.5-34K, VRT 11K+ and €600 nox. This won't change by much, there's not a whole lot more you can add to this car, and even an extra ten grand of stuff on the new price reduces to 10×0.43×0.34, €1462 extra VRT. It's unlikely revenue will value an instance of this car at 90 grand.

Sorry - I misread your original post. Makes sense now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭User1998

In regards to the rac used cars query I had, anyone know if that’s extra assurance or just a gimic?

I think it just means rac have done a pre purchase inspection on the car and when you buy the car your given a mechanical report from them. I see there is also rac warranty, it’s just a third party warranty like any other company which most likely won’t be honoured here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Is it only cars from Sept 2018 and before that you need to do the WLTP calculation for? So anything you'd be importing that was registered in the UK between Sept 2018 and December 31st 2020 will already be a WLTP tested car and wont need its CO2 converted?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭deezell

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202009103555637?advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=Bt11aa&model=S6%20SALOON&sort=price-asc&page=1&make=AUDI&include-delivery-option=on&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New

Edit:don’t know how to put up links but that’s a 2015 s6 saloon with 4 litre petrol engine

Ps electric makes more sense in long run but I never used sense buying cars or bikes! Haha

£22k which is €24500, plus about €11900 VRT and Nox, and about €500 to get it here. €37k, for a 152 reg. Thats 9k less than the 2013 one in Wicklow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Anybody here watching the price of Sterling before importing? I’m a bit disgusted I didn’t pull the trigger few weeks back when it was almost 1.05 per pound....

Cona wrote: »
    Anybody here watching the price of Sterling before importing? I’m a bit disgusted I didn’t pull the trigger few weeks back when it was almost 1.05 per pound....

It was 1.08 in Sep for a few days (I got lucky!) but hasn't been 1.05 since March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Smck1983

Then you have P85D ludicrous at 2.8 secs. Works perfectly as a normal family car. I have 3 kids seats and dog in the back, buggy you name it all fits. Brilliant family car that is also fun when they are not in the car!!! My alternative was going to be RS6 and glad I went down the Tesla route!!
    It will most likely stay on a wishlist though as it doesn’t really make sense for me with dog and newborn... need to try be sensible ... spend less too! :)

Ps had a look at the p85d... with that power, I think I’d overlook the electric part and have a cdin the car with v12 engine noises that repeats itself haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

It was 1.08 in Sep for a few days (I got lucky!) but hasn't been 1.05 since March.

Ha, your right...I just imagined in my head that the price was going to hit 1.05 as it seemed to be collapsing due to Brexit and that was when I would pull the trigger. Wonder will the US elections and thus Brexit cause a drop in the next few weeks?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202009103555637?advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=Bt11aa&model=S6%20SALOON&sort=price-asc&page=1&make=AUDI&include-delivery-option=on&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New

Here's something you can't do with the Tesla, 1000hp. From the Audi 4l v8.

https://www.audiworld.com/how-tos/slideshows/an-rs6-avant-has-been-boosted-to-1-000hp-612825

Hogzy wrote: »
    Is it only cars from Sept 2018 and before that you need to do the WLTP calculation for? So anything you'd be importing that was registered in the UK between Sept 2018 and December 31st 2020 will already be a WLTP tested car and wont need its CO2 converted?

Anyone know the answer to this? Or who would I be able to contact in order to get clarification? Been reading the rules and its less than clear!

Anyone know the answer to this? Or who would I be able to contact in order to get clarification? Been reading the rules and its less than clear!

This from revenue

"Since 1 April 2020 V5’s have only shown World Light Vehicle Test Procedure (WLTP) CO2 emissions. WLTP emissions are usually a little higher than the New European Drive Cycle (NEDC) emissions. Prior to 1 April 2020 the V5 declared the older NEDC tested emissions.

When presenting your vehicle for registration, the WLTP figure on the V5 will be used to calculate the tax. NEDC emissions will only be used if evidence in the form of a Certificate of Conformity is presented
    ."

So if presenting a uk April 2020 onwards car before the end of this year, they will use WLTP, as its the only one on the v5, if the NEDC is on the V5C you're fine until Jan1st, when they will use WLTP if present or convert NEDC. As WLTP is higher, if you wish to save a few quid befor 1st Jan, you'll need a CoC with the lower NEDC figure to get the older level of co2 for the car. After Jan 1st, revenue will convert NEDC, and use WLTP directly.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/vehicle-registration-tax/general-information-on-registration.aspx

This from revenue

"Since 1 April 2020 V5’s have only shown World Light Vehicle Test Procedure (WLTP) CO2 emissions. WLTP emissions are usually a little higher than the New European Drive Cycle (NEDC) emissions. Prior to 1 April 2020 the V5 declared the older NEDC tested emissions.

When presenting your vehicle for registration, the WLTP figure on the V5 will be used to calculate the tax. NEDC emissions will only be used if evidence in the form of a Certificate of Conformity is presented
    ."

So if presenting a uk April 2020 onwards car before the end of this year, they will use WLTP, as its the only one on the v5, if the NEDC is on the V5C you're fine until Jan1st, when they will use WLTP if present or convert NEDC. As WLTP is higher, if you wish to save a few quid befor 1st Jan, you'll need a CoC with the lower NEDC figure to get the older level of co2 for the car. After Jan 1st, revenue will convert NEDC, and use WLTP directly.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/vehicle-registration-tax/general-information-on-registration.aspx

Iv bought a friends 2019 520d which is still in the UK. I havnt imported it yet on account of the lockdown. As far as I can see from research online BMW have been declaring WLTP figures since late 2018 for their cars. So should I be getting a certificate of conformity from BMW?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,936 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

At that price bracket importing a 2015 Tesla S85 from the UK is a viable option. A real world winter range of 300km+ and it takes off way faster than that Quattro ever could.
    Doesnt have a v8 though. And the Tesla from 2015 will not be as good performance as the newer one and will not get 300km range either.
    I have a 2016 S90D and would struggle to get 300km in the winter.

Sure it doesn't. You can put on a flac of a V8. The ultra-hifi would make it sound very real :)
    I think a lot of people would get 300km from their S85 in winter. Depends on how you drive and how high you turn up the heater.

Iv bought a friends 2019 520d which is still in the UK. I havnt imported it yet on account of the lockdown. As far as I can see from research online BMW have been declaring WLTP figures since late 2018 for their cars. So should I be getting a certificate of conformity from BMW?

It's pre April 2020, so V5 will state the old lower co2. That's the only figure revenue are interested in, not 9ne on a BMW brochure. Get it in and inspected before Jan 1st, or its co2 will go from say 119 stated to 145 calculated, and VRT from 17% to 21%, with a small hike in Nox also, costing you an extra €1200 on an OMSP of €30k.

You really want to get a move on with the import because you need to have it registered by 31 Dec and there is a wait for appointments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mf310

Looking on Autotrader the last few days , in the market for a 2016 Audi A4 S line , alot more selection of better spec over in England and also better value even with VRT. Now just tonight i've found Flippingcars who buy cars in auctions for you? Seems a better job than Autotrader even for getting a good value car, What do ye think should I pay the flippingcars fee or is there other lads that do it that dont charge as much?

I’d have always recommended him in the past but lately after paying for his fees and his over priced delivery (both of which have gone up in price) and then the auction fees as well, you might only end up saving a few hundred. You’d probably be better off just buying straight from Autotrader and get a car that is of showroom standard. Thats just from my recent experience, maybe your case will differ.

But to be honest I’m not sure if I’d trust him to have a car purchased and delivered to Ireland before Jan 1st. His delivery takes ages and you might then incur VAT and customs

If the vrt calculator is anything to go by, it’s already too late!! Just got quoted 9k for vrt alone (no nox calculated) for a 272bhp a6 avant black edition ... goes on their omsp of 39141!****in scandalous... the vrt office must’ve been taken over by the Green Party

If the vrt calculator is anything to go by, it’s already too late!! Just got quoted 9k for vrt alone (no nox calculated) for a 272bhp a6 avant black edition ... goes on their omsp of 39141!****in scandalous... the vrt office must’ve been taken over by the Green Party

The calculator automatically applies the highest amount (€6,000) if you don’t enter the nox amount

User1998 wrote: »
    The calculator automatically applies the highest amount (€6,000) if you don’t enter the nox amount

I know... I didn’t count that, I counted the figure for vrt prior to that figure being calculated! That’s ludicrous figure .

But the OMSP is probably less than average price here of that same car, what, 2018 year? VRT is 23% because emissions are highish on the 3L engine, 141-155 band, hence €9k figure, but forget about it come Jan 1st, co2 of 151 say converts to 184, that's 31% VRT on the new table, so new VRT of €12k, an increase of €3k.
    This car is is euro 6, Nox well below 80, so this is not one of the 'smokey' cars SIMI were ranting about, this is a typical green party target. Fwiw, it probaly took far less energy and rare materials resources to manufacture than a smaller electric, but the blinkered brigade never consider that, they never count maufacture emissions over the driving lifetime (a car like this might easily put 500,000 km on the road before scrapping, compared to a windy up Leaf which is toast after 100,000). And of course they still count the recharging resources as zero, as if an electric car is charged by standing it in a strong breeze. To misquote the late Albert Reynolds, "Sure that's Greens for ye".

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭vmware

2018 A6 Avant Black Editon 2.0 TDi Ultra 190 Stronic (Old Shape)

looking importing this,

Jan 2018 38000 miles

Whats the approx VRT / NOX to import this?

vmware wrote: »
    2018 A6 Avant Black Editon 2.0 TDi Ultra 190 Stronic (Old Shape)

looking importing this,

Jan 2018 38000 miles

Whats the approx VRT / NOX to import this?

€6363 VRT, Nox is low on these, 50 I think so €250 for Nox.
    Stat code 43988161

I assumed May 2018, but it makes small difference, though a late reg such as December is actually €113 less, yet you get a 182 reg.

531212.jpg

Tbh, in 2018 I found no value in importing a 3 yo A6 Quattro, VRT too high. I picked one up here, Irish car, main dealer. 2 year warranty, 70k miles, for €26k. A beauty, and a bargain, on the lot for 7 months with no takers. 3 years and 3 litres hard enough to sell, so shop around, you might be surprised, especially ex lease and PCP cars.

• Advertisement

But the OMSP is probably less than average price here of that same car, what, 2018 year? VRT is 23% because emissions are highish on the 3L engine, 141-155 band, hence €9k figure, but forget about it come Jan 1st, co2 of 151 say converts to 184, that's 31% VRT on the new table, so new VRT of €12k, an increase of €3k.
    This car is is euro 6, Nox well below 80, so this is not one of the 'smokey' cars SIMI were ranting about, this is a typical green party target. Fwiw, it probaly took far less energy and rare materials resources to manufacture than a smaller electric, but the blinkered brigade never consider that, they never count maufacture emissions over the driving lifetime (a car like this might easily put 500,000 km on the road before scrapping, compared to a windy up Leaf which is toast after 100,000). And of course they still count the recharging resources as zero, as if an electric car is charged by standing it in a strong breeze. To misquote the late Albert Reynolds, "Sure that's Greens for ye".
    That’s a car registered from march 2016, think the co2 is 144g/km if remember right...

I’ve noticed that vrt seems to be up on a lot of yokes I had priced previously .... I snoozed so I lose! Haha

Advertisement