Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭vmware

what do I require when I goto the NCT centre?

Can I pick the reg as in a D reg or C Reg ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭deezell

vmware wrote: »

Your address on the vrtdp2 form determines the plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

V5C
    ferry ticket
    proof of id and address
    receipt.

more info on the relevant website.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,224 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It gets registered in the county of the address you provide to them via a utility bill. All required documentation is listed on the nct website.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mf310

Does Flippingcars allow you to get the car delivered yourself and what are their fees?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mf310

One more question lads sorry, What would be a good way to lower VRT? Hard to know what they base it on as the same model car can be a difference of 1500. Im looking at a 2016 Auto A4 and its nearly working out at 4500€ VRT id prefer to pay alot less VRT than this.

For anyone who imported recently could ye give a rough price on what ye paid for VRT?

Mf310 wrote: »
    One more question lads sorry, What would be a good way to lower VRT? .....
    ....For anyone who imported recently could ye give a rough price on what ye paid for VRT?

Pay it kneeling down? At the rate its going up you'll have to lie prostrate before the revenue to import a car.

VRT based on emissions, which gives a % rate, which is applied to the current open market price of the car in question. Cars which lose their value quickly but have low emissions have relatively low VRT to value. Sought after cars like vw golf have higher OMSP, but plenty of low emissions. Along with vrt you'll pay Nox charge, which hits nearly 4 grand for older diesels, so look for a euro6 standard car, where Nox is less than 80mg (€600) for diesels. Max Nox for any petrol is €600. Big budget increases on Jan 1st, not counting Brexit.
    5 grand is high for a 2016 car. Try running a 2016 C class 220d on the calculator.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,224 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Mf310 wrote: »
    One more question lads sorry, What would be a good way to lower VRT? Hard to know what they base it on as the same model car can be a difference of 1500. Im looking at a 2016 Auto A4 and its nearly working out at 4500€ VRT id prefer to pay alot less VRT than this.

For anyone who imported recently could ye give a rough price on what ye paid for VRT?

VRT on a particular car is not something that can be negotiated at the time of paying it. You can appeal it after initially paying it but you need to provide solid proof to Revenue that they charged too much.

The main options to pay less VRT initially is research the particular models and see if the Co2 figure and NOx charges vary between the different models. You also have to look at the OMSP or valuation here that Revenue put on the car your buying. In the UK they sell certain trims models with lower emissions or BIK for business buyers. For example with Audi they brought out "Ultra" models in the likes of the A4 and A6 that were tuned for lower emissions and lower rates of BIK

Electric cars and petrol hybrids normally come with lower VRT but they can be more expensive to buy in the UK so it can be swings and roundabouts regarding the overall cost of importing. These may not suit you though if you don't have the ability to charge at home or your mileage doesn't suit one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

deezell wrote: »
    Fwiw, it probaly took far less energy and rare materials resources to manufacture than a smaller electric, but the blinkered brigade never consider that, they never count maufacture emissions over the driving lifetime (a car like this might easily put 500,000 km on the road before scrapping, compared to a windy up Leaf which is toast after 100,000). And of course they still count the recharging resources as zero, as if an electric car is charged by standing it in a strong breeze. To misquote the late Albert Reynolds, "Sure that's Greens for ye".

This is a myth based on old outdated research. Any EV produced in the last 5 years is likely to be way greener than the equivalent ICE car.
    https://theconversation.com/climate-explained-the-environmental-footprint-of-electric-versus-fossil-cars-124762
    https://afdc.energy.gov/vehicles/electric_emissions.html#wheel

And you can't really compare an Avant A6 to a Leaf. A like for like would compare to a Tesla Model S or an Audi e-Tron. Bet you both of those do way more than 100,000km.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭creedp

Isambard wrote: »
    V5C
    ferry ticket
    proof of id and address
    receipt.

mkore info on the relevant website.

One quick question. I have an invoice for a car brought in from UK that doesn't have a vat amount provided. It just has the total price paid. Will this be a problem as the VRT form says vat amount needed when car not bought from a private individual

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,336 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

creedp wrote: »
    One quick question. I have an invoice for a car brought in from UK that doesn't have a vat amount provided. It just has the total price paid. Will this be a problem as the VRT form says vat amount needed when car not bought from a private individual

No that's perfectly fine.

garo wrote: »
    This is a myth based on old outdated research. Any EV produced in the last 5 years is likely to be way greener than the equivalent ICE car.
    https://theconversation.com/climate-explained-the-environmental-footprint-of-electric-versus-fossil-cars-124762
    https://afdc.energy.gov/vehicles/electric_emissions.html#wheel

And you can't really compare an Avant A6 to a Leaf. A like for like would compare to a Tesla Model S or an Audi e-Tron. Bet you both of those do way more than 100,000km.
    My point is that taxes levied on ICE are out of proportion to their total manufacturing and.emissions footprint, over their lifetime. No one is talking about the future elephant in the room, of old parked up electric cars, down to a range of maybe 49km in need of a €15-€20,000 battery, which no one us going to buy when you can get a cheap, ICE tax subsidised new car. Like the subsided bread in former communist east Germany, it was mostly used to fatten pigs for pork, cheaper than buying pig feed. There is currently no balance in the car market. A Leaf costs nearly as much as an A6 stripped of subsidies and taxes. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭unknownlegend

creedp wrote: »

It would be a problem if it’s a new means of transport (less than 6 months old / less than 6k kms) and you had to do a U.K. vat rebate - but hopefully it isn’t a “new means of transport”

It would be a problem if it’s a new means of transport (less than 6 months old / less than 6k kms) and you had to do a U.K. vat rebate - but hopefully it isn’t a “new means of transport”

No such luck! It's a 2017 so that should be fine then one less problem to worry about

I was just checking the FAQ's on the VRT site and the required documents include the following

1. Please print and fill out the following Declaration Form for the Registration of a used Vehicle/ Motorcycle
    2. Please print and fill out the following Form VRTVPD2 for Private vehicles

I'm familiar with No. 2 but when I clicked on the link for No.1 it just brought me to the NCT Test Booking Page so I'm not able to find this 'Declaration Form for the Registration of a used Vehicle / Motorcycle'. Does anyone have a link to this form or advise where I can get a copy of it?

That's been covered here before, you just need (2), the clue is in the name, VRTVPD2, VRT Vehicle Purchase Declaration 2. For private vehicles, by private applicants. The Links are all over the place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Its a few months since I filled them out, but its the NCT "form" with relevant questions like "how many windows" etc,

It looks like a bad link, I have a hope, they got rid of it.

When is your appointment? it would only take a couple of minutes to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

How long are people waiting on a VRT appointment currently in the Dublin region?

kanuseeme wrote: »
    Its a few months since I filled them out, but its the NCT "form" with relevant questions like "how many windows" etc,

It looks like a bad link, I have a hope, they got rid of it.

When is your appointment? it would only take a couple of minutes to do it.

Appointment is Thursday evening so I have plenty of time to get and complete form if needed. However as per Deezel above the form isnt needed. If so the list of required forms on the FAQ is a bit confusing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭User1998

Yeah that form definitely isn’t needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Hogzy wrote: »
    How long are people waiting on a VRT appointment currently in the Dublin region?

Been trying to book online the past few days and not had any slots pop up, so will have to ring to book in id say. Also wheres the ballymount centre? I always only thought Greenhills did it

5500 wrote: »
    Been trying to book online the past few days and not had any slots pop up, so will have to ring to book in id say. Also wheres the ballymount centre? I always only thought Greenhills did it

I just called up there and got an appointment for 21 November in Northpoint. The lady on the phone was really helpful. Call up because they can put you on the waitlist. Im on a waitlist aswell because I dont want to have to be questioned by the Gardai at every checkpoint about the VRT so if i can get an appointment before the 21st ill take it. I just want to get the Irish reg on the car so Ill be waived on through. Iv never been so eager to pay tax :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Hogzy wrote: »
    I just called up there and got an appointment for 21 November in Northpoint. The lady on the phone was really helpful. Call up because they can put you on the waitlist. Im on a waitlist aswell because I dont want to have to be questioned by the Gardai at every checkpoint about the VRT so if i can get an appointment before the 21st ill take it. I just want to get the Irish reg on the car so Ill be waived on through. Iv never been so eager to pay tax :p
    I've been driving a car with UK plates for 4 weeks and not one garda at any checkpoint has asked about vrt

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Plenty of availability in North Point right now for mid-to-late November. Both Greenhills and Ballymount only had availability for today, I won't have my car for another few days so went with North Point. Saves me the trip to Dundalk anyway.

And for those trying to calculate VRT and aren't really too sure if they're using the VRT calculator right, I used this website to see what the VRT is on similar models and based my budget off that. It gives the total VRT for each car they have for sale. The VRT calculator was giving me a lower price so at least now I'm prepared for the higher price if I did do it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I've been driving a car with UK plates for 4 weeks and not one garda at any checkpoint has asked about vrt

I was at one the other day but the lads at the checkpoint knew the crack with the delays and weren't bothered once I had it booked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Long as you have it booked in.

Speaking from bitter experience here.
    Had a car lifted off me by the guards in 2007 outside carrickmacross on my way to work one morning....
    Think the fine was 10% of OMSV at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

Plenty of availability in North Point right now for mid-to-late November. Both Greenhills and Ballymount only had availability for today, I won't have my car for another few days so went with North Point. Saves me the trip to Dundalk anyway.

And for those trying to calculate VRT and aren't really too sure if they're using the VRT calculator right, I used to see what the VRT is on similar models and based my budget off that. It gives the total VRT for each car they have for sale. The VRT calculator was giving me a lower price so at least now I'm prepared for the higher price if I did do it wrong.

Have a date for 17th (booked 28/10) for a 118d. VRT site is a joke - clicked on the 1st 'F20 D SE' and it frightened the life out of me at €5k+ (quote for a 143g output).

It quotes July 2018 1 series depreciation as follows:

116D 35%
    118D 20%
    120D 28%

It also quotes the OMSP for the 120D as being less than the 118D. According to them, you pay less VRT on a 190BHP 120D yielding 140g than you would for a 118D at 119g (V5C states 115g)!

I know it's only a guide but a little effort at clarity and accuracy would be nice.

Couldn't find an 'Approved' 118d in Ireland since last June - maybe that's what's driving the low depreciation figure?

BTW UK garage delivered my car to the port (at no cost to me), freighted over with P&O €228 Liverpool-Dublin, picked it up next day.

Have a date for 17th (booked 28/10) for a 118d. VRT site is a joke - clicked on the 1st 'F20 D SE' and it frightened the life out of me at €5k+ (quote for a 143g output).

It quotes July 2018 1 series depreciation as follows:

116D 35%
    118D 20%
    120D 28%

It also quotes the OMSP for the 120D as being less than the 118D. According to them, you pay less VRT on a 190BHP 120D yielding 140g than you would for a 118D at 119g (V5C states 115g)!

I know it's only a guide but a little effort at clarity and accuracy would be nice.

Couldn't find an 'Approved' 118d in Ireland since last June - maybe that's what's driving the low depreciation figure?

BTW UK garage delivered my car to the port (at no cost to me), freighted over with P&O €228 Liverpool-Dublin, picked it up next day.

Try this stat code. Emissions 115gm depreciation 25% for 2018.
    The variant list is not filtered or labelled, and does not take account of the year of the car you enter, so it is easy to select an engine option that was not available for the car for the year you entered. Once you match the emissions and some of the words of the variant to that on the V5 you can be fairly sure you have the right one. In that stat code, variant is just "D SE 5 door', F20 is a given as the car is 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Cork 2020Lolz

Looking to import a Jagaur XF from UK dealership. Newest model 260, 2016 Reg mileage on the 5 cars I'm looking at range between 50-90k miles. Only looking at samller 2.0L Diesel engines max 161BHP to help reduce VRT. However, even on cars that are €13000 the VRT is still giving me a range of €8-10k which is obscene.
    Am I doing something wrong on VRT site? I thought newer model (better emission engine), lower BHP and low mileage would suffice on giving a max VRT of €3k.

Appreciate any advice

• Advertisement

Looking to import a Jagaur XF from UK dealership. Newest model 260, 2016 Reg mileage on the 5 cars I'm looking at range between 50-90k miles. Only looking at samller 2.0L Diesel engines max 161BHP to help reduce VRT. However, even on cars that are €13000 the VRT is still giving me a range of €8-10k which is obscene.
    Am I doing something wrong on VRT site? I thought newer model (better emission engine), lower BHP and low mileage would suffice on giving a max VRT of €3k.

Appreciate any advice

Youre probably not putting in a NOX figure which is returning the maximum NOX charge of €4,850

Advertisement