Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Try a petrol model. The NOx duty should be lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,224 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The max NOx charge on any petrol is €600. What good is that though if the OP is looking at getting a figure for a diesel one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭deezell

bazz26 wrote: »
    The max NOx charge on any petrol is €600. What good is that though if the OP is looking at getting a figure for a diesel one?

Max Nox on a Euro 6 diesel also €600, for 80mg. C02 on the 2l xf only 109, nox 55

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

deezell wrote: »
    Try this stat code. Emissions 115gm depreciation 25% for 2018.
    The variant list is not filtered or labelled, and does not take account of the year of the car you enter, so it is easy to select an engine option that was not available for the car for the year you entered. Once you match the emissions and some of the words of the variant to that on the V5 you can be fairly sure you have the right one. In that stat code, variant is just "D SE 5 door', F20 is a given as the car is 2018.
    Thanks for that. Should have stated that it is an auto.

I don't think F20 is a given (although logic dictates it should be) as the D SE cars throw up wild variations (143mg CO2!) as previously stated.

I have been putting in F20 for months but not yesterday!

Two x "D F20 SE 5DR AUTO" quoted today: codes 49385158 & 48085158 which yield 15% (99mg) and 16% (110mg) respectively and a €715 discrepancy in OMSP.

Hilariously, my spec list includes a no-cost option: "ZO2 model Year CO2 Change" which results in a 115gm figure on the V5C (I presume this is the figure they will use) so 17% it is then!

Again, depreciation percentages for F20s are still
    116d 35%
    118d 20%
    120d 28%

Surely their figure is skewed by the dearth of 118d models in Ireland?

Have £3,300 worth of extras which I assume will work out at more than €5k here.

Thanks again for your input.

The large choice of D SE variants is down to the use of this variant over the different iterations of the 1 series car. A D SE variant of the older model E81 will only be valid for up to 2013, but of course you can put the year of the car as 2018, and the calculator will happily compute the VRT on a non existent car, (though it's possible a brand new one sat in a store not registered until 2018). That's why I said F20 is implied. The VRT office are only interested in matching the emissions, engine cc and if the model name and variant are a match. If your V5c says F20 D SE, they will use the stat code for a D SE if there is no matching engine listed under the number of F20 stat code entries. It would help if the year data was entered first and used to filter out infeasible combinations of engines and year models.
    This is the stat code for 118 auto D SE with co2 of 115.
    Depreciation 25%, VRT ex Nox about 4 grand, €4025 to be precise on an OMSP of €23677 based on May 2018 reg and 50K miles.
    I doubt they'll pay any attention to the extras.

• Advertisement

The large choice of D SE variants is down to the use of this variant over the different iterations of the 1 series car. A D SE variant of the older model E81 will only be valid for up to 2013, but of course you can put the year of the car as 2018, and the calculator will happily compute the VRT on a non existent car, (though it's possible a brand new one sat in a store not registered until 2018). That's why I said F20 is implied. The VRT office are only interested in matching the emissions, engine cc and if the model name and variant are a match. If your V5c says F20 D SE, they will use the stat code for a D SE if there is no matching engine listed under the number of F20 stat code entries. It would help if the year data was entered first and used to filter out infeasible combinations of engines and year models.
    Depreciation 25%, VRT ex Nox about 4 grand, €4025 to be precise on an OMSP of €23677 based on May 2018 reg and 50K miles.
    Much appreciated - here's hoping you're correct about the extras! Nox is only .009. Only 23.5k miles- would be very happy at the quoted €4189!

Much appreciated - here's hoping you're correct about the extras! Nox is only .009. Only 23.5k miles- would be very happy at the quoted €4189!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

Did anyone chance going to the North for a car since level 5. Have a car bought up there. Was going to get it delivered down, at my own cost but I'm thinking of chancing going up Saturday morning. It's only in Craigavon. Or would anybody know any good car transport company's?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Golf4GolfGti

Hi there,

Im looking at an import from the UK and am looking for a second opinion on whether to buy or not.

https://www.motors.co.uk/car-57978202/?i=0&m=srf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQYezm3nvpI&feature=youtu.be

A quick search of the previous owner from logbook history brings up a lot of boyracer results etc.

Vehicle report from cartell.ie looks to be a clean bill of health and dealer says there has been no modifications, but I am unsure, for example the 530E badge is missing from the rear of the car.

Any advice would be greastly appreciated.

.009g or 9mg, is this on the v5? Extraordinary low Nox.

• Advertisement

Hi there,

Im looking at an import from the UK and am looking for a second opinion on whether to buy or not.

A quick search of the previous owner from logbook history brings up a lot of boyracer results etc.

Vehicle report from cartell.ie looks to be a clean bill of health and dealer says there has been no modifications, but I am unsure, for example the 530E badge is missing from the rear of the car.

Dealers will tell you what you want to hear to get the sale over the line. It's not like the 530e is a rare car, don't dwell on one that you have doubts about.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 seadal

Could someone tell me what I need to get from the transport company that will satisfy the Vrt office on shipping date?
    I picked up a car yesterday but all I got was a copy of the credit card receipt

Did you get a dated invoice from the seller?

Did you get a dated invoice from the seller?

Yes, I have that

Have a read of the documentation needed half way down this page:

https://www.ncts.ie/1209/

It mentions to bring an invoice with a date of purchase on it. I suppose if you want to be extra sure you could always contact the transport company and ask for a proper receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Hi there,

Can’t imagine boy racers choosing the 5 series hybrid as a racing car ... tax, insurance and cars there are cheap... in regards to the 530e badge missing... I’d say a good majority of bmws are debadged... I have an e60 520d which has the 520d took off it for instance... looks nicer without it . I looked at cars in Dace Manchester in March (and was dumb enough not to buy then ) and know all their cars looked very clean ... they had everything from Porsche, Ferrari, vw, Bmw etc for sale . They couldn’t be too bad if they able to see such big items . Assume that DACE centre would be to the same standard

Have a read of the documentation needed half way down this page:

https://www.ncts.ie/1209/

It mentions to bring an invoice with a date of purchase on it. I suppose if you want to be extra sure you could always contact the transport company and ask for a proper receipt.

Thanks for the link. Since posting the transport company has sent on an invoice with the details so that should do.
    I see from the ncts link that the requirement to book your vrt inspection within 7 days and get it done within 30 has been scrapped until January (or you won't be fined at least)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭blingrhino

I imported a corsa that was mot till next April in UK.
    I paid duty and taxed it but got no nct disc.
    I have received the tax book.
    Do i have to book an nct test now as well? To obtain certificate and disc

blingrhino wrote: »

Is it a 2016 or older car? Nct is not due on any car younger than 4 years plus 4 Covid months, so any 2017 car would not be due a test until after April 2021. The MOT kicks in at 3 years old, so depending on date of reg, the mot may not be transferable as no NCT is required, and may have expired by the time an NCT is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mf310

Bought a Jaguar XE through Flipping cars today just wondering how people are paying for cars in the UK to avoid paying excess exchange rates?
    Was planning on driving the car that I buy home but it took longer than expected and now with the lockdown over there im guessing im going to have to get it delivered. Has anyone any good options for transport? I dont want to wait the 2 weeks to a month for flippingcars to deliver.

Thanks alot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭User1998

Pretty sure he doesn’t let you pick the car up yourself, he always made me pay for his transport, which is slow and over priced

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Mf310 wrote: »
    Bought a Jaguar XE through Flipping cars today just wondering how people are paying for cars in the UK to avoid paying excess exchange rates?
    Was planning on driving the car that I buy home but it took longer than expected and now with the lockdown over there im guessing im going to have to get it delivered. Has anyone any good options for transport? I dont want to wait the 2 weeks to a month for flippingcars to deliver.

Thanks alot

I used Revolut last time and used the bank transfer function. Transaction took seconds to land in sellers account. You’ll need to upgrade to a premium account but it’s worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭Buffman

blingrhino wrote: »

Just send them in the MOT.

https://www.ncts.ie/1123/

If you import a second hand vehicle from another EU Member State and the vehicle has a current EU Roadworthiness Certificate, you can have the unexpired portion of the certificate recognised by exchanging your out-of-state roadworthiness certificate for an Irish issued EU recognition certificate.
    When the United Kingdom (UK) leaves the European Union (EU), NCTS will continue to process Mutual Recognition applications up until 31 December 2020 (current transition period) in respect of UK private vehicles being imported into the State.
    In order to obtain an EU recognition certificate for a private vehicle you must complete an Mutual Recognition Application Form and return the completed application form and required fee of €15.50 (this fee is being waived until further notice) with the original or a certified true copy of the out of state roadworthiness certificate (if the certificate is not in English, please ensure you provide a translation of the certificate in the English language) to the following postal address: Certificate Administrator, Applus Car Testing Service Ltd, Citywest Business Campus, Lakedrive 3026, Naas Road, Dublin 24, D24 RC8V.
    The Irish issued EU recognition roadworthiness certificate will be issued by post to the current registered owner of the vehicle

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Was looking to bring in a VW CC and checked th Reg on motorcheck.ie for VRT and was getting about 2590 VRT + about 300 NOx tax on a 2016 2l Diesel.

But just checked on the VRT official site now with the proper NOx details (118grms) and it’s giving me a NOx rate of 1,500 totaling 4,119 as opposed to under 3 k.

Can anyone shed light on these anomalies.

.009g or 9mg, is this on the v5? Extraordinary low Nox.
    Yes, on the V5. I have read that a particular 520D estate once achieved a zero Nox rating. Still in the dark as to whether they will use WLTP or NEDC CO2 figures to calculate the % rate. Some sites have suggested they use WLTP unless you have a 'Certificate of Conformity' from an approved source eg DVLA - DVLA quotes the old NEDC figure of 99mg! Other sites suggest that there is some sort of combined 'NEDC 2' figure in use until Jan 2021.

More research this evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭User1998

FLOOPER wrote: »
    Was looking to bring in a VW CC and checked th Reg on motorcheck.ie for VRT and was getting about 2590 VRT + about 300 NOx tax on a 2016 2l Diesel.

But just checked on the VRT official site now with the proper NOx details (118grms) and it’s giving me a NOx rate of 1,500 totaling 4,119 as opposed to under 3 k.

The CC produces 118 grams of Co2. Co2 and Nox are different. The Nox figure would be something like 0.060

Yes, on the V5. I have read that a particular 520D estate once achieved a zero Nox rating. Still in the dark as to whether they will use WLTP or NEDC CO2 figures to calculate the % rate. Some sites have suggested they use WLTP unless you have a 'Certificate of Conformity' from an approved source eg DVLA - DVLA quotes the old NEDC figure of 99mg! Other sites suggest that there is some sort of combined 'NEDC 2' figure in use until Jan 2021.

More research this evening!
    Correction: DVLA quotes 115
    Vehicle Certification Agency 99

FLOOPER wrote: »

I can only say that I used motorcheck for three checks. The first two yielded finance red flags which turned out to be nothing when investigated further.

The third check (on the car I actually bought) threw up 'serious' mileage and registration irregularities. It turned out that their information was utterly inaccurate and that there was no issue whatsoever.

I received an apology from Stevan - I would have thought a refund was more appropriate!

ukimports has four 2016 vw cc online, one of which has a Nox quote of €600 - the other three at €240 - go figure!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,445 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Got some shock trying to import a 325d/330d last night.

Can buy one for 4k but nox and vrt comes to another 5k.

Is it that bad or am I just looking at the wrong cars?

• Advertisement

What year are you looking at?

My 2017 430d cost just over 5k in VRT/NOx a few months back.

Advertisement