Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Dr Dave

Am I correct in calculating the additional cost of the extras in this way?

Total cost of extras when new = €4,500.
    As car is 181, so between 2 and 3 years old. Making the depreciation 40%.
    This adds €2,700 to the OMSP. i.e. 60% of €4,500
    At a 16% VRT rate, this is an additional €432.

Is that correct?
    Better off in my pocket, but not the end of the world all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Anyone bring one over in the last couple of weeks - I see a lot of garages are offering free nationwide delivery with the increased lockdown. Looking to bring a classic over myself - dealer has offered to drop it at ferry port for me once I get it checked out fully. Any recommendations appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Dr Dave

Anyone bring one over in the last couple of weeks - I see a lot of garages are offering free nationwide delivery with the increased lockdown. Looking to bring a classic over myself - dealer has offered to drop it at ferry port for me once I get it checked out fully. Any recommendations appreciated

Are you looking for transport recommendations?
    Ring the adds on Done Deal is a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭bikerboy_ie

I've had my VRT inspection on 17th Nov and i'm still waiting for revenue to contact me with a figure to pay. is anyone else waiting this long?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

I've had my VRT inspection on 17th Nov and i'm still waiting for revenue to contact me with a figure to pay. is anyone else waiting this long?

october?

• Advertisement

Isambard wrote: »
    october?

Yes, sorry had it on the 17th Oct

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

long time but I'm guessing they might be snowed under with so little time to 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Call them. I was waiting three weeks and once I called them they got going and sent me one in 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Yes, sorry had it on the 17th Oct

Big delays at the moment from revenue.

Dr Dave wrote: »
    Thanks for that deezell.
    Did a bit more looking myself.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/vehicle-registration-tax/vrt-manual-section-08.pdf

If they bother looking and do find them, this is the official procedure.

Establish the value of any optional extras
    The next step in the valuation process is to establish if the particular vehicle has
    optional extras and to attach a value to them. This is done by reference to trade
    guides, supplier catalogues and other relevant sources of material. The extras are
    depreciated (at an accelerated basis) over the first 5 years of the life of the vehicle.
    Age of vehicle Reduction in OMSP of extras
    Less than 3 months 0%
    Less than 1 year 10%
    Less than 2 years 25%
    Less than 3 years 40%
    Less than 4 years 55%
    Over 4 years 100%
    This depreciation in the value of extras is based on the age of the vehicle, which is
    calculated using a specific “extras” formula and which is different from the formula
    used to calculate the age of the vehicle.

Hopefully, they won't see anything.

What's the first registered date and make&model of your car Dr.dave?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

michellie wrote: »
    What's the first registered date and make&model of your car Dr.dave?

So if I get a 2015 car, they don’t count any extras yea? Class if so

garo wrote: »
    Call them. I was waiting three weeks and once I called them they got going and sent me one in 2 days.

Call NCT office or Revenue? I've called NCT and they said that they would email Revenue on my behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Call NCT office or Revenue? I've called NCT and they said that they would email Revenue on my behalf.

I called Revenue directly. They have a VRT section and I got through to someone pretty quickly.

LillySV wrote: »
    So if I get a 2015 car, they don’t count any extras yea? Class if so

Yes that's right. Extras are on higher end models under 2years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 xPrePF7z4jLy7M

I had mine the same day, got an email and text yesterday.

So just to double check this... if I brought a car into Ireland first week of dec but can’t get apt until Jan... are they basing vrt on when it’s brought in or when I finally get apt ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,224 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They will go off the rates on the day it is presented for inspection afaik, however VRT rates are changing on Jan 1st to reflect the changes announced in the recent budget so it could be higher or lower depending on the car and year of registration.

bazz26 wrote: »
    They will go off the rates on the day it is presented for inspection afaik, however VRT rates are changing on Jan 1st to reflect the changes announced in the recent budget so it could be higher or lower depending on the car and year of registration.

Anything I’m likely to get is 3 litre diesel so probably a lot worse ... but would the difference be negated by fact the car is a year older i wonder ?

LillySV wrote: »
    Anything I’m likely to get is 3 litre diesel so probably a lot worse ... but would the difference be negated by fact the car is a year older i wonder ?

The vrt you pay is based on the omsp on the day you pay, doesn't matter when you import it. It can go up or down on any given day, but it generally changes at the start of the month. I've seen it go up by 100s(highest was a increase of 1200). So it's not always a given that the vrt will go down each month.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

michellie wrote: »
    The vrt you pay is based on the omsp on the day you pay, doesn't matter when you import it. It can go up or down on any given day, but it generally changes at the start of the month. I've seen it go up by 100s(highest was a increase of 1200). So it's not always a given that the vrt will go down each month.

If I import a 2019 car, where does one find the new WLTP Co2s? 2019 Golf GTD seems to have either 117g or 125g? But under new tax system, these would go down in VRT? I assume there is a higher WLTP co2 listed somewhere on the COC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

This 3.0 diesel.
    Is it relatively new? As in euro 6
    As the NOx on the older ones (bmw and vag) is eyewatering.

This 3.0 diesel.
    Is it relatively new? As in euro 6
    As the NOx on the older ones (bmw and vag) is eyewatering.

I was hoping on something around 2015, would be a lower nox item

A 2015 BMW with the 3.0d engine would be Euro 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Quick question:

Have identified a car to bring in from UK.

Whats the cheapest form of payment a dealer will take. Bank charges are quite high for transfer.

Will there be any complications re VRT and etc when it comes in before Dec.

Or is it straightforward if it comes in before Jan 2020

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭deezell

FLOOPER wrote: »
    Quick question:

Have identified a car to bring in from UK.

Whats the cheapest form of payment a dealer will take. Bank charges are quite high for transfer.

Will there be any complications re VRT and etc when it comes in before Dec.

Or is it straightforward if it comes in before Jan 2020

Thanks

Direct transfer to the dealers account is best for them and for you if you use Revolut, Transfermate or Currency fair.

You may not get an inspection before Jan 1st which will complicate things. You should check how the car will be affected by the new VRT emissions conversions and bands if you end up with inspection after Jan 1st.
    If it's a post April 2020 car and already specified in WLTP on the v5 cert you might be disadvantaged by paying VRT now based on the old NEDC emissions rates. Revenue won't convert back to the lower NEDC emissions, they'll calculate using the higher WLTP.

People overlook something very important when it comes to what method of payment to use, you need to first check with the seller what method they will accept. Some sellers can be very picky so you need to know in advance rather than turning up on the day and finding out.

deezell wrote: »
    Direct transfer to the dealers account is best for them and for you if you use Revolut, Transfermate or Currency fair.

You may not get an inspection before Jan 1st which will complicate things. You should check how the car will be affected by the new VRT emissions conversions and bands if you end up with inspection after Jan 1st.
    If it's a post April 2020 car and already specified in WLTP on the v5 cert you might be disadvantaged by paying VRT now based on the old NEDC emissions rates. Revenue won't convert back to the lower NEDC emissions, they'll calculate using the higher WLTP.

What's the situation with 2019 regs? It seems they are exempt from the
    Petrol: y = x(0.9227)+34.554 Diesel: y = x(1.1405)+12.858
    Will one have to provide a manufacturer coc since the tax book will still show nedc co2s?

bs2014 wrote: »
    What's the situation with 2019 regs? It seems they are exempt from the
    Petrol: y = x(0.9227)+34.554 Diesel: y = x(1.1405)+12.858
    Will one have to provide a manufacturer coc since the tax book will still show nedc co2s?

They will only be exempt if their V5 states emissions in WLTP, and that conversion only applies after Jan 1st. Up to Jan 1st , no conversion of NEDC takes place, but WLTP emissions will not be reverse calculated back to NEDC, in that case you would need a CoC.

deezell wrote: »
    They will only be exempt if their V5 states emissions in WLTP, and that conversion only applies after Jan 1st. Up to Jan 1st , no conversion of NEDC takes place, but WLTP emissions will not be reverse calculated back to NEDC, in that case you would need a CoC.

Thanks; what you say sounds rationale but the revenue website would lead you to believe its only cars first registered prior to Sept 2018. I'm looking at a 19 Golf so I assume the Co2s on it will be NEDC and still have to go through the Diesel: y = x(1.1405)+12.858. How does one know if the Co2 quoted on say autotrader or a dealers website is WLTP or NEDC?

• Advertisement

bs2014 wrote: »
    Thanks; what you say sounds rationale but the revenue website would lead you to believe its only cars first registered prior to Sept 2018. I'm looking at a 19 Golf so I assume the Co2s on it will be NEDC and still have to go through the Diesel: y = x(1.1405)+12.858. How does one know if the Co2 quoted on say autotrader or a dealers website is WLTP or NEDC?
    Afaik only cars registered after April 1dr 2020 are showing WLTP on the V5.
    The conversion from NEDC to WLTP only happens in January.

Advertisement