Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Question: I thought I read somewhere on here before that Car Supermarket chains won’t sell if it’s for an export. Can anyone confirm this and would you know if it applies to all the franchises in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,453 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Cona wrote: »
    Question: I thought I read somewhere on here before that Car Supermarket chains won’t sell if it’s for an export. Can anyone confirm this and would you know if it applies to all the franchises in the UK?

Not the case usually. It’s an issue with Mercedes main dealers anyway.
    Some garages won’t do distance selling though for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,426 ✭✭✭User1998

Anyone know if the vrt late fees are definitely being waved until the end of the year? Is there any written confirmation?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭deezell

User1998 wrote: »
    Anyone know if the vrt late fees are definitely being waved until the end of the year? Is there any written confirmation?

Yes, here, it expires on Dec 31st.
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/corporate/communications/covid19/vrt-and-excise.aspx

Thanks Deezell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

User1998 wrote: »

First hand experience, my car was over a month late going and no penalty’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭clones1980

Hi. I am looking at buying either a 1.4 or 1.6 golf in the north. Possibly 2017 or 2018. Would I be better buying this year or holding off until january does anyone know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

clonesbabe wrote: »
    Hi. I am looking at buying either a 1.4 or 1.6 golf in the north. Possibly 2017 or 2018. Would I be better buying this year or holding off until january does anyone know.

Get it in and vrt before year end
    Ring for cancelation etc if you're after dec

On top of higher vrt you COULD have no deal brexit and a ball of extra tax

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

deezell wrote: »
    Direct transfer to the dealers account is best for them and for you if you use Revolut, Transfermate or Currency fair.

You may not get an inspection before Jan 1st which will complicate things. You should check how the car will be affected by the new VRT emissions conversions and bands if you end up with inspection after Jan 1st.
    If it's a post April 2020 car and already specified in WLTP on the v5 cert you might be disadvantaged by paying VRT now based on the old NEDC emissions rates. Revenue won't convert back to the lower NEDC emissions, they'll calculate using the higher WLTP.

Thanks Deezell,

am worried now about committing to this car. The car is 2016 A4 2.0 TDI SE. 150PS.

What do you think the worst case scenario could be with new rates. Would hope to have the car by next week.

VRT + NOx calculated around 3K.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Get on the Revenue website and book an inspection now. That model is common enough that you should be able to get a valuation on the day so won't be left waiting for Revenue. If you can find an appointment in the first half of Dec you should definitely be fine. Also if you don't find an appointment right now, keep looking for cancellations and maybe even call them.

The problem with Revenue not valuing the car before Jan 1st is we don't know what form Brexit is gonna take and you may end up being liable for import taxes.

• Advertisement

Yeah there's been a few examples done with the new VRT.
    A complete guess but an extra grand??

A No Deal Brexit could throw another few grand onto it

Looking at pulling trigger on a import from north Ireland this week. Didn’t even think about the delays with VRT. What is the rough estimate that I would have to wait?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

Looking at pulling trigger on a import from north Ireland this week. Didn’t even think about the delays with VRT. What is the rough estimate that I would have to wait?

My local vrt office told me yday a week and half waiting time but naturally that will change by centre and as we get into Dec

You should get an appointment within 4 weeks and if theres no stat code expect that to take another 4 weeks, in my experience lately

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

I had to go on waiting list for Blarney in Cork, also they said that there are waiting lists for the other closest ones in Limerick/Skibereen/ and Kerry

If I am lucky 2-3 weeks..

VRT Kells booked today - 11th December is earliest

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sayno

I booked Castlebar last week. The earliest date was 1/12. It must be getting busy

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭SwordofLight

So the end of this week might see Brexit finally happening.

Can't understand why people are still bringing cars in - there's not much value anymore unless up over £15k I think. I was looking at 2016 Ford Kuga but by the time the VRT is paid it ends up similar to the cost of cars here, if not a little more. Think I'm going to give up.

If I export the car back to the UK, as I may need to move - I would get the VRT refunded wouldn't I?

Sorry if this has been asked before... What would be the current state of play if I wanted to travel to mainland UK and bring a car home. Obviously it would be get a flight over and get the ferry back.

Trying to figure out if this is possible as Irish would have to restrict movements once arriving in UK for 14 days...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Sorry if this has been asked before... What would be the current state of play if I wanted to travel to mainland UK and bring a car home. Obviously it would be get a flight over and get the ferry back.

Trying to figure out if this is possible as Irish would have to restrict movements once arriving in UK for 14 days...

you'd have to quarantine for 14 days on return and can only travel 5km anyway for non essential purposes.

• Advertisement

Isambard wrote: »
    you'd have to quarantine for 14 days on return and can only travel 5km anyway for non essential purposes.

Thats not an issue for me, more wondering about the restrictions on the UK side. Would I be able to travel over (on a flight) and back (on ferry) on the same day without issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭SwordofLight

Thats not an issue for me, more wondering about the restrictions on the UK side. Would I be able to travel over (on a flight) and back (on ferry) on the same day without issue?

...and we wonder why the virus won't go away :rolleyes:

Can't you just have it inspected, then delivered to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,224 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Travelling abroad is still classed only for essential reasons only. Technically they cannot stop you but the Government advice is not to travel abroad unless deemed essential. And I don't think going over to buy a car would be seen as essential travel to be honest.

If you can get the dealer to deliver the car to the ferry port then you can book it on as freight. If it's booked as freight it will be loaded/unloaded by the ferry company. You can then collect it at this side once it arrives. The alternative is to have a transport company collect it from the dealer and bring it over for you. Both would involve you have the car inspected first though. Hard to know how that goes given the UK is in lock down too, though it depends which part of the UK you are buying from as the restrictions vary between England, Scotland and Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

there are very few restrictions in the UK, that's why they are the 5th worst covid nation. I wouldn't risk that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭richieffff

Can't understand why people are still bringing cars in - there's not much value anymore unless up over £15k I think. I was looking at 2016 Ford Kuga but by the time the VRT is paid it ends up similar to the cost of cars here, if not a little more. Think I'm going to give up.

I know in my case I just couldn't get the car here. The last one of the particular model was sold in March, for 5K more than the rough total of the one I'm bringing in.

If I export the car back to the UK, as I may need to move - I would get the VRT refunded wouldn't I?

There is a lot of value to be had over the 15 anyway

Brought a low mileage 2017 CRV in from the north over the summer for 18k all in.
    20 or so more

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

we brought a car in 2 months ago.
    I've yet to see the same car for sale anywhere in Ireland

edit, found one. €3000 dearer
    and doesn't have the same list of spec

and another one, €6000 dearer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Brought over a Seat Alhambra with Flipping Cars 2 months ago. Now it was a drawn out process and shipping took a while. Had to travel from Cork to Dublin to collect it. Was initially told it would come into Cork.
    Car is 2017 SE LUX with 30K KMS on it. Save the bones of 7K on it for me it was well worth it. Much better specced car for allot less money that saving includes the VRT as well.

So still value out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Psygnosis wrote: »
    Brought over a Seat Alhambra with Flipping Cars 2 months ago. Now it was a drawn out process and shipping took a while. Had to travel from Cork to Dublin to collect it. Was initially told it would come into Cork.
    Car is 2017 SE LUX with 30K KMS on it. Save the bones of 7K on it for me it was well worth it. Much better specced car for allot less money that saving includes the VRT as well.

So still value out there.

U found them good? Does he vrt it too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

LillySV wrote: »
    U found them good? Does he vrt it too?

Ok but long time to ship. You get it yourself

Advertisement