Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Psygnosis wrote: »
    Ok but long time to ship. You get it yourself

Sound. My worry at moment is that if I do find what I want then I still mightn’t get chance to have it vrtd before end of dec... whereas dealers seem to get preferential treatment and could get an apt before then ....

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Brought over with Eirtrans before ( no affiliation with this company) and it went smoothly so I will use again before the end of the year, roughly 400+ VAT for somewhere in the midlands to Cork and 500+ VAT if your picking it up in London area, think he said they have 12 lorries, or do 12 trips weekly. I wouldnt fancy travelling over at the moment anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

deezell wrote: »
    Afaik only cars registered after April 1dr 2020 are showing WLTP on the V5.
    The conversion from NEDC to WLTP only happens in January.
    According to Autocar: "WLTP became mandatory from 1 September 2018 for measuring CO2 emissions and fuel economy on all new cars in the EU."

I recently purchased a BMW, registered 31/07/18, which had WLTP on the V5C as a no-cost extra!

It clearly states on the VRT site that the car will be taxed according to the CO2 stated on the V5C.

Paid my VRT today and was assessed at 17% on the WTLP of 115 as against the NEDC of 99 (15%) that prevailed at the time.

It seems unfair to me, particularly as the VRT in January will be at the new WLTP rate of 14.5%.

What are my chances with an appeal???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Hi folks, If I purchase a car in UK on December 20th And I can’t get a VRT appointment until
    January 10th, is there a risk I could get done for VAT and customs duties also, or will they go on date of invoice, and I’ll only need to deal with new VRT rules? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

@Brewster: They'll go by date of registration so you will be taking that risk.

Edit: Correction the date of reg is relevant for VRT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭deezell

According to Autocar: "WLTP became mandatory from 1 September 2018 for measuring CO2 emissions and fuel economy on all new cars in the EU."

I recently purchased a BMW, registered 31/07/18, which had WLTP on the V5C as a no-cost extra!

It clearly states on the VRT site that the car will be taxed according to the CO2 stated on the V5C.

Paid my VRT today and was assessed at 17% on the WTLP of 115 as against the NEDC of 99 (15%) that prevailed at the time.

It seems unfair to me, particularly as the VRT in January will be at the new WLTP rate of 14.5%.

What are my chances with an appeal???

Good. You're entitled to be assessed at the old NEDC emissions, as these were not stated on the V5, the revenue default is what's on the V5. To appeal you will need the eu Certificate of Conformity for this model which will state the NEDC emissions. You can get this for a fee, or possibly from the Dealer, if you can match the
    Type approval number on your current v5 ( I presume it's still on it) to a European version of the CoC. It's a complex area, ( see this https://www.vrt.ie/faq/certificate-of-conformity/), I've no idea how to get the generic CoC for your model for free, but for a BMW it can be bought for €149, here, https://coceurope.eu/product/certificate-of-conformity-coc-bmw/

If you had waited to reg in January, you would have paid under the new system, and no late fees are applied up to the end of 2020. This is an option for cars which are less VRT under the new system.

Plus, i don't think VAT and excise are an issue as these are date of import dependent.

Plus, i don't think VAT and excise are an issue as these are date of import dependent.

This was my question. Surely we have clarity at this stage? If an invoice was dated 12th December and I rock up to VRT centre on Jan 10th, then surely they couldn’t charge VAT and Excise given the changes hasn’t applied at this point? VRT is separate I guess?

garo wrote: »

Ah surely this can’t be correct? The car was bought in December, and no purchases on this date should have vat and excise applied?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

What's your source for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

you'd think that would be the case, although you'd have to have proof it was imported pre 2021 I guess.

Assuming vat and excise is not charged for a 2020 import date, and you have a car which benefits under the new VRT rates on a January inspection, there's also the chance that OMSP will be reduced as its a new year, so win win possibly.

Assuming vat and excise is not charged for a 2020 import date, and you have a car which benefits under the new VRT rates on a January inspection, there's also the chance that OMSP will be reduced as its a new year, so win win possibly.

This sounds like my scenario.....

You are right. VAT and excise are based on date of import. VRT based on date of registration. Make sure you have proof of date of import with you when you go to get the VRT done.

You are right. VAT and excise are based on date of import. VRT based on date of registration. Make sure you have proof of date of import with you when you go to get the VRT done.

Did you see this somewhere official!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

What happens with a jap import?

What happens with a jap import?

Send him home if he has no work permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 weary1

Good. You're entitled to be assessed at the old NEDC emissions, as these were not stated on the V5, the revenue default is what's on the V5. To appeal you will need the eu Certificate of Conformity for this model which will state the NEDC emissions. You can get this for a fee, or possibly from the Dealer, if you can match the
    Type approval number on your current v5 ( I presume it's still on it) to a European version of the CoC. It's a complex area, ( see this https://www.vrt.ie/faq/certificate-of-conformity/), I've no idea how to get the generic CoC for your model for free, but for a BMW it can be bought for €149, here, https://coceurope.eu/product/certificate-of-conformity-coc-bmw/

If you had waited to reg in January, you would have paid under the new system, and no late fees are applied up to the end of 2020. This is an option for cars which are less VRT under the new system.

BMW say that they supply free certificate of conformity for all UK reg cars.
    see discover.bmw.co.uk/help/ownership/certificate-of-conformity

you just email the address given

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Anything registered in January will go under the new vrt rates, doesn't matter when it entered the country.

It was the same situation when Nox was brought in in January and any other changes in VRT.

If you do not want to get stung give yourself plenty of time. Im warning people with weeks. There's also a 5 week backlog with revenue at the moment, which will hopefully be sorted fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

michellie wrote: »
    Anything registered in January will go under the new vrt rates, doesn't matter when it entered the country.

It was the same situation when Nox was brought in in January and any other changes in VRT.

If you do not want to get stung give yourself plenty of time. Im warning people with weeks. There's also a 5 week backlog with revenue at the moment, which will hopefully sorted fast.

Que all the threads in January moaning about the fact they knew nothing about this...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Truckermal wrote: »
    Que all the threads in January moaning about the fact they knew nothing about this...:D

Yep!! To be fair it could be made a little clearer :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Send him home if he has no work permit.

Apologies

With regard to the current situation when importing a car from Japan.
    What date is considered the import date. As it is highly likely the same process will hold true for the import date of any UK car post brexit.

Import date for VAT and excise rather than the VRT date.

Clearer for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Imprted cars have to pay excise and VAT at the port of entry I believe, so import date is clear.

Brewster wrote: »
    Did you see this somewhere official!?

https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-traders-and-agents/brexit/information-for-businesses/vrt-implications-of-trade-with-the-uk/vrt-implications-of-importing-cars-from-the-uk.aspx

It is a bit of a confusing read. Vehicles brought in before 31 December 2020 can be registered as normal. But the VRT caculation is made as of the date of registration. But you will need to show proof of date of importation as I mentioned above.

Apologies

With regard to the current situation when importing a car from Japan.
    What date is considered the import date. As it is highly likely the same process will hold true for the import date of any UK car post brexit.

Import date for VAT and excise rather than the VRT date.

Clearer for you?

Nothing changes re Japan. Regardless of when you import a Japanese car, you would be liable for VAT and excise.

There is a subtle difference as U.K. changes its relationship with EU and becomes a third country. I think we are all clear now that if you buy a car in the U.K. in the month of December, and it arrives into country by 31st December, then no VAT and excise custom duties will apply when you pay VRT in January. VRT will be under new regime. If you buy in U.K. on 2 Jan, then you will be liable for VAT and customs. Agreed?

https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-traders-and-agents/brexit/information-for-businesses/vrt-implications-of-trade-with-the-uk/vrt-implications-of-importing-cars-from-the-uk.aspx

It is a bit of a confusing read. Vehicles brought in before 31 December 2020 can be registered as normal. But the VRT caculation is made as of the date of registration. But you will need to show proof of date of importation as I mentioned above.

Thank you very clear. In the past, for anybody importing in December, the VRT would always have fallen, well in most cases anyway, by registering it in January as opposed to December. The car is considered a year older and the OMSP reduces. While the %VRT will change in January 2021, I am sure the OMSP will fall for most cars. People need to consider final impact though.

Nothing changes re Japan. Regardless of when you import a Japanese car, you would be liable for VAT and excise.

There is a subtle difference as U.K. changes its relationship with EU and becomes a third country. I think we are all clear now that if you buy a car in the U.K. in the month of December, and it arrives into country by 31st December, then no VAT and excise custom duties will apply when you pay VRT in January. VRT will be under new regime. If you buy in U.K. on 2 Jan, then you will be liable for VAT and customs. Agreed?

The VAT thing is still vague, as the car is used, it has a recorded VAT history in a EU member state prior to Jan 2021. As this VAT is not redeemable on export (except in the case of VAT qualifying cars), eu VAT has been collected. Same argument goes for customs/excise. It's only when we start importing used cars which were imported and sold in the UK post Brexit, or <6 months old and <6k km (considered new) that things should change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Is the customs etc set in stone yet or are we waiting for the announcement of an agreed brexit deal?

If we are in a no deal situation then goodbye buying cars in uk

Is the customs etc set in stone yet or are we waiting for the announcement of an agreed brexit deal?

If we are in a no deal situation then goodbye buying cars in uk

I would have thought that regardless of whether the U.K. has a trade agreement with the EU or not, it becomes a third country on 1 Jan and as such VAT and customs would be due. However, I am not an expert.

• Advertisement

The VAT thing is still vague, as the car is used, it has a recorded VAT history in a EU member state prior to Jan 2021. As this VAT is not redeemable on export (except in the case of VAT qualifying cars), eu VAT has been collected. Same argument goes for customs/excise. It's only when we start importing used cars which were imported and sold in the UK post Brexit, or <6 months old and <6k km (considered new) that things should change.

Can you not buy any new car in the U.K. net of VAT at the moment by filling in that HMRC export declaration? I don’t think VAT is the issue. I think it becomes a customs excise issue in 2021 which will make the vast majority of cars uneconomical to import. Given that dealers source vast quantities of cars in the U.K., it will be interesting.

Advertisement