Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

Hi,

I'm in the process of importing an English 2017 Mazda Cx-5 but I have just noticed that in the MOT hstory, the last MOT in Mar 2020 it passed but with an advisory of "Offside Rear Service brake binding but not excessively (1.2.1 (f))"

Can anyone tell me what this means, how easy it might be to fix it and whether it should prevent a sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,336 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Jane98 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm in the process of importing an English 2017 Mazda Cx-5 but I have just noticed that in the MOT hstory, the last MOT in Mar 2020 it passed but with an advisory of "Offside Rear Service brake binding but not excessively (1.2.1 (f))"

Can anyone tell me what this means, how easy it might be to fix it and whether it should prevent a sale?

Basically means handbrake wasn't tight enough on the passenger side, minor issue that could happen on any car, simple to resolve by either tighening or fitting new brake shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,224 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

But isn't the handbrake on those an electronic parking brake rather than a traditional hand brake leaver with a cable?

bazz26 wrote: »
    But isn't the handbrake on those an electronic parking brake rather than a traditional hand brake leaver with a cable?

Yes it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭deezell

Hi,

Brake binding is not when the brakes pads are not tight enough, it's when the brakes pads or shoes don't release after the handbrake is disengaged. When you move forward there is still brake resistance followed usually by a little jerk as the pads or shoes retreat under the motion pressure from the drum or shoes. The handbrake mechanism needs a good cleaning, if it's a shoe and drum service brake the disk/drum might need removing to access and clean out all the accumulated shoe residue and dirt, with a little lubricant applied to the levers. If it a motorised handbrake operating on the main disk brake pads, again the motor mechanism might need to be removed and cleaned out, also the brake pads could be sticking in the caliper due to general crap and corrosion.
    Clean clean clean, wire brush, and a little anti seize grease on moving parts, but well clear of pad/shoe surface.

• Advertisement

deezell wrote: »
    Brake binding is not when the brakes pads are not tight enough, it's when the brakes pads or shoes don't release after the handbrake is disengaged. When you move forward there is still brake resistance followed usually by a little jerk as the pads or shoes retreat under the motion pressure from the drum or shoes. The handbrake mechanism needs a good cleaning, if it's a shoe and drum service brake the disk/drum might need removing to access and clean out all the accumulated shoe residue and dirt, with a little lubricant applied to the levers. If it a motorised handbrake operating on the main disk brake pads, again the motor mechanism might need to be removed and cleaned out, also the brake pads could be sticking in the caliper due to general crap and corrosion.
    Clean clean clean, wire brush, and a little anti seize grease on moving parts, but well clear of pad/shoe surface.

So am I right in thinking its not a huge job to fix (assuming it hasn't been done already by the dealer or the person who owned it at the time) and should not be a barrier to buying?

What's the best website to do a comprehensive check on a UK car?

So am I right in thinking its not a huge job to fix (assuming it hasn't been done already by the dealer or the person who owned it at the time) and should not be a barrier to buying?

It's no biggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

What's the best website to do a comprehensive check on a UK car?
    From personal experience, avoid Motorcheck!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

I got an AA check done last week, very happy with it - went as far as advising the bonnet nuts were removed as some stage suspecting a bonnet respray/fix. Then he tested all around with the digital paint depth detector to see if there was any resprays - fairly detailed report with a few things to look at!
    Even the dealer said that was one of the better reports done by that guy, he has a bit of a reputation for being enthusiastic :)

Still buying the car though :)

forgot to add, if your with the AA here you can blag for a discount even though you have to call them, its a different AA membership thing over there but they were happy to give me 20Quid off over the phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

I've bought a few cars in the UK over the years but thinking of bringing in a VW Amarok next. It'll be a N1 commercial vehicle. Am I right in saying that there is no NOX on this type of vehicle? I don't have a business so it will be private. VRT on 1 jeep I was looking at is coming in at €1003, would this be right? This low? Going to VRT a car on Thursday and it's coming in at €1500. Can't believe the Amarok is showing this low.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mf310

Does anyone know anyone else than flippingcars to bid on cars for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sayno

There is a man near me who bid on a Q3 for me last week. He also sorted out transport and VRT appt. PM me if you want a number

masit wrote: »
    I've bought a few cars in the UK over the years but thinking of bringing in a VW Amarok next. It'll be a N1 commercial vehicle. Am I right in saying that there is no NOX on this type of vehicle? I don't have a business so it will be private. VRT on 1 jeep I was looking at is coming in at €1003, would this be right? This low? Going to VRT a car on Thursday and it's coming in at €1500. Can't believe the Amarok is showing this low.
    N1 VRT is 13.3% of OMSP. VRT of €1003 means an OMSP of about €7500, which must be a fairly old example, 2010-2011. A reasonable year amorak , 2013 say, would have OMSP of about €13k, VRT of €1726. The VRT remains the same for a private importer, but road tax will be based on CC not emissions, not too bad for a 2l at €710 as against the commercial rate of €333, but fairly stiff for the 3l at €1495. No Nox charge on N1, but you must get DoE version of the NCT every year, not every 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

N1 VRT is 13.3% of OMSP. VRT of €1003 means an OMSP of about €7500, which must be a fairly old example, 2010-2011. A reasonable year amorak , 2013 say, would have OMSP of about €13k, VRT of €1726. The VRT remains the same for a private importer, but road tax will be based on CC not emissions, not too bad for a 2l at €710 as against the commercial rate of €333, but fairly stiff for the 3l at €1495. No Nox charge on N1, but you must get DoE version of the NCT every year, not every 2.

Yeah, it’s a 2011 with high mileage. Just 1 I was looking at up the North. God, the tax is fairly steep on the 3 litre. I’ll try and keep to the 2.0’s so!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Nonsense, I saved at least 5 1/2k on my last car, bought up north. 17 1/5k brought in vs 23-24 here.

What u buy and when? Have u looked at prices recently

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

LillySV wrote: »
    What u buy and when? Have u looked at prices recently

I bought in May, it doesn’t really matter what I bought.

I bought in May, it doesn’t really matter what I bought.

U bought it in may... big difference then... I could’ve made big saving then but I was a fukin idiot who didn’t act on it

It’s not the same value now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

LillySV wrote: »
    U bought it in may... big difference then... I could’ve made big saving then but I was a fukin idiot who didn’t act on it

It’s not the same value now

Well I just checked prices on what I bought and they haven’t changed much, prices in the north up a little but not much, corresponding price here hasn’t changed at all, still plenty of savings to be made.

Well I just checked prices on what I bought and they haven’t changed much, prices in the north up a little but not much, corresponding price here hasn’t changed at all, still plenty of savings to be made.

Maybe it’s just my choices .. I’m looking for 300bhp plus estates or suvs... 2015 era....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Does anyone know what the new NOx and VRT charges will be from Jan 1st.

AFAIK as long as the car is brought in before Jan 1st there'll be no issue with Brexit and importation taxes so presumably you can book a VRT after.

FLOOPER wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the new NOx and VRT charges will be from Jan 1st.

AFAIK as long as the car is brought in before Jan 1st there'll be no issue with Brexit and importation taxes so presumably you can book a VRT after.

http://budget.gov.ie/Budgets/2021/Documents/Budget/BUDGET%2021_Tax%20Policy%20Changes.pdf
    Page 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Thanks but doesn't really give me any comparable values just the new ones.

Just really want to know will there be much difference in charges on a 2lt diesel 2015 with low NOx.

Don't need exacts. Educated ball parks would suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,336 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Just really want to know will there be much difference in charges on a 2lt diesel 2015 with low NOx.

Euro 6 was September 2015, no diesel after this can emit more than 80mg/km of NOx so absolute max is €600.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/calculating-vrt/calculating-the-nox-charge.aspx
    https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/tips-advice/90816/euro-6-emissions-standards-what-do-they-mean-you

The existing rates of VRT are easily found, a quick search and you have them.
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/vehicle-registration-tax/vrt-manual-section-08.pdf
    Page 11.
    Look up the emissions of the car. Find your old VRT rate in this document. Use the formula in the previous document to convert your old NEDC emissions to the new WLTP emissions. Use the new table in the same document to find the new VRT rate. Apply that percentage difference to the OMSP of the car you are looking at. You can get this from the ros VRT online calculator. Do similar for the Nox, which has also changed.
    There's no magic casual list that will tell you what you want, there are so many variables, you have to work it out on a vehicle/emissions/Nox/age/milage basis, then convert to WLTP and manually adjust using the new tables. It's a bit of work, as everything is in the real world, (unlike the Trump style Twitter world where an opinion pulled our of your arse is a fact).
    A 2015 diesel car will cost more. Thats pretty much a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

what is the best way to pay vrt? bank draft on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sayno

They will accept card payments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭Buffman

what is the best way to pay vrt? bank draft on the day?

Card, as you won't know the exact VRT amount until they tell you, what you get on the online calculator may not be exactly what they ask for on the day.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

How long are people waiting at the moment for an inspection by Revenue? I had my VRT appointment the other day and was told I needed a Revenue inspection as they needed to determine what extras were on the car. Apparently revenue text you with a time? Do they come to the house or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,224 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Lol, they don't come to your house, they are not the Gestapo. Revenue have all the info they need from the car's VIN that they get from the NCT centre. It can take 10 working days for them to come back but because of Covid it's taking longer.

Advertisement