Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

deezell wrote: »
    The existing rates of VRT are easily found, a quick search and you have them.
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/vehicle-registration-tax/vrt-manual-section-08.pdf
    Page 11.
    Look up the emissions of the car. Find your old VRT rate in this document. Use the formula in the previous document to convert your old NEDC emissions to the new WLTP emissions. Use the new table in the same document to find the new VRT rate. Apply that percentage difference to the OMSP of the car you are looking at. You can get this from the ros VRT online calculator. Do similar for the Nox, which has also changed.
    There's no magic casual list that will tell you what you want, there are so many variables, you have to work it out on a vehicle/emissions/Nox/age/milage basis, then convert to WLTP and manually adjust using the new tables. It's a bit of work, as everything is in the real world, (unlike the Trump style Twitter world where an opinion pulled our of your arse is a fact).
    A 2015 diesel car will cost more. Thats pretty much a fact.

is there any cars that will work out better? petrols or hybrids perhaps?

Im assuming that cars should have lower omsp next jan as older.. could that omsp reduction lead to many cars working out at around the same vrt wise or even better after the change over to new vrt rates in some cases?

i found this link to cars post brexit (someone probably linked this previously) and it does indeed say vat will only apply to new cars and excise wont count on NI imports so maybe not all doom in gloom

https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-traders-and-agents/brexit/brexit-for-individuals/importing-a-vehicle-from-great-britain-gb-or-northern-ireland.aspx

Edit, just did the calculations and realized my fav cars going up by at least 7% so it is doom and gloom

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

bazz26 wrote: »
    Lol, they don't come to your house, they are not the Gestapo. Revenue have all the info they need from the car's VIN that they get from the NCT centre. It can take 10 working days for them to come back but because of Covid it's taking longer.

So what, do they get onto BMW UK and see what extras are on the car? I dont understand how they could calculate the figure more accurately without seeing the car. Especially considering the exact model is listed on the ROS website with the correct spec and CO2 emissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,426 ✭✭✭User1998

Hogzy wrote: »
    So what, do they get onto BMW UK and see what extras are on the car? I dont understand how they could calculate the figure more accurately without seeing the car. Especially considering the exact model is listed on the ROS website with the correct spec and CO2 emissions.

Just let revenue do their thing and wait until they text you. You then return to the vrt centre and pay

• Registered Users Posts: 51,224 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If your car exactly matched an existing stat code from the ROS site then it wouldn't have had to be reverted to Revenue for one. The spec or extras fitted must have made it different and it has to be queried with Revenue for a correct stat code. They only consider factory extras on cars 4 year or younger and the VRT on extras is on a sliding scale over that 4 years. Anything older than 4 years extras don't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

If your car exactly matched an existing stat code from the ROS site then it wouldn't have had to be reverted to Revenue for one. The spec or extras fitted must have made it different and it has to be queried with Revenue for a correct stat code. They only consider factory extras on cars 4 year or younger and the VRT on extras is on a sliding scale over that 4 years. Anything older than 4 years extras don't matter.

Where do I find the UK stat code to compare with an Irish one? I thought it was only cars 2 years old VRT on extras. Is it very much down to the vrt centre in question. I'm guessing some will just send her through whereas others will go round and question everything. Car specs are a minefield and with model year changes etc. How do they go back and get a price of an optional extra when all pricelists get removed online and only the latest model is listed....eg a Golf

• Advertisement

There is no UK v Irish stat code. The stat code is generated by Revenue for Irish VRT purposes based off information they get from the car's VIN. When you present the car for a VRT inspection, the NCT folks enter the VIN on the Revenue system, if it matches an existing stat code on the Revenue system then happy days. If it doesn't match an existing stat code then they need to query it with Revenue who will come back with a new VRT stat code and valuation for that car. Also the NCT folks don't get to decide whether to ask about factory extras or not, that is determined through the car's VIN. Revenue have a way of telling what extras were fitted from the factory probably through a database linked to each car manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

There is no UK v Irish stat code. The stat code is generated by Revenue for Irish VRT purposes based off information they get from the car's VIN. When you present the car for a VRT inspection, the NCT folks enter the VIN on the Revenue system, if it matches an existing stat code on the Revenue system then happy days. If it doesn't match an existing stat code then they need to query it with Revenue who will come back with a new VRT stat code and valuation for that car. Also the NCT folks don't get to decide whether to ask about factory extras or not, that is determined through the car's VIN. Revenue have a way of telling what extras were fitted from the factory probably through a database linked to each car manufacturer.

Thanks, yea I'm curious what system they use to see what astra as are on say a UK car....we could all get use out of it. So if you are importing a UK variant or trim of a car, once someone has previously imported that same model (possibly a different year), the stat code will be set up and you can pull it from the vrt calculator?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Lads, I made a call to VRT helpline and they took my details. However, I didn’t get a time or date for the appointment. Do they follow up and let me know when a slot is available or do I have to do that myself?

Bit confused now...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭deezell

bs2014 wrote: »
    Thanks, yea I'm curious what system they use to see what astra as are on say a UK car....we could all get use out of it. So if you are importing a UK variant or trim of a car, once someone has previously imported that same model (possibly a different year), the stat code will be set up and you can pull it from the vrt calculator?

In the case of Audi, you register on my.audi.com, input the vin, and all your car details are available, standard and optional equipment etc. This is also available on some free websites, but there is no one stop shop for all vehicles. The last 7 digits of your Vin are unique to a particular instance of a make, model and year, and this is used to query the manufacturer database for the production spec. This info is also on the boot sticker as a series of three character PR codes, which correspond to the options on the car. There are free PR decoder utilities if you search, but they don't tell you if the equipment was standard to the particular car or an added option. The audi site does make that distinction.
    Below are a few examples of My.audi. menu

534081.jpg

534082.jpg

Cona wrote: »
    Lads, I made a call to VRT helpline and they took my details. However, I didn’t get a time or date for the appointment. Do they follow up and let me know when a slot is available or do I have to do that myself?

Bit confused now...

They put you on a cancellation waiting list and will contact you when an appointment slot becomes available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭yannakis

Hi guys, looking to bring a car from the UK in the next few weeks. I've done this before but it's been a few years so I might have a few questions for the general audience in the coming days..

1. What providers do people use for the transfer from EUR to GBP? TransferWise and Revolut stand out on my searches so far
    2. Is any remaining MOT transferable as NCT?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

yannakis wrote: »
    1. What providers do people use for the transfer from EUR to GBP? TransferWise and Revolut stand out on my searches so far

1. I used Revolut and it was perfect. Just make sure the money is pre loaded on the account before hand.

2. MOT is not transferrable after this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

You'd need to make sure you can finish the procedure before the end of the year as no one knows what will happen after. VAT and Excise duty on top of VRT likely.

I beleive MoT is currently transferable, but that will end with Brexit potentially.

Hogzy wrote: »
    MOT is not transferrable.

Yes it is, but only until the end of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

yannakis wrote: »
    Hi guys, looking to bring a car from the UK in the next few weeks. I've done this before but it's been a few years so I might have a few questions for the general audience in the coming days..

I used Transferwise recently for a Euro to Sterling transfer, cost about 55Euro in fees approx. It landed in the UK account in seconds. You can preload it with Euro in case you have debit daily transaction card limits

Thanks guys. MOT transfer until the end of the calendar year won't help much :D :rolleyes:

I'm using a Revolut already so I'm going to also verifying my TransferWise account now to have both ready just in case. Revolut fees are about as much as 1 year of Premium so that might be the easy way to get some extra perks for 1 year on the back of this transaction. Not that I'll be travelling much in this **** show but hey.. All-inclusive costs (TransferWise+fees and Revolut+1 year Premium) seem to be pretty similar overall.

I attempted a VRT booking with fake deets just to check availability and even though there's nothing around Dublin or in other major cities, I did find some slots in other towns so fingers crossed that's done before the end of the year too. You won't hear me complain "having" to drive my new car a bit further! :)

No, if the car has 12 months MOT, and you transfer it this month, you’ll get 12 months NCT, if you wait until January you won’t be able to transfer, I didn’t mean the NCT will only be valid until the end of year

User1998 wrote: »
    No, if the car has 12 months MOT, and you transfer it this month, you’ll get 12 months NCT, if you wait until January you won’t be able to transfer, I didn’t mean the NCT will only be valid until the end of year

Oh alright, thanks for the clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jwmpayne2004

Hello y’all! longtime lurker and never posted for a long while.
    Just want to ask ,as I just bought a car for my wife
    from NI last week and will be ringing for a VRT appointment on Monday.
    Question: The car will be registered under her name,
    would it be fine if I be bringing the car in behalf of her during the VRT appointment?
    She’s a frontline staff and has no time to attend for a VRT inspection. Thanks in advance for any reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

would it be fine if I be bringing the car in behalf of her during the VRT appointment?
    She’s a frontline staff and has no time to attend for a VRT inspection. Thanks in advance for any reply.

You can, Make sure you bring a signed letter from her authorising you to VRT it for her, and her passport or driving licence.
    Also bring your own licence or passport.

• Advertisement

Proof of Her address as well, and note on the VRTVPD2 form you must declare if it was your name on the purchase invoice.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jwmpayne2004

deezell wrote: »
    Proof of Her address as well, and note on the VRTVPD2 form you must declare if it was your name on the purchase invoice.

Yes thanks all!
    The invoice from the dealer is under my name, hope it is just straight forward.

Yes thanks all!
    The invoice from the dealer is under my name, hope it is just straight forward.
    It will be, its just a revenue check that you are related, otherwise you'd be a dealer, and they'd have their beady eye on you if not TAN registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Proof of address (x2), Proof of PPS, letter from her authorizing you, her ID. Marriage cert if your surnames are different (not joking)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 byrnelo

Hi folks,

Can anyone confirm that the late VRT registration penalty is still 0.1 per cent of VRT x # days late? eg if VRT bill is 1,000 and it was 60 days late it would be a 60 euro extra fee?

There is some confusing info although the Revenue itself seems clear it is the above. Just don't want a nasty surprise.

Thanks a million!

Yep thats correct

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

byrnelo wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Can anyone confirm that the late VRT registration penalty is still 0.1 per cent of VRT x # days late? eg if VRT bill is 1,000 and it was 60 days late it would be a 60 euro extra fee?

There is some confusing info although the Revenue itself seems clear it is the above. Just don't want a nasty surprise.

Thanks a million!

Its waived until 31st December. Was late bringing a car down for VRT myself a few weeks ago and they told me the penalty was waived until the end of the year. If you go onto the FAQ page on the VRT booking site its one of the first items in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Are people still going over to England in person to buy or are you buying without seeing? Looking at buying a Superb, bit with everything going on dont want to risk going over. Any advice buying it remotely?

Its waived until 31st December. Was late bringing a car down for VRT myself a few weeks ago and they told me the penalty was waived until the end of the year. If you go onto the FAQ page on the VRT booking site its one of the first items in it.

Thanks a million. I wonder will it extend into the new year... I probably won't have the v5 until then (that's the delay).

• Advertisement

irishguy wrote: »
    Are people still going over to England in person to buy or are you buying without seeing? Looking at buying a Superb, bit with everything going on dont want to risk going over. Any advice buying it remotely?

I spent ages researching this. There are companies that will deliver for you but I couldn't get a quote of less than 500 pounds to Dublin in the last few weeks. You can pay for an RAC assessment to make sure the car is ok but all in it was around 900 euro to get it over checked and delivered.

Advertisement