Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,426 ✭✭✭User1998

Plenty of companies here will do it for €400

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jwmpayne2004

byrnelo wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Can anyone confirm that the late VRT registration penalty is still 0.1 per cent of VRT x # days late? eg if VRT bill is 1,000 and it was 60 days late it would be a 60 euro extra fee?

There is some confusing info although the Revenue itself seems clear it is the above. Just don't want a nasty surprise.

Thanks a million!

.01 percent is the VRT penalty based on what I have
    read on here. The quicker you have taxed them, the better, just saves you the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

byrnelo wrote: »
    Thanks a million. I wonder will it extend into the new year... I probably won't have the v5 until then (that's the delay).

Your guess is as good as mine, If you contact the DVLA, they are usually ok to deal with and may expedite your V5. Ive done it in the past for a friend who bought a car and forgot to take the V5. Was sorted pretty quickly once I actually spoke to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

.01 percent is the VRT penalty based on what I have
    read on here. The quicker you have taxed them, the better, just saves you the hassle.

per revenue .ie

an additional VRT charge
    (where, for example, a vehicle has not been registered within the 30-day limit) calculated
    using the formula A x P x N where A is the VRT, P is 0.1% and N is the number of days

O.1%

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jwmpayne2004

Isambard wrote: »
    per revenue .ie

an additional VRT charge
    (where, for example, a vehicle has not been registered within the 30-day limit) calculated
    using the formula A x P x N where A is the VRT, P is 0.1% and N is the number of days

O.1%

Thanks for the clarification!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

any idea how long the revenue are taking to come back to VRT when the car needs a statistical code ?

It was supposed to be 10 days , considering the current pressure it may take longer - keen to get it in before the 31Dec as I want to be able to swap the MOT to NCT

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,426 ✭✭✭User1998

30 days or so atm

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tomhs1

Hi

I bought a car in Belfast (from a reliable dealing) to bring into Ireland.
    However I have been having major problems in getting the V5C

I have contacted the DVLA a number of times who originally told me that due to Covid19 there was huge backlogs and they were only working on essential workers cars at that time.
    Only recently they have now told me that since the car is already exported they can no longer deal with me. They have told me that the country that i'm exporting the car to will have a full process to get the car through the VRT without the V5C from the UK.

I have contacted the Revenue Commissioners office a number of times and they have explained to me that they cannot and will not put the car through the VRT without the original V5C from the UK and I would be better contacting the NCT to ask them if they had any ideas.

I have contacted the NCT offices and they simply say to go back to the Revenue Commissioners office as they use their computer systems and processes.

I have even tried to request a new V5C from the DVLC using the lost V5C form but since it seems the car is already exported into Ireland the car registration is not valid on their website.

I am now in the situation where even though I have paid the full years insurance that the insurance company want to cancel my insurance since I cannot provide them with the registration certificate.

As you can see I have been going around in circles and just looking for some advise on how I should now proceed as it just seems that nobody wants to deal with my issue to help me resolve it.

Update, It now appears that the dealer in Belfast should have given me the entire logbook rather than posting the V5C back to the DVLA.

Thanks in advance for any advise given

you'll need to ship the car back to the UK, MoT it and re-register it before you can get a V5C and then bring it back and go through the process again here. {Personally I'd be banging on the car dealers desk as they should have known this.) Common problem, dedicated thread on it on here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Casati

I was looking at revenue and wanto understand if Im reading this correctly- if I import a car from UK (i.e. and have receipt/ ferry ticket to prove I bought and imported in Dec) but only get to register in January (for whatever reasons but mainly because of self isolation upon return and then Christmas holidays for VRT lads) will I have to pay VAT/ Duty etc in addition to VRT?

Below is what I see on Revenue site - seems to not focus on when the car is registered

VRT implications of importing cars from the UK
    After the transition period, if you import a vehicle from the UK, this may be treated as an import from a non-European Union (EU) country.

Used vehicles
    Vehicles brought into the State from the UK before 1 January 2021 can be registered as normal. Customers must provide documentation to prove that the vehicle was acquired prior to 1 January 2021.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭deezell

RobAMerc wrote: »
    any idea how long the revenue are taking to come back to VRT when the car needs a statistical code ?

It was supposed to be 10 days , considering the current pressure it may take longer - keen to get it in before the 31Dec as I want to be able to swap the MOT to NCT

thanks

If you go past Dec 31st, €25 worth of NCT will be the least of your worries.

tomhs1 wrote: »
    Hi......
    ........Update, It now appears that the dealer in Belfast should have given me the entire logbook rather than posting the V5C back to the DVLA.

Thanks in advance for any advise given
    Bring it back to Belfast, demand a v5c for it and leave it there until he gets one, or else trade it in with him for a properly documented car.
    Despite the thousands of posts warning of missing V5 consequences, people still get caught. On one car we bought, the dealer brought the document file back to his office just to put it in an envelope. We had went through it and were satisfied we had everything. In the time it took him to fill the envelope, he detached the main section of the v5 and left us with just the new owner slip. Copped on the ferry home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Anyone looking for VRT bookings in Sligo or Carrick On Shannon, a few dates after showing up on the booking site.

deezell wrote: »

Why?

Casati wrote: »
    Why?
    New Emissions and VRT scales and rates. Very few cars won't see an increase, some by several €K. These will apply even if you imported pre 1st Jan.

New Emissions and VRT scaled and rates. Very few cars won't see an increase, so by several €K. These will apply even if you imported pre 1st Jan.

Are you sure charges will apply if the car is imported pre Jan 1st though? If I import a car next week from England but can't get a VRT appointment until January will I have to VAT and Duty?

Are you sure charges will apply if the car is imported pre Jan 1st though? If I import a car next week from England but can't get a VRT appointment until January will I have to VAT and Duty?

No vat or duty, if you already have the car here but VRT rates were changed in the Budget, applied 1st of Jan. New emissions based on WLTP, and new VRT rates. It's all in the revenue document linked to in this thread. Increase in Nox charge too. If you have a very low emissions car, you might pay less. If it's newish car with the V5 already quoted in WLTP, you might save by waiting till Jan. as they'll VRT you on this higher number but at current rates before 1st Jan. It's entirely car age/emissions dependent, some older cars circa 2016 looking at plus 10% on vrt.

No vat or duty, if you already have the car here but VRT rates were changed in the Budget, applied 1st of Jan. New emissions based on WLTP, and new VRT rates. It's all in the revenue document linked to in this thread. Increase in Nox charge too. If you have a very low emissions car, you might pay less. If it's newish car with the V5 already quoted in WLTP, you might save by waiting till Jan. as they'll VRT you on this higher number but at current rates before 1st Jan. It's entirely car age/emissions dependent, some older cars circa 2016 looking at plus 10% on vrt.

Its the Duty and VAT piece Im most interested in - looking at potentially bringing in a van this year so VRT isn't an issue but I don't want to pay Duty 10% plus VAT 21% on top if I can't get a VRT appointment.

Its the Duty and VAT piece Im most interested in - looking at potentially bringing in a van this year so VRT isn't an issue but I don't want to pay Duty 10% plus VAT 21% on top if I can't get a VRT appointment.
    I see, I assumed it was a private car, not a commercial as you were talking NCT. Can you exchange a van Mot for a Doe cert? Even if taxed at private c.c. based rates, you still need to do an annual Doe, now known as a CVRT test.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

imo they will have to adjust the vrt rates as the amount collected will fall off very sharply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭tech

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭kingstevii

Is there any chance that vat won't be charged if they strike a deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

but the car was presented to them before the 31 of December and the hold up is their fault.

I cannot be expected to pay the new fees when I brought the car into Ireland in 2020 and brought it for inspection in 2020 and within 30 days

How can they charge me future prices ??

My issue with the MOT is that it wont be transferable after the 31st - no matter what deal is done as UK will be outside the EU

RobAMerc wrote: »
    but the car was presented to them before the 31 of December and the hold up is their fault.

I cannot be expected to pay the new fees when I brought the car into Ireland in 2020 and brought it for inspection in 2020 and within 30 days

How can they charge me future prices ??

My issue with the MOT is that it wont be transferable after the 31st - no matter what deal is done as UK will be outside the EU

The most that might be left on the 1 year Mot is 10-11 months. An Irish NCT for 2 years costs €2.25 a month, so it's a pittance of a saving.

kingstevii wrote: »
    Is there any chance that vat won't be charged if they strike a deal?

Highly unlikely but anything is possible. Looks like free trade agreement is the primary piece in focus so that would concern only duty

Highly unlikely but anything is possible. Looks like free trade agreement is the primary piece in focus so that would concern only duty

Dammit, was looking to buy, but think I've left it too late now..

What cars will come down in value? Eyeing up a1 litre 2018 civic

many of the hardliners seem to want a hard Brexit. Anything less to them won't really be like they've left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

kingstevii wrote: »
    What cars will come down in value? Eyeing up a1 litre 2018 civic

Car prices will go up in value when the UK option of buying is switched off for private buyers.
    Dealers back to charging what the like again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

Will bringing in a car from the North be the same as bring from the UK post brexit? From what I've seen on the news and heard on radio, the North will have an agreement with Europe regarding trade, so cars the originate from the North, ie, Northern address on the logbook, Northern Reg, will they be exempt form taxes?

Advertisement