Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭deezell

kingstevii wrote: »
    What cars will come down in value? Eyeing up a1 litre 2018 civic

Current 114 gm emissions, 17% VRT, it's WLTP emissions will rise to 139gm, but under the new tables that's 18% VRT, so a 1% increase or about €200. VAT and duty the unknown, but maybe there will be some arrangement about these via the North. Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭richieffff

What's the current situation like for coming back to pay the VRT figure given, do you need a second appointment to pay or can you just show up and pay it fully?

My bank don't do bank drafts and the limit between my two cards isn't high enough to cover the VRT

richieffff wrote: »
    What's the current situation like for coming back to pay the VRT figure given, do you need a second appointment to pay or can you just show up and pay it fully?

My bank don't do bank drafts and the limit between my two cards isn't high enough to cover the VRT

Have you got Revolut? No limit, if you have the money moved there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭richieffff

deezell wrote: »
    Have you got Revolut? No limit, if you have the money moved there.

I do have Revolut, I thought they had a 5k limit, happy days if it's unlimited

richieffff wrote: »
    I do have Revolut, I thought they had a 5k limit, happy days if it's unlimited
    Very high limit, paid £12K at a uk dealers using chip and pin machine Transaction verified in seconds. Like paying for petrol. I'm sure it's the same here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I think they have a limit though iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tomhs1

Bring it back to Belfast, demand a v5c for it and leave it there until he gets one, or else trade it in with him for a properly documented car.
    Despite the thousands of posts warning of missing V5 consequences, people still get caught. On one car we bought, the dealer brought the document file back to his office just to put it in an envelope. We had went through it and were satisfied we had everything. In the time it took him to fill the envelope, he detached the main section of the v5 and left us with just the new owner slip. Copped on the ferry home.
    Yeah its the first time I have bought a car since living in Ireland. Any time I had bought a car I lived in Belfast, so I was expecting the very reliable car dealer to know what they were doing. I will be bringing the car back to Belfast once all these lockdowns are relaxed again.
    Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tomhs1

Isambard wrote: »
    you'll need to ship the car back to the UK, MoT it and re-register it before you can get a V5C and then bring it back and go through the process again here. {Personally I'd be banging on the car dealers desk as they should have known this.) Common problem, dedicated thread on it on here
    Thanks for the help, Once this current lockdown is over i'm going to bring the car back to Belfast and see if I can get the issue worked out with the dealer themselves. and if not i'll have to put it through the MOT again to re-register it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Casati

kingstevii wrote: »
    What cars will come down in value? Eyeing up a1 litre 2018 civic

Civic's are very good value in the U.K. and are sought after here on the used market so if you are keen I'd be trying to get one this month

• Registered Users Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Hi ,looking for some advice.
    Thinking of importing a 2 year old Focus.Im just wondering does the UK warranty carry over to Ireland or is it worthless once I import?

If its still valid ,is there anything I need to do like only service in Ford dealership etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

yabadabado wrote: »
    Hi ,looking for some advice.
    Thinking of importing a 2 year old Focus.Im just wondering does the UK warranty carry over to Ireland or is it worthless once I import?

If its still valid ,is there anything I need to do like only service in Ford dealership etc

Checking the ford extended warranty terms via this link it seems that the warranty is applicable in the "Geographic Area" which Ireland is a part of. Not sure if those warranty terms applies to you though. Better off asking the dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,224 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The first 2 years are required to be valid EU wide, any subsequent warranty after that is down to the specific car manufacturer and may be limited to the dealer network specific in the country of original registration. So year 3 or after might only be valid in the UK. You would have to check with Ford Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Thanks folks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Hi folks,

Any advice on best times to ring to try and get a cancellation or when new slots get released? I'm on a "priority call back list" or something but really want to get the car in this side of Christmas.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jwmpayne2004

commited wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Any advice on best times to ring to try and get a cancellation or when new slots get released? I'm on a "priority call back list" or something but really want to get the car in this side of Christmas.

Thanks
    Hi,
    Ring them now and ask for Galway ,there are a few
    dates from 14th-18th of December. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Hi,
    Ring them now and ask for Galway ,there are a few
    dates from 14th-18th of December. Hope this helps.

Thanks for this - ideally I'm hoping for something in Dublin due to Covid restrictions (and I don't know if the car would make it to Galway :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Any word on what things are going to look like come January?

Are we looking at VAT and Customs charges regardless of vehicle age and mileage?

myshirt wrote: »

Are we looking at VAT and Customs charges regardless of vehicle age and mileage?

Damn, broke my crystal ball last week. Just have to wait and see now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

myshirt wrote: »

vehicle age and mileage won't be a consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭yannakis

TransferWise question: how do we go about it timing-wise.

Would you do the transfer while you are at the dealer picking up the car? Or would you do it a day or two in advance? Also, how long does it take for my Euros to appear in a GBP account (as a rule of thumb)?

• Advertisement

Two weeks now since my VRT appointment and im still waiting on a text from revenue to tell me how much I owe. Im going to be pretty pissed off if this drags into 2021 and I have to pay the higher rates. The car has been in Ireland since late october and I booked the NCT the day I arrived in, had to wait 3 weeks for an appointment and now this.

My VRT is due to go up by 1,000 euro if im on the 2021 rates :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭User1998

Have you factored in that your car will be a year older and the OMSP will have decreased?

Damn, broke my crystal ball last week. Just have to wait and see now.

Ah come on man, didn't mean it like that. You see all these headlines of "The deal is 90% of the way there" and the sticking points are on fishing and other items.

I'm not in the trade. I'm simply wondering what those in the trade are seeing and what they are being advised. The department are briefing impacted sectors frequently for information that can be cascaded down. When it comes to the motor trade it's not very exciting stuff so is not getting the coverage other parts of this are.

User1998 wrote: »
    Have you factored in that your car will be a year older and the OMSP will have decreased?

Yup, took the difference between my current year and last years OMSP and then applied the new VRT rate to that. Its 850euro more expensive.

Hogzy wrote: »
    Yup, took the difference between my current year and last years OMSP and then applied the new VRT rate to that. Its 850euro more expensive.

I think you'd be ok on appeal. The vrt guys can only deal on the day with whats the computer says, but their delays or errors which cost you can be dealt wirh later.

I think you'd be ok on appeal. The vrt guys can only deal on the day with whats the computer says, but their delays or errors which cost you can be dealt wirh later.

Hopefully youre right!

Isambard wrote: »
    vehicle age and mileage won't be a consideration.

Currently vat is due on a car that is less than 6 months old, or has less than about 6/7 km. Outside that, no vat due, thank god. Only VRT.

In a no deal scenario, WTO applies, meaning all imports will be hit with vat at the standard rate, VRT as normal, and customs charges of 10%.

That's an extra 30% on the car potentially, all in the stroke of a pen.

Edit: When I say only VRT, I say it through gritted teeth, as it's a bullsh't tax in the first place.

Hopefully youre right!

He is right. You'll be grand. The date on your invoice is 2020. Whatever happens, it'll all work out right in the end. May be a bit of messing and a bit of discomfort as everyone gets to grips with it, but you imported in 2020 and that's the key. They can't lamp you with an extra G.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

yannakis wrote: »
    TransferWise question: how do we go about it timing-wise.

Would you do the transfer while you are at the dealer picking up the car? Or would you do it a day or two in advance? Also, how long does it take for my Euros to appear in a GBP account (as a rule of thumb)?

Took my transaction seconds, I preloaded it with Euro in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

Two weeks now since my VRT appointment and im still waiting on a text from revenue to tell me how much I owe. Im going to be pretty pissed off if this drags into 2021 and I have to pay the higher rates. The car has been in Ireland since late october and I booked the NCT the day I arrived in, had to wait 3 weeks for an appointment and now this.

My VRT is due to go up by 1,000 euro if im on the 2021 rates :mad:

I was waiting for them to give me my quote and ended up calling them after 2/3 weeks. They told me over the phone what I owed and said the text would be sent out a few days later. So, might be worth giving them a call

Advertisement