Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

How long does Revolut take to transfer. I transferred my money from Euro to Sterling and transferred it Wednesday morning to the dealers bank account. Dealer saying they haven’t received it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭deezell

masit wrote: »
    How long does Revolut take to transfer. I transferred my money from Euro to Sterling and transferred it Wednesday morning to the dealers bank account. Dealer saying they haven’t received it yet?
    It takes 5 minutes. You should have got a notification a few minutes after you submitted the transfer to say it was completed, (and irreversible). That notification means it has electronically reached the account no. you used to transfer, hopefully the correct one. Get in to Revolut support or webchat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Hogzy wrote: »
    Two weeks now since my VRT appointment and im still waiting on a text from revenue to tell me how much I owe. Im going to be pretty pissed off if this drags into 2021 and I have to pay the higher rates. The car has been in Ireland since late october and I booked the NCT the day I arrived in, had to wait 3 weeks for an appointment and now this.

My VRT is due to go up by 1,000 euro if im on the 2021 rates :mad:

Call them (The VRT line at Revenue). That can sometimes jog things along.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

garo wrote: »
    Call them (The VRT line at Revenue). That can sometimes jog things along.

Called revenue there. Was on hold for quite a while so the volume must be huge. They told me it could be another two week. When I asked about the 2021 rates having a huge impact on my VRT quote she told me to raise the issue in a query on the Revenue Online website.

I have paid VRT on 3 cars in the last 10 years (this one being the 4th) and iv never had so much hassle paying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭User1998

Hogzy wrote: »
    Called revenue there. Was on hold for quite a while so the volume must be huge. They told me it could be another two week. When I asked about the 2021 rates having a huge impact on my VRT quote she told me to raise the issue in a query on the Revenue Online website.

I have paid VRT on 3 cars in the last 10 years (this one being the 4th) and iv never had so much hassle paying it.

Is it really a hassle tho? You just go to your VRT appointment and wait patiently until they text you? Instead of it taking a week it’s taking 4 weeks. Mine is delayed too but won’t end up costing me much more if its not ready by new year. I’m sorry yours may end up costing you more but the reason there is such a delay is because of people like you (and me, and many others in this thread) desperately importing before the year ends. Just forget about it and wait until they text you? You’ll probably hear back before the end of the year? Its only the 4th of December

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

User1998 wrote: »
    Is it really a hassle tho? You just go to your VRT appointment and wait patiently until they text you? Instead of it taking a week it’s taking 4 weeks. Mine is delayed too but won’t end up costing me much more if its not ready by new year. I’m sorry yours may end up costing you more but the reason there is such a delay is because of people like you (and me, and many others in this thread) desperately importing before the year ends. Just forget about it and wait until they text you? You’ll probably hear back before the end of the year? Its only the 4th of December

Yeah i wouldnt be in a rush either. Also, delay your payment as much as you can. If you pay VRT in mid December, you owe road tax for the full month vs waiting (if possible) until the 1st January where youd only be liable for tax from January on

• Registered Users Posts: 73,453 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

marcos_94 wrote: »
    Yeah i wouldnt be in a rush either. Also, delay your payment as much as you can. If you pay VRT in mid December, you owe road tax for the full month vs waiting (if possible) until the 1st January where youd only be liable for tax from January on

You can declare a newly registered car off the road if you want.

Average months tax is €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You can declare a newly registered car off the road if you want.

Average months tax is €20.

For me a months tax is about 150 so yeah thats a couple of tanks of petrol while still being able to drive the car. I kept it on UK plates as long as I could. What I meant in my above comment is you have a certain amount of time to pay VRT after bringing it for VRT inspection (iirc its 30 days from inspection). Theres no need to pay it immediately when you could save yourself a bit and wait for the start of the next calendar month

marcos_94 wrote: »
    For me a months tax is about 150 so yeah thats a couple of tanks of petrol while still being able to drive the car. I kept it on UK plates as long as I could. What I meant in my above comment is you have a certain amount of time to pay VRT after bringing it for VRT inspection (iirc its 30 days from inspection). Theres no need to pay it immediately when you could save yourself a bit and wait for the start of the next calendar month
    You can save road tax by delaying inspection into the next month, but you cant delay road tax by delaying vrt payment once inspection is done, the reg number is allocated at that point and date if reg is set.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

deezell wrote: »
    It takes 5 minutes. You should have got a notification a few minutes after you submitted the transfer to say it was completed, (and irreversible). That notification means it has electronically reached the account no. you used to transfer, hopefully the correct one. Get in to Revolut support or webchat.

It’s actually did go through. With the North gone onto lockdown, the salesman is at home so he was back and forth to whoever was in the showroom. They eventually found it in their bank account. I was just hoping with revolut moving accounts to Lithuanian that it didn’t effect my transaction. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭richieffff

Very high limit, paid £12K at a uk dealers using chip and pin machine Transaction verified in seconds. Like paying for petrol. I'm sure it's the same here.

Paid for my VRT today with my Revolut, works for at least €8k transactions anyway. Thanks Deezell

• Registered Users Posts: 27 wrcarter

Does anyone know if the NOx charge applies to classics, ie cars over 30 years old?

Thinking about bringing in something before the end of the year but I could be a bit late.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

wrcarter wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the NOx charge applies to classics, ie cars over 30 years old?

Thinking about bringing in something before the end of the year but I could be a bit late.

no, its a 200E flat fee

no, its a 200E flat fee

Cheers, so that’s 200 vrt and 200 NOx. It’s a diesel so I don’t want a €4k+ fee

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

wrcarter wrote: »
    Cheers, so that’s 200 vrt and 200 NOx. It’s a diesel so I don’t want a €4k+ fee

No. 200 VRT only

no nox. It's over 30.

macplaxton wrote: »
    No. 200 VRT only

no nox. It's over 30.

Perfect. Thanks. That’s what I initially thought but was getting conflicting info

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Just make sure it 100% is over 30. It makes at least €5.4k difference being a diesel.

Just make sure it 100% is over 30. It makes at least €5.4k difference being a diesel.

Yea it’s 31.5 years old. Well if everything goes ok. Awaiting more info. Covid makes the whole process more awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

is there any changes to classics next year do ya know? or it staying as 200?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

LillySV wrote: »
    is there any changes to classics next year do ya know? or it staying as 200?

no one knows but it's quite likely VAT and Excise duty will be payable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Looking at importing a 2.0 skoda superb. Revenue currently say its going to cost;
    3,353 VRT - 115 CO2 @ 17%
    330 NOx - @ 0.062
    3,683 Total

Looks like I will have to do it under the 2021 rules, but its not clear what they are and how much ill have to pay (Assuming I own & import it in 2020)

Anyone know what ill have to pay in 2021?

irishguy wrote: »
    Looking at importing a 2.0 skoda superb. Revenue currently say its going to cost;
    3,353 VRT - 115 CO2 @ 17%
    330 NOx - @ 0.062
    3,683 Total

Looks like I will have to do it under the 2021 rules, but its not clear what they are and how much ill have to pay (Assuming I own & import it in 2020)

Anyone know what ill have to pay in 2021?

Your CO2 is 144 in WLTP, your vrt jumps from 17% to 19.5%, so about €500 more, but OMSP might drop a bit in January. Your Nox rises to €464 also

Your CO2 is 144 in WLTP, your vrt jumps from 17% to 19.5%, so about €500 more, but OMSP might drop a bit in January. Your Nox rises to €464 also

Thats a big enough increase. I rang revenue and they weren't able to provide an answer and ncts have basically said I wont get a booking in 2020 as they are mental...

Thats excluding brexit issues around duty/VAT, which again revenue are unable to answer...

So what are people doing with imports at the moment is it likely to get a cancelled appointment?

--Edit
    I recalculated it adding a year to the age (from 2016 to 2015) of the car and as you said the OMSP went from €19727 to €17299 and VRT + NOX went down by €413. So It would appear I would only be paying €221 if I had to do it in Jan, which isn't too bad, assuming my calculation is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Personally I am on a cancellation list for a VRT appointment for somewhere in Munster , 3 weeks and counting - I keep checking the site daily to see what pops up. Saw a couple appear for Galway for the 30th Dec if anyone is looking in that area...

**Update - a heap became available literally just now in Cork so I grabbed one for Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭damemcd

The revenue website seems to indicate that if you can bring it in in 2020 and prove this with shipping invoices etc you would be vrted at 2020 rates as long as you have the proof.........which would seem reasonable as they (or the nct) cant offer slots in December.Is this far of the mark...

Personally I am on a cancellation list for a VRT appointment for somewhere in Munster , 3 weeks and counting - I keep checking the site daily to see what pops up. Saw a couple appear for Galway for the 30th Dec is anyway is looking in that area...

**Update - a heap became available literally just now in Cork so I grabbed one for Friday

Thanks just got a cancellation in Galway on new years eve, obviously VRTing your car isn't how people like spending NYE :)
    damemcd wrote:
    The revenue website seems to indicate that if you can bring it in in 2020 and prove this with shipping invoices etc you would be vrted at 2020 rates as long as you have the proof.........which would seem reasonable as they (or the nct) cant offer slots in December.Is this far of the mark...
    This is the only official revenue information I can see around it. So if you own and import it in 2020 then you wont have to pay duty/VAT, if that's what is agreed in the Brexit trade deal/no deal, but from speaking to the VRT department in the Revenue this morning. The actual VRT rules applied are determined on the date of your test so if its in 2021 you pay the higher VRT&NOX mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭damemcd

Thanks, but if they cant provide the test (because of their lack of capacity/service) surely thats a whole load of b***** that youre penalised ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Anyone have an idea how long it takes revenue to come back with the quote when they didn't have the stat code for the vehicle? Had an apt last week and no word from them yet. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,936 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

irishguy wrote: »
    Thanks just got a cancellation in Galway on new years eve, obviously VRTing your car isn't how people like spending NYE :)

This is the only official revenue information I can see around it. So if you own and import it in 2020 then you wont have to pay duty/VAT, if that's what is agreed in the Brexit trade deal/no deal, but from speaking to the VRT department in the Revenue this morning. The actual VRT rules applied are determined on the date of your test so if its in 2021 you pay the higher VRT&NOX mentioned above.

This is correct, since VAT and duties are due at the point of import. Once the car is in the country, vat and duties are not due.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,936 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Anyone have an idea how long it takes revenue to come back with the quote when they didn't have the stat code for the vehicle? Had an apt last week and no word from them yet. Thanks
    2-3 weeks normally. Could be longer with the recent backlogs.
    I've had this twice ('85 Chevrolet Suburban and 2016 Tesla) and in both cases was between 2 and 3 weeks.

Advertisement