Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭deezell

irishguy wrote: »
    Thats a big enough increase. I rang revenue and they weren't able to provide an answer and ncts have basically said I wont get a booking in 2020 as they are mental...

Thats excluding brexit issues around duty/VAT, which again revenue are unable to answer...

So what are people doing with imports at the moment is it likely to get a cancelled appointment?

--Edit
    I recalculated it adding a year to the age (from 2016 to 2015) of the car and as you said the OMSP went from €19727 to €17299 and VRT + NOX went down by €413. So It would appear I would only be paying €221 if I had to do it in Jan, which isn't too bad, assuming my calculation is correct.

Of course the car wont be a year older, theres a monthly adjustment which adjusts the OMSP depending on month of reg.. Changing to 2015, you might want to the reg to December, so youre only adding a few months to its age, then see what the OMSP is. Sometimes it seems to make a trivial difference

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Anyone have an idea how long it takes revenue to come back with the quote when they didn't have the stat code for the vehicle? Had an apt last week and no word from them yet. Thanks

Im waiting 16 days now. I was told by the NCT people that it would be 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Just got an appointment for the 4th January. Does this mean if it go on this day I could be liable for VaT?

Can someone please help me clarify the amount of VRT I will need to pay in 2021:

Car is Audi A6 ultra. Co2 is 114g. In the new rules this puts it into band 9 which is 14.25%. Old rules in 2020 the band is 17%...The OMSP is currently listed as 26555. So if I’m reading correct in Jan 21 my VRT will be €3850+ nox 280€ Total 4130

Is this right? If so this would be cheaper than if I VrT in December 2020?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Cona wrote: »
    Just got an appointment for the 4th January. Does this mean if it go on this day I could be liable for VaT?

No. Definitely not, once you have invoice dated around now, you are fine. And provided its not a new means of transport and you didn’t pay VAT in U.K. I double checked with revenue to make sure, as I had a car collected today.

• Advertisement

Can someone please help me clarify the amount of VRT I will need to pay in 2021:

Car is Audi A6 ultra. Co2 is 114g. In the new rules this puts it into band 9 which is 14.25%. Old rules in 2020 the band is 17%...The OMSP is currently listed as 26555. So if I’m reading correct in Jan 21 my VRT will be €3850+ nox 280€ Total 4130

If the band rate is cheaper, logic would say waiting until January is better. Don’t forget car is a year older and the OMSP should fall in January.

Don’t forget car will be assessed on WLTP from Jan 1. So just maker sure you are in correct bands...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

No I don't think you have that right.

You need to apply this equation to your co2 figure first...

Diesel: y = x(1.1405)+12.858

This puts you in the 19.5% bracket.

This is assuming the car is diesel and the co2 of 114 is from the NEDC standard of testing.

It's all explained here

https://www.vrt.ie/faq/budget-2021-vehicle-registration-tax/

vintagevrs wrote: »
    No I don't think you have that right.

You need to apply this equation to your co2 figure first...

Diesel: y = x(1.1405)+12.858

This puts you in the 19.5% bracket.

This is assuming the car is diesel and the co2 of 114 is from the NEDC standard of testing.

It's all explained here

https://www.vrt.ie/faq/budget-2021-vehicle-registration-tax/

Thank you for replying. I did indeed make a balls of that calculation. So now that I know it will be 19.5% of the Current OMSP, is there anyway to find out what the OMSP might be in Jan 2021?

Also, is there any hope in getting a cancellation or some other appointment before Dec 31? I rang over 2 weeks ago and only got an appointment now today for Jan 4th

• Advertisement

Thank you for replying. I did indeed make a balls of that calculation. So now that I know it will be 19.5% of the Current OMSP, is there anyway to find out what the OMSP might be in Jan 2021?

Logic says OMSP falls.....

Brewster wrote: »
    Logic says OMSP falls.....

Gotcha but Id say im going to incur an extra 1000euro at the new rates. Depending on what the OMSP comes down too

No worries. Check for an apt in other centres. I drove to a different county last week to ensure a December apt, because new rate on the car I brought in is going up too so wanted to be sure. Was worth the bit of a drive for peace of mind. I'm not sure how quickly the omsp will change. What you could do is keep changing the month/year of reg and seeing how that impacts your omsp. I presume it is very block like and rule driven and you might be able to reverse engineer the logic....assuming there is any.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,209 ✭✭✭✭Esel

LillySV wrote: »
    is there any changes to classics next year do ya know? or it staying as 200?

This link was posted previously:

https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-traders-and-agents/brexit/brexit-for-individuals/importing-a-vehicle-from-great-britain-gb-or-northern-ireland.aspx

Not your ornery onager

[HTML][/HTML]
    Gotcha but Id say im going to incur an extra 1000euro at the new rates. Depending on what the OMSP comes down too

Look at the OMSP of car in 2020 and 2019, or two years close to the year of your car. In my experience, the price drop from 2020 into 2021 will be a similar order of magnitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Hi folks, regarding proof of entry to the state for an NI car, is the private sale receipt enough?

commited wrote: »
    Hi folks, regarding proof of entry to the state for an NI car, is the private sale receipt enough?

A handwritten note saying you bought it from the seller on such a date for X amount is fine. They asked me to write this out in the vrt centre last week and sign in front of them.

Incorrect. You must adjust the old co2 to WLTP co2 in 2021. for Diesel it's old co2 by 1.1405, plus an extra 12.858 mg, giving about 143mg for your car, which is 19.5% on the new tables. Your VRT will be €5178, your Nox (56mg by €5 is €280), rises to 40mg by €5 plus the remaining 16mg by €15, new Nox of €440, a grand total of €5618

Page 15 and 16
    http://budget.gov.ie/Budgets/2021/Documents/Budget/BUDGET%2021_Tax%20Policy%20Changes.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 21,936 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You will not be liable for VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 11 davemck

Hey all,

I've just bought a car in the north today and can't seem to get a VRT appointment until January. I've searched and read a good part of this thread and can't find any help. I've made an appointment and am checking and phoning every few hours for a cancellation in December. The lady on the phone in the NCTS said that there is no instruction in relation to a January appointment and that I could and likely would be charged under the new regulations? this will change the calculations from 19% to 32%.
    I've looked everywhere for an instruction/regulation/letter/website pointing out that the date for VRT calculation is the the date of import and not the date of appointment but I can't find it solidly written anywhere, in fact the NCT states that until 31DEC2020 that the date of presentation will be used?
    Any help appreciated please...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭User1998

What car is it that’s going from 19% to 32%? And what Co2 does it state on the logbook?

Its a Seat Alhambra, CO2 is 132 on the but the WLTP is 189. 132 is 19% and 189 in the 2021 calculations is 31%. eek.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭User1998

Diesel 132(1.1405)+12.855 = 163

Petrol 132(0.9227)+34.554 = 156

?

Still nasty enough at 26% if a diesel, about a third more VRT. Whats the Nox on that? Dont forget its gone up also.

User1998 wrote: »
    Diesel 132(1.1405)+12.855 = 163

Petrol 132(0.9227)+34.554 = 156

?
    If the WLTP is on the V5, which it is since Jan 2017, then it takes that value?

Nox is 0.04

davemck wrote: »
    Hey all,

I've just bought a car in the north today and can't seem to get a VRT appointment until January. I've searched and read a good part of this thread and can't find any help. I've made an appointment and am checking and phoning every few hours for a cancellation in December. The lady on the phone in the NCTS said that there is no instruction in relation to a January appointment and that I could and likely would be charged under the new regulations? this will change the calculations from 19% to 32%.
    I've looked everywhere for an instruction/regulation/letter/website pointing out that the date for VRT calculation is the the date of import and not the date of appointment but I can't find it solidly written anywhere, in fact the NCT states that until 31DEC2020 that the date of presentation will be used?

Hey, if you read back to yesterday you would see my posts on the same topic. I went onto the website today and clicked into every testing center in the country and found a slot on Dec 23 in Galway, so I changed to that.

Then later on I found another slot for next week in a center closer to me me. So I would advise you to keep checking the website. There will have to be a cancellation at some point over the next few days, just need to time it right...

Hey, if you read back to yesterday you would see my posts on the same topic. I went onto the website today and clicked into every testing center in the country and found a slot on Dec 23 in Galway, so I changed to that.

Then later on I found another slot for next week in a center closer to me me. So I would advise you to keep checking the website. There will have to be a cancellation at some point over the next few days, just need to time it right...

LOL

I've just booked 30 mins ago for 1800 on 23DEC20 in Galway. Obviously got your spot!

No answer to the original problem but at least I'm sorted. I'll keep an eye out for a booking closer to me and will post here if I find one so somebody here can look for the 23dec in Galway spot. :D

If the WLTP is on the V5, which it is since Jan 2017, then it takes that value?

Nox is 0.04

It has both values on the V5? You'll have to ask revenue/nct which one, they will have been instructed by now. As you have proof of 2020 import, you can appeal back to 2020 rules as no inspection date was available within the year, but if you've only just applied, a date within 30 days satisfies their obligation while dropping you in it.

Great stuff. Could be a big difference in price, will be worth it! I hope they don’t make you go back for a 2nd visit on car extras!! Do they still do this? Been a few years since I’ve been in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 P_Man

Hey all,

I'm in the exact same situation. Cant get an appointment until Jan. It would be great to know if the VRT will apply from date of purchase or date of appointment.

Advertisement