Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 SilverMan101

I have the full V5 form but it's in my brothers name , just the export sectioned has been sent off . The car is mine now so the ownership is going to be transferred over anyway, or am I just over complicating it for myself ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭User1998

You need a dated invoice from your brother for the car. Don’t change the ownership officially. You need to send the V5 to the DVLA to do that and you need the V5 for the VRT appointment. They won’t send the updated V5 to an address in Ireland, and even if they did you wouldn’t have it in time for the VRT appointment and you will have an extra owner on the car

• Registered Users Posts: 51,220 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I have the full V5 form but it's in my brothers name , just the export sectioned has been sent off . The car is mine now so the ownership is going to be transferred over anyway, or am I just over complicating it for myself ?

Thanks

The Irish authorities here don't care who the last or current UK registered owner is so your just adding unnecessary complication and an extra owner to the car. They require the full V5C to get details about the car such as UK registration, VIN, Co2 and NoX rating, etc when transferring it to Irish plates. You will also need a dated invoice from the seller (your brother) along with a ferry ticket receipt to prove when the car came into the country if from the UK mainland.

I get what yous mean now. It doesn't matter what the name is on the V5 . So just fill out the VRTVPD2 and get an invoice from my brother , and obviously the other listed documents too . I just confused myself reading too many threads.

Thanks for the info lads��

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

Three most important things to have, the V5, V5 and V5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,560 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Hey all, finally got word the V5 is at my cousin's home and they'll be coming over with it on the weekend. Quick question about Question 10. on this form

https://www.ncts.ie/media/1003/vrtformfinal-version.pdf

What the hell do I put there, the explainer text on the second page makes zero sense to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Hey all, finally got word the V5 is at my cousin's home and they'll be coming over with it on the weekend. Quick question about Question 10. on this form

What the hell do I put there, the explainer text on the second page makes zero sense to me?

I don’t bother filling that out. Have imported loads of cars and never done it once. It could well be on the V5 if you really wanted to fill it in

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭peneau

I left it blank also.

Glad it's not just me so :pac:, thanks all.

Glad it's not just me so :pac:, thanks all.

Just for clarity, the eu type approval is a number like this,
    e.g. e13*2001/116*0260
    Usually on the V5, you'll see it also on Irish reg. certs. Its implicit if the vehicle was already registered in an EU country, though if it was originally say a Jap import in UK, you would need that number on V5 as revenue here might not have it's type on record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭GodlikeRed

Hi Folks,

What the word on buying from NI now that the there are extra charges on top of VRT. Am looking to buy something in the €10-12k range ones all costs are taken account of.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭crystalbrite

GodlikeRed wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

What the word on buying from NI now that the there are extra charges on top of VRT. Am looking to buy something in the €10-12k range ones all costs are taken account of.

thanks

Are you looking for a petrol or diesel?

The new Nox charges are punishing old diesel engines. Diesel cars in the €10-12k are more likely to be an old Diesel engine so you might get hit with a high Nox tax.
    Newer Diesel engines have a EURO6 engine and the Nox can be <100e. But there are cases where it can be several 100e still so you still need to look this up for each individual car.

The max Nox on petrol engines they can charge is 600e but often it's much lower than this.

There is no VAT being charged until 2021 at least.

The other option then is hybrids and electric cars. There's a big VRT saving on these due to a tax incentive e.g. VRT ~4000e for 1.4L TFSI A4 S-line 2016 vs ~750e for 2L BMW 330e 2016 plug in electric hybrid.

VRT cost on a 06 Skoda Octavia VRS . Revenue VRT calculator giving me an estimate of €4,384 including NOx and Co2 charges.

NOx value is 0.211g/km.

Is this accurate ? Probably best to scrap the car if so .

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Waste of time registering old diesels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

NOx has finally been added to the VRT calculator (about time) unfortunately doesn't give a breakdown of the total amount on the final quote, which is a nuisance, as you have to enter the NOx yourself, so make sure you're choosing the correct figure ( section V. 3 on the V5)

VRT cost on a 06 Skoda Octavia VRS . Revenue VRT calculator giving me an estimate of €4,384 including NOx and Co2 charges.

NOx value is 0.211g/km.

Is this accurate ? Probably best to scrap the car if so .

the NOx alone on that is €3875..

Sure the car is only worth half of that, it's a joke. I can either scrap it or bring it back to the UK I suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭peneau

You may find the nox value of your vehicle listed in this excel document from the Revenue website

https://revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/documents/vrt/nox-values.xlsx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭monseiur

deezell wrote: »
    Yes VRT, No Nox, provided he is vat registered, or signed off by employer as trade use, Otherwise it's private, nox charge, and the worst part, road tax calculated on cc, not emissions.

Thanks Deezell for reply, (just catching up now due to laptop problems:mad:)
    This lad is a part time farmer and a PAYE worker, I guess he'll have no problems getting the van commercially taxed as it's for farm use - It's the NoX charges he's concerned about now (as you have confirmed that the VRT is €200.00)
    If I'm reading your reply correctly, is it the case that if he qualifies for commercial tax etc. he won't have to pay NoX charges ?
    He has no problem paying say €300 to €400 but a huge bill say double that would make the van uneconomical to import. It seems that VW are the most expensive make across the pond.
    Thanks. M.

monseiur wrote: »
    This lad is a part time farmer and a PAYE worker, I guess he'll have no problems getting the van commercially taxed as it's for farm use - It's the NoX charges he's concerned about now (as you have confirmed that the VRT is €200.00)
    If I'm reading your reply correctly, is it the case that if he qualifies for commercial tax etc. he won't have to pay NoX charges ?
    He has no problem paying say €300 to €400 but a huge bill say double that would make the van uneconomical to import. It seems that VW are the most expensive make across the pond.
    Thanks. M.

Unless I'm mistaken, Nox is on private cars only. Lads here were saying it's much tighter to get commercial status for a van if you're not VAT reg'd. It was easy enough in the 90s if you had 10 acres and were paye working, you just put down farm use. Haven't had a van for 13 years now, so I couldn't say how tricky it might be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yep private cars and crewcabs

Thanks. M.

NOx is only payable on Category A vehicles. If your friends vehicle is a standard 2/3 seater van he will only pay vrt of 200euro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭monseiur

Thanks. M.

Thanks all, greatly appreciated

M.

Hi all, hopefully the last time I post here, I just receieved my V5c, if you look at the attached picture shoudld this bit have been filled out by the dealership or it is ok for me to fill it out and send it back to the DVLA (via registered post of course)? Will I need this bit for my VRT appointment (which is this Saturday)?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Debub

Hi all, hopefully the last time I post here, I just receieved my V5c, if you look at the attached picture shoudld this bit have been filled out by the dealership or it is ok for me to fill it out and send it back to the DVLA (via registered post of course)? Will I need this bit for my VRT appointment (which is this Saturday)?

Thanks!

You don't need to so anything on that - just give the whole thing over when you are getting your VRT done (no need to send that portion to the DVLA)

Debub wrote: »
    You don't need to so anything on that - just give the whole thing over when you are getting your VRT done (no need to send that portion to the DVLA)
    Oh ok, when I left the dealership they forced me to set up a direct debit to tax the vehicle, I'm guessing then when I register it in Ireland I can cancel that direct debit, they won't come knocking at my cousins door will they (I don't want anything bad to happen to them i.e. get audited or something like that).

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Debub

Oh ok, when I left the dealership they forced me to set up a direct debit to tax the vehicle, I'm guessing then when I register it in Ireland I can cancel that direct debit, they won't come knocking at my cousins door will they (I don't want anything bad to happen to them i.e. get audited or something like that).

You should cancel the DD straight away (as soon as you have left UK shores and the car is in Ireland) - you don't need to pay UK road tax if you are not on UK roads, you will be paying Ireland road tax once the VRT is done

Debub wrote: »
    You should cancel the DD straight away (as soon as you have left UK shores and the car is in Ireland) - you don't need to pay UK road tax if you are not on UK roads, you will be paying Ireland road tax once the VRT is done

they haven't charged me yet, so I'll keep it until I have the VRT paid. How will the DVLA know the car is no longer registered to my cousin's address?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

write and tell them it's been exported

• Advertisement

they haven't charged me yet, so I'll keep it until I have the VRT paid. How will the DVLA know the car is no longer registered to my cousin's address?

The DVLA couldn't give a monkey's once car is gone, and the revenue here have no interest in their records, they jusrt need the V5. Cancel DD. Your cousin can drop them a note saying car is exported on the sale date. if it was in his name. DVLA won't care, you might have towed it or pushed it to the ferry.

Advertisement