Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Hogzy wrote: »
    Finally got my text from the NCTS centre, but they didnt include the amount I have to pay. And the text came through at 6pm and the office is closed. So I need to wait until Monday to find out. :rolleyes:

When was your inspection? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

vintagevrs wrote: »
    When was your inspection? Cheers

3 weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Vicxas wrote: »
    Wonder how much more expensive its gonna be to import from the UK if we have a no deal brexit.

think the tariff is 20%, then VRT....

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭damemcd

Would that be 2k on a 10,000 car.......probably the end of that market so.. Dealers over here must be delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Dante

Does anyone know if the VRT exemption for Transfer of Residency will still exist after Brexit day? Planning to move home in January with the motor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭User1998

damemcd wrote: »
    Would that be 2k on a 10,000 car.......probably the end of that market so.. Dealers over here must be delighted

Where do you think dealers over here get their cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,224 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Does anyone know if the VRT exemption for Transfer of Residency will still exist after Brexit day? Planning to move home in January with the motor.

The VRT exemption under Transfer of Residency doesn't just apply to Britain so I cannot see why it would change just because they are leaving the EU.

Weve all seen the car transporters parked up in Holyhead but surely that doesnt account for more than 10/20 per cent of second hand stock.....

SIMI themselves have said that UK imports account for something like 80-90 percent of dealers used car stock here.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,224 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There were over 100,000 used cars imported into Ireland in 2019. That's a bit more than 10 or 20%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

User1998 wrote: »
    SIMI themselves have said that UK imports account for something like 80-90 percent of dealers used car stock here.

Picked up my car last week from a well known transporter. We arranged to meet at a car dealers garage in cork. Three lorries pulled up, with about 10 cars /lorry. of those 4 were picked up by private individuals like me and the rest were driven into the forecourt.

Driver told me that they have 14 lorries back and forth daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭deezell

They were the ones who lobbied government to crush car imports, in order to force up new car sales and inflate used car prices, yet they became the biggest importers of used cars themselves. Heres a true story. During the import boom, well before the bank crash, a Peugeot main dealer struggled to stay afloat as new car sales stalled, and his used stock of trade ins was trivial compared to market demand. He had nothing to sell that customers wanted. He began importing himself, used cars of his dealership brand and others. The distributors immediately threatened to remove his peugeot franchise. So he could choose between an insolvent main dealership with insufficient stock, and new cars few wanted, or turn his expensive premises into a used car yard, with no main dealer brand to maintain customer confidence. That garage closed, in the middle of a consumer boom in car sales, because of the sting of the dying wasp that was simi. No doubt They're lobbying for dealer exclusive continuation of used importing, with vat and duty mechanisms only available to them. They absolutely detest private importers, and gave went to illegal lengths, such as the refusal of MB dealers in the UK to sell for private export, Similarly I believe with some BMW franchises. It didn't work, but Brexit now gives them a glorious chance to restore their monolopy.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Question on the transfer of MOT to NCT with the form, all I have is the one I printed off from the MOT site with the vin details, how does one get a "original or a certified true copy of my vehicle’s EU out-of-state in-date certificate" I see some site like lostmotcertificate offer one in 10mins for a fee, how would that be different than the one I downloaded and how would it be certified?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭deezell

Question on the transfer of MOT to NCT with the form, all I have is the one I printed off from the MOT site with the vin details, how does one get a "original or a certified true copy of my vehicle’s EU out-of-state in-date certificate" I see some site like lostmotcertificate offer one in 10mins for a fee, how would that be different than the one I downloaded and how would it be certified?

MOT only available online afaik. Download and print.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Just use the one you downloaded, i did same about 3 weeks ago and sent it with the application form and received the nct cert back in about 10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Irish dealers must be absolutely delighted. Can throw a massive markup on a car now and call it a knock on from Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

5500 wrote: »
    Just use the one you downloaded, i did same about 3 weeks ago and sent it with the application form and received the nct cert back in about 10 days.

Do you mean you printed off the result of this page is it?
    https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

or is there some where else?

Also a couple of other VRT related questions if anyone has answers;
    When I have my VRT appointment (Which is Dec 31st) I assume that's the amount I have to pay even if I pay it a few days later in Jan i.e. I wont have to pay the higher VRT rate?
    Can I pay the VRT over the phone or do I need to go back to the same VRT office (Which is far away from me)?
    If I pay the VRT in Jan does that mean I only have to pay road tax from Jan on i.e not for Dec?
    Can you get your number plates at the VRT office also? What does it cost?

The date of import is the date of the inspection. You'll have to pay tax for December too. You can get plates anywhere, but I think vrt office now do them too.

Rang the vrt office there and they basically said if you don't pay the vrt on the day the price can change. They also said they might not be able to give me a price on the day if they don't have a stat code and can take up to 10 days, which would me I need to pay under the 2021 rules. Seems a bit crap if that's the case as I'll pay a good bit more.

Anything i can do in advance about this?

Who did you ring?

I called revenue last week about this as I'm waiting for them to come back to me with a price nearly two weeks now. She told me the price is based on the date of inspection, not the date you pay. Did you call revenue or ncts?

If your exact car is on the calculator you'll be able to pay there. My model isn't on calc so I knew in advance they would need to send to revenue.

• Advertisement

Who did you ring?

I called revenue last week about this as I'm waiting for them to come back to me with a price nearly two weeks now. She told me the price is based on the date of inspection, not the date you pay. Did you call revenue or ncts?

If your exact car is on the calculator you'll be able to pay there. My model isn't on calc so I knew in advance they would need to send to revenue.

I rang ncts. The women I was speaking to said the opposite to what your saying above, but I would think the revenue would be correct. She didn't seem the most knowledgeable and seemed to be reciting from a script. My car is on the calculator so hopefully should be ok.

Makes more sense what revenue say. It for example I get my quote next week but don't pay it until the new year, then that would mean they would need another quote based on when I paid it and new rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

Another question:
    If the exact Make/Model/Variant/Engine Size isn't on the VRT Calculator, does that mean revenue needs to go and create a new Statistical Code for it? So if I do manage to get an appointment before the year end, it might still be the new year before they get to create the code and therefore I'll be paying 2021 fees?

0lordy wrote: »
    Another question:
    If the exact Make/Model/Variant/Engine Size isn't on the VRT Calculator, does that mean revenue needs to go and create a new Statistical Code for it? So if I do manage to get an appointment before the year end, it might still be the new year before they get to create the code and therefore I'll be paying 2021 fees?

The charge will be based on the date of the appointment, even if they get back to you in Jan. Revenue told me this.

Got this text earlier....when they were closed...

Screenshot-20201214-192101.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Rmgblue

The charge will be based on the date of the appointment, even if they get back to you in Jan. Revenue told me this.

Got this text earlier....when they were closed...

Screenshot-20201214-192101.jpg

Can i ask how long you were waiting to hear from them? I had my appointment yest but was sent away and told to wait for text

Apt was two weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭yannakis

How would I go about obtaining this "documentation approved by the Revenue commissioners confirming the CO2 emissions"?

Snippet is from the VRT confirmation e-mail:
    Bo6QbZi.png

The logbook

If a trade deal is done between the Uk and the EU can we expect private buyers/importers to be still hit with import duties or would the single market mean its business as usual......and I do realise that we would have to see the deal but im wondering as I hope to buy soon ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭yannakis

The logbook

Is that the V5C?

Advertisement