Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

bazz26 wrote: »
    Not the old change to driving on the euro side old chestnut again.

You have to realize how much it would cost to convert all the country's infrastructure for left hand drive. Not to mention all the private businesses that would have to fork out to change their car parks, drive thru and vehicle service ways? Who pays for all of this? It's like spending €100 to save €2, it would take years to actually start benefiting from it. Also what about all the right hand drive cars out there now, do we just dig a big hole and bury them? Have you tried driving a left hand drive car regularly in a right hand drive country regularly or vice versa? Go try and over take a truck on a road that you cannot see oncoming traffic on because your on the other side of the vehicle. Try reaching across the other side of your car to take a ticket to get into a multi-storey car park. And lets not forget about the difficulty of driver education, there are people here who have been driving for years who still cannot master driving on the left and you expect them to flip over to the right overnight.

But apart from all that, it's a good idea right?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,223 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sure cheaper cars from the Continent at any cost is the way.

Government wouldn't let them be cheaper anyway. They'd just VRT them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

47akak wrote: »
    Finally found a car, only problem now is getting it back as soon as possible, main transporters are saying "next year". Anyone found something at short notice recently?
    Check if they will deliver it to a port and ferry it over yourself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've moved back to Ireland after 4 years in the UK, and have brought my car that I bought in Sept 2019. I applied to Revenue for a Transfer of Residence exemption in min-November and haven't heard back. I've chased them multiple times through both my enquiries online and the VRT contact phone number, to no avail. My appointment at NCTS is today and I'd really rather not have to pay the VRT and then claim it back (if for no other reason than god knows when I'd get it back at the pace they're working!). Any ideas what's likely to happen at the appointment today if I don't/can't pay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭deezell

Faith wrote: »
    I've moved back to Ireland after 4 years in the UK, and have brought my car that I bought in Sept 2019. I applied to Revenue for a Transfer of Residence exemption in min-November and haven't heard back. I've chased them multiple times through both my enquiries online and the VRT contact phone number, to no avail. My appointment at NCTS is today and I'd really rather not have to pay the VRT and then claim it back (if for no other reason than god knows when I'd get it back at the pace they're working!). Any ideas what's likely to happen at the appointment today if I don't/can't pay?
    You'll be all right. Tell them your waiting for the exemption. Ask for a deferral of your inspection. If they advise doing it, go ahead but dont pay if they calculate a fee. Get some documentation to show you've presented, such as the inspection result, so Guards/Insurance company will give you a break. Make sure you keep a copy of your original V5.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭47akak

Check if they will deliver it to a port and ferry it over yourself.

I booked the ferry to go over and collect, then Tier 4 was announced, with UK-Ireland travel restricted. Looks like I missed the last helicopter out of Saigon as far as getting it transported goes. No deal is on the cards too. Frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Faith wrote: »

I would still go and get it inspected. Then the TOR process should eventually come in to zero it. What do revenue say when you call them? I called them last week and found they were very helpful.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    I would still go and get it inspected. Then the TOR process should eventually come in to zero it. What do revenue say when you call them? I called them last week and found they were very helpful.

That’s interesting, I called them three times last week and each time I was told “All we can do is pass on a message for an officer to call you back”. No one ever called me back, despite the last message being marked as ‘Urgent’. By the last call, the person I spoke to said she was even losing her patience as so many people were having the same issue as me and no one was calling anyone back.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 hada87

Hi there

I imported a car last week from Northern Ireland. I'm in the process of sorting VRT which I have organised for early next month, but wanted to check on the V5C form.

I have the entire form (sections 1 - 12) but do I need to send section 11 to the DVLA in Swansea (i.e. the notice of permanent export) section?

• Advertisement

hada87 wrote: »
    Hi there

I imported a car last week from Northern Ireland. I'm in the process of sorting VRT which I have organised for early next month, but wanted to check on the V5C form.

I have the entire form (sections 1 - 12) but do I need to send section 11 to the DVLA in Swansea (i.e. the notice of permanent export) section?

No really necessary. Keep it, in case you need to bring it back and sell it in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,223 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

hada87 wrote: »
    Hi there

No you don't, that was up to the seller in NI to do if they wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 hada87

bazz26 wrote: »
    No you don't, that was up to the seller in NI to do if they wanted to.

Thank you bazz26. So nothing for me to do in terms of UK registration?

Apologies, part of me thought that because I purchased the car in the North prior to it being exported it would be for me to fill out that form.

Many thanks.

deezell wrote: »
    You'll be all right. Tell them your waiting for the exemption. Ask for a deferral of your inspection. If they advise doing it, go ahead but dont pay if they calculate a fee. Get some documentation to show you've presented, such as the inspection result, so Guards/Insurance company will give you a break. Make sure you keep a copy of your original V5.
    vintagevrs wrote: »

Just in case anyone else is in a similar boat, I brought the car and they went ahead with the inspection. Frankly, they couldn't have given a toss about me not having the exemption letter. They gave me some documentation and said to come back when I have it to sort out the balance. It means I'll still be on UK plates for a while but that's grand.

Thanks for your replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

good news, so long as you have your paperwork you'll be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Guys
    What do you have to do to get a NCT certificate after VRTing a car? NCTS.ie is stating that the car is not due for NCT until Nov 2021.

What do I use as a valid certificate in the meantime?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,324 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Cona wrote: »
    Guys
    What do you have to do to get a NCT certificate after VRTing a car? NCTS.ie is stating that the car is not due for NCT until Nov 2021.

What do I use as a valid certificate in the meantime?

Likely the car is not yet 4 years old in which case it doesn't need one until November 2021 when it turns 4 years. MOT is when car is first 3 years old.

Likely the car is not yet 4 years old in which case it doesn't need one until November 2021 when it turns 4 years. MOT is when car is first 3 years old.

Ah cool, yes, the car is 2017 so looks like I dont need a cert until next year then?!
    thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 82,324 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Cona wrote: »
    Ah cool, yes, the car is 2017 so looks like I dont need a cert until next year then?!
    thanks for the info

Yes that's it.

Just wondering if anyone has used Revolut Premium to pay for a car? Approx 15k.

Any issues with that amount?

Revolut say there is no limit, there's no FX limit with Revolut Premium.

• Advertisement

Just wondering if anyone has used Revolut Premium to pay for a car? Approx 15k.

Any issues with that amount?

Revolut say there is no limit, there's no FX limit with Revolut Premium.

Yes I used it for a greater amount than that. Was flawless. Money arrives practically instant as well.

Any issue with source of funds or anything like that being triggered?

This will put me over the 30k for the year. Revolut say it probably won't trigger it, but can't guarantee it.

Any issue with source of funds or anything like that being triggered?

This will put me over the 30k for the year. Revolut say it probably won't trigger it, but can't guarantee it.

If the funds are coming from a local Irish bank account in your own name, I think the onus moves to them. They have a system to flag your funds as legitimate afaik, so if your records show accountable deposits from paychecks, etc, then Revolut can accept the deposits. If it appears in your Revolut balance, then you've already been cleared. I'm not sure how it works, but my first big deposit was held back, as Revolut looked for payslips, source bank statements, but within a few hours it transferred, before I did anything, so I assume they got an electronic ok from my bank.

deezell wrote: »
    If the funds are coming from a local Irish bank account in your own name, I think the onus moves to them. They have a system to flag your funds as legitimate afaik, so if your records show accountable deposits from paychecks, etc, then Revolut can accept the deposits. If it appears in your Revolut balance, then you've already been cleared. I'm not sure how it works, but my first big deposit was held back, as Revolut looked for payslips, source bank statements, but within a few hours it transferred, before I did anything, so I assume they got an electronic ok from my bank.

This car will be on the last chopper out of Saigon, it needs to be paid for tomorrow one way or another. I'm concerned about a day or 2 day wait to clear it up while my funds are tied up. Revolut couldn't give me a definitive answer, I've asked them go and get one but nothing so far. It will be more expensive but I'm leaning towards using my debit card, rates aren't terrible on debit card.

EDIT: Revolut's final answer is that they won't know if it will be triggered until after it happens. Very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 wrcarter

I luckily got my 110 into Rosslare on Friday night. Collected it on Saturday morning. I had a vrt appointment for early jan but on Monday morning managed to get an appointment for the 30th so all going well.

It has MOT until august. I have the mot cert. Am I correct in saying that I can transfer it over to cvrt. Does the form have to be in before the end of the year? Or does it go by the date the vehicle was imported/inspected?

It’s 31 years old so the test should be every 2 years now. I assume I can’t apply for that now and move the next test to 2022?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

I booked the ferry to go over and collect, then Tier 4 was announced, with UK-Ireland travel restricted. Looks like I missed the last helicopter out of Saigon as far as getting it transported goes. No deal is on the cards too. Frustrating.
    I had mine delivered to Liverpool docks - booked it on ferry as trade car for €230 (you need to phone P&O) and collected it in Dublin - no travel, simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 wrcarter

I had mine delivered to Liverpool docks - booked it on ferry as trade car for €230 (you need to phone P&O) and collected it in Dublin - no travel, simple as.

Yea did a similar thing but the company that collected it dealt with Irish ferries. Just had to drop down to Rosslare to collect it.

wrcarter wrote: »
    I luckily got my 110 into Rosslare on Friday night. Collected it on Saturday morning. I had a vrt appointment for early jan but on Monday morning managed to get an appointment for the 30th so all going well.

It has MOT until august. I have the mot cert. Am I correct in saying that I can transfer it over to cvrt. Does the form have to be in before the end of the year? Or does it go by the date the vehicle was imported/inspected?

It’s 31 years old so the test should be every 2 years now. I assume I can’t apply for that now and move the next test to 2022?

Thanks

You'll just get an nct cert valid until august MOT expiry. You could submit the application on the day of the inspection once you know your new reg no. or ask there and then will MOT stiil be valid for a 2020 inspected vehicle if the paperwork only goes in in 2021 (no one is going to look at it till well into Jan anyway).
    If you get the MOT transferred,you'll be liable for two yearly test for a private classic, or annual test for a commercially used classic, (you mention cvrt) commencing next August. Otherwise you're due a test immediately, but the 4 month covid extension may apply, so you won't be due a 1st test till 30th April. I'm not sure if the 4 month extension will be added to an NCT due in August, I think that only applies up to tests due before April.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

Anyone go to VRT a car and the revenue systems goes down so no VRT price. Happened to me last night. The guy said he would ring me this morning with the price. No word from him yet. Wonder should I just chance calling by again this evening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

Anyone go to VRT a car and the revenue systems goes down so no VRT price. Happened to me last night. The guy said he would ring me this morning with the price. No word from him yet. Wonder should I just chance calling by again this evening?

Advertisement