Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Call them straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Rmgblue

masit wrote: »
    Anyone go to VRT a car and the revenue systems goes down so no VRT price. Happened to me last night. The guy said he would ring me this morning with the price. No word from him yet. Wonder should I just chance calling by again this evening?

Wish I seen this an hour ago! Still down for anyone else waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jwmpayne2004

Rmgblue wrote: »
    Wish I seen this an hour ago! Still down for anyone else waiting

It was down for 2 days last week, I went back to my closest VRT centre next day and was told that I got lucky it went through, but system is still crawling. Best of luck lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 wrcarter

deezell wrote: »
    You'll just get an nct cert valid until august MOT expiry. You could submit the application on the day of the inspection once you know your new reg no. or ask there and then will MOT stiil be valid for a 2020 inspected vehicle if the paperwork only goes in in 2021 (no one is going to look at it till well into Jan anyway).
    If you get the MOT transferred,you'll be liable for two yearly test for a private classic, or annual test for a commercially used classic, (you mention cvrt) commencing next August. Otherwise you're due a test immediately, but the 4 month covid extension may apply, so you won't be due a 1st test till 30th April. I'm not sure if the 4 month extension will be added to an NCT due in August, I think that only applies up to tests due before April.

Cheers for the information and clarity. It’s a landrover 110 station wagon. Just to be used privately and not commercially.

I thought it needed a cvrt or is it nct? The cvrt site implies all jeeps and 4x4s need a cvrt? Apologies, I’ve never needed a cvrt before as I’ve only had cars

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

Decided to call down to my nearest VRT office. System still down. Closing today, back open 30th and 31st

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Rmgblue

masit wrote: »
    Decided to call down to my nearest VRT office. System still down. Closing today, back open 30th and 31st

Greenhills/dundalk and one other I can't remember open... Maybe Wexford?
    With a bit of luck my car will be 'a year older' when ballymun opens again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

wrcarter wrote: »
    Cheers for the information and clarity. It’s a landrover 110 station wagon. Just to be used privately and not commercially.

I thought it needed a cvrt or is it nct? The cvrt site implies all jeeps and 4x4s need a cvrt? Apologies, I’ve never needed a cvrt before as I’ve only had cars

If it's taxed privately pretty sure it's just an NCT same as your car's before. Any pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

It was down for 2 days last week, I went back to my closest VRT centre next day and was told that I got lucky it went through, but system is still crawling. Best of luck lads!

I have an appointment on the 31st in Dundalk. Not sure what happens if it happens then, could I get stung having to pay the 2022 rate if they can't give a price?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jwmpayne2004

irishguy wrote: »
    I have an appointment on the 31st in Dundalk. Not sure what happens if it happens then, could I get stung having to pay the 2022 rate if they can't give a price?
    No, price of the VRT is set during inspection day. Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

vintagevrs wrote: »
    If it's taxed privately pretty sure it's just an NCT same as your car's before. Any pictures?

don't think so. https://www.cvrt.ie/en/Test-Bookings/Pages/Vans-and-Jeeps.aspx

• Advertisement

Isambard wrote: »

Cheers. Yea from my research, that’s what I found too. I don’t remember seeing jeeps etc in the nct so it makes sense.

Brexit deal done. Anyone know what it means for importing cars from NI or Britain?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The detail will need to be seen but it would appear the uk are
    agreeing to align themselves with eu tax/trade rules - dont know if duty will need to paid or not on bringing in a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Amouar

mickdw wrote: »
    The detail will need to be seen but it would appear the uk are
    agreeing to align themselves with eu tax/trade rules - dont know if duty will need to paid or not on bringing in a car.

Looks like no duty will need to be paid however I'm not sure about VAT.

Amouar wrote: »
    Looks like no duty will need to be paid however I'm not sure about VAT.

Could be take off UK VAT and apply irish VAT. 1% difference at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭SummerK

Initial report says no need to pay customs/import duty but we need to wait for full details to come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭deezell

Could be take off UK VAT and apply irish VAT. 1% difference at present.
    Unfortunately UK don't refund VAT in used private cars, only buisness/lease owned VAT qualifying, which are scarce enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

Yea did a similar thing but the company that collected it dealt with Irish ferries. Just had to drop down to Rosslare to collect it.
    No collection company - the garage that sold it to me agreed to deliver it FOC to Liverpool port (90 miles).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Do we need an agent to deal with customs at the port now? Similar to when you buy a car off the Japs.

Has anyone on here used an agent?

This is going to be a right balls now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Cheers. Yea from my research, that’s what I found too. I don’t remember seeing jeeps etc in the nct so it makes sense.

If the jeep is a passenger car ie. 7 seat 110 it requires an NCT not a CVRT (that’s for commercials. Ie 2 seat or Crewcab).

As it’s a passenger (I assume as you’re saying station wagon) you’re due an NCT every 2 years until it’s 40 years old, then it’s exempt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,280 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

deezell wrote: »

Unfortunately UK don't refund VAT in used private cars, only buisness/lease owned VAT qualifying, which are scarce enough.

A fair bit of the U.K. used market and especially auction market is VAT qualifying up to 3-4 years old so I would expect a more targeted supply and for a lot of Irish private importers to wet themselves when they get it wrong.

L-M wrote: »
    If the jeep is a passenger car ie. 7 seat 110 it requires an NCT not a CVRT (that’s for commercials. Ie 2 seat or Crewcab).

As it’s a passenger (I assume as you’re saying station wagon) you’re due an NCT every 2 years until it’s 40 years old, then it’s exempt.

Thanks for the help. Yea it’s in a 7 seater configuration at the moment with 2 folding rear seats in the back. It’s hard to get a definitive answer in any of the manuals etc. I suppose it’s best to ask when I’m getting at the nct centre sorting the vrt. That should remove any doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Thanks for the help. Yea it’s in a 7 seater configuration at the moment with 2 folding rear seats in the back. It’s hard to get a definitive answer in any of the manuals etc. I suppose it’s best to ask when I’m getting at the nct centre sorting the vrt. That should remove any doubt.

I can guarantee you it’s due an NCT. I honestly can’t understand why you think otherwise, it’s the same as a Landrover Discovery, Kia Sorento etc etc etc

The only time it would require a CVRT is if it was commercial ie. 2 seats, or a Crewcab be it an actual crewcab or a 5 seat jeep that is registered as a crew cab(these are the ones that require a CVRT).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

ELM327 wrote: »
    I wouldnt be a fan of importing a BMW that's getting on a bit, with a model that wasnt sold here and a hybrid drivetrain that was never used by BMW ireland.

If I wanted a 3 litre 3 series of that era I'd get the 330i (or whatever nomenclature gives you the 3 litre 6).

They most certainly were sold here, any BMW that is sold in the UK is sold here, and this has been the case since 2004 when BMW took over importing the cars themselves. The only exception to this was when they did a 316i with a 1.6 litre engine for the E90 between 2006 and 2008 specially for us. However I'd be surprised if anyone bought them, as they were often the top line version in a car (the AH X6 and 7 used a V8 for example) so those types of car never sell well here at the best of times.

L-M wrote: »
    I can guarantee you it’s due an NCT. I honestly can’t understand why you think otherwise, it’s the same as a Landrover Discovery, Kia Sorento etc etc etc

The only time it would require a CVRT is if it was commercial ie. 2 seats, or a Crewcab be it an actual crewcab or a 5 seat jeep that is registered as a crew cab(these are the ones that require a CVRT).

Cheers. It’s the cvrt site that’s a bit confusing. I suppose if it’s registered as a passenger vehicle (As opposed to crewcab registered privately) it should be nct. I nct 3 cars a year and never recall seeing a 4x4 in there so it got be doubting. Nct sounds better as I’m more used to that. Thanks L-M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Given a deal was done on bre exit. What are the taxes etc. For a car in January

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭User1998

It hasn’t been officially announced yet

Marcusm wrote: »
    A fair bit of the U.K. used market and especially auction market is VAT qualifying up to 3-4 years old so I would expect a more targeted supply and for a lot of Irish private importers to wet themselves when they get it wrong.

The auction market is trade only though, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

i think you can bid as a member of the public, I've been to BCA at Blackbush and there was no restrictions although that was a lot of years ago

• Advertisement

Isambard wrote: »
    i think you can bid as a member of the public, I've been to BCA at Blackbush and there was no restrictions although that was a lot of years ago
    Or is it that the commissions are punitive for a joe soap public? My last buy was a pcp vat qualifying c220, MB main dealer salesman happy to tell me that most of their used stock was auctions, not returning customer trade ins. He said they'd go out of buisness without these cars, and have to sell at car supermarket prices to compete, despite the allure of buying from a main dealer.

Advertisement