Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭User1998

Members of the public can buy at the likes of BCA but they can’t bid online and the buyers fees are extremely high for private individuals especially on cheaper vehicles. Since Covid started the auctions have been online only meaning no members of the public, and its likely it will stay that way for the foreseeable even after Covid

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I guess the golden age of grey importing comes to an end this week.

It's a shame for me at least as I was planning on upgrading this year but the model I've had my eye on there will only be a handful of examples here for sale compared to decent choice in the UK.

Oh well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I guess the golden age of grey importing comes to an end this week.

It's a shame for me at least as I was planning on upgrading this year but the model I've had my eye on there will only be a handful of examples here for sale compared to decent choice in the UK.

Oh well

You can still import from the UK, or what are you seeing as the hurdle? There's more paperwork and it's onerous, but you can still import. What I'd like to see is an agent service but difficult to find one.

myshirt wrote: »
    You can still import from the UK, or what are you seeing as the hurdle? There's more paperwork and it's onerous, but you can still import. What I'd like to see is an agent service but difficult to find one.

If you end up having to pay vat again on the import well then its going to be cost prohibitive for individuals to to do this - there won't be any savings. To my knowledge, the UK doesn't do vat refunds on 2nd hand cars.

The only vehicles I can see as being worthwhile to import are those that are vat qualifying, and they are few and far between

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Covit

I wouldn’t be surprised if too much doesn’t change when comes to importing , bar long line of red tape nailing down who had 10k/20k cash for vrt .

Uk needs to get rid of there cars as they have no value in 3 year olds onwards and our government sur love there vrt .

While Ireland moves slowly towards more electric , Leo and company will gladly accept the heinous crime of vrt to blow on some other ill thought out venture

• Advertisement

Covit wrote: »
    I wouldn’t be surprised if too much doesn’t change when comes to importing , bar long line of red tape nailing down who had 10k/20k cash for vrt .

Uk needs to get rid of there cars as they have no value in 3 year olds onwards and our government sur love there vrt .

While Ireland moves slowly towards more electric , Leo and company will gladly accept the heinous crime of vrt to blow on some other ill thought out venture

There were 8 million used car sales in the UK last year and only 100,000 of those were exported to Ireland. The UK aren’t dependent on us to buy their 3 year old cars and will do just fine without us.

As regards to VRT, when we move to electrics, they will just increase VRT on electrics, they’ve already gotten rid of hybrid grants. They won’t admit its a crime because its not a crime, it’s perfectly legal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

The imposition of VAT on used UK imports would surely kill it off, and subsequently Leo et al would be left with a big hole in the tax income?

I'm not saying it won't happen but it would seem incredibly stupid to do so...I want to import ASAP in the new year so I have a vested interest but this would end it for me as a financially sensible option.

Gatster wrote: »
    The imposition of VAT on used UK imports would surely kill it off, and subsequently Leo et al would be left with a big hole in the tax income?

I'm not saying it won't happen but it would seem incredibly stupid to do so...I want to import ASAP in the new year so I have a vested interest but this would end it for me as a financially sensible option.

They will need to adjust VRT to take account of the VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I was all set for getting an import from the UK around April/May but theres so much up in the air at the minute.

Which would be the same as imposing VAT anyway, and make the import system financially infeasible for most.

• Advertisement

There won't be any change to the rules. Dealers will still have access to the UK market through auctions for vat qualifying cars so there won't be much pressure for change from an organized lobby group. In fact it will be quite the opposite - the current deal will leave them delighted as the only way to get an import will be through them. Remember, in the past, they wanted a distinction between used UK and new cars that they sell in the VRT rules.

The individual won't have access to these auction markets, where such cars can be sourced, nor the time to attend and bid at them. The grey import market by individuals at least is dead.

There will be a temporary hit to the exchequer finances as the new way works it's way into the system. The new way however supports more jobs in the dealer network here and will keep more money in the country, so it's likely that it will be a policy that the government will not be minded to change.

Well I suppose if that is the case at least it will keep a steady stream of decent 2nd hand cars on the market. Otherwise the pool of available cars would have shrunk significantly and got a lot more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-traders-and-agents/brexit/brexit-for-individuals/importing-a-vehicle-from-great-britain-gb-or-northern-ireland.aspx

“If a vehicle is being imported from Northern Ireland, no import duty will apply but you may be liable to pay:

Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT)
    VAT (only in respect of new vehicles)”

Maybe a market there for northern dealers to purchase car for you and sell it on?
    See car you want from Audi London for example, go to Audi Belfast and ask them to purchase it for you and you buy it off them plus some markup? Taking approved main dealers here.

Or just give your requirements up north and they source from mainland uk and sell to you.

rodge123 wrote: »
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-traders-and-agents/brexit/brexit-for-individuals/importing-a-vehicle-from-great-britain-gb-or-northern-ireland.aspx

“If a vehicle is being imported from Northern Ireland, no import duty will apply but you may be liable to pay:

Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT)
    VAT (only in respect of new vehicles)”

Maybe a market there for northern dealers to purchase car for you and sell it on?
    See car you want from Audi London for example, go to Audi Belfast and ask them to purchase it for you and you buy it off them plus some markup? Taking approved main dealers here.

Or just give your requirements up north and they source from mainland uk and sell to you.

They are still referring to 23% VAT on that revenue link so I'd say it hasn't been updated since summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

They are still referring to 23% VAT on that revenue link so I'd say it hasn't been updated since summer.

so presuming the deal eliminates excise duty, there's no difference between GB and NI?

Here’s the screen print. This is actually interesting as I’d be importing from the North, there’s a specific car I’ve seen that if this is still valid next week and the new rates are published, I’ll be buying it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Gatster wrote: »
    Here’s the screen print. This is actually interesting as I’d be importing from the North, there’s a specific car I’ve seen that if this is still valid next week and the new rates are published, I’ll be buying it :)

ok, so the main thing is find a Vat qualified car and take on the hassel, i see chris at FC getting busy if he can do it,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

the advance customs declaration is interesting. Lots may ignore that and be held at Customs for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

I imagine the only cars we'll see coming to our shores will be reasonably new VAT qualifying hybrids and electric cars from the UK following Brexit & VRT changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

There won't be any change to the rules. Dealers will still have access to the UK market through auctions for vat qualifying cars so there won't be much pressure for change from an organized lobby group. In fact it will be quite the opposite - the current deal will leave them delighted as the only way to get an import will be through them. Remember, in the past, they wanted a distinction between used UK and new cars that they sell in the VRT rules.

The individual won't have access to these auction markets, where such cars can be sourced, nor the time to attend and bid at them. The grey import market by individuals at least is dead.

There will be a temporary hit to the exchequer finances as the new way works it's way into the system. The new way however supports more jobs in the dealer network here and will keep more money in the country, so it's likely that it will be a policy that the government will not be minded to change.

If a car is VAT qualifying a private person can get the back the VAT the same as a dealer.

Also, private people can access the same auctions but pay higher fees, but if you took the dealers lower fees + profit versus private person + higher fees it’ll still work out cheaper. Unless you’re completely opposed to a dealer making some money and having the car here ready to go, valeted, serviced and warrantied well then maybe go to auction?

Just remember like all industries if dealers aren’t supported, who’s going to be there when your car breaks down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭damemcd

Maybe a independent mechanic who wont shaft you with Main dealer service charges.....

damemcd wrote: »
    Maybe a independent mechanic who wont shaft you with Main dealer service charges.....

There’s a thread on here that will prove to the contrary. Also the age old attitude of the Irish to use spurious parts and Fred in the shed and say it’s cheaper.

L-M wrote: »
    If a car is VAT qualifying a private person can get the back the VAT the same as a dealer.

Also, private people can access the same auctions but pay higher fees, but if you took the dealers lower fees + profit versus private person + higher fees it’ll still work out cheaper. Unless you’re completely opposed to a dealer making some money and having the car here ready to go, valeted, serviced and warrantied well then maybe go to auction?

Just remember like all industries if dealers aren’t supported, who’s going to be there when your car breaks down?

Are you trying to say that dealer fees + dealer profit would be lower than private fees + no dealer profit?

User1998 wrote: »
    Are you trying to say that dealer fees + dealer profit would be lower than private fees + no dealer profit?

Oh no, obviously not.

I’m saying the private + higher fees would still be lower than buying the same car from a dealer.

L-M wrote: »
    Oh no, obviously not.

I’m saying the private + higher fees would still be lower than buying the same car from a dealer.

Ah yes. Wasn’t sure which point you were trying to get across.

FYI the UK auctions are only open to the public for bidding in person in the auction hall. But since Covid started the auctions have been closed with online bidding only which can only be accessed by members of the trade and they are likely to be closed for the next year. So I’m guessing it will be near impossible for Irish folk to get VAT qualifying cars from the UK now without the help of Irish dealers.

Of course there is still the option of Auto trader but calling every single dealer to ask is the car VAT Q is a bit of a pain and getting them to sell it with zero VAT is another issue considering its hard enough to get them to sell the car with the V5!

Its still not really confirmed weather VAT will be charged or not on imports from Jan 1st? So it may not be an issue. Most Revenue stuff that suggests VAT and Customs will be due were published about 6 months ago before the trade deal was done

Not necessarily the case if you use a broker such as Chris Laing in Birmingham

I’m sure there will be one of those “middle man” garages set up to buy and sell you the car plus a small fee for the trouble...

Actually.... not a bad idea.......

You woudnt need a garage....just a Norn Ire land postal address, and your motor trade insurance to open a account with BCA /Mannheim .....any takers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

https://www.cinch.co.uk/

This new outfit Cinch owned by BCA started up a few months ago in direct competition with the likes of Autotrader.

BCA supplies the cars to the dealers who then sell them on with BCA getting a commission on the sale. ( I think that's the way its works )

Seen that BCA supplies the cars an awful lot of them would be VAT qualifying, so may be an option for people.

• Advertisement

damemcd wrote: »
    Not necessarily the case if you use a broker such as Chris Laing in Birmingham

He is a c*nt to deal with

Advertisement