Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

Vicxas wrote: »
    Has the VRT calculator been updated to reflect the emissions change?

It has. Just looked up a car today that I VRT'ed yesterday. A 14 Fiesta 1.25, €72 more today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I brought in a fiesta two weeks ago. I have a screenshot from then compared with the website today. Didn't expect them to have it changed so soon.

Screenshot-20210101-121424.jpg

Vrt is an extra 1000, from 19% of omsp to 26%. Omsp dropped by 400 euro too for new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Thomasirl123

Anyone know what happens with vat when importing to Northern Ireland from England?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Anyone know what happens with vat when importing to Northern Ireland from England?

as far as I can see, no diference unless you're a dealer, where the way the VAT is dealt with will/may change. ANyone doing so would be hit with the full import chrges if they then brought it into RoI.

DOn't take that as gospel, just my interpretation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Maybe I've missed the boat on UK imports but I'm looking as a Volvo XC90

https://selekt.volvocars.co.uk/en/used-cars/volvo/xc90-ii-d5-inscription/panoramic-sunroof-sat-nav-cruise-control-v3cap9ap?zip=SW15%205PU

Something like this which is £26,000 (so €29,000) would have a VRT of €15,637

I could get it for less in Ireland but what would the VRT on this have been like pre-Brexit?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Dr Dave

michellie wrote: »
    What's the first registered date and make&model of your car Dr.dave?

I brought in a 2017 (171) Alfa Giulia Speciale just before Christmas. Guy didn't even look for extras so wasn't worth worrying about.
    Had stupidly not had all documentation for a vrt 19th Nov, so had to book a full visit for this again. Went on a list and got one in Lk on 23rd Dec.
    Brought the Giulia to this repeat booking and nothing said, got the first car sorted as well.
    Just checked the VRT calculator and the Giulia would be €550 more to bring in now, under some new calcs or other.
    That's assuming there isn't import and Vat as well - not up to date on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭deezell

frash wrote: »
    Maybe I've missed the boat on UK imports but I'm looking as a Volvo XC90

https://selekt.volvocars.co.uk/en/used-cars/volvo/xc90-ii-d5-inscription/panoramic-sunroof-sat-nav-cruise-control-v3cap9ap?zip=SW15%205PU

Something like this which is £26,000 (so €29,000) would have a VRT of €15,637

I could get it for less in Ireland but what would the VRT on this have been like pre-Brexit?

Thanks
    If you use the calculator, the vrt for this car is coming in at €11214 plus €725 nox, €11939. See below. You may have chosen the wrong model or variant, but this is the calculation for june 2015 66k miles XC90 Inscription with 152mg co2 emissions, and 75mg Nox. Vrt is calculated at 31% of OMSP, ladt year this was 23%, so the extra VRT is a whopping €2894, and the extra Nox charge is €200, so altogether, €3094 more. (The OMSP may have reduced on last year for this car though, so using the old vrt rates but adding say €3000 to OMSP for assessment last year, would alter the difference by €630, or €2464 more.)
    If you have to pay 21 VAT on the uk purchase price, of about €30000, and about €500 for inspections, transport here etc, thats another €6700, so total cost is...€48639. Ludicrous. Even without the VAT, it's €42393. Pointless importing this car.

Your VRT Calculation
    Date01/01/2021
    Time23:22
    Rate of VRT
    31%
    Vehicle Registration Tax
    (payable on enquiry)
    €11,939
    Vehicle Details
    Statistical Code
    Model
    XC90
    Make
    VOLVO
    Version
    2.0 D5 INSCRIPTION AWD 5DR AUT
    Breakdown of VRT Calculation
    Open Market Selling Price (OMSP) determined by Revenue
    €71779
    Monthly Adjustment
    +105%
    Depreciation Code Allocated by Revenue
    A4
    Odometer Reading
    66000 Miles
    Date of First Registration
    June 2015
    Mileage/Kilometre Reduction
    €0
    Rate of Depreciation for this Vehicle
    52%
    Current OMSP determined by Revenue
    €36176
    Revenue CO2 Estimate
    CO2 Emissions
    Rate of VRT
    31%
    CO2 VRT Charges
    (payable on enquiry)
    €11,214
    Revenue NOx Estimate
    NOx Emissions
    NOx Units
    mg/km
    NOx VRT Charge
    (payable on enquiry)
    €725
    Registration Tax Total
    CO2 VRT Charges
    €11,214
    NOx VRT Charge
    €725

Vehicle Registration Tax
    (payable on enquiry)
    €11,939

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I'm pricing a car on the calculator here and not sure what it's doing. It's a 2019 520i.

Screenshot-20210102-010910-com-android-chrome.jpg

The co2 is 136 which should be in the 18% bracket but it's coming back in the 26% range.

It looks like they are applying this formula

(Petrol: y = x(0.9227)+34.554)

but I would have thought a 2019 5 series co2 calc is on the newer WLTP standard already and doesn't need the formula applied or am I missing something daft?

Thanks

vintagevrs wrote: »
    I'm pricing a car on the calculator here and not sure what it's doing. It's a 2019 520i.

Screenshot-20210102-010910-com-android-chrome.jpg

The co2 is 136 which should be in the 18% bracket but it's coming back in the 26% range.

It looks like they are applying this formula

(Petrol: y = x(0.9227)+34.554)

but I would have thought a 2019 5 series co2 calc is on the newer WLTP standard already and doesn't need the formula applied or am I missing something daft?

Thanks

You're probably correct. What does it say 9n the v5?. If you haven't sight of it, run the uk reg on the dvla site,
    https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk
    see does it say if the co2 is WLTP.
    The NEDC emissions on the DVLA emissions site for this car is124, or 129 for runflat tyres, so the 136 on your V5 seems like an increase to reflect WLTP. If you had bought a 520i with NEDC of124 on the V5, this would have calculated up to 149 WLTP, or 21% VRT, still higher than the 18% ypu were expecting. I guess you have to submit your V5 as a WLTP figure to the NCT, hopefully thats what the V5 states.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Builder Ben

Hi all, just looking for opinions here - I brought in a 2014 car in December but couldn’t get a vrt appointment until January 2021 which means it is under the new WLTP rules. This puts €1400 onto the vrt. I am going to appeal but am unsure of how to proceed - as far as I can see I have 3 options:
    1. Appeal based in fact that I couldn’t get an appointment in December. I shouldn’t be penalised because I can’t be furnished with an inspection in a reasonable time frame
    2. I accept the uplift in vrt % and argue on basis on OMSP to get a few quid off.
    3. A combination of both.

Really unsure what to do here but absolutely livid with myself for not researching more thorough before I bought the car 🀦*♂️
    Any opinions more than welcome.

• Advertisement

Hi all, just looking for opinions here - I brought in a 2014 car in December but couldn’t get a vrt appointment until January 2021 which means it is under the new WLTP rules. This puts €1400 onto the vrt. I am going to appeal but am unsure of how to proceed - as far as I can see I have 3 options:
    1. Appeal based in fact that I couldn’t get an appointment in December. I shouldn’t be penalised because I can’t be furnished with an inspection in a reasonable time frame
    2. I accept the uplift in vrt % and argue on basis on OMSP to get a few quid off.

Really unsure what to do here but absolutely livid with myself for not researching more thorough before I bought the car ��*♂️

Go for 1. You'll probably have to present for inspection, get the result, then lodge an appeal. Will they accept an appeal before payment? You have a certain time to pay, 30 das?, you won't get your new reg till ypu do.

Really unsure what to do here but absolutely livid with myself for not researching more thorough before I bought the car 🀦*♂️

Will you have VAT or import charge to pay aswell if it's an English Reg car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

No. He said the car was brought in in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Really unsure what to do here but absolutely livid with myself for not researching more thorough before I bought the car ��*♂️

Mention it during the assessment process with NCTS so they record it and then launch an appeal. I understand Revenue intend to be sympathetic regarding genuine cases but there are no guarantees.

2021 will certainly be an interesting year for imports!

Dante7 wrote: »
    No. He said the car was brought in in December.

It's when the inspection takes place that matters though. If it isn't inspected till 2021 it could be liable for VAT.

It's when the inspection takes place that matters though. If it isn't inspected till 2021 it could be liable for VAT.

That is incorrect.

Dante7 wrote: »
    That is incorrect.

Why do you think the panic with buyers was to get them booked in for inspection before 2021. You couldn't get a slot anywhere in the country in later half of December.

Why do you think the panic with buyers was to get them booked in for inspection before 2021. You couldn't get a slot anywhere in the country in later half of December.

Correlation does not imply causation. The end of year rush was due to the changes in the NOx rates and CO2 bands, not because VAT and duty would be charged for cars bought before 1st January.

Incorrect, once you have proof the car was brought in before 2021, old rules apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭User1998

masit wrote: »
    Incorrect, once you have proof the car was brought in before 2021, old rules apply.

Well, if your appointment is in 2021 the new vrt rules will apply regardless of when the car entered the country. But VAT and customs won’t be charged as long as it entered before the year end, regardless of when your appointment is.

• Advertisement

User1998 wrote: »
    Well, if your appointment is in 2021 the new vrt rules will apply regardless of when the car entered the country. But VAT and customs won’t be charged as long as it entered before the year end, regardless of when your appointment is.

Oh yeah, sorry. Regarding the new NOX, new rules. But no tax and duty in before 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Hello All,

I am thinking to get Mercedes GLC 220D from UK. And wondering if its still better value after Brexit and VAT applied?

Also, do people use dealers/agents in Ireland to get it checked in UK and delivered in ROI?

Please see the link below :

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202012086889129?colour=Blue&advertising-location=at_cars&year-from=2019&maximum-mileage=15000&postcode=BT1%201AA&model=GLC%20CLASS&sort=price-asc&page=1&make=MERCEDES-BENZ&fuel-type=Diesel&include-delivery-option=on&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New

• Registered Users Posts: 73,452 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Keep in mind there’s approx €14k VRT on that too.

Hello All,

I am thinking to get Mercedes GLC 220D from UK. And wondering if its still better value after Brexit and VAT applied?

Also, do people use dealers/agents in Ireland to get it checked in UK and delivered in ROI?

Please see the link below :

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202012086889129?colour=Blue&advertising-location=at_cars&year-from=2019&maximum-mileage=15000&postcode=BT1%201AA&model=GLC%20CLASS&sort=price-asc&page=1&make=MERCEDES-BENZ&fuel-type=Diesel&include-delivery-option=on&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New

Nothing will br worth getting if 21% is added to the uk purchase price, and thats before the increase in vrt and Nox for most used cars. A lot of new stock here are facing price increases also, anything decent with a bit of go in it. Dealers were very quiet pre 2021, none trying to sell before the increase, probably pointless as you'd get a 2020 plate, not a 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Is this 21% a permanent thing now? I thought a Brexit deal was going to stop that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Vicxas wrote: »
    Is this 21% a permanent thing now? I thought a Brexit deal was going to stop that?

Deal stopped any additional tariffs.
    VAT has always been chargeable on imports.
    But in the EU there is harmonic tax. So you pay VAT on the car once in it's lifetime in the EU.

A few things
    1. 21% is actually a reduced covid VAT. So will go to 23% soon.

2. NI cars are exempt. All cars in NI before 2021 exempt. All NI cars hereafter. It looks like this may be grey. Ie Can NI dealers start importing cars from UK and registering in the north for sale to here? They'll stick a nice markup on it for the pleasure. Will some of our own be getting sister companies up north?

3. There are "VAT qualifying" cars in UK. These can have VAT reclaimed on export. Think company cars or ex-hire cars, within certain parameters. These usually aren't sold direct to private sellers, but through auctions. I reckon there'll be a few traders here setting up UK companies to import these.

4. VRT is up substantially on used ICE regardless

Deal stopped any additional tariffs.
    VAT has always been chargeable on imports....

4. VRT is up substantially on used ICE regardless

It's up substantially on new ICE cars here as well. We've NEVER had a break in this country as regards motoring. Probably never will.

Great synopsis, but I'm beginning to doubt the grey NI bit. Revenue will be just happy to gouge us on new, dealers happy to gouge us on scarce used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

deezell wrote: »
    It's up substantially on new ICE cars here as well. We've NEVER had a break in this country as regards motoring. Probably never will.

Great synopsis, but I'm beginning to doubt the grey NI bit. Revenue will be just happy to gouge us on new, dealers happy to gouge us on scarce used.

the grey wont work, they are pretty clear on the video the car needs proof it was in NI before the end of 2020.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

So is the import of 21% included in the VRT calculation or separate to it?

Sorry for all the stupid questions, im very new to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

deezell wrote: »

Doubting it too. But holding out a little hope.

There is wording along the lines of (paraphrasing)
    "Cars imported from NI that were UK originally must show properly imported to NI."

I can see a time limit here a la bringing home your own car from UK up to now.
    Something like the UK car must be in NI for a year and importer in Rep must hold on to for a year.

There'll be no getting away from this ****e

Advertisement