Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

curcio1000 wrote: »
    this is my first time posting to boards.ie so please bare with me i know there was a recent hike in vrt in the new year. but why has it risen so much for example bmw 330i 2020 was 6500 now 9800 volvo s60 was 7400 now 10500 bmw m340i was 15800 now 21000 am i doing somthing wrong with my vrt calculations.

They want to discourage petrol and diesel motors. Importing hybrids and electrics attract less VRT I believe.

Little ol Ireland wants to be best in class again. This time it's trying it with electric motoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 curcio1000

thanks so much for getting back to me with informative information i see bmw and audi have upped there prices now too with a bmw 340i last year selling for 72000 now selling for 87000 delivery charges gone up also from 750 to 1000

I think the government would prefer us all on bycicles or buses.

If you live in a city now in Ireland housing will gobble up your money if you live rurally motoring will.

I'm very envious of people in other European countries who can buy nice cars at reasonable prices. There will be more old bangers on our roads making the roads less safe and higher on pollution.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭deezell

this is my first time posting to boards.ie so please bare with me i know there was a recent hike in vrt in the new year. but why has it risen so much for example bmw 330i 2020 was 6500 now 9800 volvo s60 was 7400 now 10500 bmw m340i was 15800 now 21000 am i doing somthing wrong with my vrt calculations.
    Those are all badass cars, Eamon Ryan and his pals just love putting them off the road. It's not just used imports that are hammered as you see. Now if you could get a car that runs on organic yoghurt......

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Thomasirl123

Isambard wrote: »
    no, UK VAT already paid on imports to NI from GB

Anything to back that up?

Useless had a link that implies they will have to pay vat.

• Advertisement

Will people pay the higher price or will they just go for a year or 2 older car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Anything to back that up?

Useless had a link that implies they will have to pay vat.

there may be extra VAT for a dealer to deal with when selling a GB car but it would make no sense at all to suggest there would be extra VAT payable on moving a GB car to NI. It's still the same Country.

was talking to a dealer in the north and only vat qualifying cars will make any sense but those are few and far between looked on autotrader there were 491000 cars for sale narrowed it down to vat qualifying there were 6000,

can sombody clear somthing for am vrting a car which is 136 the tax band is 18% but the calcultor is giving me 26% thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭User1998

was talking to a dealer in the north and only vat qualifying cars will make any sense but those are few and far between looked on autotrader there were 491000 cars for sale narrowed it down to vat qualifying there were 6000,

Where did you get that figure from? Theres no filter to show only VAT qualifying vehicles

• Advertisement

can sombody clear somthing for am vrting a car which is 136 the tax band is 18% but the calcultor is giving me 26% thanks.

New VRT rates and WLTP.

136 NEDC = 156 WLTP = 26% VRT

used the keywords section not perfect as your going to come across ads with non vat qualifying in the ad i suppose the only way would be to call the dealers and ask..

yes but have not all cars being using wltp for verification since 2018 the car i was looking at is 2019..

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jwmpayne2004

Just a wild question as other countries have done this before converting a left hand drive cars to right hand drive, would that be legal to do so?
    Imagine buying cars from continental Europe and have them converted. Have a lovely evening to all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Vat qualifying won't usually be sold on autotrader.
    They'll be sold at auction or straight to trade.
    Mainly fleet (old company cars, hire cars)

They are sold on Autotrader but its kind of pointless mentioning that the cars are VAT Qualifying. They get sold at auction to traders who then sell them on Autotrader. The car is still VAT qualifying once the trader who bought it is VAT registered

there may be extra VAT for a dealer to deal with when selling a GB car but it would make no sense at all to suggest there would be extra VAT payable on moving a GB car to NI. It's still the same Country.

I agree it makes no sense but all info at the moment say vat will be applied to British imports to NI. And you've not provided evidence to say otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

It's going to be like Cuba here soon for cars, hello Pedro that's a mighty fine 1956 Cadillac! Cars will be like the broom stick, it's had 3 engines and 5 gearboxes , but it's good as new...

I agree it makes no sense but all info at the moment say vat will be applied to British imports to NI. And you've not provided evidence to say otherwise.

Yes, UK vat wil be applied to imports from the UK into NI, on to a VAT free price ex the mainland. Its nonsense to imply that £100 item plus £20 UK VAT will be £144 in NI. If the goods are heading south, we'll stiff them for 21%.

well you haven't produced any evidence for what you're saying , what ever it is.

The only change I can see is the way VAT is dealt with for car dealers etc. That won't affect cars transferred from GB in general. That doesn't mean that VAT will be charged on all transfers regardless.

I can't produce evidence of something that isn't there.

• Advertisement

am getting the same on a 430i coupe was wondering have you figured out the problem as i believe all cars post september 2017 use wltp as a measure

well you haven't produced any evidence for what you're saying , what ever it is.

The only change I can see is the way VAT is dealt with for car dealers etc. That won't affect cars transferred from GB in general. That doesn't mean that VAT will be charged on all transfers regardless.

I can't produce evidence of something that isn't there.

As I said useless provided a link
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/why-northern-irish-eyes-shine-with-hope-and-fear-over-new-brexit-rules-g2hlq26tt

You see, you guess, you don't know...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

Would dealer demo cars be VAT qualifying?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭redoctober

Hi guys. Slightly off topic. Didn't see many threads on this: Would importing left hand drive from Europe be feasible in any way as an alternative to UK? Is it moot as VRT would still be the same or no?

Or will car insurance put paid to that dream anyway? Personally I wouldn't care about driving left hand drive if I could make it pay. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

digiman wrote: »
    Would dealer demo cars be VAT qualifying?

No.

yes but have not all cars being using wltp for verification since 2018 the car i was looking at is 2019..
    No they're not all using it, it seems. Check DVLA emissions data for a 2017 model, then find the same car as a 2019 model. If the emissions are the same, then its NEDC. Look up any 2019 reg and if it says "real world driving emissions - not available" then its a certainty the emissions in the v5 say the same. Look up identical cars from AutoTrader from 2017 and 2019, they might be the same, or the later one higher. Or even lower, but not as much as the formula below. Revenue here will treat everything on the v5 as NEDC, you will need the CoC for this car showing real world, otherwise they will apply the formula, for Diesel, 14% more plus an extra 18.858 mg.
    Check out these 2017 and 2019 150hp Passat examples, same car and engine. The July 2019 car is clearly the old NEDC emissions, its even lower than the 2017, probably partly because of 16" v 17" wheels.

MW17ALU
    Vehicle Details
    Vehicle make
    VOLKSWAGEN
    Date of first registration
    May 2017
    Year of manufacture
    Cylinder capacity
    1968 cc
    CO₂ emissions
    118 g/km
    Fuel type
    DIESEL
    Euro status
    Not available
    Real Driving Emissions (RDE)
    Not available

GH19HYB
    Vehicle Details
    Vehicle make
    VOLKSWAGEN
    Date of first registration
    July 2019
    Year of manufacture
    Cylinder capacity
    1968 cc
    CO₂ emissions
    111 g/km
    Fuel type
    DIESEL
    Euro status
    EURO 6 AD
    Real Driving Emissions (RDE)
    Not available

• Registered Users Posts: 10,278 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

L-M wrote: »
    No.

Care to explain why not? What non-VAT registered person will they have been sold to?

He's a dealer, you suggested all NI residents would have to pay VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom but is not part of Great Britain.

The term UK import now needs to be viewed as either a NI import or a GB import, with the latter resulting in additional VAT being applied.

NI will be importing from GB just like ROI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Reading this now, maybe we should start driving on the right.

Advertisement