Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

deezell wrote: »
    The DVLA couldn't give a monkey's once car is gone, and the revenue here have no interest in their records, they jusrt need the V5. Cancel DD. Your cousin can drop them a note saying car is exported on the sale date. if it was in his name. DVLA won't care, you might have towed it or pushed it to the ferry.

Just been on to their web chat, they can't cancel the DD until they get Section 5 back. I can't cancel the DD here in my Revolut app unless I'm missing something really stupid?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

you can send them the export section (section 5 I think) You only need the main page.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,319 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The DVLA couldn't give a monkey's once car is gone, and the revenue here have no interest in their records, they jusrt need the V5. Cancel DD. Your cousin can drop them a note saying car is exported on the sale date. if it was in his name. DVLA won't care, you might have towed it or pushed it to the ferry.

If, in order to get a new V5 issued, the OP registered the car at his cousin’s address then, irrespective of whoever’s name the car is in, a notice will issue 7 days after the expiry of the tax reminding the registered keeper that they have to either pay the tax or make a SORN. If neither is done, a fine will automatically issue and will subsequently be passed to a bailiff for collection - probably less than a month or two. The fine will be payable irrespective of whether the car has left the U.K. if the DVLA is not notified of the export (or it’s not taxed or SORN’d). The U.K. system is much more mandatory than ours. The concept of running up a few months tax before effecting a change of owner etc doesn’t work.

Eventually NDLS will notify DVLA that the car has been rereg’d but this is imperfect.

OP should notify DVLA to avoid these hassles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭deezell

He says earlier he got the v5 from the dealer, kind of mad if he didn't given the number of recent posts on this. I think he used cousin for the road tax direct debit? Definitely a bad idea to send the v5 back to DVLA for a change of ownership to a relative. The DVLA instructs dealers to hand over the v5 to export customers. If you mistakenly register a new uk addressed owner, however temporarily, you deserve all the grief you get. DO NOT leave UK without the current V5. End of.

here's the full story (instead of piecing together the snippets I've given over the last while on the thread).

dealership would not allow me to leave with the current V5C and they spouted GDPR for this as the previous owners details were on it. As a contingency plan I registered the car in my own name using my cousin's address. The dealership also would not let me take the car without taxing it, they opened up the correct gov.uk page and I filled in the form and direct debit (first payment is only £25 so I don't really mind). The DVLA sent out a new V5 address to me at that address and I have received that from my cousin. I'm now at the stage where I have a VRT appointment on Saturday and would like to cancel the UK tax and get the car on Irish plates and Irish tax.

I'll fill out section 5 (and tear it out of the v5 as it's tearable) along with a letter and post it to the DVLA. That'll sort it as far as I can see. Just didn't want any unnecessary callers to the door of my cousin's home.

• Advertisement

Idiot Dealers. If they read the DVLA website they would know to give you V5. Since when do you not get to know who owned your car. It will be on the service records ffs. If they take that attitude, then they should get a new v5 in their name on trade in, and purge service records. Some of these guys would be at home in North Korea.

Idiot Dealers. If they read the DVLA website they would know to give you V5. Since when do you not get to know who owned your car. It will be on the service records ffs. If they take that attitude, then they should get a new v5 in their name on trade in, and purge service records. Some of these guys would be at home in North Korea.

I even pointed them to the specific part of the site that said if the car is for export you must hand over the V5. Registering and using my cousins address was my Plan B.

The car was 11 months old so the original owner never got it serviced, it went through an Audi 144-point pre-owned check before I got it (which I assume is as good as a service) but there's no service stamp in the book.

Do the VRT people keep the V5C when I register it or is it mine to keep?

They keep it so make a copy

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭iggy82

Hi All, A query I hope someone can help with. I have got the v5 from the dealer but when I checked it the NOX are not filled in. Do I need to get evidence of the NOX before registering or what is the story here? If I do what is the best source for doing it?

Thanks in advance!

iggy82 wrote: »
    Hi All, A query I hope someone can help with. I have got the v5 from the dealer but when I checked it the NOX are not filled in. Do I need to get evidence of the NOX before registering or what is the story here? If I do what is the best source for doing it?

Thanks in advance!

Here
    http://www.emissionsfinder.com/
    or here
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zig2407cRrC2i6HTPlKsVQuPydMazvjM/view?usp=drivesdk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That second link is not to be relied on. It’s only a collection of various models and isn’t representative of individual cars.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That second link is not to be relied on. It’s only a collection of various models and isn’t representative of individual cars.

Maybe, but it's the one published and used by Irish revenue. Not perfect but better than a slap on the belly with a wet fish.

Maybe, but it's the one published and used by Irish revenue. Not perfect but better than a slap on the belly with a wet fish.

Thanks for this - can’t see my car listed on either so guess I’ll have to do another source. Do revenue accept a printout from these sites? I found one from DVLA in the UK but didn’t think they’d accept that.

Thanks for this - can’t see my car listed on either so guess I’ll have to do another source. Do revenue accept a printout from these sites? I found one from DVLA in the UK but didn’t think they’d accept that.
    Is that the DVLA emissions site?. Its generally accurate, but not fully populated. Some model variations not listed.

What make model and year btw?

What make model and year btw?

Xc90 B5 and 2019 reg but it’s the 2020 model

Xc90 B5 and 2019 reg but it’s the 2020 model

Is this the petrol hybrid? Nox will be trivial, but without a certified figure you'll pay the max of €600

Is this the petrol hybrid? Nox will be trivial, but without a certified figure you'll pay the max of €600

No Diesel Mild Hybrid so think I’ll get the full diesel whack if I don’t have evidence - it should only be 40mg NOX.

As the car is Euro 6 standard, if its petrol, max Nox is 60, so its €300, if its Diesel, max Nox is 80, so capped at €600. It could be a lot lower than 80, but you'd want to chase Volvo for a manufacturer spec. and exact figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you buy a car based on what’s in there and it turns out the actual figure is way higher then it’s not much use.

• Advertisement

As the car is Euro 6 standard, if its petrol, max Nox is 60, so its €300, if its Diesel, max Nox is 80, so capped at €600. It could be a lot lower than 80, but you'd want to chase Volvo for a manufacturer spec. and exact figure.

Thanks deezell - I’ll get on to Volvo and hopefully they will be able to provide the necessary paperwork.

Thanks deezell - I’ll get on to Volvo and hopefully they will be able to provide the necessary paperwork.

Revenue has these two identical entries, line 18735, and 18736, up to end of april 2019. That should make it the D5, but these are mild hybrid diesel, which suggests they're the B5, as D5 didn't have this engine. It doesnt matter, if this matches the power unit in yours, revenue will use this entry, with Nox of 9, nox tax will be €45

VOLVO XC90 2.0 TD DIESEL/PLUG-IN ELECTRIC Automatic 1969 T8 R-DESIGN TWIN ENGINE 5DR AU 49 20140901 20190430 9 €45

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Hoolies

Will a "unused" 2019 car with l~600 miles be subjected to additional VRT charges? Someone told me that cars under a certain mileage will be treated as new by the revenue. Does anyone know if this correct?

Hoolies wrote: »
    Will a "unused" 2019 car with l~600 miles be subjected to additional VRT charges? Someone told me that cars under a certain mileage will be treated as new by the revenue. Does anyone know if this correct?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hoolies wrote: »

It needs to have at least 6000 km on it and be at least 6 months old otherwise Revenue treat it as brand new and charge VAT on top of VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ShaneS2a

Hi All, i’m wondering if anyone has any experience with below as I can’t seem to find a definite answer yet. I’m buying a car in the UK soon. I have been looking at one which was first registered in UK on 7/10/19 so it won’t be six months old until 7/04/2020.

If I paid for the car now and collected it on 10/04/2020, would I be charged VAT? Or does it need to be 7 months old?

Also, is the age of the car determined by the invoice date or the date the car is brought into Ireland?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭brimeh

ShaneS2a wrote: »
    Hi All, i’m wondering if anyone has any experience with below as I can’t seem to find a definite answer yet. I’m buying a car in the UK soon. I have been looking at one which was first registered in UK on 7/10/19 so it won’t be six months old until 7/04/2020.

If I paid for the car now and collected it on 10/04/2020, would I be charged VAT? Or does it need to be 7 months old?

Also, is the age of the car determined by the invoice date or the date the car is brought into Ireland?

Thanks.

From Revenue:

6.3 Purchase Invoices
    It should be noted that in calculating the length of time since first registration in another MS, the critical date is the date on which the vehicle was supplied in the other MS, i.e. the date of the purchase invoice.

Delaying registration in the State until six months or more after entry into service does not remove the liability to VAT. It is the date of supply and not the date of declaration that determines liability to VAT and, where possible, customers should be advised accordingly.

Found this here: https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/vehicle-registration-tax/vrt-manual-section-01.pdf

Not 100% sure that is the most up to date PDF but the is information from page 24/25.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

ShaneS2a wrote: »

Thanks.

As soon as the car is 6 months + 1 day old at the date of your VRT appointment you won't pay Vat(assuming the mileage is over 6000km)

The age is as per the first registered date on the V5

• Registered Users Posts: 10,319 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

michellie wrote: »
    As soon as the car is 6 months + 1 day old at the date of your VRT appointment you won't pay Vat(assuming the mileage is over 6000km)

The age is as per the first registered date on the V5

That is the practice of NCTS but is contrary to EU law and should not be relied upon. EU law treats the supply as occurring at the latest on the physical supply of the goods (generally outside the state). There is no guarantee that the incorrect practice won’t be overturned on a later date. You should not have the goods before 6 months from the V5 registration date if you want to ensure Irish VAT is not chargeable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

So I've been thinking of going from e91 330d to a facelift e91 335d lately, so 2008. They're cheap enough in the UK, can get one for about 5k sterling. With VRT and this new Nox charge it's another 4k! Obviously that's a definate no, 10k+ for an old diesel. I don't mind buying a high miler or a damaged repairable to get the charges down...or is this even a thing anymore? Is it just a no go now importing older diesels from the UK?

Literally no wagons for sale on this island, all saloons or coupe's.

Advertisement