Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

User1998 wrote: »
    They’d look at the registered owner’s address. Both current and previous owner address is visible on the v5

The date of sale/transfer and the Registered Keeper's address is on the V5C (or V5C NI), but the previous Registered Keeper no longer appears on V5Cs issued since 2018 when GDPR kicked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Pentax

Below is for Pentax. Masterboy you can work out your own if you plug in your own figures

VAT is based on the purchase price + shipping

€28,000 + say €400 for shipping
    = €28,400
    x 10% customs (€2,840)
    €31,240
    x 21% VAT (€6,560)
    €37,800
    + VRT (€6,500)
    €44,300
    + Customs broker/Port charges (€250)
    €44,550
    + Tax/NCT (€150)
    €44,700

I honestly don’t know if the 10% customs applies here. It does when importing cars from outside the EU. Other posters are saying 7% but when I import cars I pay 10%. If not just remove the 10% part and re calculate

Hi User1998,

Thanks for the very detailed breakdown. I think its fair to say buying in the UK is a non-runner now.

Thanks for clearing up the VAT question. I knew last year it was applied to all new cars less than 6 months old. Given that the UK was part of the EU last year, has the VAT not already been paid? and if so why are we been asked to pay it again?

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 10,278 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Brewster wrote: »
    This is looking like it. As car was built in Germany (EU origin) ultimately I don’t think the customs will apply. However, everyone is still confused. At first revenue circular said customs wouldn’t apply, then on Thursday circular seemed to change to say customs would apply. So I wouldn’t be buying anything for the moment unless it’s from an Irish dealer.

Likely to be the same issue as M&S's Percy Pigs (which are made in Germany). The limited trade agreement provides for nil customs duty on goods imported from the UK which are UK sourced based on origin rules. Cars were one of the big points, i.e. ensuring that a sufficient level of the components were UK origin. It seems that no express consideration of EU origin items which might be imported via the UK (such as the Percy Pigs or BMWs) or EU originated components.

I expect they will seek to amend the trade agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,961 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

vintagevrs wrote: »
    What do you mean?

I mean we're already hearing countless stories of people buying something on ebay uk for example. Paying 30 euros for something, but then the revenue/customs come out with, jazus that nice, must be worth 240.. vat on 240 please.

I mean wtf? That's theft , vat should be on the money you spent, not on what some Irish carrot crunching guy thinks it's worth.

Below is for Pentax. Masterboy you can work out your own if you plug in your own figures

VAT is based on the purchase price + shipping

€28,000 + say €400 for shipping
    = €28,400
    x 10% customs (€2,840)
    €31,240
    x 21% VAT (€6,560)
    €37,800
    + VRT (€6,500)
    €44,300
    + Customs broker/Port charges (€250)
    €44,550
    + Tax/NCT (€150)
    €44,700

I honestly don’t know if the 10% customs applies here. It does when importing cars from outside the EU. Other posters are saying 7% but when I import cars I pay 10%. If not just remove the 10% part and re calculate

I call Bull on this. Vat is on whatever the carrot cruncher wants it to be,, '' jazus that's a nice car, leather WOW, must be worth 60k that car'' VAT PLEASE ON 60K.!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭User1998

Pentax wrote: »
    Hi User1998,

Thanks for the very detailed breakdown. I think its fair to say buying in the UK is a non-runner now.

Thanks for clearing up the VAT question. I knew last year it was applied to all new cars less than 6 months old. Given that the UK was part of the EU last year, has the VAT not already been paid? and if so why are we been asked to pay it again?

Thank you

No problem and regarding the VAT, I honestly I don’t know. A lot of people are bringing up that argument and it makes sense but I’m just going off what is on the Revenue website. Maybe in a few weeks your argument regarding the VAT will come true. For now we just have to wait and see.

I call Bull on this. Vat is on whatever the carrot cruncher wants it to be,, '' jazus that's a nice car, leather WOW, must be worth 60k that car'' VAT PLEASE ON 60K.!

Nope. Unlike VRT, VAT is always based on the purchase price, be it a pair of shoes you buy from the USA, or electronic goods from China, or a car you buy in the UK, VAT is always based on the price you paid. How much the item is actually worth here in Ireland has no bearing on the VAT payable.

VRT is the opposite, VRT is based on what Revenue deem is the value of the car. It doesn’t matter if you got the car for free or paid over the odds for it, the VRT will be the same. Which is what you are referring to in your argument.

Nope. Unlike VRT, VAT is always based on the purchase price, be it a pair of shoes you buy from the USA, or electronic goods from China, or a car you buy in the UK, VAT is always based on the price you paid. How much the item is actually worth here in Ireland has no bearing on the VAT payable.

VRT is the opposite, VRT is based on what Revenue deem is the value of the car. It doesn’t matter if you got the car for free or paid over the odds for it, the VRT will be the same. Which is what you are referring to in your argument.

Then what is going on. There was a post here , a guy spent 30 euros on something, and then had it valued at 150.00 and parcel was held at ransom until he paid courier.

Are these couriers on the take????? Is this a scam on their part, the drivers part. I can see how some will use this as an opportunity to rip off the clueless. But as far as I know, it's the revenue coming up with valuations of items that cost 30, but they claim it's worth 150 plus.
    THEFT.

Seriously VAT isn’t a new concept its been around for over 50 years. When you go into a shop and buy something you pay VAT on the purchase price not how much its worth.

Those stories your talking about never happened and you couldn’t be any more wrong with your argument

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Farneyboy

I’m planning on moving back home to Ireland after 10 years living in London. I know that I should be exempt from VRT by having the car for at least 6 months in my name but does anyone know if I now have to pay VAT on my car at point of entry? I’m trying to figure it out but it is quite confusing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

looking at the customs again, uk is zero for duty, if uk origin, so for instance a mini is zero ?

Thereafter it's about getting the vat off which limits you to b c a or the like.

Apart from that it's paperwork?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Farneyboy wrote: »
    I’m planning on moving back home to Ireland after 10 years living in London. I know that I should be exempt from VRT by having the car for at least 6 months in my name but does anyone know if I now have to pay VAT on my car at point of entry? I’m trying to figure it out but it is quite confusing.

TOR (transfer of residency) is what it’s called. Unless it’s chAnged in the last week or so you’ll still qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Thomasirl123

Title needs to be changed to the vague guide 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 10,278 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Farneyboy wrote: »

There is a transfer of residence relief for customs duty and VAT which is in almost identical terms to the VRT one, ie own six months before.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭francis1978

Good morning everyone,

I like a lot of people am finding it hard to navigate the current VRT scenario and am looking for some guidance as follows;
    I have seen a car that meets my requirements, the car is NI reg (always been on NI plates) and is in Belfast, its a 2018 Reg Volvo estate, 43000 miles, C02 is 127 and NOx is 0.039. I have used the VRT Calculator and it advises as follows; NOx levy E 195 and VRT E 6,361 so all in E 6,556. Can you anyone advise if VAT and customs is payable on top of this fee and if so approximately how much it should be.

Thanks in advance

Look at my VAT and customs calculation a few posts back.

Neither will apply to you as the car is NI registered

• Registered Users Posts: 21,930 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

[QUOTE=User1998;115872986]Nope. Unlike VRT, VAT is always based on the purchase price, be it a pair of shoes you buy from the USA, or electronic goods from China, or a car you buy in the UK, VAT is always based on the price you paid. How much the item is actually worth here in Ireland has no bearing on the VAT payable.

VRT is the opposite, VRT is based on what Revenue deem is the value of the car. It doesn’t matter if you got the car for free or paid over the odds for it, the VRT will be the same. Which is what you are referring to in your argument.[/QUOTE]
    SO , having imporyed a suburban from the US, this is false information.
    VAT is charged on import, and is charged on purchase price plus trucking to the port plus shipping costs to Dublin.

ELM327 wrote: »
    SO , having imporyed a suburban from the US, this is false information.
    VAT is charged on import, and is charged on purchase price plus trucking to the port plus shipping costs to Dublin.

Yes ELM if you went back one page and actually read my previous posts you’ll see I give a much more detailed description and explain exactly what you just said. Explaining it all over and over is a bit of a mouthful so I just said purchase price for short to try explain to the poster that VAT isn’t based on the value that Revenue deem something to be like VRT is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Some of the posters here have stated they are being charged customs higher than the purchase price.
    Is this because the value stated on the customs declaration is higher than was actually paid.
    This can happen on a rare 2nd hand item for insurance reasons for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Good morning everyone,

I like a lot of people am finding it hard to navigate the current VRT scenario and am looking for some guidance as follows;
    I have seen a car that meets my requirements, the car is NI reg (always been on NI plates) and is in Belfast, its a 2018 Reg Volvo estate, 43000 miles, C02 is 127 and NOx is 0.039. I have used the VRT Calculator and it advises as follows; NOx levy E 195 and VRT E 6,361 so all in E 6,556. Can you anyone advise if VAT and customs is payable on top of this fee and if so approximately how much it should be.

Thanks in advance

NI car....no VAT no Excise duty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,930 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Some of the posters here have stated they are being charged customs higher than the purchase price.
    Is this because the value stated on the customs declaration is higher than was actually paid.
    This can happen on a rare 2nd hand item for insurance reasons for example.
    Its most likely because no invoice was included and the customs official googled a similar item and took that price

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Tomal

Isambard wrote: »
    NI car....no VAT no Excise duty.

But if a NI car ever registered or owned in mainland UK then Import duty and VAT to be paid if buying and bringing into ROI. Yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Tomal wrote: »
    But if a NI car ever registered or owned in mainland UK then Import duty and VAT to be paid if buying and bringing into ROI. Yes?

possibly VAT but that's not the case with this enquiry.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 irishuser2222

Hello,

I have a query on VRT. I purchased a BMW 330e (plug in hybrid) 2017 MSport with 28K miles in December 2020 (Delivered to Republic date in December 2020). This car was bought from a NI dealer but they brought the car in from mainland GB. Looking at the updated revenue website seems to confirm as before 01 Jan 21 that no additional VAT or customs will be sought on this?

I did the VRT calculation on this in December 2020 and was coming out approx 1100 euro. I have done it now and it's coming out around 1736 euro. I thought if anything it would be even cheaper as the car would be a year older. Any ideas on this? The emissions are 49 for CO2 which seems it should be calculated at 7% but the calculator online is using 9%. Any other changes on plug ins or anything I should be aware of? Due to VRT's booking I wasn't able to book an appointment until 23rd Jan 2021, any leverage here in that if they could supply enough appointments I would have been charged on previous rate?

https://www.vrt.ie/faq/budget-2021-vehicle-registration-tax/

You’ll have to pay the new rate and try appeal it afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

Tomal wrote: »

If registered in the North before 2021 then no duty

masit wrote: »
    If registered in the North before 2021 then no duty

VAT?

What does registered in NI mean too. Does it have to get NI plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

https://www.vrt.ie/faq/budget-2021-vehicle-registration-tax/

You’ll have to pay the new rate and try appeal it afterwards

Yep. And I appreciate it's gone up. But really not by much in the scheme of things. There's cars gone up thousands

Appeal on date. And appeal if you can prove OMSV too high.

Make sure you appeal within 30 days

• Registered Users Posts: 20 irishuser2222

Thanks.

I understand now why the live calculator is working at 9% instead of 7%. The VRT was 1100 in 2020 and 1750 in 2021 so that increase alone doesn't justify the calculation. So for some reason the OMSV must also be higher in 2021 instead of 2020. What could cause that if the car is just older?

In general, what grounds do you have for appeal if you can prove car purchased in 2020 and VRT were not even taking bookings then (due to their issues I guess, covid or otherwise)

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

In general, what grounds do you have for appeal if you can prove car purchased in 2020 and VRT were not even taking bookings then (due to their issues I guess, covid or otherwise)

Thanks

We're all just guessing tbh. The new VRT rates is an unusual situation.
    You appeal showing you tried to book in 2020 but they couldn't accommodate you.

I doubt the OMSV has gone up.
    It's done by a formula.
    Get original price, subtract a percentage for car leaving forecourt, then depreciate the car by set percentage per annum over the 12 months.
    If anything OMSV should have a monthore depreciation

You keep the old calc?
    It does seem to be a higher OMSV maybe 3000 more??
    Like with like? One an msport?

Advertisement