Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

So I've been thinking of going from e91 330d to a facelift e91 335d lately, so 2008. They're cheap enough in the UK, can get one for about 5k sterling. With VRT and this new Nox charge it's another 4k! Obviously that's a definate no, 10k+ for an old diesel. I don't mind buying a high miler or a damaged repairable to get the charges down...or is this even a thing anymore? Is it just a no go now importing older diesels from the UK?

Literally no wagons for sale on this island, all saloons or coupe's.

High Milage reduction will be minimal, 100's not 1000's. Damage will invoke the condition discount on the OMSP, and proportionately the VRT, but, , , as far as Nox us concerned, the song remains the same. If you have a Nox of 120+, you're looking at €1600+ for the Nox alone, all the way to 4 grand ceiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Marcusm wrote: »
    That is the practice of NCTS but is contrary to EU law and should not be relied upon. EU law treats the supply as occurring at the latest on the physical supply of the goods (generally outside the state). There is no guarantee that the incorrect practice won’t be overturned on a later date. You should not have the goods before 6 months from the V5 registration date if you want to ensure Irish VAT is not chargeable.

Hasn't changed in the 10 years I've been dealing with it Deezell. And it's not Ncts practice, it's revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,560 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Had my appointment today.

VRT: €7336
    NOx: €0060
    Plates: €025

€7421 all in. My credit card feels much lighter now, but car looks the part on Irish plates and still a saving of €7-8k from buying a similar specced car here.

Thank you to everyone who gave me advice on these threads over the last few weeks, hopefully I can pass on some help to new buyers in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

deezell wrote: »
    High Milage reduction will be minimal, 100's not 1000's. Damage will invoke the condition discount on the OMSP, and proportionately the VRT, but, , , as far as Nox us concerned, the song remains the same. If you have a Nox of 120+, you're looking at €1600+ for the Nox alone, all the way to 4 grand ceiling.

Yeah but the OMSP on a 2008 335d is €56,113.

Like...how?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭brimeh

Had my appointment today.

VRT: €7336
    NOx: €0060
    Plates: €025

€7421 all in. My credit card feels much lighter now, but car looks the part on Irish plates and still a saving of €7-8k from buying a similar specced car here.

Thank you to everyone who gave me advice on these threads over the last few weeks, hopefully I can pass on some help to new buyers in the coming weeks.

How accurate was what you paid vs the online VRT calculator?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

michellie wrote: »
    Hasn't changed in the 10 years I've been dealing with it Deezell. And it's not Ncts practice, it's revenue.

I’m not Deezell and it is faulty NCTS practice not Revenue. The appropriate Revenue treatment is as cited earlier and published at para 6.3 of the relevant section of Revenue’s manual, again as cited earlier and linked. Clearly NCTS does not follow this.

I’m not Deezell and it is faulty NCTS practice not Revenue. The appropriate Revenue treatment is as cited earlier and published at para 6.3 of the relevant section of Revenue’s manual, again as cited earlier and linked. Clearly NCTS does not follow this.

😬😬😬

Yeah but the OMSP on a 2008 335d is €56,113.

Like...how?

That's original new price OMSP, the calculator will reduce that for age and mileage, the reduction for condition is determined on inspection, but I've no experience of how bad condition is determined, or how much extra OMSP is discounted. I suppose if you presented a car with a beat up wing and door, that would count as poor. Don't forget invoice price will reflect the quality of your purchase, lest you be tempted to stick some crumpled parts on for inspection, (which I bet has been tried).
    Anyway, depreciation for this car is about 95%, VRT rate is 30% , so VRT is less than €1000 based on your new OMSP. Nox emissions are 194mg, making Nox charge of €3450, so total charges with import costs over 4 and a half grand. Obviously, if you got the car free, it would still not be worth it.

brimeh wrote: »

100% accurate if you use stat code 45786803, 11,000 miles, Nox of 12mg and say april 2019 reg you get exactly same figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Here we go again.

I'm not getting into this ****e, but just so you know the VRT process is simply done in the Nct centres. Every part of the process is done with Revenues system and rules. Nct do not change anything. But whatever, keep thinking what you want :)

• Advertisement

100% spot on unfortunately, was hoping for it to be wrong in my favour lol

• Registered Users Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

That's original new price OMSP, the calculator will reduce that for age and mileage, the reduction for condition is determined on inspection, but I've no experience of how bad condition is determined, or how much extra OMSP is discounted. I suppose if you presented a car with a beat up wing and door, that would count as poor. Don't forget invoice price will reflect the quality of your purchase, lest you be tempted to stick some crumpled parts on for inspection, (which I bet has been tried).
    Anyway, depreciation for this car is about 95%, VRT rate is 30% , so VRT is less than €1000 based on your new OMSP. Nox emissions are 194mg, making Nox charge of €3450, so total charges with import costs over 4 and a half grand. Obviously, if you got the car free, it would still not be worth it.

Thanks for this post. Very detailed. And you’re right, it’s not worth importing at all now. The days of old diesels seem gone. I’ll stick with the 330 for another while.

Here we go again.

I'm not getting into this ****e, but just so you know the VRT process is simply done in the Nct centres. Every part of the process is done with Revenues system and rules. Nct do not change anything. But whatever, keep thinking what you want :)

I'm the real Deezel, and I get why @michellie though it was I who was going on about VAT liability dates, as I had argued about this before, but I'm on the same page now. The Vat rules Marcusm quotes are probably correct, but there is a difference with car imports. A UK registered car is still a uk car right up to the moment it appears at the NCT office. It can be driven around Ireland legally as a visiting vehicle, and has the option to return to the UK at any point before the limit of the 30 days expires. It only becomes an import when presented to the NCT office.
    On the other hands a crate of goods destined for sale or consumption here is liable for VAT at point of import, as no such arrangement exists for visiting goods, other than those owned by the visitor.
    There is no requirement anymore to obtain an export certificate when importing a uk car. The car is still a uk car when it gets here. This gives the potential importer the option if taking it back to the UK, without which you might be liable for Vat and VRT even if you decided not to keep it. Things might change post Brexit. A car destined for import will be liable for vat, and may have to be surrendered at the port on entry, until it is paid.
    Something like that anyway!

100% spot on unfortunately, was hoping for it to be wrong in my favour lol

That's a shame, I'd be hoping too!
    100% accurate if you use stat code 45786803, 11,000 miles, Nox of 12mg and say april 2019 reg you get exactly same figure.

Can it be affected by having a lower trim level than what the calculator allows? For example looking at BMW M140's they only let you calculate a shadow edition, so would I be right in hoping that the VRT would be lower upon inspection? (When presenting a regular, non shadow edition car)

That's a shame, I'd be hoping too!

Can it be affected by having a lower trim level than what the calculator allows? For example looking at BMW M140's they only let you calculate a shadow edition, so would I be right in hoping that the VRT would be lower upon inspection? (When presenting a regular, non shadow edition car)

Yes, all other things being correct, engine. fuel, transmission, etc, if the variant of your car is not listed, not having been imported previously, the revenue will research the original OMSP for that car. If it is lower than the other variants on the calculator, and if the model name printed on the V5 matches that variant name then you're in business. There can indeed be big differences. Run a caluculation on the newest mercedes C220 D, compare version D Sport to Bluetech Sport , there's a grand extra VRT for that word Bluetech on a 2018 car. I can't see what the extra grand is for when looking at the cars for sale. Don't forget that added extras not part of a version base spec, say lane assist, sunroof, Led lights, can attract extra OMSP on inspection, though how hard the inspector looks these days I don't know. On my first inspection eleven years ago they were less busy and more forensic, especially for leather seats, sat nav, sunroof, etc, and would up the OMSP.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Keep in mind, there are anomalies in the system where a high spec car can be cheap VRT and then a lower spec one is calculated to be more.

Yes, all other things being correct, engine. fuel, transmission, etc, if the variant of your car is not listed, not having been imported previously, the revenue will research the original OMSP for that car. If it is lower than the other variants on the calculator, and if the model name printed on the V5 matches that variant name then you're in business. There can indeed be big differences. Run a caluculation on the newest mercedes C220 D, compare version D Sport to Bluetech Sport , there's a grand extra VRT for that word Bluetech on a 2018 car. I can't see what the extra grand is for when looking at the cars for sale. Don't forget that added extras not part of a version base spec, say lane assist, sunroof, Led lights, can attract extra OMSP on inspection, though how hard the inspector looks these days I don't know. On my first inspection eleven years ago they were less busy and more forensic, especially for leather seats, sat nav, sunroof, etc, and would up the OMSP.

This is also true on Golf R’s where if you select the model with BMT (even though they all seem to have Bluemotion Tech) it is over a grand cheaper to VRT than if you choose the model that doesn’t say BMT.

I’m looking at cars without many extras as sunroofs etc didn’t seem to be too popular and they weren’t specced that well I think due to being close in price to the luxury car tax in the UK.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Keep in mind, there are anomalies in the system where a high spec car can be cheap VRT and then a lower spec one is calculated to be more.

Had thought that might be the case and knowing my luck probably would be for the car I’m after! Though when there aren’t many in the country would it be safe to assume they would base any OMSP on UK prices? Or is that also wishful thinking?

Had thought that might be the case and knowing my luck probably would be for the car I’m after! Though when there aren’t many in the country would it be safe to assume they would base any OMSP on UK prices? Or is that also wishful thinking?
    Dream on!

Dream on!

Figures!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Here we go again.

Except we are speaking about VAT and not VRT.

Figures!!

Speaking of figures, by far the greatest saving you can make is to grab your Sterling now, the rate on Revolut is almost 91 pence to the euro, compared to 82.7 exactly a month ago. A £15,000 purchase costs, €16488, a saving of €1643 compared to paying €18,131 four weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Tabby McTat

Hi all. Thought I'd share my experience of buying a car in the UK. Bought a 2016 E220 estate AMG from a main dealer in Warrington at the end of January. As has been mentioned many times here already, a lot of the main dealers won't allow you take the V5C with you, and my garage was no different. Slight fly in the ointment for me - when putting the deposit down I gave a random UK address...was told I needed this to secure the car. I advised them a good few times that when I was buying the car I would give them a different address. On the day I went along with my buddy's address in London but before I know it the garage had already taxed the car, using the dodgy address!!!
    When I realized this, the garage didn't want any more involvement, said it was up to me to sort. I kicked up a fair old fuss and the garage agreed to send a covering letter to the DVLA with the new, correct address.
    The DVLA were really helpful the whole way along. I found their webchat functionality really good. The original logbook was sent out to the dodgy address 3 weeks after I picked up the car. With the correct logbook issuing to my friends probably 10 days later. All told I was 3 weeks late (7 weeks after date of import) by the time I registered. My late fee was €211 but the lady in the VRT office told me to appeal this online as I was waiting for my logbook to arrive.
    The process definitely wasn't as straightforward as the previous time I imported but it all worked out in the end and I have a lovely motor now!

Also, about 2 weeks ago, I parked up at work in Swords around 730am and a Revenue 4x4 pulled up beside me. Wanted to see all my documents...I was able to show them the VRT appointment and my insurance etc. But they were on to me...

Speaking of figures, by far the greatest saving you can make is to grab your Sterling now, the rate on Revolut is almost 91 pence to the euro, compared to 82.7 exactly a month ago. A £15,000 purchase costs, €16488, a saving of €1643 compared to paying €18,131 four weeks ago.

*Cries into his supermarket own brand cornflakes :(*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Haven't being following the import side of things since before Xmas but just wanted to ask are we paying VAT now that Brexit has happened on anything that comes in ? Have an itch for a clio 182 or Fiesta St, just something for under £2k.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

No vat yet, but new nox charge kinda ruins things a bit for cheap cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

colm_mcm wrote: »
    No vat yet, but new nox charge kinda ruins things a bit for cheap cars.

€185 on a clio sport 182 which doesn't seem that bad tbh.

Haven't being following the import side of things since before Xmas but just wanted to ask are we paying VAT now that Brexit has happened on anything that comes in ? Have an itch for a clio 182 or Fiesta St, just something for under £2k.

Yes, an itchy Clio is annoying alright, but there's no Vat on it yet. Nox on the 182hp 2.l engine is €185, VRT on a 2006 example is 34% of €2000 OMSP, so total tax is €865. So add on the price of the UK car, and see is it worth it, and get some Canesten for the itch.

I have done so with half of what I'm guessing I'll need so made a bit of a saving - hoping that it'll continue in the same direction and I'll get a bit more of a discount on the second half.

Basing this off exactly zero knowledge of currency markets though.

• Advertisement

Btw, revenue VRT site is now showing VRT and Nox charges seperatly, then totalled, the Nox based on your own input figures, not their published spreadsheet. Be sure to have a statement of Nox from somewhere reliable before importing, V5 preferably, or find your car's Nox on the revenue's own labyrinthine sheet.

Advertisement