Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭93Cab

Seems to be €2kish but would have to check it’s an NI car as it’s from a garage who put there own plates on every car

their own plates!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Tomal

Just wondering VRT on a 2000 BMW 4.2 E46 M3. Any one have any experience on this as cannot even get close on VRT calculator. Thanks

93Cab wrote: »
    Seems to be €2kish but would have to check it’s an NI car as it’s from a garage who put there own plates on every car

Rang garage! English reg! Guy didn’t know anything about duty and VAT!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Tomal wrote: »
    Just wondering VRT on a 2000 BMW 4.2 E46 M3. Any one have any experience on this as cannot even get close on VRT calculator. Thanks

Just find one equivalent here on Carzone/DD, and call it 37% of that - that's as close as you'll get for now for VRT.

Don't forget the 10% Customs and 21% VAT on the purchase price as well.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I guess tax books are valuable things now. Just change the plates and drive on. Will be a lot of that going on here on out.

until your first NCT that is..............

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pale rider

93Cab wrote: »
    I’m probably mean by nature but I just can’t stomach paying the revenue €6.5k for the privilege of buying a car which is located roughly 12 miles from me...

Me too, I brought in an 18 e220D last March from NI, VRT was €5300, if I brought in the same car ( now it’s a year older ) it’s €8600 before customs duty/vat.

Hard to swallow for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sirlampsalot

when taking a car through from England,does it have to be vrt within 30 days even if its not on the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

In short - yes. You cannot bring it over and register it months later, even if it off the road.
    Contact VRT and tell them you want it off the road and begin the process anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

I am about to get a car I just bought from Northern Ireland through the VRT this week and is there anything else I need to do in advance of the VRT appointment now after Brexit?

I did this previously a few years ago and I just needed the documents etc. but no other details were needed.

I see on the VRT FAQ they are talking about a EORI number needed but I think this is for traders only and not private buyers?

I am also thinking that because my vehicle was imported into Northern Ireland before the 31st Dec 2020 I only need to pay VRT and there would be no customs duty or VAT applied?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭User1998

You only need an EORI number if you have to pay vat and customs

User1998 wrote: »
    You only need an EORI number if you have to pay vat and customs

I have a used vehicle invoice from the dealer showing the date in 2020 when he purchased it and his address is in Northern Ireland so I take it that is sufficient to show at the VRT appointment and no Duty or VAT will be payable?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

reni10 wrote: »
    I have a used vehicle invoice from the dealer showing the date in 2020 when he purchased it and his address is in Northern Ireland so I take it that is sufficient to show at the VRT appointment and no Duty or VAT will be payable?

sounds like you'll be Ok, hope so, hard to be sure of anything just now.

Not necessarily, it might have been paid for in 2020 but the car could have stayed in the UK until last week for all you know? You don’t exactly have proof that the car wasn’t imported after brexit. Thread carefully

Not necessarily, it might have been paid for in 2020 but the car could have stayed in the UK until last week for all you know? You don’t exactly have proof that the car wasn’t imported after brexit. Thread carefully

The car was posted for sale in NI in 2020 online and the invoice to the dealer has his address in NI so what other "proof" can there be?

The car was posted for sale in NI in 2020 online and the invoice to the dealer has his address in NI so what other "proof" can there be?

On the revenue website it says proof like a shipping manifest or an invoice. I'm not sure if there is a very strict set of documents required or if its a matter of providing enough evidence to satisfy the assessor.

I think they have to be fair and reasonable, this is all new and the motor dealers would not have known back in 2020 what documents they should have kept on file.

I understand that, but I’ve bought cars from the UK and didn’t have them delivered until 6 months later. I’m just saying, an invoice isn’t proof of entry into the state. From Revenues point of view, the car could still be in the UK right now, getting engine or bodywork repair, etc etc.

Technically, proof is a shipping document or ferry ticket, which it seems you don’t have.

The VRT people may give leeway, I’m not sure. Hopefully they do

The VRT inspection offices offer advice as part of the service try provide. You can turn up and ask any questions you have and get clarification on what is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

I understand that, but I’ve bought cars from the UK and didn’t have them delivered until 6 months later. I’m just saying, an invoice isn’t proof of entry into the state. From Revenues point of view, the car could still be in the UK right now, getting engine or bodywork repair, etc etc.

Technically, proof is a shipping document or ferry ticket, which it seems you don’t have.

The VRT people may give leeway, I’m not sure. Hopefully they do

I don't think proof that the car was purchased in 2020 will be enough. It may have been purchased with no intention to bring it into NI, with the new owner subsequently spotting an opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

any point bringing in a 2010 x5 at the moment from NI?

• Advertisement

No, Nox is too high

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Is there any way to verify if a dealer had the car in NI before the 31st of December. Theres a few nice cars up north but i dont want to be stung with import duty on it.

Vicxas wrote: »
    Is there any way to verify if a dealer had the car in NI before the 31st of December. Theres a few nice cars up north but i dont want to be stung with import duty on it.

If you have a car in mind go into the VRT Inspection office and ask them what they need. Then Ask the Dealer if he has that documentation. Anything else is too risky.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Cavanbhoy

Hi what is the position about buying a new car of a dealer in Ni now is there vrt,nox, vat is there any other charges and is it different if purchasing from uk dealer. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Cavanbhoy wrote: »
    Hi what is the position about buying a new car of a dealer in Ni now is there vrt,nox, vat is there any other charges and is it different if purchasing from uk dealer. Thanks

Are you talking about a brand new car? If it is new then you will have to pay VRT, NOX and VAT.

If it is a used car then you only pay VRT and NOX charge. No VAT applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Pops_20 wrote: »
    Are you talking about a brand new car? If it is new then you will have to pay VRT, NOX and VAT.

If it is a used car then you only pay VRT and NOX charge. No VAT applies.

If new, can it be bought in NI at ex vat price? Then, the ROI vat would be levied on the ex vat price, then plus VRT/nox?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Dr Dave

Just a thought.
    A classic car >30 years old (that's 1991 BTW!!!), costs €200 VRT to import.
    So, would it be the case that one from NI would only be the VRT and one from the UK (not NI) would have customs and Vat as well?

Thinking about this, is the NOx charge payable on such a classic,> 30 years old?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Just stuck a 2017 F10 520d through the calcualtor.
    Coming up at 7% band.
    CO2 is 119g so I'm assuming this is completely wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭deezell

Just stuck a 2017 F10 520d through the calcualtor.
    Coming up at 7% band.
    CO2 is 119g so I'm assuming this is completely wrong

Probably. What stat code is the calculation showing..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Redid it a few times after
    Picked the different "F10 msport" options
    Found one showing CO2 of 119 so WLTP 148 and 21%
    Slightly lower OMSP then above

So 5600 plus the NOX
    That looks right

This was the wrong one

Got another higher one but had the CO2 at 139g.....maybe older F10?

Advertisement