Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamonn Ryan Green Party

Options
  • 24-02-2020 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭

Anybody see his interview on Tv3 the other morning. Said a rural village of 300 people should share 30 cars between them to commute to work, and this lad driving to work in a 2.5 Ltr Diesel Volkswagen :pac:

Give me strength. Away with the fairies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Anybody see his interview on Tv3 the other morning. Said a rural village of 300 people should share 30 cars between them to commute to work, and this lad driving to work in a 2.5 Ltr Diesel Volkswagen :pac:

LOL! are you serios? he actually drives a diesel? with the bloody money that hypocrite is on, you'd think he would get a Tesla long range or whatever, if he does need something with serious range for drives. Those in the dail claiming mileage, should only be allowed do so now for electric in my opinion. They are creaming it off claiming on the diesel and mileage...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

First Oct 10, 2019
    Green Party leader Eamon Ryan has suggested that a village of 300 people needs just 30 cars to operate.

“We don’t all need to own a car. Most of our cars are sitting in a car park for 95 per cent of the time,” he said.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/green-party-leader-calls-for-car-pooling-scheme-for-rural-ireland-1.4046585

Then Oct 11th 2019
    'We deeply regret the hurt this has caused': Eamon Ryan says he does not want to restrict cars in rural Ireland
    The Green Party does not stand for restricting car ownership, and to state otherwise is a huge misrepresentation of the party position and of Eamon’s comments.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/car-pooling-eamon-ryan-4847511-Oct2019/

Muppets

• Registered Users Posts: 18,591 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Eamon Ryan and to a lesser extent Saoirse McHugh are toxic to the Green Party and cost them allot of votes in the election.

With the global green wave you’d expect the greens to be in the top three parties but in reality while they did increase seats they are poorly represented with seats.

Eamon’s talk of carpooling and releasing wolves made him toxic in rural Ireland. Saoirse just comes across as a stoner with no real grasp on reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

Maybe he should focus his ire on the SUV drivers in the south of the city doing the school drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Whatever about the rest, the accusation he drives to and from work in a diesel car is incorrect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

No he said a rural village should have access to a car share which is completely different to what you said

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

and this lad driving to work in a 2.5 Ltr Diesel Volkswagen
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    the accusation he drives to and from work in a diesel car is incorrect.
    If only either of you had sources to back up your claim, that'd be great.

download.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Whatever about the rest, the accusation he drives to and from work in a diesel car is incorrect.

Pretty sure I seen him leaving Dáil Éireann on Rté news in a Volkswagen Caravelle with the noise of a Diesel engine inside in the background

Pretty sure I seen him leaving Dáil Éireann on Rté news in a Volkswagen Caravelle with the noise of a Diesel engine inside in the background

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/jetting-to-global-warming-events-takes-a-toll-on-eamons-footprint-34555840.html

Biodiesel

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

He is regurgitating what his party were saying during the election.

One of his members already mentioned this on another program.

Will see how hard they push the crazy non workable ideas as a way to show they aren't going to tax the ****e out of everything.

• Advertisement

Calhoun wrote: »
    He is regurgitating what his party were saying during the election.

One of his members already mentioned this on another program.

Will see how hard they push the crazy non workable ideas as a way to show they aren't going to tax the ****e out of everything.

What exactly is unworkable about having the additional option of using a car share?

What exactly, quotes from their manifesto please is it you think the Green's are planning to tax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Oh ffs I'm really surprised they are still saying that
    They said something like that a few months ago, right after saying we should reintroduce wolves.

It's obviously an idea completely disconnected from reality. It's weird that they haven't realised that since the last time they said it. No shortage of people pointing it out.

For anyone who doesn't get it: Where I live, there is a bus one day a week. The road to the city is narrow and windy and without a footpath. It is not safe to cycle or walk. Most people need to travel that to get to their work. This is a typical situation for plenty of villages.

I voted greens, and I'm totally onboard with environmentalist policies. But they need to be connected to reality. They can't just conjure up their ideals. Need to start with how things actually are right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Said a rural village of 300 people should share 30 cars between them to commute to work

Idiotic... but on the other hand, if a large number of them worked for the same company then maybe they should give the company a tax incentive to provide a shuttle bus to work. Or tax breaks for car pooling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Maybe he should focus his ire on the SUV drivers in the south of the city doing the school drops.

These drive me nuts. Not specifically the school-run aspect of it but basically anyone with a clean SUV. We have a lot narrow streets with on-street parking in our old cities and towns. SUV's just clog these and make more traffic.

Basically unless your Jeep is muddy up as far as the windows you shouldn't have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,660 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I live rurally.

I work shifts so am away at 615am.

So do I have to walk to the centre of the village to pick up my communal car?

I would then be away until 8pm, so that's one car out of action for the entire day just for me.

I'm sure plenty of other people would be heading away in one car with no passengers too.

Think it's a totally madcap idea.

If anything, it's city folk who should be car sharing. Wait no, they don't have to, they actually have things called buses. Imagine if they could get the huge population centres to use PT rather than get a couple of hundred people to share cars in the countryside .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

He is fairly poor imo Catherine Martin would be a much better leader for them

It's obviously an idea completely disconnected from reality.
    Why are you opposed to additional choice?

What exactly is unworkable about having the additional option of using a car share?

What exactly, quotes from their manifesto please is it you think the Green's are planning to tax?

Additional option is it eh, just rock up in a family of 5 and the go car be ready to go and that will solve all the rural problems. Of all the ways they could have more green items for rural Ireland this one is probably the one that is the worst way around doing it. I wouldn't put it past them as a way of outlawing the car in rural Ireland.

I don't know about their manifesto but based upon comments made in debates during the election they are planning more taxes.

That's how the greens work in ireland. Everyone in Ireland should be scared of wackos who believe in degrowth. We can only be thankful that it never got through their last convention.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I live rurally.

I work shifts so am away at 615am.

So do I have to walk to the centre of the village to pick up my communal car?

I would then be away until 8pm, so that's one car out of action for the entire day just for me.

I'm sure plenty of other people would be heading away in one car with no passengers too.

Think it's a totally madcap idea.

If anything, it's city folk who should be car sharing. Wait no, they don't have to, they actually have things called buses. Imagine if they could get the huge population centres to use PT rather than get a couple of hundred people to share cars in the countryside .

No you get in your car like you normally do. Jesus people this isn't a difficult concept. Now say your adult child lives and works locally but want to go to Dublin while you're in work they take a car share

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭Xcellor

We need tax breaks like maybe reduced PRSI contributions for companies when workers are given the ability to work remotely. This would be a green policy I could get behind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

The Greens are just blueshirts on bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I thought he apologised for saying this last year...why would he be saying it again?!

I would think car pooling would suit some people even in fairly rural areas? As an additional option to owning a car?
    My folks for example have 2 cars id say my mum drives hers about once a week max

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Why are you opposed to additional choice?
    Huh?

No additional choice was mentioned in the OP. I didnt read the interview itself so maybe I'm missing context?

Calhoun wrote: »
    Additional option is it eh, just rock up in a family of 5 and the go car be ready to go and that will solve all the rural problems. Of all the ways they could have more green items for rural Ireland this one is probably the one that is the worst way around doing it. I wouldn't put it past them as a way of outlawing the car in rural Ireland.

I don't know about their manifesto but based upon comments made in debates during the election they are planning more taxes.

That's how the greens work in ireland. Everyone in Ireland should be scared of wackos who believe in degrowth. We can only be thankful that it never got through their last convention.

No you use your current car. No one is talking about taking that away. If any where would have a car ban its urban areas where it's actually workable.

So no additional taxes your aware of so.

You've invented a fictional Green Party

gmisk wrote: »
    I thought he apologised for saying this last year...why would he be saying it again?!

I would say if he did apologize it was only to throw the scent off temporarily. He had quite a few pieces out before the election to try and impress that he wasn't going to tax the bollox off of people.

Pity he didn't communicate it to some of his members. We had this bat**** crazy idea come out of some of them, taxes on airtravel from others for all. I would say those were the tip of the iceberg.

Idiotic... but on the other hand, if a large number of them worked for the same company then maybe they should give the company a tax incentive to provide a shuttle bus to work. Or tax breaks for car pooling.

That would be idiotic which is why it's not the proposal

No you use your current car. No one is talking about taking that away. If any where would have a car ban its urban areas where it's actually workable.

So no additional taxes your aware of so.

You've invented a fictional Green Party

Sorry Eamonn i didn't think we were offending you so much. Why don't you go have an auld wee jaunt on your bike you will feel better.

The 10 euro tax on all and flight musnt be a tax eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    The Greens are just blueshirts on bikes.

I'm on a crowded bus at the moment, stuck in traffic and hoping for bus lanes...

I laughed so hard at this, that people now know I'm a weirdo and my bubble of personal space has increased as the other passengers move to distance themselves.

Thank you!
    The smells of the peasant wagon are now no longer overpowering the Vicks in my nostrils :D

Huh?

No additional choice was mentioned in the OP. I didnt read the interview itself so maybe I'm missing context?

The OP has either misunderstood the proposal or is being disingenuous.
    The proposal doesn't in any way limit your ability to own an operate a private vehicle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,660 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No you get in your car like you normally do. Jesus people this isn't a difficult concept. Now say your adult child lives and works locally but want to go to Dublin while you're in work they take a car share

So if those 5 people are heading to say Dublin, they all need to leave at the same time and they also need to leave work at the same time to get home?

It's a grand concept, but the real world doesn't work like this.

To expect perhaps 5 people who work in 5 different places in Dublin all to be able to get out of work at the same time.

And the last person out of the car has to drive around Dublin and collect them all again to go home?

It's easy to make huge brush stroke statements about car sharing but in reality it's a lot more complicated than that.

My own workplace allows workers to register for CS, but even if 2 people share a car, which is th3 simplest form, I know it can bring issues. What if the driver has to leave work early? Gets sick? Takes a half day? This has all happened with our work and they had to taxi the other person home.

Advertisement