Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamonn Ryan Green Party

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

The OP has either misunderstood the proposal or is being disingenuous.
    The proposal doesn't in any way limit your ability to own an operate a private vehicle
    Well what is the actual proposal?

You're flatly disagreeing with a lot of posts, but you aren't actually explaining where you're coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Calhoun wrote: »
    Additional option is it eh, just rock up in a family of 5 and the go car be ready to go and that will solve all the rural problems. Of all the ways they could have more green items for rural Ireland this one is probably the one that is the worst way around doing it. I wouldn't put it past them as a way of outlawing the car in rural Ireland.

Again, a family of 5 should, of course, have their own car. And if you're organised enough that you all share a spin in the morning, more power to you, you're part of the solution.

But as was said above, maybe there's no need for the third car in certain households. If someone lives and works locally but wants the car once per week to do a big shop, or has to go on the occasional longer trip to visit someone then they could save money by not paying for insurance & maintenance of a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Oh ffs I'm really surprised they are still saying that
    They said something like that a few months ago, right after saying we should reintroduce wolves.

It's obviously an idea completely disconnected from reality. It's weird that they haven't realised that since the last time they said it. No shortage of people pointing it out.

For anyone who doesn't get it: Where I live, there is a bus one day a week. The road to the city is narrow and windy and without a footpath. It is not safe to cycle or walk. Most people need to travel that to get to their work. This is a typical situation for plenty of villages.

I voted greens, and I'm totally onboard with environmentalist policies. But they need to be connected to reality. They can't just conjure up their ideals. Need to start with how things actually are right now.

This indeed - but then again the Greens have become an urban party for citizens who are either reasonably well off or idealistic.

I've followed them for many years, even canvassed for candidates in the past but they've changed over time. Guardians of the environment was once their calling card but now happy to promote widespread environmental vandalism in the construction of industrial wind farms for example. But that doesn't matter anymore as long as these sites are well outside the urban areas. Put them in Dublin Bay - another matter altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Sorry Eamonn i didn't think we were offending you so much. Why don't you go have an auld wee jaunt on your bike you will feel better.

The 10 euro tax on all and flight musnt be a tax eh.

No that is one. I'd forgotten about that
    I'd love to have a wee jaunt but we've no decent cycling infrastructure

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Huh?

No additional choice was mentioned in the OP. I didnt read the interview itself so maybe I'm missing context?

I don't think any context is missing do you think the greens would put an option in place and leave it at that , this stupid option more than likely will be offset by a nice expensive tax on private car ownership or fuel.

This is a party who's members believe in economic degrowth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

More car shares is a great idea.

I live in a large village and we have 2 cars. 1 we both share to work and 1 that just sits there unused, I think it’s done about 2000km in the last 6 months. I’d like to get rid of it and just rent a car when needed but the nearest car rental is 40km away.

If the village or the estate had a load of go cars or similar we could get rid of the second car and have tax, insurance, maintenance, depreciation etc savings of over €1000 a year.

NIMAN wrote: »
    So if those 5 people are heading to say Dublin, they all need to leave at the same time and they also need to leave work at the same time to get home?

It's a grand concept, but the real world doesn't work like this.

To expect perhaps 5 people who work in 5 different places in Dublin all to be able to get out of work at the same time.

And the last person out of the car has to drive around Dublin and collect them all again to go home?

It's easy to make huge brush stroke statements about car sharing but in reality it's a lot more complicated than that.

My own workplace allows workers to register for CS, but even if 2 people share a car, which is th3 simplest form, I know it can bring issues. What if the driver has to leave work early? Gets sick? Takes a half day? This has all happened with our work and they had to taxi the other person home.

The scheme isn't intended for commuting . It's for when the primary car user and owner has the car and you want to go to the next town for an hour. The idea is to help families not need multiple cars.

I don't think any context is missing do you think the greens would put an option in place and leave it at that , this stupid option more than likely will be offset by a nice expensive tax on private car ownership or fuel.

This is a party who's members believe in economic degrowth.

Any evidence of a the proposal suggesting banning private ownership?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,660 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The scheme isn't intended for commuting . It's for when the primary car user and owner has the car and you want to go to the next town for an hour. The idea is to help families not need multiple cars.

But this will mean that the communal car will very often, if not all the time, have a single person in it.

So is it to help the environment or to help rural people save money on 2nd cars?

But this will mean that the communal car will very often, if not all the time, have a single person in it.

So is it to help the environment or to help rural people save money on 2nd cars?

Which is what is currently happening. It's both building cars is very carbon intensive and to save on 2nd cars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Anybody see his interview on Tv3 the other morning. Said a rural village of 300 people should share 30 cars between them to commute to work, and this lad driving to work in a 2.5 Ltr Diesel Volkswagen :pac:

Give me strength. Away with the fairies.

Yep all villagers work with the same company, the man is living in cuckoo land all the more reason to keep the idiots out of government.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Calm down everyone nobody is taking your cars away.

Which is what is currently happening. It's both building cars is very carbon intensive and to save on 2nd cars

By this logic, no household in a big city should be allowed a 2nd car, considering you all have PT.

Just wondering LeinsterDub, do you honestly believe the rural pool of communal cars is genuinely a workable idea? It's fantastic on paper, but it's not realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

He does cycle from time to time, when they were in guberment last time he nearly killed himself while thinking it was fine to cut across the wrong way on lesson street in front of the bus I was driving, he was extremely lucky I could stop in time and nobody on board was injured I had to brake that hard.....

Cycling head on towards a bus wouldn't be the brightest.

He certainly has a caravelle and shes a dirty yoke spewing out Nox big time.....

No footpath outside our house. So not safe to walk with our toddler outside.
    So if we were to ditch our second car, I'd need to use the communal car to get to work so my wife could use our private car with our kid.

I can't see there being one reliably available at commuting times.

And what about medical emergencies? Takes ages for an ambulance to get out to us. After our first emergency, we were told to get in the car and start driving and call the ambulance in the way to meet halfway.
    Baby's not breathing. I'll just nip down to the village and grab a communal car?

The problem is **** infrastructure which is a result of stingy public spending. Invest in infrastructure to fix the problem. This idea is just window dressing for it.

Medical emergencies are enough of an example for this not to work.

People won't take the chance. They'll pay for a 2nd car just in case. Sometimes rural dwellers have to assume it could take an hour for an ambulance to get to them. And for that reason they will always like to have a car available at home.

By this logic, no household in a big city should be allowed a 2nd car, considering you all have PT.

Just wondering LeinsterDub, do you honestly believe the rural pool of communal cars is genuinely a workable idea? It's fantastic on paper, but it's not realistic.

No one is talking about banning cars but I'd agree we shouldn't need to have mutlicar households in the city.

Why isn't it workable, your in work with the car the young lad has an u20 game again the club 2 villages over , he and the lads pick up a car share?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Where does Eamonn Ryan purchase road legal (duty paid) biodiesel?

A very sensible refocus of official biofuels policy was taken a number of years back to put a low percentage of biofuels in all road fuels (5% bioethanol in petrol and 7% biodiesel in diesel) rather than having a miniscule percentage using biofuels instead of traditional fuels, with a much greater overall effect.

The biofuels producers who previously retailled biodiesel for road use no longer do so, I believe the system under which they were licensed to retail biofuels for road use was shut down and instead they sell in bulk to the oil distributors who add it to their regular fuels.

So if we were to ditch our second car, I'd need to use the communal car to get to work so my wife could use our private car with our kid.

I can't see there being one reliably available at commuting times.

And what about medical emergencies? Takes ages for an ambulance to get out to us. After our first emergency, we were told to get in the car and start driving and call the ambulance in the way to meet halfway.
    Baby's not breathing. I'll just nip down to the village and grab a communal car?

The problem is **** infrastructure which is a result of stingy public spending. Invest in infrastructure to fix the problem. This idea is just window dressing for it.

Just because an idea doesn't work for you doesn't mean it's not workable for everyone.

Medical emergencies are enough of an example for this not to work.

People won't take the chance. They'll pay for a 2nd car just in case. Sometimes rural dwellers have to assume it could take an hour for an ambulance to get to them. And for that reason they will always like to have a car available at home.

Fine you've 2 cars now but now you don't need car 3 , 4 and 5 for the young fellas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    The Greens are just blueshirts on bikes.

AD956477-455-A-45-C6-9897-122939051482.jpg

Well what is the actual proposal?

You're flatly disagreeing with a lot of posts, but you aren't actually explaining where you're coming from.

The proposal is simply people outside urban areas would have access to a car sharing scheme . No more , no less.

If the scheme is workable for you , only you can decide but you're not being force to used it in anyway shape or form. So come at the proposal that it's a waste or money that could be better spent elsewhere, fine, but the "they are taking our cars" angle is simply untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Don’t see what the issue is here.

Ryan is the leader of the Green Party. The Green Party believes climate change is the issue of our time, and wants us to take a very different approach to tackle it. This will involve lifestyle changes, behavioural change, and increased indirect taxes. To achieve some of this they need to be in Government. They had a very good election and their message resonated with voters.

Nothing off-piste there at all I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Why would you live somewhere where your kids can't go outside?

Any car pooling scheme that helps people get around without having to own their own car sounds like a great idea to me. I don't get why rural people scoff at the idea. There's a town in Canada where uber is subsidised by the local government to act as public transport as it is the only thing currently fit for purpose. We need to be open to new ideas instead of everyone having to own a car in Ireland.

Why would you live somewhere where your kids can't go outside?
    Half an acre of mature garden. Multiple forests, parks and playgrounds within a stone's throw. He goes outside every day. Literally just back from the woods with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

biko wrote: »
    If only either of you had sources to back up your claim, that'd be great.
    https://twitter.com/ChristyBurkGE20/status/1227599532780814338?s=20

Eamon Ryan is not the Messiah, none of us are without sin when it comes to our lifestyles and pollution etc, I just think he'd like to see somewhat more sustainable measures and policies introduced in Ireland. I've met him a few times, he seems to be sincere.

Eamon Ryan is not the Messiah, none of us are without sin when it comes to our lifestyles and pollution etc, I just think he'd like to see somewhat more sustainable measures and policies introduced in Ireland. I've met him a few times, he seems to be sincere.
    Yeah I still prefer the Greens' well-meaning but slightly out of touch technocracy over inane populism or cynical exploitation. Best option we have.

He really should get an electric car though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

He said on RTE during the leaders debate that they (Greens) were the fire brigade and that they will put out the fire

Advertisement