Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamonn Ryan Green Party

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tulip1977

BarryD2 wrote: »

But government policy is also to encourage rural businesses. Let's have a farm enterprise making say fine cheeses, they have the broadband and a fancy website, take in the orders........... How the f*** are they supposed to work the other side of the order chain and get their goods out to customers like you who've ordered them??? Couriers don't like collecting in rural Ireland and if they do, it's a hefty cost. An Post is the state delivery parcel service - but how does this small business get the goods into their chain, if they keep closing the outlets where you place them??? It's half arsed thinking in terms of rural Ireland.

Cheese deliveries require refrigerated tucks - An Post don't have any.

Quality bit of whataboutery all the same though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Well up around Tuam, Headford, Cong, Achill, the whole of Donegal... Sligo, Kerry, pretty much everywhere in Ireland that I've been in the last year has these massive houses everywhere on every road.

Define massive?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

The point is to use less power and cut out waste, power requires energy to be produced, and in some cases burning of fossil fuels.

So the electricity company must maintain profits regardless, no one is going to even try and cut usage if there is nothing in it for them, remove all the charges and levies from the bills and just charge for usage would be a good start but nearly every electricity worker getting a big truck to take home every night is more important

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

So the electricity company must maintain profits regardless, no one is going to even try and cut usage if there is nothing in it for them, remove all the charges and levies from the bills and just charge for usage would be a good start but nearly every electricity worker getting a big truck to take home every night is more important

Why not generate your own if it's such a major issue for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Regardless of all these things I just try and use as little as possible as I don't like wasting anything really. I would do the same whether cheap or expensive or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Well up around Tuam, Headford, Cong, Achill, the whole of Donegal... Sligo, Kerry, pretty much everywhere in Ireland that I've been in the last year has these massive houses everywhere on every road.

Please explain how these people afford to build these massive houses in these places and make a living there. Probably go boys from Dublin who've made their money in legal services and the like.
    Tulip1977 wrote: »
    Cheese deliveries require refrigerated tucks - An Post don't have any.

Pickles if you like, Jam... Jaysus, I give up. Anyway on point of information, cheese does not require refrigerated trucking. We order in cheeses and they do come in insulated boxes delivered by courier or An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Why not just relax the restrictions on taxi/Uber (maybe with some subsidies for rural journeys) to open it up to more people?

This would basically achieve the same "communal car" infrastructure that they are proposing at the stroke of a pen, with minimal investment required

Why not just relax the restrictions on taxi/Uber (maybe with some subsidies for rural journeys) to open it up to more people?

This would basically achieve the same "communal car" infrastructure that they are proposing at the stroke of a pen, with minimal investment required

Wouldn't that be more expensive that car sharing with less benefits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I think there would be major issues with insurance and joyriding or other crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Taxi licence plate holders are the problem. The last thing they'll put up with is more competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Anybody see his interview on Tv3 the other morning. Said a rural village of 300 people should share 30 cars between them to commute to work, and this lad driving to work in a 2.5 Ltr Diesel Volkswagen :pac:

Give me strength. Away with the fairies.

stupid idea, and im a greens voter

Wouldn't that be more expensive that car sharing with less benefits?

No

No

You've to pay the driver which has to cover his fuel , car and insurance, you've to wait for the driver , the driver is with you at all time .

How would it be better than a car share?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭jucko

gmisk wrote: »
    He is fairly poor imo Catherine Martin would be a much better leader for them

catherine martin for taoiseach!

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    stupid idea, and im a greens voter

It's a stupider idea to just keep building road after road after road and expecting traffic to get better, and planning our society around car ownership though. We have to start thinking outside the box when it comes to transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

It's a stupider idea to just keep building road after road after road and expecting traffic to get better though. We have to start thinking outside the box when it comes to transport.

oh i completely agree, but really, the greens need to actually do a bit of thinking regarding such issues, saying stupid stuff wont win over people, or encourage them to change, car pooling in the manner suggested wont work in reality, at all

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

What we need is affordable alternative then the rubbish these tools spout.

We need home heating to be clean and affordable and set up schemes to help those that can't afford to change from using an open fire for example.

Cars are becoming much cleaner but the issue is it takes too long to become affordable.

See many cars commuting and are from the early 00s.

I'm stuck with a 2011 at the moment and as I must commute to work I can't afford to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,129 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I think the idea of a Go Car type initiative should at least be piloted in a few small towns/villages to test the market.
    If it's not a runner it will be found out and we can move on to other proposals.

In another thread there was a lot of discussion about electric cars for rural people and one of the common objections was the lack of a towbar. Not so much among daily towbar users because they just could not consider EV at all but occasional towbar users. If they could borrow a diesel car/van with a towbar for that occasional trip to the co-op or bring centre EV ownership could make sense for them.

Whatever solutions are found to work for reducing car dependency in rural areas they will most likely be a combination of different initiatives rather than one size fits all.

You've to pay the driver which has to cover his fuel , car and insurance, you've to wait for the driver , the driver is with you at all time .

How would it be better than a car share?

I don't think you understand how Uber works. It would allow those people who have car sitting up 95% of the time to tip around in their spare time - makes use of the existing resources instead of investing in a whole new network. Its very practical and Ive used Uber in several countries and it works well. As somebody else said the taxi drivers wouldn't be too happy with it

I don't think ER has this as a serious costed policy but the cost to set up a communal car system like ER is talking about it would be huge. He would have to buy several thousand cars (not very green?), set up maintenance structures and thats before you get anybody to give up a single cars.

This is just some aspirational notion that he has rather than a serious proposal. There seems to be zero thought gone into it and nothing provided in terms of costs, numbers of people or cars involved etc. It will never see the light of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I don't think you understand how Uber works. It would allow those people who have car sitting up 95% of the time to tip around in their spare time - makes use of the existing resources instead of investing in a whole new network. Its very practical and Ive used Uber in several countries and it works well. As somebody else said the taxi drivers wouldn't be too happy with it

I don't think ER has this as a serious costed policy but the cost to set up a communal car system like ER is talking about it would be huge. He would have to buy several thousand cars (not very green?), set up maintenance structures and thats before you get anybody to give up a single cars.

This is just some aspirational notion that he has rather than a serious proposal. There seems to be zero thought gone into it and nothing provided in terms of costs, numbers of people or cars involved etc. It will never see the light of day.

Of course he hasn't costed it, Eamonn is trying to deflect peoples attention away from what ever tax they are planning to drop on the tax payer. He went into the election trying to do damage recovery from the last time in power trying to come off like they wont tax everything that moves.

• Advertisement

Calhoun wrote: »
    Of course he hasn't costed it, Eamonn is trying to deflect peoples attention away from what ever tax they are planning to drop on the tax payer. He went into the election trying to do damage recovery from the last time in power trying to come off like they wont tax everything that moves.

I don't think the greens are responsible for you not having as much money as you'd like

I'm well aware how Uber's race to the bottom works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

elperello wrote: »
    I think the idea of a Go Car type initiative should at least be piloted in a few small towns/villages to test the market.
    If it's not a runner it will be found out and we can move on to other proposals.

Whatever solutions are found to work for reducing car dependency in rural areas they will most likely be a combination of different initiatives rather than one size fits all.

That kind of logic and reason has no place on this here internet! :P

You're right though. There are ideas out there that need to be tried. Any time you put a new idea out there everyone jumps up and down on it and picks holes in it. Most of the complaints come from the general idea of "oh it's fine for _____ but it'll never work HERE".

Like the bike share systems. They've been in European cities for years and any time the idea was mentioned for Ireland the answer was " ah sure they'll be robbed/vandalized". We put them in and, surprise surprise, they work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    That kind of logic and reason has no place on this here internet! :P

You're right though. There are ideas out there that need to be tried. Any time you put a new idea out there everyone jumps up and down on it and picks holes in it. Most of the complaints come from the general idea of "oh it's fine for _____ but it'll never work HERE".

Like the bike share systems. They've been in European cities for years and any time the idea was mentioned for Ireland the answer was " ah sure they'll be robbed/vandalized". We put them in and, surprise surprise, they work.

I would say the problem people have specifically when it comes to the greens is it all has to be paid for.

That means more taxes while they try and figure out what works and what doesn't work.

The otherside of the coin for the nay-sayers against the greens are the Dublin folk and more well off people who feel the sun shines out of their arse. They wont ever be negatively impacted and for the most part can buy their way out of inconvenience so just see it as the ignorant complaining for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭crisco10

What we need is affordable alternative then the rubbish these tools spout.

We need home heating to be clean and affordable and set up schemes to help those that can't afford to change from using an open fire for example.

Cars are becoming much cleaner but the issue is it takes too long to become affordable.

See many cars commuting and are from the early 00s.

I'm stuck with a 2011 at the moment and as I must commute to work I can't afford to change.

Ironically, the greenest car you can drive is probably that 2011 you are "stuck" with - such are the manufacturing overheads with regard to CO2 etc. Getting a new car purely to be more green is, generally, a paradox.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ryan appears to be a nice enough chap with his heart in the right place, but his brain is permanently stuck in neutral. Not the brightest bulb in the box.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Elsewhere, you have people using solar, selling power to the utility.
    I would love some initiative were solar panels were subsidised. They would eventually cut the reliance on the grid and begin to save you money after a time.
    There must also be some way of following the T Ford model. Get the bare bones of an electric car to keep it as cheap as possible and mass produce it. Either way a government initiative on electric cars would help too.
    I don't agree with carbon tax unless any monies accrued go towards green initiatives like the above. And wolves of course ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,129 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Wibbs wrote: »
    Ryan appears to be a nice enough chap with his heart in the right place, but his brain is permanently stuck in neutral. Not the brightest bulb in the box.

While he does seem to get into messianic mode a bit more often than is good for him he's no dope.

He has a degree in commerce from UCD and founded this very successful company - https://cyclingsafaris.com/

crisco10 wrote: »
    Ironically, the greenest car you can drive is probably that 2011 you are "stuck" with - such are the manufacturing overheads with regard to CO2 etc. Getting a new car purely to be more green is, generally, a paradox.

Exactly. The less private car ownership, electric or not, the better and that's what we should be aiming towards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

How did we manage to get 8 pages of discussion about a throway idea Eamon Ryan mentioned months ago and clarified afterwards?

Although there has been some reasoned points we are arguing about a policy which doesn't exist.

Advertisement