Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamonn Ryan Green Party

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

How did we manage to get 8 pages of discussion about a throway idea Eamon Ryan mentioned months ago and clarified afterwards?

Although there has been some reasoned points we are arguing about a policy which doesn't exist.

It was regurgitated during the election a few weeks ago by one of the green members so it go more traction.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,129 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I guess people find it an interesting topic.

Rural dwellers (the ones I know anyway) are not going back to the ass and car or the high nelly so solutions have to be found to their transport needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

This numpty doesn't have to get pt like us peasants.....

Has anyone noticed it's an absolute sh1t show....
    Scum taking over, dirty tissues or nappies, black bags of refuse, no arse in their trousers and sh1t stains all down their legs, shirts that were once white, smelly a hats, spitting on the floor or seats, chewing gum on seats or stop bells.... Yada yada yada

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

elperello wrote: »
    I guess people find it an interesting topic.

Rural dwellers (the ones I know anyway) are not going back to the ass and car or the high nelly so solutions have to be found to their transport needs.

Move them to finglas

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

How did we manage to get 8 pages of discussion about a throway idea Eamon Ryan mentioned months ago and clarified afterwards?

Although there has been some reasoned points we are arguing about a policy which doesn't exist.

Apparently he said it again yesterday. And yet again some people have misunderstood what he said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Apparently he said it again yesterday. And yet again some people have misunderstood what he said.

I searched and couldn’t find any reference to him saying it more recently apart from OP who mentioned an interview on TV3 (presume they meant virgin) but could only find him talking to all media outside Leinster house and no mention of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Exactly. The less private car ownership, electric or not, the better and that's what we should be aiming towards.

I love my car , I don't care how many buses ,trams or flaming hovercraft are passing my door I'm not giving it up to be stuck beside some stoner who smells of wee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 The_knack

He is Harry Enfields , Tim nice but dim, made flesh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

I love my car , I don't care how many buses ,trams or flaming hovercraft are passing my door I'm not giving it up to be stuck beside some stoner who smells of wee.

Lucky no one is talking about taking it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

He does cycle from time to time, when they were in guberment last time he nearly killed himself while thinking it was fine to cut across the wrong way on lesson street in front of the bus I was driving, he was extremely lucky I could stop in time and nobody on board was injured I had to brake that hard.....

Cycling head on towards a bus wouldn't be the brightest.

He certainly has a caravelle and shes a dirty yoke spewing out Nox big time.....

You should have kept going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Calm down everyone nobody is taking your cars away.

Not much point having a car when they’ll be taxing the sh1te out of petrol and diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Calhoun wrote: »
    I would say the problem people have specifically when it comes to the greens is it all has to be paid for.

That means more taxes while they try and figure out what works and what doesn't work.

The otherside of the coin for the nay-sayers against the greens are the Dublin folk and more well off people who feel the sun shines out of their arse. They wont ever be negatively impacted and for the most part can buy their way out of inconvenience so just see it as the ignorant complaining for no reason.

That's a fair point but the cost to trial run it in a few towns wouldn't be astronomical. You could partner with someone like go-car and pick a couple of towns in the midlands and see how you get on.

It would involve a bit of interpreting the results though. In the long run the rental price would be compared to the cost of insuring/taxing/maintaining your own car. People won't sell their second/third car immediately & so the cost of using the shared car would have to be subsidised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

The thing I will remember Eamon Ryan for was BBC 1/BBC 2 were signed off to be on the Saorview platform, as a reciprocal of RTE and TG4 being on the NI Freeview platform via the GFA Memorandum Of Understanding.
    But a posse of TV3 suits burst into Eamon's office the following day demanding that this initiative was reversed. And the rest is history. Yes you guessed it. It was reversed.
    The Green Party website changed the following day to say BBC would be on the platform on a "paid for" basis.
    He wants to please everyone, but ends up pleasing no one. He has no backbone.

The thing I will remember Eamon Ryan for was BBC 1/BBC 2 were signed off to be on the Saorview platform, as a reciprocal of RTE and TG4 being on the NI Freeview platform via the GFA Memorandum Of Understanding.
    But a posse of TV3 suits burst into Eamon's office the following day demanding that this initiative was reversed. And the rest is history. Yes you guessed it. It was reversed.
    The Green Party website changed the following day to say BBC would be on the platform on a "paid for" basis.
    He wants to please everyone, but ends up pleasing no one. He has no backbone.

That's a great story when is the movie coming out?

Seriously though I never heard that, is it documented anywhere?

It sounds like it would have made sense if it had gone ahead.

That's a great story when is the movie coming out?

Seriously though I never heard that, is it documented anywhere?

It sounds like it would have made sense if it had gone ahead.
    If you go to the broadcasting forum and go back to circa 2010, all the details are there somewhere. I think there was even a before and after screenshot of the Green Party website announcement. Whether it's there still I am not sure.

If you go to the broadcasting forum and go back to circa 2010, all the details are there somewhere. I think there was even a before and after screenshot of the Green Party website announcement. Whether it's there still I am not sure.

I went back to 2010 and TBH it's like looking for a needle in a haystack.
    The matter you recount could be buried anywhere.

No disrespect but I'll leave it there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

While he does seem to get into messianic mode a bit more often than is good for him he's no dope.

He has a degree in commerce from UCD and founded this very successful company - https://cyclingsafaris.com/
    I know someone going for her masters in business studies and is shockingly uninformed and TBH slower than one might expect given her academic success. Though I've known plenty of average IQ people with degrees. It's little or no indication on the face of it, beyond showing someone isn't actually intellectually challenged.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I went back to 2010 and TBH it's like looking for a needle in a haystack.
    The matter you recount could be buried anywhere.

No disrespect but I'll leave it there.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055815871

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Bowie wrote: »
    I would love some initiative were solar panels were subsidised. They would eventually cut the reliance on the grid and begin to save you money after a time.

Already introduced by Fine Gael:

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/grants-for-solar-panels-of-up-to-e3800-available.html

• Registered Users Posts: 86,778 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Will he be Taoiseach :p

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    I know someone going for her masters in business studies and is shockingly uninformed and TBH slower than one might expect given her academic success. Though I've known plenty of average IQ people with degrees. It's little or no indication on the face of it, beyond showing someone isn't actually intellectually challenged.

I know what you mean and I've encountered similar.

However when you combine the degree with setting up and sustaining a successful business for many years you are getting a better indication.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I know what you mean and I've encountered similar.

However when you combine the degree with setting up and sustaining a successful business for many years you are getting a better indication.
    Maybe, maybe not. I've also known successful businessmen and women who I wouldn't expect much insight on anything outside their wheelhouse. In Ryan's case I'm just going on his political pronouncements and the brains on show are average at best, downright moronic at worst.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭gifted

The man means well but he gives off the impression of living in la la land. He needs to start coming up with workable solutions to his ideas....
    We have two cars, herself needs one and I have one, 3 young girls. Her one is diesel cos I'm from cork and herself is sligo, we live in galway and we need to get there to visit so we use the diesel. I could change my car to an electric one, no bother, I do little milage in mine from house to work. Problem is I can't afford it. The prices are way above what we can afford.
    Let Eamonn Ryan come up with a solution to solve that problem.....make the alternatives affordable.....a lot of their ideas cost a lot of money and that frightens a lot of people.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Maybe, maybe not. I've also known successful businessmen and women who I wouldn't expect much insight on anything outside their wheelhouse. In Ryan's case I'm just going on his political pronouncements and the brains on show are average at best, downright moronic at worst.

Likewise again I've known people like that.

I never said ER was one of our leading statesmen but I would class him a bit above average in the Dail (I know, that bar is low) and definitely not a moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

gifted wrote: »
    The man means well but he gives off the impression of living in la la land. He needs to start coming up with workable solutions to his ideas....
    We have two cars, herself needs one and I have one, 3 young girls. Her one is diesel cos I'm from cork and herself is sligo, we live in galway and we need to get there to visit so we use the diesel. I could change my car to an electric one, no bother, I do little milage in mine from house to work. Problem is I can't afford it. The prices are way above what we can afford.
    Let Eamonn Ryan come up with a solution to solve that problem.....make the alternatives affordable.....a lot of their ideas cost a lot of money and that frightens a lot of people.

Well I think Eamon wants people to live in a way that they don't require 2 cars, or any car.
    Also, why do country people say the Greens want to destroy rural Ireland, when they're constantly moaning about the state rural Ireland is in now? Who doesn't want to ruin rural Ireland exactly?

Well I think Eamon wants people to live in a way that they don't require 2 cars, or any car.
    Also, why do country people say the Greens want to destroy rural Ireland, when they're constantly moaning about the state rural Ireland is in now? Who doesn't want to ruin rural Ireland exactly?

And how does eamonn suggest we get to Cork city and a country lane in sligo with 3 young children?
    And don't say public transport...please don't say public transport because that does not work and even if it was a top class service how would it work for us?

And how do we collect the kids? Food shopping?
    Etc etc...

And how does eamonn suggest we get to Cork city and a country lane in sligo with 3 young children?
    And don't say public transport...please don't say public transport because that does not work and even if it was a top class service how would it work for us?

And how do we collect the kids? Food shopping?
    Etc etc...

I've never owned a car and I food shop all the time. I was never brought to school in a car. And yes, public transport.
    Look no one is taking your cars away, but in future and future generations, we need to move away from building our societies around private car ownership because it just isn't healthy from any aspect.

I've never owned a car and I food shop all the time. I was never brought to school in a car. And yes, public transport.
    Look no one is taking your cars away, but in future and future generations, we need to move away from building our societies around private car ownership because it just isn't healthy from any aspect.

Have you ever food shopped for 5 people?
    Have you ever tried getting 3 young children onto a bus in galway and travelling to Cork city for as far as I know over 4 hrs? And then getting the bus back that evening? That's over 8 hrs in a bus with young children.
    Cars are essential to families.....give me an electric car and let the green party pay for it and I'll drive it, no bother. Problem is the green party want me to pay for it and I can't afford it, but they don't seem to care about that.
    A green canvasser called to my house before the last election, I asked him the same question....his answer.."hydrogen"......what says I? Hydrogen, that's what they use in japan to power some cars...I had to remind him he was in galway . He genuinely could not give me a straight answer to any of my questions.

Have you ever food shopped for 5 people?
    Have you ever tried getting 3 young children onto a bus in galway and travelling to Cork city for as far as I know over 4 hrs? And then getting the bus back that evening? That's over 8 hrs in a bus with young children.
    Cars are essential to families.....give me an electric car and let the green party pay for it and I'll drive it, no bother. Problem is the green party want me to pay for it and I can't afford it, but they don't seem to care about that.
    A green canvasser called to my house before the last election, I asked him the same question....his answer.."hydrogen"......what says I? Hydrogen, that's what they use in japan to power some cars...I had to remind him he was in galway . He genuinely could not give me a straight answer to any of my questions.

Well, you chose this life, your life sounds like my worst nightmare, needing two cars and ferrying children all over Ireland. Good luck with that.

• Advertisement

And I'm going to add in there as well that I was never brought to school in a car either..I walked or cycled......but that was over 35 years ago....unfortunately there's too many weirdos around now to let kids go off on their own.....it would be great to wave the kids off on a fresh morning but parents nowadays can't take that risk

Advertisement