Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamonn Ryan Green Party

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭gifted

Well, you chose this life, your life sounds like my worst nightmare, needing two cars and ferrying children all over Ireland. Good luck with that.

It's called real life

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

gifted wrote: »
    And how do we collect the kids? Food shopping?
    Etc etc...

Cycle? And I know as soon I as say this you'll of course live 200 km up a lane despite the fact that the majority of journeys made by car is Ireland could be cycled

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

And I'm going to add in there as well that I was never brought to school in a car either..I walked or cycled......but that was over 35 years ago....unfortunately there's too many weirdos around now to let kids go off on their own.....it would be great to wave the kids off on a fresh morning but parents nowadays can't take that risk

I'd imagine it's safer now than ever. Ireland was paedo capital of the world in the 20th century, so the risk is nowadays isn't as bad as you think, just paranoia.

It's called real life

It's called your real life!

And I'm going to add in there as well that I was never brought to school in a car either..I walked or cycled......but that was over 35 years ago....unfortunately there's too many weirdos around now to let kids go off on their own.....it would be great to wave the kids off on a fresh morning but parents nowadays can't take that risk

The weirdos aren't the issue it's the idiots in their 1 tonne of steal, driving like lunatics

• Advertisement

Cycle? And I know as soon I as say this you'll of course live 200 km up a lane despite the fact that the majority of journeys made by car is Ireland could be cycled

But if I have to use public transport I won't get home in time from work to hop on my bike and then cycle to the school to cycle home with them.

It's called your real life!

For me and a lot of families out there. In a perfect world I'd love to have alternative ways that actually work but until then we have to use what works for us.

I'm all for making this world a greener place but let's get it set up first.

For me and a lot of families out there. In a perfect world I'd love to have alternative ways that actually work but until then we have to use what works for us.

I'm all for making this world a greener place but let's get it set up first.

Well we might all have to accept some inconveniences if we really want to make a difference

But if I have to use public transport I won't get home in time from work to hop on my bike and then cycle to the school to cycle home with them.

If the roads where safe the kids could cycle themselves home. See how this works?

No every said you have too use it. The conversion about Public transport is always going to exclude about 10-15% of our population as they simply can't be served due to rural sprawl

Well we might all have to accept some inconveniences if we really want to make a difference

Some inconveniences?....just like the canvasser who called to my door...shrug your shoulders and say that as soon as the greens get a chance they will ram their policies through regardless if alternatives are not there.....based on that I'll leave the conversation there and leave people to make up their own minds.

• Advertisement

Some inconveniences?....just like the canvasser who called to my door...shrug your shoulders and say that as soon as the greens get a chance they will ram their policies through regardless if alternatives are not there.....based on that I'll leave the conversation there and leave people to make up their own minds.

Yes. If we want to get serious about how we consume and the damage we are doing, we may have to accept changes in our lifestyles and paying more for certain things.
    The greens wont be up to much anyway so you needn't worry.

You've already ruled out every alternative, so we must serve the needs of the many not the pander to the needs or the few

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The man means well but he gives off the impression of living in la la land. He needs to start coming up with workable solutions to his ideas....
    We have two cars, herself needs one and I have one, 3 young girls. Her one is diesel cos I'm from cork and herself is sligo, we live in galway and we need to get there to visit so we use the diesel. I could change my car to an electric one, no bother, I do little milage in mine from house to work. Problem is I can't afford it. The prices are way above what we can afford.
    Let Eamonn Ryan come up with a solution to solve that problem.....make the alternatives affordable.....a lot of their ideas cost a lot of money and that frightens a lot of people.

Im afraid- his solution is do what I say - not do what I do. As with most 'green' politics imo

The same boyo wants villages in rural areas to share a small number of electrical cars.

But guess what the bold Eamon is driving himself?

https://twitter.com/adoolan34/status/1227608972544413697?s=20

That said no different to most of the other green screamers tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,129 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The Caravelle issue was discussed over here - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058056390&page=7

The car share stuff was discussed at length earlier in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blanch152 wrote: »

Great.
    Grant Rules –

Your home must have been built in 2010 or earlier.

No worries there so ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

elperello wrote: »
    The Caravelle issue was discussed over here - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058056390&page=7

The car share stuff was discussed at length earlier in this thread.

251 co2's out of that van , putting it firmly in the G band of efficiency, bio diesel still produces co2 emissions, a lot of the quotes reduction is taking out emissions from refining etc.. traditional diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,129 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Thanks again for that.

I read through the 28 pages. More like a box set than a movie.
    It's a long story and certainly looks like ER has questions to answer.
    Was he shafted or incompetent either way the buck stops at the top.

TBH I doubted you with the stuff about guys bursting into the Minister's office.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

We shouldn't have to, forcing others to follow mad notions of a South Dublin yuppie will not end well.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I know someone going for her masters in business studies and is shockingly uninformed and TBH slower than one might expect given her academic success. Though I've known plenty of average IQ people with degrees. It's little or no indication on the face of it, beyond showing someone isn't actually intellectually challenged.

It's quite common, I have highly educated relatives who never watch th he news ,the only politician they know of is Trump and still need their parents to fill out forms for them, it's quite bizarre

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Will he be Taoiseach :p

The greens were at the bottom of the pile it would be a pure farce if he was made Taoiseach.

• Advertisement

We shouldn't have to, forcing others to follow mad notions of a South Dublin yuppie will not end well.

Things people said about the smoking ban and the plastic bag tax?

No, we should have to, if we carry on as is we are all f*cked.
    Christ to think people went through wars and starvation and God knows what in the past and any suggestion of any kind of different way of living now can't even be comprehended by people nowadays...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Problem these are often the same laying it all out whilst pretending to be real working class liberal heros and preaching 'only looking out for others' bs. The truth is they are more likley to be well to do - trust fund hippies whose parents still support them but they dont have a clue. The green party seems to be their natural habitat in my experience.

gozunda wrote: »
    Problem these are often the same laying it all out whilst pretending to be real working class liberal heros and preaching 'only looking out for others' bs. The truth is they are more likley to be well to do - trust fund hippies whose parents still support them but they dont have a clue. The green party seems to be their natural habitat in my experience.

That's my read of it as well, Irish Green party aren't Green in the mode of environmental parties elsewhere, they fail to grasp that a large percentage of the population will not be able to pay for their questionable notions

Things people said about the smoking ban and the plastic bag tax?

Hedges are still of plastic bags and every pub has a smoking area , so what is the point you are attempting to make

No, we should have to, if we carry on as is we are all f*cked.
    Christ to think people went through wars and starvation and God knows what in the past and any suggestion of any kind of different way of living now can't even be comprehended by people nowadays...

How so, few million Irish people being masochists while the countries with hundreds of million carry on happily, if we are going to we' ll go better in comfort than absolute misery

Hedges are still of plastic bags and every pub has a smoking area , so what is the point you are attempting to make

That these measures where introduced and people adapted. Life went on

How so, few million Irish people being masochists while the countries with hundreds of million carry on happily, if we are going to we' ll go better in comfort than absolute misery

You're basically saying this

https://m.imgur.com/r/energy/up6yu

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I just saw this thread, I agree Ryan isnt the leader the greens need, he was terrible in the debates, he looked like he was never in front of an audience/camera in his life. I'd be a green voter, not that I agree with partisan politics.

A few points about cars etc.

So called SUV/crossovers, I dont get them, the only advantage is they are slightly higher, family wise there isnt much extra space compared to the average car equiv. Because they are larger/heavier theyre not as fuel efficient.

The greenest car is the car you have, fair enough if you are in a diesel stuck in traffic you are polluting the air locally. We live in a throwaway consumer society, that includes cars, phones, most electronics. Instead of crushing/scrapping older cars they should be converted to electric(lots of companies in the US/Uk doing it) before we start mass importing/producing electric cars based on current sized cars.

This whataboutery stuff about China/India/US being the major polluters. Where does all our stuff come from? Mostly china, so one way in which us Western countries can make a resl impact is stop buy stuff(cr@p) from China etc. Even solar panels etc produced in China have a carbon impact 4/5 times of what they would be if they if they were produced in Europe.

I could go on.

• Advertisement

This whataboutery stuff about China/India/US being the major polluters. Where does all our stuff come from? Mostly china, so one way in which us Western countries can make a resl impact is stop buy stuff(cr@p) from China etc. Even solar panels etc produced in China have a carbon impact 4/5 times of what they would be if they if they were produced in Europe.

I could go on.

Exactly. Everyone always says what about China, when we are bigger polluters per capita than the Chinese and we are the ones buying the rubbish from them to fuel their economy. It's a global problem that no one can ignore.
    And you can't consume your way out of these problems either by buying green products, that's just more consumption in a different way. We need to think about things differently. It's like those reusable cups etc, just use a cup you already bloody own instead of buying another one.

Advertisement