Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coming to terms with being gay

• 24-02-2020 11:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

So, basically I've come to accept that Im gay. Im 30yo, living in the midlands and know absolutely nobody in the same situation as me. Im sort of quiet and shy so Im not really out there with it. Nobody knows about me. I dont really know what to do with myself, I feel utterly locked in. It would be great if I could get to meet people but I just dont feel confident about being out.

Does anybody know if there is a gay scene in the midlands or is it mainly Dublin based? I lived in Dublin for a while but I found it very expensive to live in and doubt if I would be able to move back though it might be easier to be myself in Dublin. If I stay in the midlands I dont know if Ill be able to be my true self. Any suggestions are appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

So, basically I've come to accept that Im gay. Im 30yo, living in the midlands and know absolutely nobody in the same situation as me. Im sort of quiet and shy so Im not really out there with it. Nobody knows about me. I dont really know what to do with myself, I feel utterly locked in. It would be great if I could get to meet people but I just dont feel confident about being out.

Does anybody know if there is a gay scene in the midlands or is it mainly Dublin based? I lived in Dublin for a while but I found it very expensive to live in and doubt if I would be able to move back though it might be easier to be myself in Dublin. If I stay in the midlands I dont know if Ill be able to be my true self. Any suggestions are appreciated

Thanks

Try online dating maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Hi OP if you ask LGBT Ireland they can help you find support in your area.

https://lgbt.ie/find-support-in-your-area/

There is GLAM.

Also there is a LGBT forum here on boards.

Its under society and culture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭LastStop

Does anybody know if there is a gay scene in the midlands or is it mainly Dublin based?

I lived in Dublin for a while but I found it very expensive to live in and doubt if I would be able to move back though it might be easier to be myself in Dublin. If I stay in the midlands I dont know if Ill be able to be my true self. Any suggestions are appreciated

Thanks

Ah yes, Once you've realized your gay you must move to Dublin,it's rule 332 in the being gay handbook. :D

But seriously, Well done to you for taking the first steps and understanding and accepting yourself. Now you've can work on unlocking yourself from the unhappy situation you are in and look at different options.

Another poster linked some useful resources, don't be afraid to contact them even for a chat. Getting started is important. putting things off is easy to do but we already know from your post that your prepared skip the easy option.

Dublin is very expensive alright but maybe a house share would make it a better option, Check into bigger cities, Cork, Galway I would assume the bigger cities have more diverse communities. Or think bigger.... what about outside Ireland?

Best of luck and i hope you find your happiness.

Advertisement